Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"jediwolf.8724" said:Does anyone remember having this issue before HOT came out?For me it seems to have started with Heart of Thorns and has spread from there.Perhaps something changed in the programing?

I believe it started after "The Head of the Snake" came out or somewhere between that and "A Crack in the Ice" but it should have been a while after "A Crack in the Ice". That is when I started seeing mention of the issue popup on the bug section. This is for the cutscene related disconnects.

I have never ran into the problem but a friend of mine does or did. Apparently alt+tabbing out before the cutscene play works to avoid the problem. I mentioned this to someone on reddit and their response seem like that worked for them as well. This probably requires playing in fullscreen mode.

Reports were widespread with HoT although the reports started coming in during S2. HoT was where it just really started to be consistency noticeable for a lot of players if forum reports on the subject are anything to go by.

Got a Guardian and Mesmer to 80 in the last month or so and progressed them both through the HoT storyline. BOTH had repeated issues with crashing in Bitter Harvest and Hearts and minds near cinematics or the helix portion of the intances. Turned graphics all the way down to best performance since that's what I had to do to get my engineer through it.. >.> No issues with any cinematics prior to this point and I can jump around the helix in open world all day without crashing.

@"Jeffrey Vaughn.1793" said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

To help you track down the common problem between players experiencing this issue:

1. I'm a new player who bought the two expansions and used a lvl 80 boost. I'm now playing through the story using that boosted character.
  2. I experience disconnects if I leave the pvp "end of match" screen up for more than ~20 seconds. This happens almost 100% of the time, but if I quickly leave the match then it never happens.
  3. I experience disconnects semi-frequently while lettings dialogues/cutscenes play out, particularly if they are lengthy. This includes dungeon cutscenes (and no, this doesn't have to do with other players in my party skipping the cutscene, as it's happened when it was just me and another person; we both let the cutscene play out fully, and both were D/C at the end) and story mission cutscenes. I'm currently testing whether narrowly "clipping" dialogue by pressing next right as the character finishes speaking helps the issue. Note: If I outright skip the dialogue cutscenes, I do not experience these disconnects.
  4. I am on a wi-fi connection, with Windows 10. I have almost no other programs running in the background while playing GW2 -- not even Discord.
  5. I do not regularly experience disconnects during ANY other part of the game, yet the disconnect issues above are extremely common/reproducible for me.

I'm having the same issues. Right now, I'm stuck in Plan of Attack LS 2. After I kill the statue, a cinematic starts with Ritlock starting the ritual. After the cinematic, I get stuck with the cinematic icon still over my head, seconds laters the client kicks me put of the game and a disconnected from server error appears.

For others having this issue, I've performed the following "fixes" and my PVP disconnects appear to have stopped. Have not tested whether story disconnects have improved:

1. Updated directx
  2. Updated graphics card drivers
  3. Ran a repair scan of GW2
  4. Ran this line in admin command prompt: netsh winsock reset
  5. Added -clientport 443 to the GW2 command line
  6. Switched to "windowed fullscreen" rather than fullscreen
  7. Edited my Windows host file with the following line: 127.0.0.1 assetcdn.102.arenanetworks.com assetcdn.103.arenanetworks.com

Additional fixes I saw online are the following:

1. Delete your "local.dat" file -- be warned this will delete your game settings
  2. Delete the GW2 cache in your Appdata folder
  3. Alt-tabbing and tabbing back during cutscenes

@RickmanUK.3894 said:I Keep Getting this and so does my Cousin who's only just started playing, It's so bad that we can't Do the Final Core Story at all (Victory or Death) Sometimes we can get up too Zhaitan Spawning, sometimes it's after the first Cutscene/Coversation.

This is happening with myself and my husband as well, specifically in Victory or Death. Sometimes if we speed through all the cutscenes, we get to the part after Zhaitan's Mouth, which starts an unskippable cutscene, and then we both crash at the same time. We've done this same story 3 times yesterday, 4 times today, and it's starting to get incredibly frustrating.

For further detail, this happens in multiple different stories, usually when we're not skipping cutscenes. These same issues happen to us when playing on our own as well, so being grouped or solo does not make a difference.

We've tried rebooting our router, but I'm hesitant to make any major changes to either of our appdata/host file/etc setups. Because this is happening to both of us at the same time while we're in stories, I can't agree that this is an issue with either my or his computer.

• Like 1

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:Have you submitted bug reports in game? As I said, we're still trying to find the common denominator in the disconnects.

Aye, I have, but no response yet. I'm a bit surprised that it isn't on the list of known issues either, seeing as it's super impacting. I'm still ready to go through any in-depth troubleshooting, just need someone to reach out.

One other thing I've noticed today is that during live world events (in the Maguuma jungle region, if that's what it's called), I'd keep getting messages in my log about being removed from events due to inactivity even though I completed them and got the rewards for it. Apparently other people running the same chain of missions weren't seeing it. Might be related, not sure. Pretty sure it's the first time I'm seeing those messages.

@Matuno.3607 said:One thing I'm going to look out for is the instance's server IP. Seeing as it never happens in the open world (seems to be running on Google's cloud), but story instances are on Amazon servers...

EDIT:1 Disconnect from ec2-18-195-28-21.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com [18.195.28.21]

Can't edit an old post apparently.Disconnects onec2-18-195-67-47.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com [18.195.67.47]ec2-18-195-86-139.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com [18.195.86.139]ec2-35-158-145-59.eu-central-1.compute.amazonaws.com [35.158.145.59] (Hurray for a half hour mission that pretty much ends in what I'm guessing is the last dialog)

Should be mentioned that it's possibly not related to cutscenes per say, but always around scripted events. Be it dialog, be it a shift in mission markers, et cetera.

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:

@"Kraggy.4169" said:why are these videos deemed oh so important they can't be skipped anyway?

It varies, but (for example) when playing co-op things can go awry if some players skip the cinematic and are able to interact with the game world while other players are still watching the cinematic. The cinematic might also be used as to cover up long distance teleports that would normally require a load screen.

Maybe it's the teleport that is causing the problem? I freeze sometimes during teleports or will get booted to windows with windows coming up saying "not responding" during that point.

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:Have you submitted bug reports in game? As I said, we're still trying to find the common denominator in the disconnects.

Just found this thread, but this has been an issue for me repeatedly, most noticeably in all stories after HoT (not going to look up story names): last part of Bitterfrost, Caudecus fight, Glint's lair in the Highlands, those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, and I know with Glint's lair it happened twice.

Yes, I did submit bug reports in game, for quite a few of them, and they were probably a bit snarky as I was quite peeved that it was happening repeatedly.

I can say, with complete confidence, that each and every time it happened was when there was some followup scene to the end of the fight, I would DC somewhere around that part of the script.

(I also pointed out in several of the bug reports that a reasonable fix would be to mark the story completed after a boss fight, not at the end of the script. If the story were that important to the player, they can certainly replay at their leisure, rather than being forced to solely for the story when they have, in fact, completed the part that they were required to - the fight.) (Though now that I think about it, Im pretty sure it also happened in the kindness story with the golem. DC'ed as everyone was standing around to mourn the elder, when I reconnected I was back in the Highlands. I was annoyed that I'd have to play it again just to get the WP, but it turns out the WP has already been unlocked, so... yay?)

I hope that helps in some way.

Seeing as it's been going on for a longer time, and frankly, I'm pissed at having replayed 6 hours worth of missions in this week alone, it would be nice if one of the techies could at least tell us what they need to know?

@Matuno.3607 said:

Aye, I have, but no response yet.

In-game bug reports, like forum posts, rarely get responses from ANet. If you want them to talk to you directly, you need to file a support ticket.

However, there is absolutely no benefit in doing this: your ticket / bug will be treated equally seriously no matter which of the paths you use to report it, and ANet will work to resolve it the same way.

I am having the same issues, I dont know anything special that I can add to help find the source of the problem. I do have a question for the devs though. Why is it that when you do get disconnected while in a story instance, it instantly kicks us out of it. Most other modern MMOs where instancing is a thing, they give you a couple minutes to reconnect and when you do, you're in the exact same spot you were in when you disconnected. I am used to randomly disconnecting from games, comes with having a really bad backwoods ISP, but it really REALLY sucks to disconnect after spending 30+ minutes progressing through a story instance only to have to do it all over again.

Was going well for a while, I hoped something fixed itself, but nah.On Frozen Out, submission of A Crack in the Ice (Season 3 living world), I got disconnected after the first encounter against the Svanir while the characters were talking (I can tell because the /ip command returns nothing, and I check often).

Second time was after the end boss. Also during the conversation. I notice it because there is no mission marker appearing when they start talking, which usually is the case. Again, blank result on /ip as they were talking.

As if solo'ing Elementalist wasn't hard enough already. Sigh.

EDIT: Happened again on the same point after the boss died. Had an IP reading -directly- after the fight without problems, but seconds later into the dialog, /ip stopped responding and a disconnect was to follow. If that's not pin-pointed enough, I don't know what is.

Possible interesting development:I deleted the local.dat file at %AppData%\Roaming\Guild Wars 2, DMZ'ed my PC on my router and locked my FPS to 60, and it's so far so good.4 missions without issues so far may be a lucky streak. Will keep you updated and rule out which of these factors is the culprit.

Out of the three, I think the FPS lock is most likely the fix. People have stated that the problem is relatively rare, started occuring during Season 3, and that it happens on one computer but not the other, despite being on the same network and OS. 144hz monitors have become affordable and are becoming more mainstream since then. Knowing that many game engines also run event calculations on frames, there may be a chance that the client and server become desynchronised, leading to the server terminating the session. Wild speculation, of course. Definitely wondering if other people that have issues are also running on high frame rates / GSync / FreeSync.

@Matuno.3607 said:Wild speculation, of course. Definitely wondering if other people that have issues are also running on high frame rates / GSync / FreeSync.

I use a 144FPS monitor, with vsync enabled, but no GSync/FreeSync. I do not experience this issue in any of the PoF story instances. Not even when I go very slowly through them, for whatever reason.

I like doing the personal story with friends, but it's impossible when the game disconnects me at random. Worse off, it takes me out of the instance once I do reconnect. It's not only HoT or PoF instances which would be much more understandable. It's base game <80 personal story. I'm certain it's not my connection. I'd appreciate if this could be addressed sooner than later.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

We'd love to but a lot of the time it's a flat out kick to character select (or game termination). So we couldn't submit a bug report using the in-game function as that would report the wrong gamestate.

Having run into the issue myself a few times i can say that it generally occurs with lengthy monologues and something changing state in the environment be it a door (see Joko and The Departed) or elevator (see the Char and Roof Escape in the recent LS chapter).

I've had this happen at almost every POF mission, and on two different computers. An earlier thread suggested that it was due to graphics card issues, but the PC I'm currently using is completely up to date driver-wise and should absolutely not have this problem. I've just come back to play after almost two years, and I'm trying to enjoy the POF story, but it's super disheartening.Edit: The last DC I had was after the Balt fight. I believe he paused to say something or do something (I hadn't completed the instance before) and essentially froze for three minutes before I was actually kicked.

@aquarian.3951 said:

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

We'd love to but a lot of the time it's a flat out kick to character select (or game termination). So we couldn't submit a bug report using the in-game function as that would report the wrong gamestate.

Having run into the issue myself a few times i can say that it generally occurs with lengthy monologues and something changing state in the environment be it a door (see Joko and The Departed) or elevator (see the Char and Roof Escape in the recent LS chapter).

I've had this happen at almost every POF mission, and on two different computers. An earlier thread suggested that it was due to graphics card issues, but the PC I'm currently using is completely up to date driver-wise and should absolutely not have this problem. I've just come back to play after almost two years, and I'm trying to enjoy the POF story, but it's super disheartening.Edit: The last DC I had was after the Balt fight. I believe he paused to say something or do something (I hadn't completed the instance before) and essentially froze for three minutes before I was actually kicked.

Are you running a high framerate, possibly with a 144hz monitor? I've had the bug every other missions from Season 2 through to PoF, and locking the game to 60FPS and deleting the local.dat file at %AppData%\Roaming\Guild Wars 2 has fixed it for me. May want to try that?

Just tried to do the last part of head of the snake twice, managed to get through the mansion and kill Claudious ( SP?) both times, get back into the main library, my companions start there spiel ( sylvari breathing in etc) then dumped both times at the same place. not entirely happy as im not only losing time but im losing disposables as well.
any particular reason that actually trying to follow the story line is discouraged? or do I have to try to do it a certain number of time before it'll let me pass?