Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

I've had it forever in wvw especially in big fights it'll like minimize the client and then right click onto the desktop. In the past I've tried different methods of locking out the alt tabbing with this and other programs that may be running but nothing ever stops it.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another issue that may or may not be related to the flash to desktop/alt-tab problem also started for me after the April W10 update, and there is a thread about it as well https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38922/log-in-click-play-nothing-happens#latest . That is the "disappearing client" issue. Start client, log in, click PLAY, and hey-presto, the client just flat out disappears without a trace. I can restart the client, and the exact same thing happens...no warning, no error messages, just poof...gone. The only way to fix the issue that I've found is to reboot the computer. I've added the disappearing client issue to my support ticket about the flash to desktop problem.

Just for the record, the flash to desktop issue doesn't happen when I run in Windowed Fullscreen mode, only in Fullscreen mode.

Does this only happen with GW2 or does it happen with any game? I had a similar issue before where anything full screened or even just windowed mode would lose focus and tab out... I had to reinstall windows to fix the issue, I was thinking it was some sort of malware because it happened twice in quick successions every few hours, causing my cursor to use the loading animation...

Only happening on this game in Fullscreen only. Windowed Fullscreen is fine. Completely disrupts discord audio when it flashes to desktop during map change or launch. W.o.W. , RIFT, and SWTOR are fine. No issues with these so it's definitely this game. Ran DDU, Reinstalled graphics drivers, repaired game client, and made sure Windows 10 is updated along with my processor. All are fine on my end. please fix soo, it's killing my Discord convo

@Amhiel.6195 said:Only happening on this game in Fullscreen only. Windowed Fullscreen is fine. Completely disrupts discord audio when it flashes to desktop during map change or launch. W.o.W. , RIFT, and SWTOR are fine. No issues with these so it's definitely this game. Ran DDU, Reinstalled graphics drivers, repaired game client, and made sure Windows 10 is updated along with my processor. All are fine on my end. please fix soo, it's killing my Discord convo

waves Assuming this is the guildy I was talking to...I run windowed, have the same graphics card he does (nvidia gtx1070), and haven't experienced this problem.

I am having this problem as well since installing the Windows 10 Spring Update. As described above: flashing to desktop upon logging in with a character and also when switching maps. Though I noticed it does not do it when switching between your home instance and Divinity's Reach.

Radeon RX 480 so yes this affects AMD cards as well. Radeon drivers are dated 4/25/2018 (Released 4/30/2018). Fullscreen@1080

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:I'll go and find and round up all the threads and leave them here in Account and Technical Support.

My thread has been merged with a totally different issue of flashing once per login.All the people that were replying to mine said they had the same which was flashing to desktop on ALL loading screens only since the April windows 10 update.

The post it has been merged with is flashing to desktop once per login back from in January. Not the same thing at all...Please can you unmerge from this unrelated January thread.

Also surely this is a bug as so many people replied with the same problem. This is also before the April win 10 update is pushed to all users.

@holodoc.5748 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've not heard of it at all, nor are we seeing it on social media.

Windows 10 April update (build 1803)

Glitch happens on every map change except when entering and exiting home instances.

Also initial display of character selection screen after login is much longer than before (approximately ten seconds compared to a couple before).

Yup this is it. Every loading screen gets this and I agree the initial character screen is much longer than before.

Only got it right after April Windows 10 update.

Lots of people have this now so maybe you can acknowledge this problem Abet

@"holodoc.5748" said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_XK9fN90k

Windows 10 April update (build 1803)

Glitch happens on every map change except when entering and exiting home instances.

Also initial display of character selection screen after login is much longer than before (approximately ten seconds compared to a couple before).

Oh, I'm in the same boat since win10 April update and this video shows the problem perfectly (flashing to desktop upon logging in with a character and also when switching maps).

So, what we can do with this trouble?

Me too, just started with the Windows April update. Pretty much the same experience as shown in holodoc's video except where they are getting a load screen with a quick flash to the desktop I'm getting a quick flash of the load screen then a longer period on the desktop, though the actual time to load the new map doesn't seem to have increased overall . . .

Obv this isn't gamebreaking but it is kind of jarring and breaks immersion, plus I get less time with the load screen art, a lot of which is really beautiful . . .

Guys you might wanna send a ticket. I did and they said the following. I bet they won't do anything about it until lots of people send tickets. Clearly a problem their side...

Since the issue began only after the Windows update from April 2018, and since we've yet to see an influx of tickets or bug reports regarding this issue, I think that suggests that this is more than likely a compatibility issue from Windows or one of its programs, less so from the game

Okay, so it doesn't fix it 100% but it does speed up the "Flicker" or "ALT+Tab Process" and so far it shows a Black Screen instead of my Desktop.

If you Right Click on your GW2 Shortcut and go to Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change settings for all users > Check Disable Fullscreen Optimizations > Click Okay.

I don't know if it helps with any Discord Audio issues.

@"Nikon.3921" said:Okay, so it doesn't fix it 100% but it does speed up the "Flicker" or "ALT+Tab Process" and so far it shows a Black Screen instead of my Desktop.

If you Right Click on your GW2 Shortcut and go to Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change settings for all users > Check Disable Fullscreen Optimizations > Click Okay.

Didn't do a thing for me

@Heather.4823 said:Guys you might wanna send a ticket. I did and they said the following. I bet they won't do anything about it until lots of people send tickets. Clearly a problem their side...

Since the issue began only after the Windows update from April 2018, and since we've yet to see an influx of tickets or bug reports regarding this issue, I think that suggests that this is more than likely a compatibility issue from Windows or one of its programs, less so from the game

I sent a ticket in a couple of days ago...No response as of yet.

It's the game popping out of DirectX exclusive mode during loading screens. I haven't had it happen with other games that use exclusive for full screen so I suspect it's something changed in the game client. It seems like it started happening around the beginning of April maybe?

@AnClar.1304 said:

@Heather.4823 said:Guys you might wanna send a ticket. I did and they said the following. I bet they won't do anything about it until lots of people send tickets. Clearly a problem their side...

I sent a ticket in a couple of days ago...No response as of yet.

Took them ages to reply to me but hopefully the more people to send a ticket will help. :+1:

They asked me to send a log but as I said to them it is pointless for one person to do it, they should be asking all affected to do it...

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks,

Even while the CS Team is super busy, we would like to ask you to submit a ticket to them, so that they can gather more information and help you out, too! You should use "technical support" as the reason or the "bucket" for your ticket, to best assign it.

They may well ask you to send in a report or a log, and that would be very helpful because it helps identify common issues and parse those that are distinctive to separate individuals and then provide assistance in either area, as they are able to.

Thanks so much!

I want to throw my name in the "me too" list... Ever since the Windows update to 1803, GW2 will drop to desktop on any map loading screens. Game plays fine other than that, but it's like clockwork on any loading screens, drops to desktop for 10 seconds or so, then back to the game.

@"smsarasin.3468" said:I want to throw my name in the "me too" list... Ever since the Windows update to 1803, GW2 will drop to desktop on any map loading screens. Game plays fine other than that, but it's like clockwork on any loading screens, drops to desktop for 10 seconds or so, then back to the game.

@Heather.4823 said:

@"Nikon.3921" said:Okay, so it doesn't fix it 100% but it does speed up the "Flicker" or "ALT+Tab Process" and so far it shows a Black Screen instead of my Desktop.

Didn't do a thing for me

Shucks. What's funny, is it's actually not doing the ALT+Tab or the Black flicker screen anymore... it's acting normal again.

I pretty sure I found the issue. I finally had a chance to check out some of the new features to the April Update and customize what I do and don't want running. And I remember coming across the Focus Assist that still had one option set to ON And it's "When I'm playing a game" I turned it OFF that and didn't think twice about it, until just now. I just turned it back ON and it's doing it again.

This is for Windows 10 Version 1803

• Start Button (you can type Focus Assist Settings and it should be there, if not follow next steps)
  • Settings (Little Gear)
  • System
  • Focus Assist
  • Turn off "When I'm playing a game"

I'm able to reproduce the issue like clockwork every time I change the settings. You may have you reboot after, but I didn't have to.

@"Nikon.3921" said:I pretty sure I found the issue. I finally had a chance to check out some of the new features to the April Update and customize what I do and don't want running. And I remember coming across the Focus Assist that still had one option set to ON And it's "When I'm playing a game" I turned it OFF that and didn't think twice about it, until just now. I just turned it back ON and it's doing it again.

This is for Windows 10 Version 1803

• Start Button (you can type Focus Assist Settings and it should be there, if not follow next steps)
  • Settings (Little Gear)
  • System
  • Focus Assist
  • Turn off "When I'm playing a game"

I'm able to reproduce the issue like clockwork every time I change the settings. You may have you reboot after, but I didn't have to.

Thankyou for this solution!