Daredevil - Suntouched Scythe — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Daredevil - Suntouched Scythe

Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭
edited May 10, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

So, today I bought the Suntouched Scythe Staff skin from the Gem Store and I looks amazing but once I started using my auto-attack on my Daredevil I noticed that the animation looks silly. My character is not slicing the enemy but instead bashing it with the other side of the staff.

Here is a GIF: Auto-attack demo
The GIF has been slowed a bit so you can notice that some movements have some slicing but most of them are the character bashing the golem.

I feel kinda betrayed because this looks pretty bad, and I just wanted to look as cool as Amala with her scythe animation.

Comments

  • Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Yes, bashing people with scythes look really stupid. I expect more from gemstore skins.

  • MarshallLaw.9260MarshallLaw.9260 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Akath.2650 said:
    So, today I bought the Suntouched Scythe Staff skin from the Gem Store and I looks amazing but once I started using my auto-attack on my Daredevil I noticed that the animation looks silly. My character is not slicing the enemy but instead bashing it with the other side of the staff.

    Here is a GIF: Auto-attack demo
    The GIF has been slowed a bit so you can notice that some movements have some slicing but most of them are the character bashing the golem.

    I feel kinda betrayed because this looks pretty bad, and I just wanted to look as cool as Amala with her scythe animation.

    I guess it's just because DD staff design pre-dates any in-game scythes. Staff was intended to be a blunt weapon also so probably tricky to translate.
    Perhaps they can change some of the animations by editing the angle of any staff in the hands of a thief to match the blade trajectory on scythes. I'm not aware how much work this would be but maybe not a priority since we only have 6(I believe) scythe skins in total.

  • Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭

    @artemis.6781 said:
    You only reskinned your staff. Does your original staff make a slicing motion? Mine does not. So I wouldn't expect it to suddenly change. Before HoT we had wings for back pieces; did we suddenly think we could fly? No. If you feel that strongly about your betrayal, then email customer service and ask for a refund. It may work or it may not. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

    Well, they could just simply readjust the animation so the scythe blade would slice the enemy instead of you bashing it with the rod. It's not much, just to create an illusion.
    Also, this is different from the wings, people knew that they couldn't fly and when HoT came out Anet turned it into a glider.

  • Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

    @MarshallLaw.9260 said:
    I guess it's just because DD staff design pre-dates any in-game scythes. Staff was intended to be a blunt weapon also so probably tricky to translate.
    Perhaps they can change some of the animations by editing the angle of any staff in the hands of a thief to match the blade trajectory on scythes. I'm not aware how much work this would be but maybe not a priority since we only have 6(I believe) scythe skins in total.

    Yeah, but yet the auto-attack on Revenants look fine with that staff and same for the other staff skills on Daredevil.
    Edit: Also, there was a scythe skin that pre-dates DD Scythe Staff

  • MarshallLaw.9260MarshallLaw.9260 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Akath.2650 said:

    @MarshallLaw.9260 said:
    I guess it's just because DD staff design pre-dates any in-game scythes. Staff was intended to be a blunt weapon also so probably tricky to translate.
    Perhaps they can change some of the animations by editing the angle of any staff in the hands of a thief to match the blade trajectory on scythes. I'm not aware how much work this would be but maybe not a priority since we only have 6(I believe) scythe skins in total.

    Yeah, but yet the auto-attack on Revenants look fine with that staff and same for the other staff skills on Daredevil.
    Edit: Also, there was a scythe skin that pre-dates DD Scythe Staff

    Good point, that does pre-date, as does Final Rest I guess.

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Akath.2650 said:

    @MarshallLaw.9260 said:
    I guess it's just because DD staff design pre-dates any in-game scythes. Staff was intended to be a blunt weapon also so probably tricky to translate.
    Perhaps they can change some of the animations by editing the angle of any staff in the hands of a thief to match the blade trajectory on scythes. I'm not aware how much work this would be but maybe not a priority since we only have 6(I believe) scythe skins in total.

    Yeah, but yet the auto-attack on Revenants look fine with that staff and same for the other staff skills on Daredevil.
    Edit: Also, there was a scythe skin that pre-dates DD Scythe Staff

    This one too: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Final_Rest

    Exactly, I think that if you simply flipped the scythe blade 180 degrees for this animation it would look better for the scythes and wouldn't have much of an impact on the other staves in the game (most of them it wouldn't have any).

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gallery_of_staves

  • Maikimaik.1974Maikimaik.1974 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't think it looks that bad?

  • Ephemiel.5694Ephemiel.5694 Member ✭✭✭

    If you think that's bad, you need to watch the daggers that are not held with a reverse grip.

  • Azure The Heartless.3261Azure The Heartless.3261 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

    Using the scythe that way makes sense from a practical perspective.
    Whacking the sharp point of a scythe against anything that isnt 100% flesh will shatter the blade. It would be more effective to sharpen the top end of the scythe's blade and sweep it across your opponent. That way you get lacerations and protect the blade.

    The same technique applies to swords.

    (Not that I think this was intended but it's interesting. )

    [Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

  • Ephemiel.5694Ephemiel.5694 Member ✭✭✭

    @Azure The Heartless.3261 said:
    Using the scythe that way makes sense from a practical perspective.
    Whacking the sharp point of a scythe against anything that isnt 100% flesh will shatter the blade. It would be more effective to sharpen the top end of the scythe's blade and sweep it across your opponent. That way you get lacerations and protect the blade.

    The same technique applies to swords.

    (Not that I think this was intended but it's interesting. )

    Practical perspective on a game with magic, dragons, undead kings, teleporting and plant people. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

  • Azure The Heartless.3261Azure The Heartless.3261 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

    @Ephemiel.5694 said:

    @Azure The Heartless.3261 said:
    Using the scythe that way makes sense from a practical perspective.
    Whacking the sharp point of a scythe against anything that isnt 100% flesh will shatter the blade. It would be more effective to sharpen the top end of the scythe's blade and sweep it across your opponent. That way you get lacerations and protect the blade.

    The same technique applies to swords.

    (Not that I think this was intended but it's interesting. )

    Practical perspective on a game with magic, dragons, undead kings, teleporting and plant people. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

    "The scythe is magic and is actually sharper when used as a club."

    Better?

    The orientation of the blade doesn't matter. I was just pointing out that you can use it that way to great effect. It's not wrong/in need of a fix. And since the OP seems to be concerned with a realistic/practical scythe animation...

    Idunno. Unbound magic. Whatever.

    [Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This is one of the reasons I never understood why people wanted a scythe skin so much. Of course it's going to look silly wielded like a staff. And the daredevil swing is clearly accompanied by sound effects like a stick would make striking something and swinging through the air, so I don't know what you were expecting. You've selected an inappropriate skin, that's all.

  • Azure The Heartless.3261Azure The Heartless.3261 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

    Oh, it's also oriented the way the OP wants on charr. So, yknow. reroll an anthropomorphized [email protected] if you want your scythe to swing correctly.

    [Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Akath.2650 said:
    Yeah, but yet the auto-attack on Revenants look fine with that staff

    No it doesn't. You end up stabbing the enemy with the point of the scythe.

    I won't even get into a discussion of how you'd really use a scythe as a weapon - you mow the enemy by cutting him off at the ankles. Knees on an Asura, I guess. The blade on a real scythe is angled so that it is horizontal when you swing it to cut at that height.

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭

    It's just silly if you had a scythe in your hand and an enemy show up, would you really bash it to death or slice/impale it with its blade? And it looks even sillier from the back. Back View

    The revenant animation looks way more appropriate. Link

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Meh none of the twirling bits makes any sense regardless of orientation anyway.

  • Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    No it doesn't. You end up stabbing the enemy with the point of the scythe.

    I won't even get into a discussion of how you'd really use a scythe as a weapon - you mow the enemy by cutting him off at the ankles. Knees on an Asura, I guess. The blade on a real scythe is angled so that it is horizontal when you swing it to cut at that height.

    Guys, you are missing the point. It's not realism or how-to-use it, its the freaking blade that's there and it just not being used. This is a game, stop overthinking!

  • OrbitalButt.5708OrbitalButt.5708 Member ✭✭✭

    If I want reality I'll walk outside and eat a flower

  • Ygomogad.1836Ygomogad.1836 Member ✭✭

    It would have been better as a greatsword skin

  • Azure The Heartless.3261Azure The Heartless.3261 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018

    @Akath.2650 said:
    Guys, you are missing the point. It's not realism or how-to-use it, its the freaking blade that's there and it just not being used. This is a game, stop overthinking!

    Read this again and then slowly realize the irony.

    [Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

  • Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭

    @Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

    @Akath.2650 said:
    Guys, you are missing the point. It's not realism or how-to-use it, its the freaking blade that's there and it just not being used. This is a game, stop overthinking!

    Read this again and then slowly realize the irony.

    Yeah, I knew that but some people here are overthinking more than me. I'm pointing out that I'm bashing enemies with a scythe like a fool while some are like "but if you change this it's realistic wrong" in a game where you throw a greatsword and it comes back like a boomerang. I just wish it looked visually better.

  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Akath.2650 said:

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    No it doesn't. You end up stabbing the enemy with the point of the scythe.

    I won't even get into a discussion of how you'd really use a scythe as a weapon - you mow the enemy by cutting him off at the ankles. Knees on an Asura, I guess. The blade on a real scythe is angled so that it is horizontal when you swing it to cut at that height.

    Guys, you are missing the point. It's not realism or how-to-use it, its the freaking blade that's there and it just not being used. This is a game, stop overthinking!

    Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the Daredevil smacks the foe with the blunt end, while the Revenant stabs the foe with the pointy end. Neither of them looks right if you watch closely.

    Solution: don't watch closely.

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

    Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the Daredevil smacks the foe with the blunt end, while the Revenant stabs the foe with the pointy end. Neither of them looks right if you watch closely.

    Solution: don't watch closely.

    You are right!

  • Charrbeque.8729Charrbeque.8729 Member ✭✭✭

    I've been working on my revenant lately and the suntouched scythe skin works great with the staff animations. That's probably what they had in mind when designing the skin.

    Makes total sense. In GW1 the dervish profession was basically a heavy armor class (same class as warrior). In GW2 revenant is a heavy armor class, and probably the closest we'll ever get to an actual dervish profession.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Akath.2650 said:
    It's just silly if you had a scythe in your hand and an enemy show up, would you really bash it to death or slice/impale it with its blade? And it looks even sillier from the back. Back View

    The revenant animation looks way more appropriate. Link

    If you want to discuss reality, if I had a scythe and wanted to use it as a weapon , I would straighten the blade or remove it so as to be able to use it as a spear or a stave.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Maikimaik.1974 said:
    I don't think it looks that bad?

    Agree. Sometimes you just have to pretend a little when it comes to MMOs... Like pretending a scythe is a better and practical weapon compared to a Bo staff.

  • Krypto.2069Krypto.2069 Member ✭✭✭

    I feel your pain, OP! :disappointed:

    I would so love it if Anet came out with more equally weighted staves for DD and Rev. (There are a few out there like Bo, but not nearly enough imo.)
    And, heck, I'd really L :love: VE it if they released an equally weighted LEGENDARY Staff!!! Imagine that! :mrgreen:
    I'd make it in a heart-beat! :smiley:

    Moonlight [THRU]

  • Warkind.6745Warkind.6745 Member ✭✭✭

    Suntouched scythe should be a gathering tool, because realism.

    All is vain.

  • Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭

    If they changed the animation a little bit it could look as good as this Dervish Attack

  • Tman.6349Tman.6349 Member ✭✭

    Just do yourself a favor and use the Dominator skin. Got it instantly after seeing it long ago. It's the best. Animations look amazing.

  • Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I use Lightward's Battlestaff. It has a classy martial arts look to it, a knife edge like a naginata to slice, and the semi-blunt end to bash.

    "That's what" -- She

  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Charrbeque.8729 said:
    Makes total sense. In GW1 the dervish profession was basically a heavy armor class (same class as warrior). In GW2 revenant is a heavy armor class, and probably the closest we'll ever get to an actual dervish profession.

    No, Dervish was medium (max=70) armour with bonus health, while Warrior was heavy (max=80).

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • Charrbeque.8729Charrbeque.8729 Member ✭✭✭

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

    @Charrbeque.8729 said:
    Makes total sense. In GW1 the dervish profession was basically a heavy armor class (same class as warrior). In GW2 revenant is a heavy armor class, and probably the closest we'll ever get to an actual dervish profession.

    No, Dervish was medium (max=70) armour with bonus health, while Warrior was heavy (max=80).

    I stand corrected.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.