How to balance every single thing that's bad on Engineer [PvP]

Chaith.8256

@"Atmaweapon.7345" said:So Short Fuse would basically double bomb kit's dps? Doesn't that sound a little out of hand? That's basically the same problem as launch Grenadier on steroids. Removing or reducing the arming time further would make more sense. It's also kind of problematic swapping this over to Inventions, I completely understand trying not to give Holo access to this by putting it on the same tier as Anti-corrosion plating, but I don't think that's worth making traitlines weird this way. Giving Inventions a good offensive trait is fine, but gouging out Explosives' own niche is kind of iffy.

In general I'm going to have to disagree with any suggestion to add Projectile Velocity onto traits. Those types of traits are a relic of the past; Engineer is currently the only profession in the game with a Projectile Velocity talent. Projectile Velocity should be baked into these kits the exact same way Ranger Longbow got its 100% Projectile Velocity increase. If any kit needs a specific trait to function correctly, just bake those effects into the kits themselves and make the traits do something else. That means baking in a 100% Velocity increase to Grenades and Mortar kit with a rework to Grenadier.

Finally, this might be a shameless insert, but how about a trait that goes:

-When below X Barrier, attacks grant up to X Barrier.

The reasoning being that Flamethrower and Grenades are absolutely wrecked by any source of retaliation. This trait would help normalize retaliation by preemptively putting up a barrier which gets eaten by retaliation which then lets the next hit grant barrier again since you're below the threshold. It also indirectly helps against sustained condition damage by possibly putting up a barrier for every tick. Since Scourges don't have a monopoly on barrier anymore, this was the best idea I could come up with that helps with these issues without being designed specifically as a hardcounter. (A hardcounter would be "Retaliation does less damage to you.")

Short fuse suggestion shouldn't affect the cast time of Bomb #1.

Edit: Mortar is very usable without the velocity increase though, just more in point-blank field generation role. It would definitely be a mode change rather than needed for it to be viable.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im thinking about the mortar trait.

I think traits ideally should change how you play or atleast how you look at certain aspects of your kit. The idea of having a trait that allows you to beef up mortar is good (ideally it would turn it from a support tool to an actual weapon of destruction). I don't mind that its slow or clunky, impractical but awesome is-... well, its awesome! . Problem is that its boring and impractical for offensive purposes and mildly effective as a support/combo spam machine (but even more boring). How about the flash shell then? It got a decent cooldown, and it requires the player to act with a certain purpose instead of having an effect be a passive boring on trigger trait (that gets nerfed because while they love handing out rockets and bombs on crits or whatever, they hate (or rather the pvp community as a whole) that you are using it effectively (and they really are boring, even though not as boring as a X% damage modifier)).

My idea would be to have a small orbital bombardment volley on the impact site of the flash shell after a long delay, changing flash shell from a flash bang to a signal flare telling everyone to gtfo. And get rid of the party sparkler that is the current strike.

@miriforst.1290 said:Im thinking about the mortar trait.

I think traits ideally should change how you play or atleast how you look at certain aspects of your kit. The idea of having a trait that allows you to beef up mortar is good (ideally it would turn it from a support tool to an actual weapon of destruction). I don't mind that its slow or clunky, impractical but awesome is-... well, its awesome! . Problem is that its boring and impractical for offensive purposes and mildly effective as a support/combo spam machine (but even more boring). How about the flash shell then? It got a decent cooldown, and it requires the player to act with a certain purpose instead of having an effect be a passive boring on trigger trait (that gets nerfed because while they love handing out rockets and bombs on crits or whatever, they hate (or rather the pvp community as a whole) that you are using it effectively (and they really are boring, even though not as boring as a X% damage modifier)).

My idea would be to have a small orbital bombardment volley on the impact site of the flash shell after a long delay, changing flash shell from a flash bang to a signal flare telling everyone to gtfo. And get rid of the party sparkler that is the current strike.

I put aside most skill re-work suggestions if possible, in favor of number tweaks, extending functionalities, etc. I think the best way to make a weapon of destruction out of Mortar is allowing the player to more consistently land it - velocity. I will add a note to increase orbital strike damage though... It's currently pathetic and balanced around the old tools trait line where it hit twice with Orbital Command.

@"zoopop.5630" said:not sure if "heat therapy" has been brought up or discus but..... it's a useless passive trait from the holo spec. Completely out of place and pretty useless imo.

It's far from useless. It's like a free heal skill every time you fill the heat bar. Check your combat log and see how much it heals from a full bar (even more with ECSU). I agree it is out of place though. If they ever want to nerf Holo sustain, they could chip away at that or replace it with something else. Maybe swap it with a major trait?

• 2 weeks later...

@"zoopop.5630" said:not sure if "heat therapy" has been brought up or discus but..... it's a useless passive trait from the holo spec. Completely out of place and pretty useless imo.

Heat therapy is great. It's the main reason you can run demolishers amulet due to the sustain on demand from vent-exhaust

Small update to Flame Turret, it was more of a smokescreen turret with my proposal to end auto-attacking turrets.

• Flame Turret Overcharge, overcharges immediately, in addition to its blind effect, Smoke Screen burns enemies on the same interval. Added burning pitch gfx to the smokescreen.

With a recent update lots of the Engineer's healing support traits got some support of their own.

Here's what I would tweak upwards in order to allow the Support capabilities to really be in a respectable spot. I've been making it a mission all week to master Support Scrapper.

Support Scrapper is rather difficult right now due to a couple issues:

• Bandage Blast VERY hard to get any support value out of. Then sometimes it heals for 7k. At its best when stars align, it's OP, and on average it's not worth using over Med-Blaster unless your ally is immobile. A compromise still needs to be reached.
  • Granting barriers needs to be added to the support arsenal.
  • Personal survivability is a slight problem when going full support.

Suggestions to fix these issues:

• Bandage Self: New: Cast time reduced to .75s to be consistent with other heals.

• Med Kit #2: Reduced bandages launched from 5 to 3. Drastically increased the hitbox of bandage projectiles and tightened spread. Un-used bandages at the end of the arc will spawn on the ground for 5 seconds.

• Comeback Cure: Currently: Removing conditions grants regeneration. New: Removing conditions grants barrier and partially revives allies. 500 Barrier, 5% downed state health.

Notes: With Comeback Cure, Engi could keep its allies alive by really focusing on condi removal, as intended. Offering overkill regeneration is not currently worth using. Small barriers would stabilize your allies much better. The partial revive on condi removal would allow the Engineer a safer alternative to pressing F for 15% downstate health a second, provided he has cooldowns to blow. (Also since downed allies can't receive barrier.)

@Chaith.8256 said:

• Bandage Self: New: Cast time reduced to .75s to be consistent with other heals.

I agree. It would be nice to reduce the cast time, since you get nothing from the skill other than healing.

• Med Kit #2: Reduced bandages launched from 5 to 3. Drastically increased the hitbox of bandage projectiles and tightened spread. Un-used bandages at the end of the arc will spawn on the ground for 5 seconds.

I was thinking if this skill used the ammo system and you had up to 5 bandages. This and being able to target allies and shoot one bandage at them at a time would make the skill more consistent.

• Comeback Cure: Currently: Removing conditions grants regeneration. New: Removing conditions grants barrier and partially revives allies. 500 Barrier, 5% downed state health.

Notes: With Comeback Cure, Engi could keep its allies alive by really focusing on condi removal, as intended. Offering overkill regeneration is not currently worth using. Small barriers would stabilize your allies much better. The partial revive on condi removal would allow the Engineer a safer alternative to pressing F for 15% downstate health a second, provided he has cooldowns to blow. (Also since downed allies can't receive barrier.)

These are some nice suggestions. While I love the rework on the Med Kit, I think it can be made even better.

Other things that I'd like to be improved with the kit are:

1. Reduce the cooldown on Infusion Bomb from 30 seconds to 20 seconds
  2. Increase the healing on Med Blaster. Also, remove the increased healing allies get from the number of boons they have. It sucks that in order for Med Blaster to be useful, your allies needs to have a plentiful amount of boons.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

These are some nice suggestions. While I love the rework on the Med Kit, I think it can be made even better.

2. Increase the healing on Med Blaster. Also, remove the increased healing allies get from the number of boons they have. It sucks that in order for Med Blaster to be useful, your allies needs to have a plentiful amount of boons.

A lower cooldown on Infusion Bomb I'm pretty indifferent about. I find it to be not a hugely impactful skill as the boons granted are pretty common.

Med-Blaster I feel does not need a big bump. It's a filler auto-attack, and worth using for sure. I could see maybe increasing it by 10-15% tops.

I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with scaling from 1000 to 1200 per cast when they have a full bar of boons. Purity of Purpose and cleansing conditions greatly synergize with the mechanic.

It's not a perfect kit but the only really problematic Med-Kit skill is Bandage Blast, imo.

Of course I agree with your assessment of the skills but I think if they stayed as-is it'd be ok.

@Chaith.8256 said:

A lower cooldown on Infusion Bomb I'm pretty indifferent about. I find it to be not a hugely impactful skill as the boons granted are pretty common.

The reason for me wanting to reduce the cooldown on Infusion Bomb is not because of the boons, but because it's a blast finisher and being able to do the Med Kit rotation 4, 3, 5, extra blast finisher more often would be a step in the right direction and would make support engineer more impactful. When Cleansing Field goes off cooldown, Infusion Bomb is not off cooldown, so you're left with skipping 5 from the rotation to the extra blast finisher like the one from the Elixir Gun.

It's not a perfect kit but the only really problematic Med-Kit skill is Bandage Blast, imo.

Of course I agree with your assessment of the skills but I think if they stayed as-is it'd be ok.

I do think that it would work better if Bandage Blast worked like the way I suggested. In its' current state you have to be really close to someone in order to heal them. I believe that being able to throw bandages at allies using the ammo system would make it more consistent.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

The reason for me wanting to reduce the cooldown on Infusion Bomb is not because of the boons, but because it's a blast finisher and being able to do the Med Kit rotation 4, 3, 5, extra blast finisher more often would be a step in the right direction and would make support engineer more impactful. When Cleansing Field goes off cooldown, Infusion Bomb is not off cooldown, so you're left with skipping 5 from the rotation to the extra blast finisher like the one from the Elixir Gun.

I do think that it would work better if Bandage Blast worked like the way I suggested. In its' current state you have to be really close to someone in order to heal them. I believe that being able to throw bandages at allies using the ammo system would make it more consistent.

Keep in mind you can blast every second Cleansing Field with Infusion bomb, lowering CD by 10s still puts it on a 5s cooldown when your next Cleansing Field comes up. I'd rather it got a 15s cooldown and boon duration halved, to be honest!

@Chaith.8256 said:With a recent update lots of the Engineer's healing support traits got some support of their own.

Here's what I would tweak upwards in order to allow the Support capabilities to really be in a respectable spot. I've been making it a mission all week to master Support Scrapper.

• Bandage Blast VERY hard to get any support value out of. Then sometimes it heals for 7k. At its best when stars align, it's OP, and on average it's not worth using over Med-Blaster unless your ally is immobile. A compromise still needs to be reached.

I think bandage blast should be changed to something like Medical Kit Supply, and drop a medpack on the ground that heals allies (and the self) around it for however many seconds, then disappears. The idea comes from the game Battlefield 3/4, where the medics drop a medkit and if you're near it, you're slowly healed over time. Of course, on gw2 there would have to be a short uptime to prevent the said med pack from being OP as heck. But it could also be great for a little mobility in terms of how you support your allies.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@michelada.2947 said:engi just need a rework

Especially with the last patch we have 3 times as many useful mechanics compared to professions like Rev which are 75% trash in PvP. Engi gets some ArenaNet love lately, can't take that for granted.

still need a rework , just because we got some love doesn't mean there are no room for improvement, half of the kits need some fixes

I took a more complete pass on Scrapper, improving Gyros, Bruiser/damage setups.

Scrapper

General Gyro Changes:

Due to lack of incentive to keep Gyros alive, (pathing, A.I, longer cooldown), Gyros have been tweaked to be more reliable and never punished for being kept alive longer.

• Cooldown of Gyros begins on activation, not death.
  • Cooldown of Bulwark, Purge, Shredder, Medic increased to 25 seconds cooldown in all game modes.
  • Maximum Gyro lifespan set to 15s for Bulwark, Purge, Medic.

Hammer:
1.) Electro Whirl's reflect effect activates immediately.

Utility skills1.) Medic Gyro: Reconstruction Field instant to return to consistency with Defense Field.

2.) Medic Gyro: Heals in a 600 radius to be consistent with Bulwark's Watchful Eye buff.

3.) Purge Gyro: Removes conditions as a caster with 600 range instead of pathing to and booping allies.

4.) Shredder Gyro: Each strike from shredder gyro rends the protection boon from enemies.

5.) Spare Capacitor: Dazes over the 4 pulses, daze duration reduced from 2s to .5s.

Traits1.) Shocking Speed - Currently: Leap & Blast finishers in lightning fields applies 5 seconds of superspeed around you. New: All leap and blast finishers apply 3 seconds of Superspeed around you, internal cooldown removed.

4.) Expert Examination - Trait removed and replaced. New: High Performance Alloy - Activated Gyros take no damage for 3 seconds and grant protection to nearby allies. 3s Protection, 240 radius.

5.) Mass Momentum - Currently: Gain power based on your toughness, gain might when you have stability. New: While under the effects of stability, ignore the effects of weakness and gain might.

6.) Final Salvo: Currently: Spawn a lightning field when a gyro is destroyed, granting Superspeed.New: Lightning field now mobile and centered around the Scrapper's position rather than where the Gyro dies.

7.) Applied force: Currently: Gain quickness when you gain might above the threshold. New: In addition to its current effects, while under the effects of quickness, Hammer attacks inflict 20% more damage.

@Ghos.1326 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:With a recent update lots of the Engineer's healing support traits got some support of their own.

I think bandage blast should be changed to something like Medical Kit Supply, and drop a medpack on the ground that heals allies (and the self) around it for however many seconds, then disappears. The idea comes from the game Battlefield 3/4, where the medics drop a medkit and if you're near it, you're slowly healed over time. Of course, on gw2 there would have to be a short uptime to prevent the said med pack from being OP as heck. But it could also be great for a little mobility in terms of how you support your allies.

My recommendation is to make Bandage Blast similar to the toolbelt skill from Supply Crate, Med Pack Drop. I'd love to see Bandage Blast like this. It would also be nice if the bandages have labels like the revenants' tablets so allies can see and pick them up to heal themselves.

Another thing with the bandages is that you can also pick them up yourself. Some may say that this will be unbalanced that the engineer can pick these bandages every 8 seconds, that this will make the bunker engineer even stronger. I don't think that it will be that bad. Quite frankly, it's about time engineer, especially core engineer gets some love when it comes to his kits. Now all that's left are to buff the rest of the kits.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

My recommendation is to make Bandage Blast similar to the toolbelt skill from Supply Crate, Med Pack Drop. I'd love to see Bandage Blast like this. It would also be nice if the bandages have labels like the revenants' tablets so allies can see and pick them up to heal themselves.

Another thing with the bandages is that you can also pick them up yourself. Some may say that this will be unbalanced that the engineer can pick these bandages every 8 seconds, that this will make the bunker engineer even stronger. I don't think that it will be that bad. Quite frankly, it's about time engineer, especially core engineer gets some love when it comes to his kits. Now all that's left are to buff the rest of the kits.

Yeah I think if they became usable by the Engineer, dropping 5 is overpowered. Don't forget it's all very easily used by the Scrapper and Holosmith if it becomes optimal for self and team sustain. That's why I reduced the bandages to 3 when letting them drop on the ground.

The skill and name design flavor really necessitate that the Engineer fire the bandages at allies with force.

Update, my previous re-work suggestion to Health Insurance was condi removal tied to kits. Now that Health Insurance is re-worked by Anet, a better home for Core Engi condition removal is as follows:

2.) Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 6 seconds of swiftness. 20s ICD per kit.

Changed to 20s ICD based on feedback, swiftness increased to 6s.

@Chaith.8256 said:Update, my previous re-work suggestion to Health Insurance was condi removal tied to kits. Now that Health Insurance is re-worked by Anet, a better home for Core Engi condition removal is as follows:

2.) Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 3 seconds of swiftness. 10s ICD per kit.

I think it would be better if the Med Kits' toolbelt skill had a reduced cast time from 1 second to 0.75 seconds and it cleanses conditions or it gives you resistance for 6 seconds.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:Update, my previous re-work suggestion to Health Insurance was condi removal tied to kits. Now that Health Insurance is re-worked by Anet, a better home for Core Engi condition removal is as follows:

2.)
Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 3 seconds of swiftness. 10s ICD per kit.

I think it would be better if the Med Kits' toolbelt skill had a reduced cast time from 1 second to 0.75 seconds and it cleanses conditions or it gives you resistance for 6 seconds.

I think Bandage self should go down to .75s cast as I've suggested before, in addition.

However I do not agree that tying core Engi condi removal more heavily to Med-Kit is smart. Med-kit has great condition removal for a healing skill as it is.

@Chaith.8256 said:

2.)
Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 3 seconds of swiftness. 10s ICD per kit.

I think Bandage self should go down to .75s cast as I've suggested before, in addition.

However I do not agree that tying core Engi condi removal more heavily to Med-Kit is smart. Med-kit has great condition removal for a healing skill as it is.

You're right but I don't think Streamlined Kits is the right way. Changing SK will hurt Condi Engi even more.

@Imperadordf.2687 said:

2.)

You're right but I don't think Streamlined Kits is the right way. Changing SK will hurt Condi Engi even more.

Really, how is condi Engi dependent on current streamlined kit effects? In my opinion the ability proc effects are largely unreliable fluff. Keep in mind when you only get swiftness once every30s as currently, versus scourge and Spellbreaker you could be without swiftness from 1-29 seconds.