Role of Power vs Condi Scourge?

Omnicron.2467

Hi! I was looking at a new class to play for WvW, was either going to go for Scourge or Spellbreaker.The thing is my spellbreaker already has full ascended gear, and I enjoy her, but there are some limitations I am not fond of (in terms of ranged combat when attacking or defending keep)The thing with Scourge for me is that I play Reaper for open world fun, and I have half ascended gear there already, and I would hate to get another ascended set just for WvW, but if power scourge could work with the same impact then that would be really great!

So can someone please just let me know about the different strengths and weaknesses of power vs condi scourge?Thanks :)

If you are zerg surfing. Go with anything. It really means nothing. As long as you can tag foes thats all about you need. If you plan on Roaming or anything. Dont waste your time with Power Scourge. It would be pointless. Hybrid, COULD maybe work but it wont be as strong as pure condi because Scourge is (like Necro in general) designed around conditions, conditions, conditions.

Not saying it isn't a thing - but "power" and Scourge is not the perfect fit. Outside of some weapon choices, most of your kill power is condition - going power and ignoring condition is a perverse approach requiring you to ignore basic strengths.

For blobbing, cele nec (hybrid) is meta. Hybrid nec works best blobs, cause there is so much condi cleanse, your conditions wont ramp up their damage in time. Burst dmg is preferred, thats why a power/condi hybrid works better, along with boon hate/booncorrupting.For roaming, I really wouldnt suggest you go with scourge, as it is slow moving, hence target practice for ranged classes. In small groups, you can play full condi as there is much better sustain of condi dmg.Hope that helps.

If you want to actually feel like you're contributing go power, if you don't mind getting bored easily go condi.

As far as gear, I have a few characters that have 2 full sets of ascended gear, for different builds. Sadly it kind of has to be that way til I get off my lazy butt and decide to put forth the effort for Legendary armor.

One set of gear for everything probably won't cut it...it's normal.

@"Elva.6372" said:Not saying it isn't a thing - but "power" and Scourge is not the perfect fit. Outside of some weapon choices, most of your kill power is condition - going power and ignoring condition is a perverse approach requiring you to ignore basic strengths.

It is actually, there are lots of skills with decent enough power scaling. Even on hybrid scourges, at least 60% damage is direct damage, unless fights last very long where condies would obviously prevail.

Power scourge probably has the best aoe burst at the moment, besides maybe reaper, but that's hard to execute since it's melee. The problem with it is that it lacks sustained damage after that burst and it has less corrupts and less sustain compared to hybrid.

@steki.1478 said:

@"Elva.6372" said:Not saying it isn't a thing - but "power" and Scourge is not the perfect fit. Outside of some weapon choices, most of your kill power is condition - going power and ignoring condition is a perverse approach requiring you to ignore basic strengths.

It is actually, there are lots of skills with decent enough power scaling. Even on hybrid scourges, at least 60% damage is direct damage, unless fights last very long where condies would obviously prevail.

Power scourge probably has the best aoe burst at the moment, besides maybe reaper, but that's hard to execute since it's melee. The problem with it is that it lacks sustained damage after that burst and it has less corrupts and less sustain compared to hybrid.

I certainly won't argue, but it's a bit swimming against the stream -meaning a bit tougher to make a great power build than a condition build. Nice to know it's viable and that there's room for diversity - often hard to find in this game, tbh.

@Elva.6372 said:

@Elva.6372 said:Not saying it isn't a thing - but "power" and Scourge is not the perfect fit. Outside of some weapon choices, most of your kill power is condition - going power and ignoring condition is a perverse approach requiring you to ignore basic strengths.

I certainly won't argue, but it's a bit swimming against the stream -meaning a bit tougher to make a great power build than a condition build. Nice to know it's viable and that there's room for diversity - often hard to find in this game, tbh.

cough grieving stats cough

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Elva.6372 said:Not saying it isn't a thing - but "power" and Scourge is not the perfect fit. Outside of some weapon choices, most of your kill power is condition - going power and ignoring condition is a perverse approach requiring you to ignore basic strengths.

cough
grieving stats
cough

grieving = 0 defence though

Carrion maybe?

@Omnicron.2467 said:

cough
grieving stats
cough

Carrion maybe?

You don't need much defensive stats on a scourge, 2300/2400 armor is enough also grieving is super powerful to not use full of

@Omnicron.2467 said:

cough
grieving stats
cough

Carrion maybe?

Grieving+cele. You wont need more

• 2 years later...