I’d like to consolidate a list of issues and proposals for adjustments to DE traits. This makes it easier to provide feedback without a lot of L2P and other noise. I’ve read all the threads and done some testing myself so if I’ve missed something please let me know.
Note: This is limited to modifications of current traits. It does not include suggestions to (1) entirely revert the patch, (2) introduce entirely new skills or (3) reinstate traits removed by the patch (Unforgiving). The goal is to keep the same synergy that the developers had in mind in choosing to implement these traits and skills when making suggestions below to improve functionality, balance and enjoyment.
- Issue: Like all stealth gain traits this trait inherited a long standing issue where projectiles in flight can strike a target after stealth is applied, revealing the thief in the process. This is in the class of traits generally categorized as “functional but inconsistent” or “clunky.”
- UPDATED WITH DEVELOPER COMMENT
- @Robert Gee.9246 stated that the stealth will be moved to the end of the dodge roll within the next few weeks. They considered, but rejected (for now), a broader change to stealth that makes the thief temporarily immune to reveal to avoid lingering reveals. The out-of-combat requirement is also being removed.
- Implemented May 22, 2018
- Issue 2: Kneel resetting the cooldown feels very clunky. Being endurance limited means this shouldn’t need an awkward sit-and-stand for stealth purposes.
- Solution 2: Remove the cooldown.
- Issue: This bonus to malice gain feels half baked. Malice on Mark makes perfect sense. Malice on Heal does not. All other malice gain is tied to attacking and so thematically it makes little sense as it permits perma-stealth gameplay. It also contributes to issues with how malice is generated (see below).
- Solutions: Replace malice gain on heal with malice gain on landing a stealth attack. This improves generation rates and promotes 100% active engagement to generate malice.
Collateral Damage (Burst of Shadows)
- Issue: The main concern is that this trait has little impact outside of PvE because players don’t die often enough for this trait to be impactful.
- Solution 1: Make this trait apply on downed targets or apply an effect like knockback or daze separate from the AoE damage on the target’s death.
- Solution 2: Make this trait apply on cantrip use but with a lesser effect.
- Issue: Like above, the trait has little synergy outside of PvE because it rarely triggers. And, depending on the target it often doesn’t often trigger in PvE either.
- Solution 1: Apply an effect on downing a target that also gives an advantage. If a mark is downed, gain health by striking the mark with a stealth attack while downed.
- Solution 2: Adjust Payback’s recharge reduction to the size of target killed or downed.
- Solution 3: Change payback to a cooldown reduction each time you Mark a target.
- Solution 4: Make Payback trigger on hitting Mark with a Cantrip with a reduced effect.
- Solution 5: Make Payback trigger on each successful use of a stolen skill.
- Issue: Malice generation rate is either fast or extremely slow. This is mainly due to critical hits which are somewhat RNG the lower your crit rate actually is. Malice gain is also the same no matter what the initiative cost is, which makes landing high initiative skills less rewarding.
- Solution: Make malice gain from skill use somewhat depend on initiative spent. Initiative spent rolls over from skill to skill and resets to zero when malice is spent. At 3 initiative per malice gain a 4 initiative skill + 5 initiative skill would grant 3 to 5 malice instead of 2 to 4 under the current system. This is a slight but QoL increase for those not running high damage spam abilities like Unload that can generate malice very efficiently.
- Issue: Due to 10% per malice damage scaling this is now the preferred stealth attack. While it lacks the unblockable aspect it gains potential oneshot capacity which overshadows other stealth attacks which have comparatively weaker bonuses. Weaker doesn’t mean every skill should be oneshot damage. It just means that the bonuses have inconsistent tactical value.
- Special Note: Although DJ is considered underpowered by many at this time most complaints are due to issues with gaining stealth from Sniper’s Cover and the trait synergy. To the extent that PvP/PvE damage for this skill is too low (after adjustments are made to the other aspects of DE) then this skill may warrant a PvP or PvE specific damage adjustment.
Malicious Tactical Strike
- Issue: Gaining endurance is something most sword builds are not going to have an issue with. Vigor uptime aside, this feels somewhat out of place when you consider the daze aspect on the base skill.
- Solution: make this apply 1/2 second of quickness per malice spent. This improves synergy with Be Quick or Be Killed and opens up sword Deadeye as a viable enhancement to the specialization.
- Issue: When used with One in the Chamber Mercy does not grant an additional cantrip. This is more a function of how Mercy works which is why this is categorized under “utilities.” This means there is an inherent lack of synergy between a major cantrip and a cantrip specific trait.
- Solution: Make Mercy consume the current stolen skill for the boons it would normally grant. When used without OitC it consumes a stolen skill if there is one available. If OitC is traited it overwrites with a fresh Stolen skill and then consumes it.
- Issue: Despite aegis being fairly common the boonrip does not prioritize this boon when it hits a target.
- Solution: Make the boon rip before damage is applied so aegis can be stripped before damage and knockdown.
Rifle: Kneel and Sniper’s Cover
- Issue: The interaction between these skills feels slow because it takes too long to activate Sniper’s Cover in response to incoming projectiles.
- Solution: Make one of these skill instant cast to improve the reaction time.
Pistol/Pistol: Malicious Sneak Attack and Unload
- Issue: This set lacks stealth access so it can’t cycle malice as quickly as other sets. M-Sneak Attack also does condi damage so a P/P build loses DPS to gaining stealth to “clear” the malice.
- Solution: (WIP Placeholder) Rebalance the set by making Unload apply a stacking buff to the player on hit. The buff lasts for 10 seconds and applies vulnerability to a target on a stealth attack.
- Marking some summons (ranger pets?) does not refresh Mark when the summon is killed/despawned
Silent Scope (unconfirmed)
- May be triggering without a rifle actively equipped.
- 20% crit increase isn’t applied when standing for Death’s Judgment.
- Skill doesn’t hit for “out of range” despite being within 1500 range (other 1500 range skills hit).
- Skill may fail to fire if you are pushing directional keys after a Sniper’s Scope dodge and instead only apply reveal without triggering g the stealth attack to fire (bug with how self reveal from DJ is applied?)
- The stealth can activate before a melee strike and reveal the thief automatically.
Smoke Field + Death’s Retreat
- Double tapping DR immediately stacks stealth on both the initial retreat AND the second DR after your character is no longer standing in a combo field.
Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Commandant of P/D and Apex Predator