Low FPS / Lag Issues [MERGED]

After the 3/27 patch (the one that introduced the SAB, though I doubt it's due to the SAB), I started having fps problems. My fps is fine when I first start the game (around 40 fps, which is good enough for me) but then gradually drops down to about 10 fps after playing it for around 10-20 minutes.

What's funny is that, once my fps drops, I can change my power settings and the fps will go back up to around 40 again. It doesn't really matter what power setting I use (unless I'm using the battery saving setting): simply adjusting the power setting in any way, from lower to higher or vice versa, will make my fps go back up. Then in around 5-10 minutes it will drop again.

My CPU is an Intel i7-7660U, and my GPU is an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640.

Any idea what might be going on?

I am having the same issues as others have mentioned in here,i7 5930k16Gb ddr4Asus GTX 1080Ti 11GAsus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" Ultrawide @ 100HzSamsung 850 Pro SSD'sWhat I am finding is when I first enter any map I have incredibly low FPS, anywhere from 14 to low 20's and it is pretty much unplayable, if I alt-tab to desktop and immediately back to the GW2 window I instantly am back at anywhere from 50 Fps to 100 Fps depending on map and players, in other words what I would expect to get with everything at pretty much max settings.

In my instance it seems like there is something causing the FPS to fail on map load but a quick alt tab somehow refreshes it and frame rate is then fine until next map load or waypoint change.

My experience with this the week before PoF started the FPS was at its best with the start it got worse but getting better with the time until early march since then it is really bad. Problem is extreme CPU time use even stopping everything else, reducing resolution and doing a repair didn't help

I have a i5-5200U quadcore . I haven't said anything until now because I'm sure at least a part of it is the Spectre patch which causes problemshttps://www.pcworld.com/article/3250645/laptop-computers/how-meltdown-and-spectre-patches-drag-down-older-hardware.html

I can only say do what you can ^^

• 3 weeks later...
  1. When did this issue first start?Always had low FPS, but now i'm using a liquid cooled Ryzen 1700X, and a GTX 1080, 16gb of pretty fast ram, and installed from a Hybrid drive. This thing gets over 120FPS on the heaven benchmark, but only 30fps in your game, and that's without even doing max settings.

2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?Haven't been playing long enough to say, but it's bad now, and that's what matters.

3. What is your general geographical location?Oh crap, you're asking where I live on a questionnaire about FPS issues? Guess you didn't understand the issue in the first place. This isn't related to PING.

4. On what game world are you playing?Why, please tell me why in the name of Thor that would matter. See #3

My spec:CPU - AMD Ryzen 1800X 3,6 GhzMobo - MSI X370 Gaming PlusRAM - G. Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 3200MhzGPU - Geforce GTX 1080Drive - SSD 480 GBPSU - 750W PlatinumMonitor - 1440p

So, I'm playing on full spec, but FPS is dropping like crazy in crowdy areas, otherwise it can maintain 50~60fps.Comparing GW2 to other games, like Black Desert Online, Warframe or Dying Light (all have max settings) in regard of consumption of system resources and load, it's actually very disturbing.Changes to Shaders, Shadows or overall quality doesn't change anything.Changing Character Display from Highest to Medium/Low doesn't inflict any change to fps drops.

Mind you that overlays and so on are turned off (GF E: Shadowplay, etc.).

Unpark all CPU cores.

If you are using hyper-threading (check CPU settings in BIOS), type "msconfig" into the Windows Search field. Select the "Boot" tab, click "Advanced", and select the maximum number of available threads there (called "processors"). Also, for system stability, check "Lock PCI".

If you aren't using hyper-threading, select the actual number of cores your CPU has. (No need to check "Lock PCI" in that case.)

Reboot your system.

i had also bad fps when alt tabbing too much with nvidia experience shadowplay running. so now i play windowed mode so i don’t have to alt tab for wiki. and no more problems. yes it’s not the nicest thing but fps is fine now. only problem is brightness. or gamma. yesterday did wvsw and had 22 fps in big fights. with all maxed. all is set max except resolution scale or something is native. because to keep good temp on gpu. gtx 780ti classified. cpu i7 6700k nothing oc.

Gw2 needs a major engine overhaul IMHO in order to stay relevant.

Thus far most of the people reporting fps issues are those with system specs that match or even in some cases exceed gw2 system requirements.

So this is not a problem on our end.

but the way gw2 is right now it's so badly optimized that it is unplayable on any system be it low end or high end. I'm not saying that gw2 needs a whole new engine but they should work on the current one and optimize it the best they can in order to provide its players with a smooth gaming experience and not all this fps drops etc..

@AncientYs.8613 said:Gw2 needs a major engine overhaul IMHO in order to stay relevant.

Thus far most of the people reporting fps issues are those with system specs that match or even in some cases exceed gw2 system requirements.

So this is not a problem on our end.

but the way gw2 is right now it's so badly optimized that it is unplayable on any system be it low end or high end. I'm not saying that gw2 needs a whole new engine but they should work on the current one and optimize it the best they can in order to provide its players with a smooth gaming experience and not all this fps drops etc..

Yeah it's definitely an engine issue. My wife and I have basically the same cpu (Ryzen 1700x vs 1700), same ram, same HD (not that it should matter for FPS issues)The only major difference is that I have a GTX 1080, and she has a GTX 960 TI. Both wonderful cards for this application, but somehow she gets about 20% higher framerate.I mean, how can I even feel like a man with that going on....

Seriously though, it's also worth noting that when i'm chugging along at 15 to 28fps, my CPU is 30% on one core, 5% on all the other cores, and only 20% utilization on my GPU.

The game isn't even taxing my system, but chugs along like i'm over-taxing it.

As noted above, if I multi-task too much, it gets slower and slower until I need to restart the game, sometimes even reboot. The game isn't properly shutting down it's processes when it's done, that's for sure.

Sorry for the double post, but it seems you can only edit your post in a certain time frame.

I switched to Fullscreen-Windowed last night. Game still looks amazing, runs WAY better than before, and I no longer have problems with multitasking.

When I switched from a laptop on november( i7 4770, gt750m, 12gb ram win 10) to my new system ( i7 7700, Gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb corsair LPX 3000, crucial mx300 500gb ssd,) I got worse performance. Since I run the precision xoc overlay, I notice that when my frames drop to the single digits, my gpu core clock drops to its lowest setting, around 1600mhz. I've tried all sorts of drivers, different oc settings. The one thing that helps, is using the "k" boost setting, which makes the gpu run at full power even when not needed. Even then I'll still get the fps drops, but it doesn't happen as much.

@"Akane Tsunemori.8051" said:When I switched from a laptop on november( i7 4770, gt750m, 12gb ram win 10) to my new system ( i7 7700, Gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb corsair LPX 3000, crucial mx300 500gb ssd,) I got worse performance. Since I run the precision xoc overlay, I notice that when my frames drop to the single digits, my gpu core clock drops to its lowest setting, around 1600mhz. I've tried all sorts of drivers, different oc settings. The one thing that helps, is using the "k" boost setting, which makes the gpu run at full power even when not needed. Even then I'll still get the fps drops, but it doesn't happen as much.

This sounds very much like a hardware issue. Some tools can report why the graphics card is running at the lowest performance, the "throttling reason", as it were. GPU-Z is probably the easiest tool to gain access to this.

You should take a look at that, and see what the reported reason for the throttling is. I'd also suggest trying without the overlay: those sometimes turn out to be the cause of the problem, as well as the way to observe it. You can see FPS reported on the in-game options panel when testing that out.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Akane Tsunemori.8051" said:When I switched from a laptop on november( i7 4770, gt750m, 12gb ram win 10) to my new system ( i7 7700, Gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb corsair LPX 3000, crucial mx300 500gb ssd,) I got worse performance. Since I run the precision xoc overlay, I notice that when my frames drop to the single digits, my gpu core clock drops to its lowest setting, around 1600mhz. I've tried all sorts of drivers, different oc settings. The one thing that helps, is using the "k" boost setting, which makes the gpu run at full power even when not needed. Even then I'll still get the fps drops, but it doesn't happen as much.

This sounds very much like a hardware issue. Some tools can report
why
the graphics card is running at the lowest performance, the "throttling reason", as it were.
is probably the easiest tool to gain access to this.

You should take a look at that, and see what the reported reason for the throttling is. I'd also suggest trying
without
the overlay: those sometimes turn out to be the cause of the problem, as well as the way to observe it. You can see FPS reported on the in-game options panel when testing that out.

Even with the overlay off, my fps tanks to the single digits. And not having a second monitor makes it difficult to watch gpuz for issues. But as to where the problem lies, it's this game. It's the only one I have issues with. Every other game runs wonderfully.

@Akane Tsunemori.8051 said:

@Akane Tsunemori.8051 said:When I switched from a laptop on november( i7 4770, gt750m, 12gb ram win 10) to my new system ( i7 7700, Gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb corsair LPX 3000, crucial mx300 500gb ssd,) I got worse performance. Since I run the precision xoc overlay, I notice that when my frames drop to the single digits, my gpu core clock drops to its lowest setting, around 1600mhz. I've tried all sorts of drivers, different oc settings. The one thing that helps, is using the "k" boost setting, which makes the gpu run at full power even when not needed. Even then I'll still get the fps drops, but it doesn't happen as much.

This sounds very much like a hardware issue. Some tools can report
why
the graphics card is running at the lowest performance, the "throttling reason", as it were.
is probably the easiest tool to gain access to this.

You should take a look at that, and see what the reported reason for the throttling is. I'd also suggest trying
without
the overlay: those sometimes turn out to be the cause of the problem, as well as the way to observe it. You can see FPS reported on the in-game options panel when testing that out.

Even with the overlay off, my fps tanks to the single digits. And not having a second monitor makes it difficult to watch gpuz for issues. But as to where the problem lies, it's this game. It's the only one I have issues with. Every other game runs wonderfully.

Well, if you can't debug further, you are probably never going to get any resolution. Best of luck.

I now get 19fps with vsync on in large scale wvw fights, since the last windows update, which was forced on me, because of some kind of boot file corruption.It's pretty hard to play when it drops that low from 60fps, especially when you have so many player models and effects going off.

So, if any of y'all want to get traction on your issues, PingPlotter have a (poorly named) guide to figuring out where on the network the problem is, and I suggest you follow it.

This will achieve one of two things: one, it shows conclusively that the problem is on the ANet / Amazon side, and forces them to do something about it. Two, it shows the problem is somewhere else -- possibly a third party network in between you and them -- and helps get the right people paying attention to it.

Finally, ANet do care, but they don't do personal support on the forums. If you want that, email their technical support team.

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:So, if any of y'all want to get traction on your issues, PingPlotter have a (poorly named) guide to figuring out where on the network the problem is, and I suggest you follow it.

This will achieve one of two things: one, it shows conclusively that the problem is on the ANet / Amazon side, and forces them to do something about it. Two, it shows the problem is somewhere else -- possibly a third party network in between you and them -- and helps get the right people paying attention to it.

Finally, ANet do care, but they don't do personal support on the forums. If you want that, email their technical support team.

Don't email the CS Team, but use the web-form accessed via the 'Support' link above/below, as emailing the Team will only either get no response, or a response that directs you to the web-form.

Good luck.

I've had very low FPS the last few days (I first noticed it on Friday). I suspect it might be on my end since it's affecting other games too (but not noticeable when doing anything else like streaming music or TV shows), but it's worst in GW2. I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest something that might fix it.

The strange part is my ping is very low, almost always under 100 unless I've just loaded in Lion's Arch. But where I normally get 40-60 FPS (and as high as 80 if I'm lucky) I'm now getting 37 at best, if I stay still in a relatively empty map with nothing going on. When I'm actively playing it's down around 12-15. And that's consistently low, not spiking down then back up.

I haven't changed anything in my PC, haven't had any updates I'm aware of, except maybe to Windows itself, and I'm in the same geographical location (south east UK) and on the same server (Desolation) as always. (Oh and I have an AMD graphics card, so that Nvidia driver issue shouldn't be affecting me). So I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it, but any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Just checked by logging into my free account which is on the US servers (can't remember which one and don't know how to check since the World selection box is locked) and my FPS is fine there - 50-60 on average - even though my ping is higher (115 average).

Edit 2: After someone else pointed out the blindingly obvious - that low FPS and low ping means the problem is with my PC I did some digging and found out that various Windows 10 updates had quietly turned back on various "helpful" background programs I'd disabled when I installed it because they're utterly useless if you don't have a tablet and they were chewing through memory trying to check if I was carrying my desktop around or turning it upside down or speaking to the non-existent microphone.

I've managed to get a slight improvement but I started this about 10pm last night. I'm hoping with more time to find out what's slowing things down I can get it back to normal again.