mount idea — Guild Wars 2 Forums

mount idea

Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited May 14, 2018 in WvW

A little while back we had a back and forth on some subjects, and got some positive vibes on the suggestion of a mount in wvw, thats fit for, and made for, WvW.
I forgot about it for a while, but was just reminded, and decided I write down a fleshed out idea. And see if you folks like it:

The mount I came up with, is the Dolyak. Why? it's a common beast in the entire world, especially in WvW, and it's versatile. It's sturdy, it can be fast if trained properly, and looks like it can carry some weight. Now, in WvW there will be some balancing issues regarding mounts and mobility, so I propose the following cons and pros:

--

The Mount

The mount, the Dolyak, will see three primary abilities:
1. Mobility Speed
2. Carrying of supplies
3. function as a battering ram.
So, first of all, these are three significant abilities, and as of such, I don't want a single play to maximize them all. My idea is to restrict the masteries with specific points.
Whereas normal WvW masteries keep giving you points, the dolyak line has it's points, and will be capped in such a way that if you boost all three lines, you can only reach 33.33% of it's capacity.
Mobility Speed, of course, it's a primary use for many people. The higher the rank, the faster it goes.
Carrying of Supplies; while mounted you can pick up extra supplies, and carry them to siege sites. They become temporary supply points from which only supply can be withdrawn (not added). The higher the rank, the more you can carry, and the less speed penalty you suffer.
The third is to act as a battering ram. Unlike PvE mounts, which dismount after the use of the [1] skill, using the [1] skill on dolyak will cause it to enter a battle-mode with 5 skills. These allow them to 'stomp' enemy players, and tackle enemy gates. note that only three enraged dolyaks can exist within a certain range, so they cannot and will not make actual siege equipment worthless. If there are too many enraged dolyaks in range, there's a skill [2] which is a simple stomp attack that will dismount the player after use.

--

The restrictions

So, previously I mentioned that only 3 combat ready dolyaks can exist within a certain range. That's a balancing update that prevents 150 dolyaks from assaulting a fort.
The second restriction is of course the limited amount of points you can spend on a dolyak. 1 point given every 15 ranks, until all points have been gathered at rank 500.
The general idea is that you can trait the masteries at a rate of 33/33/33% or 100/66.66% (so you can never utilize it at it's maximum).
The third restriction is when you can mount up:

you must be:
A ) in a safe zone
B ) next to an owned supply deposit when not in a safe zone
C ) be in an allied zone while not invaded.

What is a safe zone?
The safe zone is defined as: The spawn area.
What is an allied zone?
Any area that is capable of providing a waypoint. The area is only considered allied when the waypoint is free.
When the waypoint is not free, it means the allied area is invaded, and you can only mount up next to the supply deposit.

~

I want to thank in advance for any positive or negative feedback I receive on this model, and will adjust major flaws in the above if anyone can present proof of imbalance issues or other gamebreaking possibilities. This is not meant as a demand to anet, but as a conversational topic, and idea. I hope of course for support, and that anet will consider/humor the idea.

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
..jormag? Who's that?

Comments

• coglin.1496coglin.1496 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018

I do not want any mounts at all. I have stopped touching PvE content in it's entirety, and the addition of mounts was one of the significant factors. The last thing I want is WvW ruined for me as well. #nomounts

Do not confuse your objective opinion with that of objective fact. Remember, what you say matters, not what you meant to say.

• Yakez.7561Yakez.7561 Member ✭✭

No. WvW maps are small, even desert. Death do not matter a lot. More mobility is bad, especially for defending side, period.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Yakez.7561 said:
    No. WvW maps are small, even desert. Death do not matter a lot. More mobility is bad, especially for defending side, period.

tbh, I have quite the opposite position.
    When I die, get thrown back to the spawn point, and it takes hours to return to whatever squad I'm following. Do you know how large a map is, when your commander is on the other side?
    And in retrospect, more mobility bad for the defending site, how do you figure that? if anything, the defending sides should only have benefits

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Yakez.7561Yakez.7561 Member ✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Yakez.7561 said:

tbh, I have quite the opposite position.
    When I die, get thrown back to the spawn point, and it takes hours to return to whatever squad I'm following. Do you know how large a map is, when your commander is on the other side?
    And in retrospect, more mobility bad for the defending site, how do you figure that? if anything, the defending sides should only have benefits

It is to easy to defend t3 already if you build siege in proper amounts. Faster reinforcements = more easy to defend. Attacking side always have longer way to sieged objective.

Even on red you can reunite with zerg on opposite side of map under 5 min if you know the direction of zerg, just learn the map and shortcut mech around fire and air keep. And while you run there is ton of stuff to do, scouting, flipping camps, harassing enemy reinforcements and killing/trolling some roamers.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

i want golem and char cart skin in pve land

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.