Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged] - Page 5 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

Comments

• Adding my voice to the others for the loading screen issue. Updated to latest windows on my gaming lappy and it now jumps back to desktop on loading screens for a few seconds and back into the game. It has no impact to how I play the game as I'm just doing PVE and it's only on loading between zones or whatever, and always comes back before loaded into the new area - it's a little annoying, but not a huge problem to me so not sure I want to go through the hassle of raising a ticket that will go ignored for the better part of two weeks to try solving a problem that doesn't really bother me that much!

• Fremtid.3528Fremtid.3528 Member ✭✭✭

Playing in windowed mode stops the problem but THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT FIX FOR ME IMHO. I wanna play full screen.

• Amhiel.6195Amhiel.6195 Member ✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018

@Inculpatus cedo.9234
    My issue started out with the loading screen and map change like everyone else. Then it also started to do the same exact thing as map change but while I'm playing. It is not a different issue.

• mofokraken.5734mofokraken.5734 Member
    edited May 14, 2018

It's not just related to that focus assist thing or windows update 1803 - i'm on windows 10 update 1709 and my game tabs out to desktop anytime i get a loading screen/change maps, and i have to alt-tab back in. I haven't played in a couple years and only reinstalled the game over the weekend - have been having this issue since i installed.
    edit: it's also not limited to Steam or Nvidia as some people suggested, as I don't use Steam and I have an AMD card. This is the only game where I'm having this issue.

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2018

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Not saying this doesn't need a resolution, but how does showing the desktop only on loading screens affect gameplay? If it happened randomly during gameplay, I'd understand, but on loading screens...I'm not sure I follow.

For me, when I minimise/maximise the game too much, my frame rate eventually drops from it's usual performance suddenly to 3FPS. Closing/re-opening the game fixes this, it's how the game interacts with my system, I think it crashes a gfx driver. It's why I now follow guides on my smartphone rather than my desktop.
    So I'd prefer to not have my game flash my desktop, purely for this reason.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• GreyWolf.8670GreyWolf.8670 Member ✭✭✭

@mofokraken.5734 said:
    It's not just related to that focus assist thing or windows update 1803 - i'm on windows 10 update 1709 and my game tabs out to desktop anytime i get a loading screen/change maps, and i have to alt-tab back in. I haven't played in a couple years and only reinstalled the game over the weekend - have been having this issue since i installed.
    edit: it's also not limited to Steam or Nvidia as some people suggested, as I don't use Steam and I have an AMD card. This is the only game where I'm having this issue.

This. It may seem like it's the Windows update but it's not. It's something that got changed in the game client recently. Perhaps whatever they did to reduce the new zone's loading times. The game is dropping out of DirectX's full screen exclusive mode during asset loads.

• Witch of Doom.5739Witch of Doom.5739 Member ✭✭✭

Also happening to me only since the Win 10 big April update. Microsoft's motto must be, "We're not happy 'til you're not happy!"

• Ringlin.1863Ringlin.1863 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've not heard of it at all, nor are we seeing it on social media.

Yes, immediately and consistently since the Windows update this weekend. Now it happens on every loading screen, as it does for some other guildmates.

None of the workarounds above eliminate the problem, though turning off Focus Assist makes it persist for about 3 seconds instead of 10.

• Not only do I have all the issues with alt-tabbing on load screens and have tried every solution, I have always used hidden windows taskbar and it now shows up when I am in game should I hover where I have it set to be. (For example hovering over the mastery bar in game and having a windows bar not only pop up but cover that part of GW2 in fullscreen making it unable to be clicked.) Windows update broke GW2 like this for everyone I know!

• Hello all. I just wanted to add myself to the list for desktop flashing on zone transition. Two computers on two separate accounts are affected. One in-game bug report sent from one computer.

My issue started after the April 2018 Windows update. Pretty positive that it is the cause since both computers started having this issue despite different installation dates for the April 2018 Windows update.

I have tried the aforementioned suggestions (turning focus assist off and running as administrator), but with no luck. Graphics driver is current. Both computers have different specs, so it is unlikely that it is a hardware/driver issue.

Some observations that I hope may help:

• home instance maps load just fine (even though MapLoadCompletion % starts from 0%; not sure if this is significant)
    • waypointing to a different location within the same map does not result in the "desktop flashing" (MapLoadCompletion % starts at 100%?)
    • loading dungeon and fractals instances result in "desktop flashing"
    • the timing of the "desktop flashing" appears to occur towards the very end of the loading **after **MapLoadCompletion % hits 100% (observed this in Lion's Arch because it loads slow enough even with an SSD)
  • banshee.9328banshee.9328 Member ✭✭

Just play Windowed Fullscreen until MS fix the issue.

• Fremtid.3528Fremtid.3528 Member ✭✭✭

@CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:
    Rolling back to 1709 (win10 fall creators update) or below, seems to work out fine for me.

Omg! I googled how to do that and it worked. Thanks!

• Despond.2174Despond.2174 Member ✭✭✭

Still occurring. Windowed full screen is too much unneeded stress. Will wait until there is a fix for fullscreen mode.

edited May 15, 2018

Told to put in a ticket, so I did, and they keep replying by asking me the same stuff I already provided in the original ticket. Completely ignoring ever word I wrote, and completely ignoring the file I already gave them. I am so angry with them right now. If they don't know what's up then just say so. Playing someone for a fool by repeatedly asking for the same info already provided is beyond disrespectful. Yeah I don't see this being fixed any time soon. Feels like I'm dealing with EA right now.

• Ringlin.1863Ringlin.1863 Member ✭✭✭

To understand this thread, know two things:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:
    On page 3 onwards, this thread has been wrongfully merged with a Deadeye feedback thread, as well as being merged with an older thread not related to the newest issue of game interaction with Win10.
    This entire merge is a mess and not very helpful.
    @Gaile Gray.6029

And second, Anet apparently doesn't see the alt-tabbing trouble as common, despite the posts here and the shared issue by several of my guildmates since the recent Windows update. So:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Even while the CS Team is super busy, we would like to ask you to submit a ticket to them, so that they can gather more information and help you out, too! You should use "technical support" as the reason or the "bucket" for your ticket, to best assign it.

I've done that. I hope the CS Team can make enough sense of this tangled thread to see that there's a compatibility issue with their loading screens and the recent Windows update.

• Sarpan.9074Sarpan.9074 Member ✭✭✭

Time to add my voice here. I'm having the same thing. In addition to the flash to desktop on map changes, it also does it when I change my graphics preset setting. I've tried all the suggested fixes with no success.

• Rayti.6531Rayti.6531 Member ✭✭✭

Just adding my voice to this thread in the hopes that it will contribute to a fix of this issue (or at least leads to some attention regarding this issue).

I'm experiencing the random tabbing out since today - this issue started the second the most recent Windows 10 update (version 1803) was applied to my system.

Actually, the "tabbing out" in my case is more like the GW2 window getting transparent/invisible, while the GW2 specific mouse cursor is still visible, as well as the title bar of the GW2 window (visible in the upper left corner of my screen). This mostly happens during client startup (when it switches from launcher to character select) and during map loading screens.

Some details which based on this thread might be relevant (if you need more info please let me know):
    * I have Steam installed and running in the background - I doubt this has anything to do with it though
    * Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    * Issue appears (as tested) with driver versions 397.31 and 397.64
    * I'm playing the game in Full Screen - 2560x1440 @144Hz
    * Changing to "Windowed Fullscreen" seems to fix the problem during loading screens, but leads to a white screen while character select loads (no idea if this is normal since I usually prevent using this mode entirely)

• CrimsonNeonite.1048CrimsonNeonite.1048 Member ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018

As I mentioned in the other thread, before they merged it. You can try and roll back to an earlier Win10 build by using this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/go-back-to-an-earlier-build-of-windows-10 or by finding a legit .iso with an earlier build, if it's due to the April 2018 update, which is in my case true.

After that to avoid updating to the April 2018 update, you have to defer important updates in Settings> Updates & Security panel > Advanced Options. But if your windows has updated recently, it will only keep the old files for 7 days or more, until it gets deleted.

• Eulefant.9624Eulefant.9624 Member ✭✭

Had it before the Win10 update.
    Since a week or so when swapping maps, alt tab out and back in the game switches to a desktop screen with gw2 in the upper left corner minimized for 3-4 seconds, after that it returns to normal.

It happens on logging to another alt ( in the same map ).
    The map loads showing the poi,vista and wp numbers then switches to minimized view for 3-4 second
    Same happens on alt-tab to browser when going back by clicking gw2

Windowed Fullscreen doesn't have this issue.

Not Windows 10 update related as I only did that after it already happened

GTX1070
    I7-860

Does't look like a secondary program or graphical card issue, just some setting that minimizes the loading screen for a while.

Hope this helps

• I've been experiencing this issue after the Windows 10 update.It happens during map loading and when I alt -tab, also happens when I change the graphics presets in the in-game display settings.
    gtx 1070
    1600x

• Rayti.6531Rayti.6531 Member ✭✭✭

@CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:
    As I mentioned in the other thread, before they merged it. You can try and roll back to an earlier Win10 build by using this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/go-back-to-an-earlier-build-of-windows-10 or by finding a legit .iso with an earlier build.

Thank you for providing this link. For people who prioritize a bandaid fix for some flickering in a video game over an up-to-date operating system this might be a solution.

To those who use their PCs for other things as well (which might require an up-to-date OS), this is not exactly a viable one, sadly... Even though one might argue that the newest OS version isn't always the best -> there are other strange things happening since this update (like an OEM partition suddenly showing up with a drive letter assigned to it, while Windowns happily complains about "not enough space" being left on it). Maybe we are lucky and there will be another update soon addressing some of the issues. But my hopes for this very specific issue with GW2 magically disappearing with the next update are very low.

I guess it can't hurt for ANet to look into the Full Screen Mode's behavior as well, since by now some people claim the issues already appeared for them before the Windows update... But who knows what strange combination of software being in use might cause this...

• Glad to see that I am not the only one that is experiencing this. The same thing is also happening with Guild Wars 1. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@atheria.2837 said:

@Zedek.8932 said:
    Wait, you are "keeping it in mind" for "future" "adjustments"?
    This is crippling the mechanics, it should be top priority to be fixed immediately.
    If you don't test these terrible Deadeye changes (on all levels), you already saved time. Now you can invest these for at least a tiny bit of quality management.

I found that my 'GW2' is not staying contained in its UI

Please someone, stop the map flashing to my desktop at every single map change!

You are quoting someone that is responding to the Deadeye changes thread that was merged with this one, if you are not aware. A merge snafu.

• Moi.5013Moi.5013 Member ✭✭

This is happening to me too after windows 10 update this morning. Happens in GW1 and GW2. Submitted a ticket through the support site.

edited May 16, 2018

@atheria.2837
    Yeah same thing with mine. Since this started happening I took get the game in the upper left like that.

@GM Magister.8736 said:

@Cassiel.9230 said:
    Same issue here. Running the game as administrator and turning off the new Windows-Fokus-assistant was able to reduce the duration the "alt-tabbing" (similar to duration in the video above).
    For me this started after the new Windows 10 update. I have a 1070 graphics-card and just installed the newest drivers. Right now im reinstalling gw2, but after a first try the "alt-tabbing" is still there. As soon as the game is installed completely i will write an ingame ticket.

Hey there, Cassiel (and anyone else who might be thinking about sending in a ticket!)

Can you submit your ticket through the support site instead of through an in-game ticket? While the team will see and review reports that come in through the in-game system, we support agents can't reply to them and open a dialogue with you to easily request additional logs or to recommend other troubleshooting steps to you.

I've done that for over a week now, and they keep asking me for the same info that's in my original ticket. They are either not reading them, or trying really hard to dis us while buying some time. I knew what they would be asking for so I gave them everything. Now their solution is to just run in windowed mode which is not an option for me because windowed has microstutter, and gsync although can set it to windowed and fullscreen runs like garbage in that mode.

• I've noticed this too, right after updating my laptop to the latest windows 10. I thought it was the game at first, and redownloaded it thrice, but it still seems to be occurring. I'm with the people who think this is a Windows issue, and I'm curious to see how it can be fixed from the game side (since Microsoft will Not do anything about it, and the best we can do is roll back to a previous version)

I have infinite patience, but I still have a threshold for idiocy.

• darksome.1697darksome.1697 Member ✭✭

And add me to the list too. Did the latest Windows update yesterday, and after that both GW1 and 2 do the same thing when loading, as described above, and show the windows desktop. Thought it might be a discrepancy between the latest Win10 update and Nvidia drivers, so I updated those too, didn't solve the problem. So it's not the latest Nvidia drivers. Never had this happen before. It's definitely Windows 10 latest update related.

• Orion Templar.4589Orion Templar.4589 Member ✭✭✭

Just adding my voice to the discussion. Seeing the same issue since the Windows 10 1803 update applied. If I disable "Focus assist" the appearance of the desktop does appear shorter/faster, however it does still happen.

• @Amhiel.6195 said:

@GM Magister.8736 said:

@Cassiel.9230 said:
    Same issue here. Running the game as administrator and turning off the new Windows-Fokus-assistant was able to reduce the duration the "alt-tabbing" (similar to duration in the video above).
    For me this started after the new Windows 10 update. I have a 1070 graphics-card and just installed the newest drivers. Right now im reinstalling gw2, but after a first try the "alt-tabbing" is still there. As soon as the game is installed completely i will write an ingame ticket.

Hey there, Cassiel (and anyone else who might be thinking about sending in a ticket!)

Can you submit your ticket through the support site instead of through an in-game ticket? While the team will see and review reports that come in through the in-game system, we support agents can't reply to them and open a dialogue with you to easily request additional logs or to recommend other troubleshooting steps to you.

I've done that for over a week now, and they keep asking me for the same info that's in my original ticket. They are either not reading them, or trying really hard to dis us while buying some time. I knew what they would be asking for so I gave them everything. Now their solution is to just run in windowed mode which is not an option for me because windowed has microstutter, and gsync although can set it to windowed and fullscreen runs like garbage in that mode.

Hey Amhiel! I found your ticket, and it actually doesn't look like you did quite what we needed. You did send us a list of some hardware you have in your computer, but we did not receive the attachment of the GameAdvisor report that the agent requested from you.

While, yes, this program does send us some of the hardware info you provided, it does far more than that - It will show us additional hardware specs, list the version date of your operating system and drivers, run some short network tests, and highlight any programs which might be interfering with the Guild Wars 2 program in a way that makes it run improperly.

Also, while I understand running in Windowed mode isn't always the most preferred, we often just recommend it as a temporary fix or a test, not as a permanent solution - often, if the an issue occurs in fullscreen but not when playing in a window, this can help us to narrow down the possible causes.

It would be great if you could reply to the agent and let them know that this does resolve the issue, but that you don't prefer that play method for various reasons, and run the GameAdvisor test when you get a moment! We're only going to be able to solve this issue if the users who are experiencing it contact and work with us to try a number of tests and temporary solutions to see what works. :smile:

Lead GM Magister - The one that deals with tech support questions. (✿╹◡╹)

• darksome.1697darksome.1697 Member ✭✭

@GM Magister.8736 said:

Hey Amhiel! I found your ticket, and it actually doesn't look like you did quite what we needed. You did send us a list of some hardware you have in your computer, but we did not receive the attachment of the GameAdvisor report that the agent requested from you.

While, yes, this program does send us some of the hardware info you provided, it does far more than that - It will show us additional hardware specs, list the version date of your operating system and drivers, run some short network tests, and highlight any programs which might be interfering with the Guild Wars 2 program in a way that makes it run improperly.

Also, while I understand running in Windowed mode isn't always the most preferred, we often just recommend it as a temporary fix or a test, not as a permanent solution - often, if the an issue occurs in fullscreen but not when playing in a window, this can help us to narrow down the possible causes.

It would be great if you could reply to the agent and let them know that this does resolve the issue, but that you don't prefer that play method for various reasons, and run the GameAdvisor test when you get a moment! We're only going to be able to solve this issue if the users who are experiencing it contact and work with us to try a number of tests and temporary solutions to see what works. :smile:

Can I ask a quick question @GM Magister.8736 : I expect you guys are playing the game just like the rest of us. At least from time to time hopefully, and I would guess a fair number of you use Windows 10 and have updated it with the 1803 update. Since you request the around 100 of us posting here experiencing this issue to send in our hardware configurations, am I right in concluding that none of you have this issue on your computers?

• This is happening. Hoping for a fix soon.

• CrimsonNeonite.1048CrimsonNeonite.1048 Member ✭✭
    edited May 17, 2018

@darksome.1697 said:
    And add me to the list too. Did the latest Windows update yesterday, and after that both GW1 and 2 do the same thing when loading, as described above, and show the windows desktop. Thought it might be a discrepancy between the latest Win10 update and Nvidia drivers, so I updated those too, didn't solve the problem. So it's not the latest Nvidia drivers. Never had this happen before. It's definitely Windows 10 latest update related.

You could try to Roll back to 1709 or before 1803, but you'll need to do it asap, as your windows 10 will delete the old files soon.

• edited May 16, 2018

@darksome.1697 said:

@GM Magister.8736 said:

Can I ask a quick question @GM Magister.8736 : I expect you guys are playing the game just like the rest of us. At least from time to time hopefully, and I would guess a fair number of you use Windows 10 and have updated it with the 1803 update. Since you request the around 100 of us posting here experiencing this issue to send in our hardware configurations, am I right in concluding that none of you have this issue on your computers?

Hi Darksome! While I can't speak for everyone in the office at all, I personally am not experiencing the issue on my work computer, my home computer, or my laptop, and I know that all of these are 100% for certain on the Windows build that is causing this bug for you all. I've had mixed responses from the other employees I've spoke with about it, though in my corner of the office especially we have almost no one experiencing the issue right now.

So yes, that is exactly why we're calling upon those of you in this thread who are experiencing this (especially those for whom disabling the "Focus Assist" feature doesn't work) to contact us so we can work with you to gather more information or find another workaround! :)

Lead GM Magister - The one that deals with tech support questions. (✿╹◡╹)

• I'm experiencing a flash to desktop then back to game every time I change map. I decided to rollback to the previous windows. Now the issue is fixed, but that is NOT a long-term fix.

• Same thing happen here. And it only happens with GW2. I played PAth of exile and it never happened with the loading screen. Any fixes? Yes, my windows upgraded also and it happeneed right after the update.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.