High Elves

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Mortymes.7139" said:So Ion said we wouldn't get HIgh Elves in WoW, so how about High Elves introduced in Guild Wars? Most games have elves in their fantasy, but GW has no elves at all.

1. We have the GW2 version of elves: sylvari. (I like classic fantasy elves better, too, but on the other hand it makes GW2 more unique. Btw, the WoW elves are awful, with their ridiculous antenna ears. This is what a decent elven ear looks like.)
  2. I miss the dwarves so much more. They should be brought back as a playable race! However, judging by the feedback (or lack thereof) we have received from the devs in all these years, it is unlikely we'll ever see any playable races being added to the game.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Guild wars is not the kind of game where you call "but game X has it, so why not Gw2?"
  • microtransactionsNot a game mechanic. In fact, its better because there are no P2W things in there.
  • raidingThen call it challenging group content.
  • mountsOkay, give you that, but at least they’re not lifeless vehicles like in WoW.
  • trinityWhat? Where? Is it behind the wide variety of team compositions? Sorry.. cant see it..
  • DRAGONSThey’re called such, but only a few of them physically are. They’re forces of nature. Comparing them to generic fantasy dragons just is right out unfair.
  • dungeonsTrue, but its kind of hard to make instanced side-stories and not call them dungeons.

But still no build templates. Yes, GW2 is bastion of originality /sYea.. still praying to Abaddon for that

@"LucianDK.8615" said:You are crazy OP, high elves neither belongs in wow nor here.

It's been awhile -but weren't High Elves like the original elves in wow and then they were split to BE's and DE's?

Anyway, GW2 isn't conventional fantasy -it intentionally turns some stuff on its head -and the closest ANet came to traditional was Dwarves and they pretty much killed them off. Dragons are obviously a fantasy element but they are certainly not the fire breathing hoarders of gold that we are accustomed to seeing -more hoarders of elemental powers, etc.

Sylvari are the "tree elf" race -Asura are the the handy little gadget gnomes the Norns are the half-giant, Beorning style race. And Charr are just weird...j/k the Charr are the beast race.

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:I say bring high elves in. Bring midgets, gremlins, orcs, goblins, ghouls, zoras and fat people as well. The 6 can travel worlds, why can't these races. I dont see why anyone would be angry for bringing in new content. Who cares what it is.

Yea.. why stop there, though?Open the gates to Tamriel.Let the beings of Azaeroth and Middle Earth storm in as well.And we’ll all have dinner with Captain Hook in Howl’s Moving Castle

No need for new races. And why is it always something old? GW2 has Sylvari, which is a rather unique concept and I applaud ANet for making something new. Why do we need Orcs, Elves, Dwarves and all the other staples everywhere? I wish ppl would be more creative...

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Guild wars is not the kind of game where you call "but game X has it, so why not Gw2?"
  • microtransactionsNot a game mechanic. In fact, its better because there are no P2W things in there.
  • raidingThen call it challenging group content.
  • mountsOkay, give you that, but at least they’re not lifeless vehicles like in WoW.
  • trinityWhat? Where? Is it behind the wide variety of team compositions? Sorry.. cant see it..
  • DRAGONSThey’re called such, but only a few of them physically are. They’re forces of nature. Comparing them to generic fantasy dragons just is right out unfair.
  • dungeonsTrue, but its kind of hard to make instanced side-stories and not call them dungeons.

But still no build templates. Yes, GW2 is bastion of originality /sYea.. still praying to Abaddon for that

yeah yeah yeah, I know, none is original, just rewritten old concepts, exactly like in other games :)

I feel GW2 is already slowly becoming more and more generic (Mounts and flat maps, human deities over-relevance, outfits, etc.).I really prefer Tyria without the common, ubiquitous races you can find in ANY OTHER GAME. Please DON'T add absolutely unoriginal, repetitive and boring stuff like elves. Please keep and improve the non standard focus instead. Please don't make GW2 like "most games".

Elves of all sorts have been a staple of many MMO/RPGs. Many game studios have tried to create at least 1 or 2 "unique" races in their franchise and I think GW2 has a rather creative and diverse collection of creatures, playable and otherwise.At this point, I think there is no space for elves given that some of their signature characteristics would overlap with Sylvari and other races. Just personal opinion but the GW2 landscape wouln't benefit from the addition of a generic and overused (perhaps even cliche) race. Also the lore accommodation aspect would be tricky given that elves were never mentioned anywhere previously.

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:Elves are the Mary Sue of fantasy races, no thanks.

Exactly.The "pretty" race with bug-eyes and useless ear-flaps.The "noble" race that's typically xenophobic and snobbish.A race that lives super-long lives, but never learns anything.No thanks.

If we ever did get elves, I want them to be like Dragon Age elves.Dirty.Unsung.Struggling.They shouldn't even have a capital city, just a camp repurposed from an older, better civilization that they're barely keeping from dragon minions or other established threats.

Both the Humans and the Sylvari already fit the "Elf" trope - beautiful-magical, wise beyond years, etc.. Adding another would be redundant.

I, for one, appreciate Guild Wars' universe for bucking tired fantasy trends, and showing some non-Tolkien creativity. Getting rid of the dwarves was a stroke of genius, however disappointing we didn't get to play a living-rock race (Oread/Shaitan).

In the words of one Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw: "Why do fantasy games always need Elves and Dwarves? Elves and Dwarves, Elves and Dwarves, Elves and motherkittening Dwarves... also Wizards..."