Game alt-tabbing or flashing desktop [merged]

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArenaNet Staff

@Amhiel.6195 said:

@"Cassiel.9230" said:Same issue here. Running the game as administrator and turning off the new Windows-Fokus-assistant was able to reduce the duration the "alt-tabbing" (similar to duration in the video above).For me this started after the new Windows 10 update. I have a 1070 graphics-card and just installed the newest drivers. Right now im reinstalling gw2, but after a first try the "alt-tabbing" is still there. As soon as the game is installed completely i will write an ingame ticket.

Hey there, Cassiel (and anyone else who might be thinking about sending in a ticket!)

Can you submit your ticket through the
instead of through an in-game ticket? While the team will see and review reports that come in through the in-game system, we support agents can't reply to them and open a dialogue with you to easily request additional logs or to recommend other troubleshooting steps to you.

I've done that for over a week now, and they keep asking me for the same info that's in my original ticket. They are either not reading them, or trying really hard to dis us while buying some time. I knew what they would be asking for so I gave them everything. Now their solution is to just run in windowed mode which is not an option for me because windowed has microstutter, and gsync although can set it to windowed and fullscreen runs like garbage in that mode.

Hey Amhiel! I found your ticket, and it actually doesn't look like you did quite what we needed. You did send us a list of some hardware you have in your computer, but we did not receive the attachment of the GameAdvisor report that the agent requested from you.

While, yes, this program does send us some of the hardware info you provided, it does far more than that - It will show us additional hardware specs, list the version date of your operating system and drivers, run some short network tests, and highlight any programs which might be interfering with the Guild Wars 2 program in a way that makes it run improperly.

Also, while I understand running in Windowed mode isn't always the most preferred, we often just recommend it as a temporary fix or a test, not as a permanent solution - often, if the an issue occurs in fullscreen but not when playing in a window, this can help us to narrow down the possible causes.

It would be great if you could reply to the agent and let them know that this does resolve the issue, but that you don't prefer that play method for various reasons, and run the GameAdvisor test when you get a moment! We're only going to be able to solve this issue if the users who are experiencing it contact and work with us to try a number of tests and temporary solutions to see what works. :smile:

@"GM Magister.8736" said:

Hey Amhiel! I found your ticket, and it actually doesn't look like you did quite what we needed. You did send us a list of some hardware you have in your computer, but we did not receive the attachment of the GameAdvisor report that the agent requested from you.

While, yes, this program does send us some of the hardware info you provided, it does far more than that - It will show us additional hardware specs, list the version date of your operating system and drivers, run some short network tests, and highlight any programs which might be interfering with the Guild Wars 2 program in a way that makes it run improperly.

Also, while I understand running in Windowed mode isn't always the most preferred, we often just recommend it as a temporary fix or a test, not as a permanent solution - often, if the an issue occurs in fullscreen but not when playing in a window, this can help us to narrow down the possible causes.

It would be great if you could reply to the agent and let them know that this does resolve the issue, but that you don't prefer that play method for various reasons, and run the GameAdvisor test when you get a moment! We're only going to be able to solve this issue if the users who are experiencing it contact and work with us to try a number of tests and temporary solutions to see what works. :smile:

Can I ask a quick question @GM Magister.8736 : I expect you guys are playing the game just like the rest of us. At least from time to time hopefully, and I would guess a fair number of you use Windows 10 and have updated it with the 1803 update. Since you request the around 100 of us posting here experiencing this issue to send in our hardware configurations, am I right in concluding that none of you have this issue on your computers?

@darksome.1697 said:And add me to the list too. Did the latest Windows update yesterday, and after that both GW1 and 2 do the same thing when loading, as described above, and show the windows desktop. Thought it might be a discrepancy between the latest Win10 update and Nvidia drivers, so I updated those too, didn't solve the problem. So it's not the latest Nvidia drivers. Never had this happen before. It's definitely Windows 10 latest update related.

You could try to Roll back to 1709 or before 1803, but you'll need to do it asap, as your windows 10 will delete the old files soon.

• ArenaNet Staff

@darksome.1697 said:

Hey Amhiel! I found your ticket, and it actually doesn't look like you did
quite
what we needed. You did send us a list of some hardware you have in your computer, but we did not receive the attachment of the
report that the agent requested from you.

Can I ask a quick question @GM Magister.8736 : I expect you guys are playing the game just like the rest of us. At least from time to time hopefully, and I would guess a fair number of you use Windows 10 and have updated it with the 1803 update. Since you request the around 100 of us posting here experiencing this issue to send in our hardware configurations, am I right in concluding that none of you have this issue on your computers?

Hi Darksome! While I can't speak for everyone in the office at all, I personally am not experiencing the issue on my work computer, my home computer, or my laptop, and I know that all of these are 100% for certain on the Windows build that is causing this bug for you all. I've had mixed responses from the other employees I've spoke with about it, though in my corner of the office especially we have almost no one experiencing the issue right now.

So yes, that is exactly why we're calling upon those of you in this thread who are experiencing this (especially those for whom disabling the "Focus Assist" feature doesn't work) to contact us so we can work with you to gather more information or find another workaround! :)

Load -> DesktopChange map -> DesktopEnter PvP match -> DesktopLeave PvP Match -> DesktopCharter screen to game -> Desktop

I still see the guild wars styled mouse icon, I feel like the "splash screens" are invisible, or see through. Perhaps the window that holds that is somehow empty? Maybe thats why the person a few up shows the control icons for the window.

@"atheria.2837" said:FaX2AmC.jpg

Good to know I'm not the only one getting this. Every map change, it does that little blip in the corner as shown in that screenshot along with the rest of the desktop but the GW2 cursor is still visible and no other open programs act like they're the current active one (I have discord running in the background and cannot click on it while mid-mapchange minimize weirdness in GW2). I did not experience it until I went from my desktop (where I run two monitors) to my laptop while on a trip out of town. I wonder if the number of screens has something to do with it also.

@zideeffectzz.6379 said:Same thing happen here. And it only happens with GW2. I played PAth of exile and it never happened with the loading screen. Any fixes? Yes, my windows upgraded also and it happeneed right after the update.

i noticed the same thing after i updated windows and my gpu drivers so im guessing windows broke something , its extra annoying because its not just that it flashes out of the game but it also takes a long time to re open the game for some reason , its no big deal for the most part but to me its hell because i mainly WvW and boy does it ruin my game when i have to WP or respond to emergency wp and get held back for 3 minutes

just putting in my two cent, im experiencing screen change on loading into new maps and its only recently started since the latest windows 10 update. Jumping from the game to my o/s then back again. Never had this issue until now and ive turned off focus assist and other new features on the latest windows 10 update.

Edit: Latest Geforce 1080 ti drivers running in 4k at 3840 x 2160 res and i have dpi scaling on but its not active in game

I have a little more info now.

The "flash away" happens for me when it loads my personal data for the map. If I change maps to say, Verdant Brink, first I get a generic Verdant Brink screen as usual. Then GW2 alt-tabs to my desktop while it brings up that same load screen + my personal progress (x/7 waypoints, y/9 Vistas, etc).

Something about loading character map progress causing the trouble?

@"GM Magister.8736" said:...

Can you submit your ticket through the support site instead of through an in-game ticket? While the team will see and review reports that come in through the in-game system, we support agents can't reply to them and open a dialogue with you to easily request additional logs or to recommend other troubleshooting steps to you.

Done.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"atheria.2837" said:
FaX2AmC.jpg

@"Zedek.8932" said:Wait, you are "keeping it in mind" for "future" "adjustments"?This is crippling the mechanics, it should be top priority to be fixed immediately.If you don't test these terrible Deadeye changes (on all levels), you already saved time. Now you can invest these for at least a tiny bit of quality management.

I found that my 'GW2' is not staying contained in its UI

Please someone, stop the map flashing to my desktop at every single map change!

You are quoting someone that is responding to the Deadeye changes thread that was merged with this one, if you are not aware. A merge snafu.

Nothing I can do about someone else moving posts and follow on's that are saying there is a huge issue with the video.

@darksome.1697 said:

quite
what we needed. You did send us a list of some hardware you have in your computer, but we did not receive the attachment of the

Actually I did send it, and I even sent it again.

@GM Magister.8736 said:

quite

Hi Darksome! While I can't speak for everyone in the office at all, I personally am not experiencing the issue on my work computer, my home computer, or my laptop, and I know that all of these are 100% for certain on the Windows build that is causing this bug for you all. I've had mixed responses from the other employees I've spoke with about it, though in my corner of the office especially we have almost no one experiencing the issue right now.

So yes, that is exactly why we're calling upon those of you in this thread who are experiencing this (especially those for whom disabling the "Focus Assist" feature doesn't work) to contact us so we can work with you to gather more information or find another workaround! :)

okay, so if I understand correctly, for those who still have problems with game alt+tabbing after disabling focus assist, we should send you tickets with GameAdvisor report via tickets individually? I'm asking cause I want to know what to say to others I meet with the problem that don't read forums.

@GM Magister.8736 said:

@"Cassiel.9230" said:Same issue here. Running the game as administrator and turning off the new Windows-Fokus-assistant was able to reduce the duration the "alt-tabbing" (similar to duration in the video above).For me this started after the new Windows 10 update. I have a 1070 graphics-card and just installed the newest drivers. Right now im reinstalling gw2, but after a first try the "alt-tabbing" is still there. As soon as the game is installed completely i will write an ingame ticket.

Hey there, Cassiel (and anyone else who might be thinking about sending in a ticket!)

Can you submit your ticket through the
instead of through an in-game ticket? While the team will see and review reports that come in through the in-game system, we support agents can't reply to them and open a dialogue with you to easily request additional logs or to recommend other troubleshooting steps to you.

I've done that for over a week now, and they keep asking me for the same info that's in my original ticket. They are either not reading them, or trying really hard to dis us while buying some time. I knew what they would be asking for so I gave them everything. Now their solution is to just run in windowed mode which is not an option for me because windowed has microstutter, and gsync although can set it to windowed and fullscreen runs like garbage in that mode.

quite

@Magister.8736I did send it, then you asked for it again. I sent it again, and can show you that email too if you like. So here I am with the proof of sending it twice, and you guys have nothing. You know this is a huge issue for many people, some more than others. Mine started out simple map change like everyone else, but turned into flashing to desktop during play ever few mins. Star Wars: Old Republic, RIFT, and World of Warcraft are fine, so it's not windows update issue. It's you guys who couldn't keep with the update like everyone else has. Look I'm not upset that I can't play the game. I'm just really disappointed how it's being handles, and you guys keep asking me for the same info I've sent you already two times. In your initial automated reply it asks for that info. I sent it, and while I was doing it I said to myself " this is where they start doing the copy past replies for a while, asking for the same info" Looks like I was correct. Ask for letting them know. Well it's in the original ticket that it works in windowed mode. Here is my original ticket strait from your site. Copied and pasted. (When I launch the game it flashes to desktop, and even upon simple Way Point map change or character change it flashes to desktop for several seconds. This issue also causes Discord audio to break badly if someone is talking when it flashes. I have run DDU and did a complete display driver installation and update, did -repair to shortcut client, and have windows 10 latest update they released a couple days ago. I have tried with and without admin rights. Still same issue. This only happens when my gw2 is set to fullscreen to my native resolution with is 2560x1440p. Windowed Fullscreen doesn't cause this to happen, but my Gsync doesn't work in Windows Fullscreen, and winfullscreen stutters anyway so I don't use it. World of Warcraft, Swtor, and Rift are not having this problem which leads me to believe it's you and not my system. Yes I am using the 64bit client since you released it. I7 8700k, GTX 1070, 15gb Ram, M.2 SSD in case you needed my specs) Where in there do you see me not already telling them it works in windowed mode? They you guys try saying it's probably my discord? You think I didn't already try without discord? My bad I had typed 15gb instead of 16 gb ram. I would assume you guys knew that was a typing error. Anyway. Look GM, I totally prepared to make this and easy ticket to work on, but you guys completely botched it. Anyway. have a great day. I am off to play WoW for now. Be back later. auTqaFa.png

@GM Magister.8736 said:

quite

I have a Radeon GPU, and I have also noticed that this bug occurs when trying to change certain graphic options like light adaption. Both checking and unchecking that option will flash the desktop. Maybe looking into how this update is affecting the GPU's interaction with the game might help narrow down the issue.