How to balance every single thing that's bad on Engineer [PvP]

Chaith.8256

@Chaith.8256 said:Update, my previous re-work suggestion to Health Insurance was condi removal tied to kits. Now that Health Insurance is re-worked by Anet, a better home for Core Engi condition removal is as follows:

2.) Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 3 seconds of swiftness. 10s ICD per kit.

I dunno about this.

Suppose you're running Med Kit, Grenade Kit, Tool Kit, and Mortar - certainly a conceivable kit build. That's a whopping 12 conditions cleared per 20-second heal cycle - even more if you factor in the 15s cooldown of certain skills + traits like Transmute and Cleansing Synergy.

How is a poor condi ranger or condi engi going to make ANY damage stick when you literally cleanse a condi more than once every 2 seconds. That condi ranger goes pewpewpewpewpew and sticks you with 15 stacks of bleed. Swap kit, gone. That Engi hits you with Blowtorch in melee range. Swap kit. gone. Okay. That engi hits you with Rocket Kick. Swap Kit. Gone. All 5 shots of Poison Dart Volley? Swap kit. Gone. By this time, your first kit is off ICD again and you still haven't even used your heal or cleansing field.

With this trait, you could probably tank 3 or more condition builds indefinitely. They would literally never be able to stick damage. That's not even taking into account cleansing sigils/runes.

Just .. please no. The game doesn't need more cleanse. If anything, it needs less, and it needs less condi spam from a certain few classes.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:Update, my previous re-work suggestion to Health Insurance was condi removal tied to kits. Now that Health Insurance is re-worked by Anet, a better home for Core Engi condition removal is as follows:

2.)
Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 3 seconds of swiftness. 10s ICD per kit.

I think it would be better if the Med Kits' toolbelt skill had a reduced cast time from 1 second to 0.75 seconds and it cleanses conditions or it gives you resistance for 6 seconds.

I think Bandage self should go down to .75s cast as I've suggested before, in addition.

However I do not agree that tying core Engi condi removal more heavily to Med-Kit is smart. Med-kit has great condition removal for a healing skill as it is.

You're right but I don't think Streamlined Kits is the right way. Changing SK will hurt Condi Engi even more.

Really, how is condi Engi dependent on current streamlined kit effects? In my opinion the ability proc effects are largely unreliable fluff. Keep in mind when you only get swiftness once every30s as currently, versus scourge and Spellbreaker you could be without swiftness from 1-29 seconds.

It's not really "dependent" but this one will surely reduce it's power. I'm not talking about the swiftness part though. I'd take 10 sec swiftness every 10 seconds over 20 sec swiftness every 20 seconds every day. Just, it's unreliable but it still benefits condi engi.

I think Anet should go for something offensive for SK instead of something defensive. Just my opinion.

And as @coro.3176 mentioned HT + 4 kit build will be too powerful imo.

@coro.3176 said:

2.)
Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 3 seconds of swiftness. 10s ICD per kit.

I dunno about this.

Suppose you're running Med Kit, Grenade Kit, Tool Kit, and Mortar - certainly a conceivable kit build. That's a whopping 12 conditions cleared per 20-second heal cycle - even more if you factor in the 15s cooldown of certain skills + traits like Transmute and Cleansing Synergy.

How is a poor condi ranger or condi engi going to make ANY damage stick when you literally cleanse a condi more than once every 2 seconds. That condi ranger goes pewpewpewpewpew and sticks you with 15 stacks of bleed. Swap kit, gone. That Engi hits you with Blowtorch in melee range. Swap kit. gone. Okay. That engi hits you with Rocket Kick. Swap Kit. Gone. All 5 shots of Poison Dart Volley? Swap kit. Gone. By this time, your first kit is off ICD again and you still haven't even used your heal or cleansing field.

With this trait, you could probably tank 3 or more condition builds indefinitely. They would literally never be able to stick damage. That's not even taking into account cleansing sigils/runes.

Just .. please no. The game doesn't need more cleanse. If anything, it needs less, and it needs less condi spam from a certain few classes.

I think the suggestion is fairer than you make it out to be. I could see increasing the ICD per kit to 15-20s. Keep in mind if you're doing a damage rotation, you're regularly proccing your condition removal and won't have it available to immediately reactive-cleanse like you make it out to be. It's one condition at a time as well. Keep in mind you're also playing quad kit Core Engi, with Tools.

The point is that core Engineer only has condition removal for whatever your healing skill can offer now, and Transmute I guess. Taking Anti-Corrosion-Plating is not worth. It needs something that can be for core-only, ie: tied to multi-kits, but also be balanced. Maybe 10s per kit is a bit too insane with quad kits, but don't make that the focal point

Edit: I bumped my Streamlined Kits suggestion from a 10s to a 20s cooldown to be more in line with the kind of clear you got with Alchemical Tinctures and consuming/throwing elixirs.

@"Imperadordf.2687" said:It's not really "dependent" but this one will surely reduce it's power. I'm not talking about the swiftness part though. I'd take 10 sec swiftness every 10 seconds over 20 sec swiftness every 20 seconds every day. Just, it's unreliable but it still benefits condi engi.

My suggestion would overall hurt condi engi, for reasons unknown, but yet be monstrously OP as Coro pointed out. I think that's a bit contradictory...

Still not sure what you think Streamlined Kits gives specifically to Condi Engi. It's nothing great. Trading a fire shield/2s super speed every 20s for really good condition removal is not hurting Condi Engi.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@"Imperadordf.2687" said:It's not really "dependent" but this one will surely reduce it's power. I'm not talking about the swiftness part though. I'd take 10 sec swiftness every 10 seconds over 20 sec swiftness every 20 seconds every day. Just, it's unreliable but it still benefits condi engi.

My suggestion would overall hurt condi engi, for reasons unknown, but yet be monstrously OP as Coro pointed out. I think that's a bit contradictory...

Still not sure what you think Streamlined Kits gives specifically to Condi Engi. It's nothing great. Trading a fire shield/2s super speed every 20s for really good condition removal is not hurting Condi Engi.

Nevermind, I have comprehension problems. "How to balance every single thing that's bad on Engineer >>>>>>> [PvP] <<<<<<<<". I meant the Mortar kit SK trigger Gunk which is a part of the Condi Engi's rotation in PvE.

Otherwise I don't think the condition removal will be "OP" but I think it will be powerful more than it should be. The CD should be increased to maybe, 15 seconds. Or you can give it a global CD for all kits, but only 5 sec CD.

@Chaith.8256 said:

Not in the sense that it breaks the build or anything, but that amount of cleanse effectively means you can't play condi engi (or any condi build that isn't mesmer or scourge) in pvp because there will be opponents that you can't ever hope to touch with condi damage except with an unreasonable amount of focus or luck.

@coro.3176 said:Not in the sense that it breaks the build or anything, but that amount of cleanse effectively means you can't play condi engi (or any condi build that isn't mesmer or scourge) in pvp because there will be opponents that you can't ever hope to touch with condi damage except with an unreasonable amount of focus or luck.

Very easily fixed by a number adjustment

Edit: There are still many problems with playing a non-necro/mesmer condi class in PvP.

Things like Conversion Holo and Firebrand exist, the condi hate is pretty real. However, no matter how insane a few builds can stack condition removal, there will be ways for condi builds to carve out viability by countering the prominent builds that have no/little condi removal.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@coro.3176 said:Not in the sense that it breaks the build or anything, but that amount of cleanse effectively means you can't play condi engi (or any condi build that isn't mesmer or scourge) in pvp because there will be opponents that you can't ever hope to touch with condi damage except with an unreasonable amount of focus or luck.

Edit: There are still many problems with playing a non-necro/mesmer condi class in PvP.

Things like Conversion Holo and Firebrand exist, the condi hate is pretty real. However, no matter how insane a few builds can stack condition removal, there will be ways for condi builds to carve out viability by countering the prominent builds that have no/little condi removal.

Overall, I think the way condi is applied and condi cleanses work needs to be changed. The system of removing a whole stack of condi at once is a weird holdover from GW1.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

Overall, I think the way condi is applied and condi cleanses work needs to be changed. The system of removing a whole stack of condi at once is a weird holdover from GW1.

Instead of condition removal, how about condition damage reduction? The only trait that accomplishes this is Iron Blooded. The problem I have with that trait is that it's reliant on you having multiple boons. The Holosmith can easily stack boons like might and other boons thanks to utility skills like Hard Light Arena. Combine that with Spectrum Shield and you've got a fairly sustainable Holosmith.

I remember Chaith mentioning the trait Orbital Command to be changed so that it increases the Mortar Kits' projectile velocity. I was thinking why not change the trait Iron Blooded to reduce physical and condition damage by 10% while using the Elixir Gun, as well as reducing Elixir Gun skills cooldown? Similarly to the Juggernaut trait, this will mean that you have to camp the Elixir Gun when you're under heavy condition pressure or when you're focused by power professions like warriors and thieves.

The engineer already has traits that require kits in order for them to be worthwhile, like Grenadier, Short Fuse, Power Wrench and Juggernaut. They could be better, but still they require those specific kits. Holosmiths have nothing to lose when they choose traits like Iron Blooded, so changing the trait to benefit core engineers and even Scrapper for using the Elixir Gun could reduce the sustain that Holosmiths currently have.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

Instead of condition removal, how about condition damage reduction? The only trait that accomplishes this is Iron Blooded. The problem I have with that trait is that it's reliant on you having multiple boons. The Holosmith can easily stack boons like might and other boons thanks to utility skills like Hard Light Arena. Combine that with Spectrum Shield and you've got a fairly sustainable Holosmith.

I remember Chaith mentioning the trait Orbital Command to be changed so that it increases the Mortar Kits' projectile velocity. I was thinking why not change the trait Iron Blooded to reduce physical and condition damage by 10% while using the Elixir Gun, as well as reducing Elixir Gun skills cooldown? Similarly to the Juggernaut trait, this will mean that you have to camp the Elixir Gun when you're under heavy condition pressure or when you're focused by power professions like warriors and thieves.

The engineer already has traits that require kits in order for them to be worthwhile, like Grenadier, Short Fuse, Power Wrench and Juggernaut. They could be better, but still they require those specific kits. Holosmiths have nothing to lose when they choose traits like Iron Blooded, so changing the trait to benefit core engineers and even Scrapper for using the Elixir Gun could reduce the sustain that Holosmiths currently have.

I have a couple problems with iron blooded being the eGun trait.

HgH is also the Elixir Gun improving skill, reducing CD and granting might on Toolbelt, #4, #5. I think compared to HgH and Purity of Purpose, which are very flexible grandmasters, your E-gun trait sounds more like a Health Insurance-esque adept trait.

Your uptime of eGun should honestly be from 10% to 40% depending on your role, a trait that only works while camping eGun, that's the same problem I have with Juggernaut. Kit camping traits when you're supposed to be playing the dynamic kit-swapping Engineer. ?

@Chaith.8256 said:

HgH is also the Elixir Gun improving skill, reducing CD and granting might on Toolbelt, #4, #5. I think compared to HgH and Purity of Purpose, which are very flexible grandmasters, your E-gun trait sounds more like a Health Insurance-esque adept trait.

Your uptime of eGun should honestly be from 10% to 40% depending on your role, a trait that only works while camping eGun, that's the same problem I have with Juggernaut. Kit camping traits when you're supposed to be playing the dynamic kit-swapping Engineer. ?

I know that camping a kit like with the Juggernaut trait can be boring and would affect core engineers' overall damage. So, I thought instead of camping the Elixir Gun, Iron Blooded can be changed so it grants you protection and resistance for 5 seconds every time you swap to the Elixir Gun with a 10 seconds cooldown. The cooldown wouldn't be too long so that you don't have to wait for it to be applied again in a fight.

The same thing can be done to the Juggernaut trait, having a 10 seconds cooldown and it applies might and stability for 5 seconds when you swap to the Flamethrower, the Grenade Kit or the Bomb Kit.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

Instead of camping the Elixir Gun, the trait can be changed so that the Iron Blooded trait will be granted every time you swap to the Elixir Gun for the physical and condition damage by 10% or higher. It would be similar to Streamlined Kits, only it will have a 10-15 seconds cooldown and the buff lasts for 5-8 seconds.

That's addressing my biggest concern, there's still the part where users will have to choose between reduced CD and might on eGun vs. damage reduction on swapping eGun.

Also another thing about adding the eGun requirement to Iron Blooded, it will serve to push all tools Holos toward conversion builds which I find inherently too defensive and less fun for PvP. Also don't forget, a conversion Holosmith could easily take eGun over Thumper and easily use the on swap effect of your Iron Blooded suggestion, since it's now just one swap requirement every 10-15s.

Not to be a downer but I see more design/meta downsides than reasons to tie Iron-Blooded to eGun.

Maybe a small change in direction would accomplish what you're going for, perhaps Iron- Blooded could allow core-engineer to join the anti-corrosion-plating club? It would still nerf DPS Holosmith in favor of conversion Holo but whatever..

• Iron Blooded: Re-worked. New: While equipped with an Engineering Kit, being critically hit grants 1s of pulsing protection, pulses, 3. ICD: 10 seconds.

Of course this suggestion would not go alongside my streamlined kits suggestion, they'd be mutually exclusive.

I just think it's priority to give core a way to either use antiCorrosion plating or a core-unique way to clear conditions via traits.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

I know that camping a kit like with the Juggernaut trait can be boring and would affect core engineers' overall damage. So, I thought instead of camping the Elixir Gun, Iron Blooded can be changed so it grants you protection and resistance for 5 seconds every time you swap to the Elixir Gun with a 10 seconds cooldown. The cooldown wouldn't be too long so that you don't have to wait for it to be applied again in a fight.

The same thing can be done to the Juggernaut trait, having a 10 seconds cooldown and it applies might and stability for 5 seconds when you swap to the Flamethrower, the Grenade Kit or the Bomb Kit.

Oh I see you edited your post, a lot. One trait giving perma prot and resistance with 100% boon duration, that needs some number adjustments. The idea itself is a step forward but I think it's still too usable by elite specs. I know you like eGun your suggestion for an eGun grandmaster are gonna be immediately slotted by Scrapper and Holo

• 3 weeks later...

New update to Scrapper suggestions:

Hammer:

1.) Electro Whirl's reflect effect activates immediately.

2.) Shock Shield now affects allies as well, applying strong barrier to allies with each strike.

Utility skills1.) Medic Gyro: Reconstruction Field instant to return to consistency with Defense Field.

2.) Medic Gyro: Heals in a 600 radius to be consistent with Bulwark's Watchful Eye buff.

3.) Purge Gyro: Removes conditions as a caster with 600 range instead of pathing to and booping allies.

4.) Shredder Gyro: No longer creates whirl finishers. Now, each strike from shredder gyro rends the protection boon from enemies, and applies 2 vulnerability for 6s

5.) Spare Capacitor: Dazes over the 4 pulses, daze duration reduced from 2s to .5s. Damage tripled, current damage is non-existent

6.) Bulwark Gyro: Number of Targets increased to 10, up from 5.

Traits1.) Shocking Speed - Currently: Leap & Blast finishers in lightning fields applies 5 seconds of superspeed around you. New: All leap and blast finishers apply 2 seconds of Superspeed around you, internal cooldown removed.

2.) Expert Examination - Trait removed and replaced. New: High Performance Alloy - Activated Gyros take no damage for 3 seconds and grant protection to nearby allies. 3s Protection, 240 radius.

3.) Mass Momentum - Currently: Gain power based on your toughness, gain might when you have stability. New: While under the effects of stability, ignore the effects of weakness and gain might.

4.) Final Salvo: Currently: Spawn a lightning field when a gyro is destroyed, granting Superspeed.New: Lightning field now mobile and centered around the Scrapper's position rather than where the Gyro dies.

5.) Applied force: Currently: Gain quickness when you gain might above the threshold. New: In addition to its current effects, while under the effects of quickness, Hammer attacks inflict 20% more damage.

I have an idea for impact savant.Impact Savant: Increase the effectiveness of barrier you receive, and gain Protection when you gain barrier. (protection gain is on an icd.)Barrier effectiveness increase: 20%Protection: 3sICD: 9s

@Ardid.7203 said:Please don't take away my 1 kit perma-swiftness synergy.

If you had Leadership rune and Alchemy, simply bringing my suggested Streamlined Kits and Med Kit would give you 93% swiftness uptime before your passive Elixir B procs. I think it's balanced and gives people many build options to get swiftness, while the main point is to create a selfish-condition removal baseline that's not inventions!

@Ardid.7203 said:So I will be forced to use Leadership Runes, Med Kit AND Alchemy? PLEASE NO! Please stop gutting everything not meta! Do you realize Streamlined Kits is used in PvE too, and not in only one type of build?

You misinterpreted just about everything but yes, my intention was not to reduce movement speed for core Engi. I failed to consider builds that can't run kits, elixirs, or Mecha legs, or use a movement speed rune

So I edited my suggestion:

2.) **Streamlined Kits: Trait re-worked. Now, Swapping a kit removes one condition and grants 20 seconds of swiftness. 20s Global ICD on gaining the swiftness portion, but each kit has a separate 20s ICD for the condition removal.

So there's the same one-kit perma swiftness flexibility.

I agree with most of the suggested changes. I don't agree with the turret changes (I think it should be done another way) or switching short fuse with Bunker down. Bombs are explosives so short fuse should remain in explosives. I also think giving skill #2 on the bomb kit 2 stacks of burning per pulse is too overpowered. Instead the burning duration should be increased.Anet should hire you to do balances patches!

@TheBandit.7031 said:I agree with most of the suggested changes. I don't agree with the turret changes (I think it should be done another way) or switching short fuse with Bunker down. Bombs are explosives so short fuse should remain in explosives. I also think giving skill #2 on the bomb kit 2 stacks of burning per pulse is too overpowered. Instead the burning duration should be increased.Anet should hire you to do balances patches!

You misread my fire bomb suggestion, just the first tick would have 1 additional burn in the suggestion.

I think tying bombs to inventions is the way to go. It has a smoke bomb proc and used to have Elixir-Infused bombs. Every traitline has one or more corresponding kits, except inventions, and Explosives has too many tied to it. Furthermore, Bombs hardly benefit from explosives traits outside short fuse, and they're awkwardly condi in a power traitline, besides the strong PvE auto-attack.

Think about it, condi bomb build first with Firearms, second with alchemy/Scrapper/tools, and third with Inventions taking short fuse. If bombs will get a build after 5 years of awful, that's a really good way.

A few people liked the idea of a unique Engineer transform instead of the coin flip Rampage/Tornado.

I fleshed out the suggestion more:

1.) Elixir X: New: Drink Elixir X to become a monstrous alchemical being. (Bar icon mouseover: Test Subject X). Transform looks like a potion/alchemy re-skinned version of: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Subject_Alpha.jpg . Engineers while transformed into Test Subject X gain 2,000 toughness and vitality, a similar durability compared to Rampage. Stability x2, 3s, boon interval: 3s.

• 1 "Thrash", 1/2s cast, 120 range, Damage: 244 (1.6), Number of targets: 3. -> "Hammer Fist", 1/2s cast, 120 range, Damage: 244 (1.6), Number of targets: 3. -> "Brutalize" 1s cast, 120 range, Damage: 304 (2.0), Number of targets: 3, launches foes upwards for 1 second.

• 2 "Liquefy", dissolve and surge toward a foe, reappearing with a cloud of steam, blinding foes. 3/4s cast. Evade: 1s. 5 second cooldown. 600 range

• 3 "Primordial Frenzy", Grant yourself quickness (3s) and cause each hit in the next 3 seconds to apply bleeding and cripple. Bleed, 6s. Cripple, 1s 1/2s cast. 6 second cooldown.

• 4 "Spine Barrage", Fire a cluster of arcing spines at a target area, pinning and damaging foes. 1/2s cast. 9s cooldown. 240 radius area. 900 range. 770 (2.0) damage. Immobilize, 2 seconds. (Arcing arrow-like ability.)

• 5 "Toxic eruption," Launch and poison foes in a cone with a forceful blast of hazardous waste. 1+1/4s cast. 9 second cooldown. 450 range frontal cone. 532 (2.0) damage. 3 Poison, 10 seconds. Number of targets: 5. (Chaotic release-like ability.)

@"Chaith.8256" said:A few people liked the idea of a unique Engineer transform instead of the coin flip Rampage/Tornado.

1.) Elixir X: New: Drink Elixir X to become a monstrous alchemical being. (Bar icon mouseover: Test Subject X). Transform looks like a potion/alchemy re-skinned version of: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Subject_Alpha.jpg . Engineers while transformed into Test Subject X gain 2,000 toughness and vitality, a similar durability compared to Rampage. Stability x2, 3s, boon interval: 3s.

I never liked the RNG aspect on Elixir X or just elixirs in general. From your suggestions, you get a evasive teleport that blinds foes, quickness that applies bleeding and cripple, an AoE immobilize and a 10 seconds poison, most of which have a really short cooldowns.

While your suggestions on the Subject Alpha transformation sound nice and making it not RNG is a step in the right direction, what do you think the cooldown on the Elixir X should be? 90 seconds? Maybe longer? Also, any toolbelt skill changes or should it remain how it is?

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@"Chaith.8256" said:A few people liked the idea of a unique Engineer transform instead of the coin flip Rampage/Tornado.

1.) Elixir X: New: Drink Elixir X to become a monstrous alchemical being. (Bar icon mouseover: Test Subject X). Transform looks like a potion/alchemy re-skinned version of:
. Engineers while transformed into Test Subject X gain 2,000 toughness and vitality, a similar durability compared to Rampage. Stability x2, 3s, boon interval: 3s.

I never liked the RNG aspect on Elixir X or just elixirs in general. From your suggestions, you get a evasive teleport that blinds foes, quickness that applies bleeding and cripple, an AoE immobilize and a 10 seconds poison, most of which have a really short cooldowns.

While your suggestions on the Subject Alpha transformation sound nice and making it not RNG is a step in the right direction, what do you think the cooldown on the Elixir X should be? 90 seconds? Maybe longer? Also, any toolbelt skill changes or should it remain how it is?

1.) Elixir X: New: Drink Elixir X to become a monstrous alchemical being. (Bar icon mouseover: Test Subject X). Transform looks like a potion/alchemy re-skinned version of:
. Engineers while transformed into Test Subject X gain 2,000 toughness and vitality, a similar durability compared to Rampage. Stability x2, 3s, boon interval: 3s.

Devil's in the details, a ranged two second Immobilize sounds good on paper but attach it to a slow arcing projectile that can be destroyed, it's in the Glue Shot category. Needs very telegraphed casts on the #4 & #5 heavy hitters. In retrospect the main change I would do is put the 5 skill on a 1.25s cast which I'll do now. Also there's no teleport, rather a dash. Evade frames/blinds won't matter a ton on a beefy transform as you usually put people on the defensive, but I also like the flavor of Liquefy.

I would not touch Toss Elixir X, it's the highest skill cap ability that Engineer has. I like the cooldown on Elixir X currently, but without the RNG disadvantage it could go up from 90 to 105-120, and remain pretty useful. Keep in mind Elixirs aren't in the best spot due to Alchemical Tinctures delete.