Can't buy gems.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? I'm trying to buy gems with my debit card, but getting declined over and over for no apparent reason:1) The money is there.2) The card is not blocked (I called twice to confirm this).3) The card info and personal info is all entered correctly.

I've made many of these purchases in the past, and never had this issue before. I've been declined 6 or 7 times tonight. Is it just me?

DRI seem to be having issues of late. I've currently got a ticket open with Support over a payment that threw up an error putting the money into a Visa Reserve for DRI to take, but no gems were received and there was no receipt given. A purchase for a smaller amount of gems went through with no issue about 10 minutes later though. Apart from one rude GM, my ticket's been handled very well by Support and I'm hoping there's a resolution in the next couple of days. All I want is either the gems I've been billed for or the money back so I can attempt the purchase again!So no, it's not just you. DRI are being screwy lately.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exact same problem on my end, this is the only game company that seems determined not to take my money. I'll spend it elsewhere if that's what they really want, but it's probably not preferable.

Digital River seems to have a keen interest in fraud locking my cards constantly when there's nothing wrong with them. =_=

• 2 years later...

More than halfway through 2020 now and still this is a problem. It seems to be a recurring issue as I've read a lot of similar incidents. I'm trying to buy gems to take advantage of the anniversary sale but to no avail. Same problem as those who posted before me: Can't buy gems in-game through PayPal or my Credit Card. I just don't understand why. Does ArenaNet not want my money? I reckon they've lost a lot, I mean A LOT of paying customers because of this issue. Will there be a fix for this soon?

@"rossballa.7610" said:Having the same problem. Contacted support and they said the problem would be resolved within 12 hours although it is usually resolved much quicker. It's been almost 16 hours now with no response.

They said the same to me. It actually took 18 hours from the email saying it would be resolved within 12 hours to the email saying the problem was fixed. In total about 32 hours from me sending in a ticket to the problem being fixed. (8pm Saturday night I sent a ticket, 4am Monday morning it's fixed.)

The first email said "Your recent purchase attempts were caught in our payment processor’s general security checks. They are currently reviewing what’s preventing you from completing a purchase and we will send you an update as soon as this is complete" but the second one didn't give me any details on what they did, just told me it was sorted out. They didn't ask for any additional info and I only filled in the bare minimum when submitting the ticket so I assume it wasn't anything to do with me or my card/Paypal account. This is the first time I've had this problem, and hopefully the last, although having bought 4000 gems in one go it's going to be a while before I buy more anyway.

I've bought gems semi-regularly without problems until yesterday. I tried several times unsuccessfully, at around 21:00 EDT, with a red error code that flashed so fast, that I couldn't read it.

I already knew that many players were having problems, so I contacted support - submitted a ticket. Received the standard reply, "A member of our support team will get back to you as soon as they are able to with a reply. If you need to update your ticket, add additional details, or no longer need assistance, you can reply to this email:..."

Also, as per the advice of some on the forums, I tried to contact Digital River support, with the following result. J8YIuVQ.jpg

Without making any changes at all to software, hardware etc., just now I was able to buy gems & make purchases with them. Wanting to make sure that I had a small stash of gems, to be able to take advantage of other Anniversary sales, I decided to buy more gems.

And couldn't. :s

So, I'll update my ticket & hope that for other players, if you can afford to, then note that it might be a good idea to top up a little higher, if you get the chance to do so at all, because it might not last long. :anguished:

I also am getting the gem purchase error when trying to submit my credit card payment. I submitted a ticket and got the exact same response as Danikat. This situation is very frustrating because now there is a good chance I will miss some items on sale. :/

How hard is it to find a better solution to this issue after years of it happening?

I managed to 'ninja' screenshot it. The red message says: "Unfortunately an error has occurred. Please try again later!"

I'm having the same issue. I have a ticket in, and two different people said 'they did something to my account, and to please try again and let them know if I was still having issues", and neither thing worked. Both of those responses were fairly quick: the first within a day of submitting and the second within a day after my first response. I'm still waiting on a third response, been a few days. Hope they don't give up on me.

@Hesione.9412 said:I use PayPal. Do any of you have a PayPal and, if so, does the problem remain?

I can't buy gems with PayPal. Also tried with a credit card, and it does not work. I have an outstanding ticket (I think, it's not clear to me how to tell if a ticket is open or closed - the last response I got from them was 'they are working on it still'), but haven't heard anything since maybe Friday morning?

@notebene.3190 said:

@Hesione.9412 said:I use PayPal. Do any of you have a PayPal and, if so, does the problem remain?

I can't buy gems with PayPal. Also tried with a credit card, and it does not work. I have an outstanding ticket (I think, it's not clear to me how to tell if a ticket is open or closed - the last response I got from them was 'they are working on it still'), but haven't heard anything since maybe Friday morning?

:( The only time I encountered a problem was years ago, and I tried to buy too many gems in too short a time. I can't remember the maximum number, but once you hit it, you simply can't buy any more for a while. From memory it doesn't give an error, it simply doesn't let you click the button.

I have this issue as well. Haven't played the game for several years and came back this week. Any payment method I attempt (CC, Paypal or Online Banking) results in the same error and I don't even get to the check-out process. As such, at least in my case it doesn't have anything to do with buying too many gems because I didn't bought any in the last 2 to 3 years. I submitted a ticket as well.

Just wanted to add that I have the same issue and my ticket got the "payment processor's general security checks" response. I did use my Paypal to pay for a friend's GW2 account stuff before my own account which could be the cause but otherwise I'm not sure what happened.

What I am really concerned about is that I have just returned to the game due to the anniversary sale (having previously played in Beta!) and I was really hoping to pick up the Living World seasons while they're cheap and now it's looking like I may miss the sale as the issue is not fixed.

Does anyone know if there is a precedent for giving the sale price after the sale has ended in cases like these? It feels super unfair, especially as I have a feeling that the only reason my account is having these issues is because I introduced a friend to the game and purchased the game for him!