About the On Wiki Of Gold project

@Sariel V.7024 said:The wiki tends to have trouble filling out screenshots for the armor gallery, but OWOG doesn't delve into those all that often.

That's my bad, since my computer started playing possum(or may actually be dying...=x), I've been unable to take pictures and am pretty backlogged on images I have to take once it's done pretending to be a dead duck.

• 1 month later...

So all you have to do is help out the wiki by editing it right? What would you do about people who use a different name on the wiki? How would you get the gold they earned to them? I don't care about me not getting any because I edit anyway, but I do care about those putting time aside for the gold and not getting any.

@MadLass.3821 said:So all you have to do is help out the wiki by editing it right? What would you do about people who use a different name on the wiki? How would you get the gold they earned to them? I don't care about me not getting any because I edit anyway, but I do care about those putting time aside for the gold and not getting any.

From the instructions for the Project:

To participate, make your contribution to an article that is in a Set listed below on this project page and then sign this page you're reading right now with the account name or character name where you would like the gold to be sent.

I update the wiki simply because it's the right thing to do. I use other people's collected knowledge, so I feel like I should return the favor.

Now, don't get me wrong: my edits are paltry compared to some writers. But, I try to do my share whenever I see something that needs work.

• 4 months later...

To celebrate the milestone of reaching 600 sets, the On Wiki of Gold project has opened up the doors to include improvements to any wiki article! Head to the project page, and scroll down to Set 600 =) .

Thanks again to all those who have helped update and maintain the wiki over the years. Especial thanks to those who have helped run this project, allowing us to give back to those who keep giving to the community.

• 1 month later...

December 2018 is the month of this wiki project's first ever special event: Adventure Calendar!

Each day in December will have a pair of articles to choose from. Improve one of these for at least 24 of the 31 pairs to qualify for a special thank you. (You can still join in on the previous days' article pairs, but be sure to get in before the whole event vanishes sometime in January!)

The special thank you: Your choice of any gem store item up to an 800 gem value!

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:This project is striking a delicate balance (and credits to Delsea for designing it that way) to encourage editing the wiki without sacrificing to the quality of edits.

I think there's a lot to be said for being careful when incentivising volunteer work. For one, we don't want to encourage a lot of low-effort edits from people who are more interested in gold and gems than they are in the quality of the wiki. A second aspect is that the act of contributing itself is the true reward, so none of us want only incentivised contributions to feel rewarding. And thirdly, sometimes incentives (and even penalties in some studies) can themselves give people a self-excuse not to participate.

However, with the quantities we have here, I think we're in a reasonably safe place: 2 gold is something spendable but not excessive, and 20 gems saves nicely to purchase bigger things. When someone redeems 1200 gems all at once, I usually add a note to thank that player for the large body of work that this represents - improvements to at least 60 articles! And even with this limited time event on top of everything, 24 articles divided by 800 gems is an increase of 33 gems.

I see the project as beneficial for a few groups: people who would like to help the wiki but are looking for articles that aren't finished yet, people who like to be part of a team that focuses on topics together, and people who were going to edit a wide variety of articles anyway and wouldn't say no a few gems here and there. I also write a short note when I check each contribution, and sometimes it's just nice to know that somebody actually saw and appreciated what you added.

If this event sounds like fun to you, give it a try!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@"Kidel.2057" said:I have a wiki account with a different name/email. How do you link the 2 accounts?

Edit: nvm, it's probably by creating a personal page.

Hey Kidel, hope you were able to figure things out. If not, please note that your wiki account is completely separate from your game/forum account. Some people do use the same name for both, but some don't.

For the On Wiki of Gold program, you can just sign your contribution by using [[user:InsertWikiAccountName|Kidel.2057]] (make sure to note the vertical pipe, |). If you're wanting to change your wiki name to one that reflects your game/forum name, please contact one of the wiki bureaucrats to help you out.

• 1 month later...

@BlueIce.6951 said:I want to add information on material farms and was able to add an entry for one of the spinach locations. However, I cannot figure out how to add an icon on the map.

Are there instructions somewhere on adding icons to the static and interactive maps?

The wiki code to add it gets pretty involved. Leave a note on the discussion page for the relevant article (spinach) and one of the gurus might be able to walk you through the details.

• Sad 1

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@BlueIce.6951 said:I want to add information on material farms and was able to add an entry for one of the spinach locations. However, I cannot figure out how to add an icon on the map.

Are there instructions somewhere on adding icons to the static and interactive maps?

The wiki code to add it gets pretty involved. Leave a note on the discussion page for the relevant article (spinach) and one of the gurus might be able to walk you through the details.

Thank you very much for that suggestion. Hopefully someone will be able to point me further along the correct path. :)

@"BlueIce.6951" said:I want to add information on material farms and was able to add an entry for one of the spinach locations. However, I cannot figure out how to add an icon on the map.

This may, or may not, be helpful: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Wiki:Image_formatting#Game_iconsOr, something else on that page.

Good luck.

@"BlueIce.6951" said:I want to add information on material farms and was able to add an entry for one of the spinach locations. However, I cannot figure out how to add an icon on the map.

Hey BlueIce! Adding farming locations to the interactive maps is definitely an interesting idea. It's not one we've currently implemented, and I can't speak to its feasibility, but I'd love to see it brought up for discussion on the wiki.

If you would like to bring this topic up yourself, please head to our community page, click the "+" symbol at the top of the page to start a new topic, and type away!

If you're more interested in simply helping us document the locations, taking screenshots and circling the locations (as seen on the spinach page), is also incredibly helpful and appreciated. =)

@Greener.6204 said:

Hey BlueIce! Adding farming locations to the interactive maps is definitely an interesting idea. It's not one we've currently implemented, and I can speak to its feasibility, but I'd love to see it brought up for discussion on the wiki.

If you would like to bring this topic up yourself, please head to
, click the "+" symbol at the top of the page to start a new topic, and type away!

If you're more interested in simply helping us document the locations, taking screenshots and circling the locations (as seen
), is also incredibly helpful and appreciated. =)

Thank you very much Greener!

I have posted to the community page you recommended. I would really love to get involved with updating and maintaining the wiki.

I cannot tell you how much it has impacted my time in world and how grateful I am to the community that has helped build it up.

I have almost no experience with wiki pages but I am eager to learn and be part of the group that helps the rest of the community :).

• 2 months later...

My only issue is the wiki really doesn't explain at all how to do a lot of the more complex stuff like crafting...

I spent hours trying to work out how to get Marauders insignias etc and the wiki was completely useless in explaining how it was achieved, turns out you can just purchase those off a crafting npc.. which is odd considering many other 4 stat you must go hunting for them..

Wiki was of no use in this respect i had to go to a multiple other sources before i found this.. Why the Wiki cannot be more straight forward and to the point on many things is beyond me.

• Like 1

@Dante.1508 said:My only issue is the wiki really doesn't explain at all how to do a lot of the more complex stuff like crafting...

I spent hours trying to work out how to get Marauders insignias etc and the wiki was completely useless in explaining how it was achieved, turns out you can just purchase those off a crafting npc.. which is odd considering many other 4 stat you must go hunting for them..

Wiki was of no use in this respect i had to go to a multiple other sources before i found this.. Why the Wiki cannot be more straight forward and to the point on many things is beyond me.

Huh? When you wiki marauders insignia it literally tells you all the materias you need and where you get the recipe.

• 10 months later...

@FOX.3582 said:Another attempt to get free employees, no thanks. For gold, I just play the game. Give me Euro’s if you want me to work for the game.

I can't bring myself to edit the Wiki. I never did it when it was free. So doing it now would feel like I was only doing it for gold.

Whereas those who have already edited. They've proven that they will do it for free and altruistic reasons.

@Katelynn.6593 said:

@FOX.3582 said:Another attempt to get free employees, no thanks. For gold, I just play the game. Give me Euro’s if you want me to work for the game.

I can't bring myself to edit the Wiki. I never did it when it was free. So doing it now would feel like I was only doing it for gold.

Whereas those who have already edited. They've proven that they will do it for free and altruistic reasons.

I edit the Wiki often, and have hardly ever filled out the form for Gold.

So, feel free to edit to your heart's content.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:46 PM, Dante.1508 said:

My only issue is the wiki really doesn't explain at all how to do a lot of the more complex stuff like crafting...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marauder_Intricate_Gossamer_Insignia

So where it says “Acquisition” right under it is “source”... which in this case is the recipe... same steps.. check “Acquisition”

The reason the wiki doesn’t say where to get the recipient is because you probably were just on the linked page above. That page is specific to the insignia itself and not the recipe, which has its own page, if you’re wondering why that is, it’s more than likely to keep pages clear and concise. In this case I think it has less to do with the wiki and maybe more so you’re not used to it? 

As far has games go, it’s the best one out there AND it’s not riddled with ads. Ever try to use wowhead on a phone? It crashes so often.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, Katelynn.6593 said:

It's true that incentives for volunteer work can affect motivations. I hope that the incentives for On Wiki of Gold, which is still going strong, are not so high that they appeal to people who are only after gold, but are high enough to encourage people who may not have contributed otherwise. And, importantly, if there is an article bounty on a topic you were going to contribute to anyway, it is 1000% okay to sign your name and reap the rewards from the fortunate coincidence!