Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

I'm curious, anyone else who's experienced this, are you running a cloud backup service? I've only experienced this disconnect twice, playing through all of LWS3 and Path of Fire. (Sounds like I should be grateful for my luck; sympathies to everyone who's getting hammered by it.) Last time was during "The Departing" in PoF Act 3, twice in a row at the end, and I noticed Crashplan was chugging away both times, so I put it to sleep, and the mission completed just fine. Ever since, I just sleep CP whenever I'm going to get into story instances and I haven't had a problem.

BUT, I only experienced the DC bug a couple times anyway, so that doesn't really prove anything. And it sounds like this is one of those bugs where eight different people try eight completely different things and it fixes it. But still, figure it's worth mentioning.

Hello,I am playing through my personal story on a new character and I am unable to finish it because of constant game crashes. I noticed the game crashes after cutscenes or dialogues and sometimes right after a loading screen. After said cutscene my character is able to move around but cant weaponswap and all abilities are stuck and then I get kicked out of the game. It is happening after many instances from fight with zaitan, drytop and silverwastes and eirs death in the hot story line and currently I cant finish the instance where I enter tarir with Glints egg. I tried 7x now and it crashes everytime. I it very frustrating and I am unable to replay the story....The code that showes up after I get kicked out of the game is : Code=7:11:3:191:101 . I tried reinstaling the game, and chceck my firewall and internet connection but nothing helped.Thank you for looking into this.

@steelpenguin.1860 said:any particular reason that actually trying to follow the story line is discouraged? or do I have to try to do it a certain number of time before it'll let me pass?

In case it isn't obvious, the disconnections are a bug, and completely unexpected. Most players do not encounter them, and while ANet are still trying to figure out why folks like you are hitting them, there is no obvious common pattern to triggering the issue.

So, to concretely answer your questions: following the story line is not discouraged, and you do not have to repeat any part of the story more than once, ever, in the design.

I haven't encountered the issue since removing the local.dat file and letting the game generate a new settings file, and locking the framerate to 60 FPS. Still need to see if unlocking the framerate keeps it stable, or if the local.dat file is the culprit.

@"JonSP.1940" said:I'm curious, anyone else who's experienced this, are you running a cloud backup service? I've only experienced this disconnect twice, playing through all of LWS3 and Path of Fire. (Sounds like I should be grateful for my luck; sympathies to everyone who's getting hammered by it.) Last time was during "The Departing" in PoF Act 3, twice in a row at the end, and I noticed Crashplan was chugging away both times, so I put it to sleep, and the mission completed just fine. Ever since, I just sleep CP whenever I'm going to get into story instances and I haven't had a problem.

BUT, I only experienced the DC bug a couple times anyway, so that doesn't really prove anything. And it sounds like this is one of those bugs where eight different people try eight completely different things and it fixes it. But still, figure it's worth mentioning.

OneDrive for Business, OneDrive Personal, and Dropbox :expressionless:

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:Have you submitted bug reports in game? As I said, we're still trying to find the common denominator in the disconnects.

How are we supposed to put an 'in game report' on a thing that doesn't allow us a screen, error code or anything else we can screenshot or document?

It's GW2 that needs to go to an error screen, and most of the time it is not.

Played through all of PoF, half of HoT, and up to the last chapter of core tyria and the common thread between all the disconnects I've had is that they've always been when the mission objective is being updated (particularly when it's being updated to "complete"). A lot of the time that means cutscenes, but I've had disconnects without them as well

If anyone has the enthusiasm to try it, it might be quite interesting for y'all to grab Microsoft Message Analyzer (or some other tcpdump equivalent) and telling it to watch what happens with your GW2 connections. Port 6112 (on the instance server) is the most interesting one, I believe, as that is what would be disconnecting when you get kicked from the instance.

I'm specifically thinking that the traffic drops to zero during these "cut scene" things, and some network device or firewall forgets about the connection, and so doesn't forward it correctly afterwards; the pattern of traffic around the disconnect should make clear what is going on.

This is just a theory, and requires a somewhat advanced understanding of TCP/IP networking to implement, so I don't recommend it if you don't already have some idea in that direction. It may, however, help lead to a fix for the underlying problem.

I'd do it myself, but it just works™ for me, I'm afraid, so I can't do the test -- I can't reproduce the problem, which clearly exists and hits some players super-annoyingly.

Jeffrey,If you're still watching: Instead of trying to reproduce or find the issue, why don't you just make the issue a non-issue by adding checkpoints? No reproducing, no fixing, just making it so that we can actually get through a story line. I have 10 characters, level 254, and have never finished the game storyline because of disconnects ONLY on the storyline. Trying to find why 100 people have flat tires is a 'nice to know' thing, but building a better tire would just solve it in the meantime. I love the game, but the storyline? Ain't happening. The sad part is, I need some items I can only get from the storyline. Did I mention checkpoints??????????? As mentioned 100 times by others already?

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793Hope this is still being looked into, because it is definitely still an issue. I've DC'ed a number of times I cant even count and through perserverence have made it to the last part in PoF story. but Dc'ed near the end. I've tried plenty of the homebrew "fixes" but they don't really fix anything as much as decrease the chance of it happening. I feel like the main issue is the fact that there is not a grace period for reconnecting to your instance. If that was implemented it would solve the problem of having to do entire story missions all over again. I was very excited for this story and have enjoyed it indeed. But I feel like I have to speed run my missions so I don't have to restart from scratch. Its not a fun experience when you can't relax. Hope this fixes soon, but considering this has been a problem for the little man since 2016 I wont get my hopes up.

I have submitted in game bug supports a few times for the departed story. I managed to send it just before I disconnected.Whether it made to Anet or not. I have no idea.But I am still stuck at that story no resolution. I am waiting and going to see if I will buy next expansion or not.What is the point if you can't do the story?

I have been having this issue but I seem to have fixed it by creating a rule for GW2 in Windows Firewall, both Inbound and Outbound allowing all connections. There wasn't a rule generated for it previously.

If it happens again after doing this, I'll update.

EDIT: Didn't work, disconnected on Arah.

I have started playing this game around a year ago a couple of months before PoF release, I liked it while playing free and prepurchased the PoF before its release together with the HoT. I even purchased the old Living Stories. Looking back now it has been one of the worst game purchases I have ever made. I rage quitted several times and uninstalled the game because of the storyline disconnections 6-7 months ago. A week ago I decided to reinstall and give it another shot. Today I wasted 3 hours on Beast of War story of PoF. Looks like there is no progress on this issue and at this point I don't think there will ever be. Normally I don't care much about bugs, or crashes but when they cause me to repeat the mission from the beginning and waste the little time I have for playing games it becomes extremely annoying. I have uninstalled today for the second time and I don't think I will give this game a third chance. It is a pity because I really liked the gameplay.

Just adding to this, I've got the same.

It ruins the experience completely since it always happens at the very end of the instance. The second that I see that instance, movie icon pop up over the head of my character I know that I'm screwed again. This should be the #1 bug to fix really. In the mean time - isn't it possible to add a completed flag to the mission before the final cut scene begins? It's 2018 now, the game should be aware that you just completed an instance instead of dropping you at the very start again.

Just a reminder: try hitting your auto-attack button (eg: 1 or whatever) every couple seconds during that period. See if that helps.

Also, if you want to tcpdump the data stream, I'm looking to see if we have the same symptoms for other folks to the one example so far, which puts it most likely in a router NAT table dropping the connection details or something.

It doesn't help to hit ANY key--since the connection to the server has been "lost". That's the error message I'm getting when the DV occurs (at the end of the LONG story episodes (like killing Balthazar's statue in "The Dragon's Reach Part 2"-----------at the final cutscene. All I get is the film reel then the above disconnect notice. DC's (to me) ONLY occur at the end cutscene in the LONGER story lines.

Crashing on City of Hope (Twice so far). The second time (on different days with the computer having been rebooted several times) it was obvious what was about to happen and it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

The entire egg chamber glows for about 30 seconds trying to load a cinematic, then the entire game crashes.

https://imgur.com/a/QYyHhoL

https://imgur.com/a/CR1efqf

Lost all story progress both times, which is uh, very annoying, to put it politely.

@"undouble.1472" said:It doesn't help to hit ANY key--since the connection to the server has been "lost".

The point is to generate client<=> server traffic before the connection is lost, to determine if that helps prevent it being lost in the first place. So, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but ... try hitting that button during the cutscene, ok?

That's the error message I'm getting when the DV occurs (at the end of the LONG story episodes (like killing Balthazar's statue in "The Dragon's Reach Part 2"-----------at the final cutscene. All I get is the film reel then the above disconnect notice. DC's (to me) ONLY occur at the end cutscene in the LONGER story lines.

If you want more detailed analysis, hit up a tcpdump (or wireshark, or the native capture stuff for Windows 10, they are all fine) for the game traffic, and post it here, and I'll happily take a look and see if it matches the pattern I expect: a long period of zero traffic, after which the game tries to resume, but the intermediate device has forgotten the connection, so it doesn't manage to actually communicate with the server.

This has been going on for a LONG TIME. How furiously frustrating is it to go through an entire chapter, fight and kill a final boss, then get disconnected during the final dialog? THEN, you have to do it all over again! I quit GW once over this because it was so frustrating. You can see that it happens to MANY PEOPLE, yet Anet does not acknowledge that there's a problem. Other posters will also claim that it's the internet connection, blah, blah, but CLEARLY, that's not the case. IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.

@"Elisias.4267" said:This has been going on for a LONG TIME. How furiously frustrating is it to go through an entire chapter, fight and kill a final boss, then get disconnected during the final dialog? THEN, you have to do it all over again! I quit GW once over this because it was so frustrating. You can see that it happens to MANY PEOPLE, yet Anet does not acknowledge that there's a problem. Other posters will also claim that it's the internet connection, blah, blah, but CLEARLY, that's not the case. IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.

Actually, the Devs have acknowledged, and posted a few times, the issue in the 'official' thread. You might consider perusing said thread, and posting your information there.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/463808/#Comment_463808 (You can use the 'Next ArenaNet Post' feature to read the Dev responses.)

Good luck.