Low FPS / Lag Issues [MERGED]

@CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:I now get 19fps with vsync on in large scale wvw fights, since the last windows update, which was forced on me, because of some kind of boot file corruption.It's pretty hard to play when it drops that low from 60fps, especially when you have so many player models and effects going off.

It is possible, perhaps even likely, that whatever corruption occurred has also had negative effects on other system components. I'd strongly advise ensuring that your drivers are up to date, if relevant the dedicated GPU is being used, etc.

Hi there!Been having troubles since a few weeks now. FPS are as low as 8. No real fix found. Tried several Nvidia Divers - no longterm success. Every now and then it helps to restart several times (between 1 and 10 restarts) and then the FPS are as they should be (around 70 without limiter).Specs:i7-6700K @4GHz16 GB RAMNivia GTX 970 (MSI)Win 10Power Settings: High Performance

Addition to the screenshot: Doesn't matter if I run full screen or windowed. Same low FPS.Screenshot: https://ibb.co/eJvgqdUntitled.jpg

Moreover in large towns, outpost, and events the fps drop is not related to graphics processing. It's related to networking and the interconnection of you and all the other players around you that you can resurrect or share a boon with. This duty falls on the CPU and it's amount of PCI lanes to process the networking traffic internally. Externally loose the wireless internet at every point possible and don't use cheap routers and firewalls, to maximize your throughput.

I've also seen pretty low fps with this game. system info:CPU: Intel i7 6700KRam: 32 GBVideo Card: 2 x GTX 970 in SLIHard Drive: Samsung 960 512gb m.2 nvme driveMonitor: 1920x1080 Asus ROG PG258 240Hz

With all settings max I only get around 30 fps in the Grove. Setting Render Sampling to Native and LOD Distance, Environment to Medium and Character Limit to Low gets me up to about 70-75 in the same location

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:I now get 19fps with vsync on in large scale wvw fights, since the last windows update, which was forced on me, because of some kind of boot file corruption.It's pretty hard to play when it drops that low from 60fps, especially when you have so many player models and effects going off.

It is possible, perhaps even likely, that whatever corruption occurred has also had negative effects on other system components. I'd strongly advise ensuring that your drivers are up to date, if relevant the dedicated GPU is being used, etc.

No, it was a fresh install and everything is installed correctly. I did roll back to win10 1709 and my miniumum frame rate is a little better though.

Hello,

1. When did this issue first start?
  2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?

PoF release. It got so bad over the time(Palawadan release) that I had to buy a m2 SSD 2 months ago. I couldn't play at all, the lag hit me everywhere. It was so bad that I could count the pictures :/ My monitoring showed that the hdd was always at peak usage. My PC runs at every other game I own without any problems.

Since I use a Kingston Pcie SSD the problem got much much better(I had a Sata SSD before). I only notice the lag/fps drop after a long playtime.

Mainly the CPU spikes. I own a MSI Mortar and a 6600k. When i play in "normal" mode without overclocking, then I have the problem I described above. If I run it with maximum cooler settings and "turbo mode" the problem is less likely to occur. The ram is never full.

I can offer you the following observations: The lag/fps drop occurs if I stand for a long time in a city, or at the Leatherfarm with the time when there have been many different characters. But the problem occurs at the leatherfarm only at certain areas of the farm route(i.e. where the fate to the two watchtowers with the chests is. On the cliff before that area is the worst point. (where the 3 mobs stand in a corner).

If you're interested in more observation please contact me, I'm observing the problem for a long time and when it occurs, I just don't wanna write a long text in vain - that may even not answers your questions. It occurs also on my other PC. The Kingston kc1000 SSD I'm using has got a clean install with almost exclusively GW2 on it. I run the game without any other programs running.

In some cases it gets worse if I open the Tradepost or any other panel. The Tradepost takes sometimes forever to load.

If I reduce the number of displayed character models in the options it seems to have an impact on the FPS. But Many players on a WvW map are no problem - only on the new maps like Lake Doric, Istan etc. But It seems to be more like a glass, once the unknown something is full, the game starts to have FPS drops. For instance I was in Lions Arch waiting for a PvP Match to start. In the middle of the PvP Match the lag suddenly hit me.

I fix the problem with relogging. But if I'm in PvP or a similar instance where you cannot relog - let's say a full Palawadan map... I've either to cancel or sit it out with 1-2 fps.

N.b. before PoF my pc was always at top effiency I never had FPS drops.

1. What is your general geographical location?Europe/Austria
  2. On what game world are you playing?Elona Reach

Many of my guildmembers and regular farmers report that the problem get's worse. I hope that you'll be able to identify the issue. I'd be glad to help you if you need further information.

Regards

I recently picked this game back up, and I'd like to also add my experiences so far on this issue. But first, as the mod wanted:

1. When did this issue first start?Around April 10th, 2018 (when I started playing again - I don't recall this issue when I played a few years back)
  2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?Consistent below average fps for my rig (ie. steady 15-25 fps with NVIDIA GeForce optimized settings - but instead with windowed borderless - and ~45 fps on "Best Performance" settings)
  3. What is your general geographical location?East Coast of the United States
  4. On what game world are you playing?Blackgate

To also add my rig's information:OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version: 1803, Build: 17134.48)CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (slight overclock)GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080 (Gigabyte)Ram: 16GBStorage: 953GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB

I've got no mods or anything fancy done to the game, and I did all of the things below while in Lions Arch with a fair amount of people actively running about (~5 at a time) and a significant amount of people standing around (40+ at a time). My 'tests' were running in a circle (W and E keys pressed) for a few seconds, watching the fps counter, and doing a rough average estimate. Average ping stayed below 100, with no dramatic spikes.

Some things I've tried:

• Set power settings to "High Performance" (no change)
  • Downgraded nvidia graphics driver to 388.71 (slight decrease in fps; ~5 fps)
  • Updated graphics drivers to latest version (no change)
  • Update OS from 17-something-something to 1803 (slight increase in fps; ~5 fps)
  • Deleted gw2 cache folder, then reset settings back to max w/ windowed fullscreen (no change)
  • Logging in and out / exiting to desktop & re-entering (no change)
  • Enabled NVIDIA In-Game Overlay, as I initially had it turned off (no change)
  • Manually unparked cores, through registry & restarting (no change)
  • Changed resolution from Windowed Fullscreen -> Fullscreen 1920 x 1080 -> Windowed (no change)

I also played with a few in-game settings:

• Set Character Model Limit setting from Highest -> Lowest (~7 fps improvement)
  • Set Character Model Quality setting from Highest -> Lowest (~2 fps improvement) ( With both set to lowest, math checks out with ~9 fps improvement)
  • Set various other settings from max to lowest (/none when available) with a few extra frames for each. But no single setting caused a dramatic increase
  • Setting Render Sampling from Supersample to Subsample actually decreased average fps by ~2, while setting to native increased it by ~4

Here's a gif of what I was doing - note the lower fps is due to recording. One thing to note about all these changes is that when I was running my 'tests' is that when I initially started to run, the fps was drop dramatically to 5-8 then after a second or two climb its way back up to the ~20 average and stay there for the remainder of it. It's like it needed a bit to 'warm up' or something then it was good. You can see this in the gif, too.

For now I'm just going to set settings to the manageable Best Performance, as it's too un-enjoyable playing at such low fps. It'd be really nice getting any insight into if devs are looking into the problem or not... It sorta seems like this thread has gotten lost to the devs. At least hearing SOMETHING back would be nice.

Been having lag spike problem the last couple of weeks.

Playing from Indonesia, latency is usually stable @ around 200-300ms tops. Now latency can spike up to 2Kms, with the average around 600ms - 800ms

Cant play the game like this, even just doing open world map completion is unplayable :(

My case is this:

I am playing from Indonesia.Usually I get ping about 300, but stable.

Now, I've been getting lag spikes in GW2 (GW2 only, other games are fine).In short interval, my ping sky-rocketed to 1100, and goes back to 300. It keeps doing that for the entire session.

Here is my Pingplotter snapshot:https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkbh96h6lsdyffw/snapshot.PNG?dl=0

The packet loss occured relatively on hops between Amazon IPs.

I know it is Amazon IP by checking through http://geoiplookup.net/ip/

I've also submited a ticket of it. Hopefully ArenaNet can use it as reference to fix the issue.

Cheers.

@Quella Persona.6297 said:@Inculpatus cedo.9234

snapshot.PNG?dl=0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on Telia the Packet Loss doesn't seem that much compared on the Amazon Hops. :/(hop number 16 and up)

Your issue isn't the packet loss -- which is mostly irrelevant, being just routers not returning diagnostic packets -- but rather, the fact that the latency takes a HUGE jump in the Telia network. Packet loss can cause increased user-perceived latency, but in this case Telia have a slow network that is introducing some real delays in communication.

@"SlippyCheeze.5483"Wouldn't It be causing delay but still stable if there is high latency? I'd understand if the ping is high, but my ping seems very unstable. (Jumping from 300 to 1100)

From what I understand from https://www.pingplotter.com/wisdom/article/latency-packet-loss.html, packet loss seems the only thing that can cause unstable connection. (For example in my case, It should have been stable latency 318)

Pardon me, I am inexperienced in networking stuff.

@Quella Persona.6297 said:@"SlippyCheeze.5483"Wouldn't It be causing delay but still stable if there is high latency? I'd understand if the ping is high, but my ping seems very unstable. (Jumping from 300 to 1100)

From what I understand from https://www.pingplotter.com/wisdom/article/latency-packet-loss.html, packet loss seems the only thing that can cause unstable connection. (For example in my case, It should have been stable latency 318)

Pardon me, I am inexperienced in networking stuff.

Not necessarily: that could be server-side processing delays or something. It could also be that the variability of delay on that Telia link is high, so while the ping test comes through pretty stable, the actual GW2 connection (which sends a lot more packets sometimes gets hit by the "unlucky" huge delay, causing latency to bounce around a lot.)

The way to spot "significant" packet loss is to look for the place on the trace where the packet loss goes up to a specific level (eg: 2 percent), and stays at least that high for every subsequent hop.

Some routers just ignore diagnostic packets that end at their hop, but pass them through just fine, which shows up as a spike in packet loss for one hop, followed by a return to "normal" (typically 0 percent) following.

In your case we see two machines before we get to Amazon that show some packet loss, then a return to zero: public routers that are not responding with diagnostic packets sometimes, to save processing power for useful work.

Inside the Amazon network everything jumps around hugely, but that is because the AWS routers mostly don't respond, either at all, or some of the time, rather than genuine packet loss.

I have to almost constantly turn down the character model limit and quality to be able to play properly, all other settings seem to have no influence . The game only runs without problems when I am in a rather unpopulated old Tyria zone (Diessa Plateau for instance has great performance). My usual FPS is in the low 20s on newer maps and in cities, rather around 30 on older maps in Tyria. In cities there's a difference between areas with many people (eg LA at the bank) and deserted areas (eg LA at the Tengu gate)

What is a big problem for me ist that the Trade Post and things like item previews also don't work. An item preview can take minutes to load, the Trade Post sometimes doesn't load at all. When I try to get my crafting done and buy some missing materials I often can't even type in the amount I want to buy because it lags so badly. I had to move my main crafting char from the Grove to Ebonhawke (where I manage to have 30 FPS, which is a lot for me these days) to be able to do anything at all. In the guild hall for instance the Trade Post loads perfectly, but of course so if I'm really desperate I can make orders there.

When Gw2 is running my CPU is almost all the time at 100% as soon as more than about 5 people are around. Performance improved when I installed the game on my SSD , but it's still not really running smoothly at many times and the problem with CPU stayed of course.

In the past I could run GW2 in window mode along with Photoshop and a CAD program without issues. Today I'm happy if I can have a browser window to look something up on wiki. (and my computer was upgraded over the time)

1. When did this issue first start?It started at about the time Istan was patched into the game.

2. Has it been consistent across time, or has it become worse lately? Or has it come and gone (been intermittent) over time?My problems got better or worse with every patch. They were very severe earlier this year, then one patch improved everything very much and now it's bad again but not as bad as it once was. I now have small but persistent lags again, a bit like playing with hickups, very annoying when you try to get over a rock and miss all the time.Interstingly it also got worse after I got a new nvidia graphics card because my old ati card died a sudden death.

3. What is your general geographical location?Austria

4. On what game world are you playing?Elona Reach

Still having problem.

Record today is 4K ping, constant lag spiking.

Tried to play a couple of hours today, ended up having to alt tab out and closing the game manually due to lag several times

Have tried to use the support form and emailing the game advisor result to Anet, but no response so far.

Not whining, just wish/hope latency can get back to my usual 200ms - 350ms, good enough for my open world play

Really think problem is coming from anet servers, no noticeable lag when playing other online games / other internet activities (streaming, browsing etc)

ArenaNet made a business decision that basically screwed over-seas players playing on NA servers, that is the real problem. Unfortunately this is an issues that will never be fixed permanently. This will happen over and over (and over) because Amazon is terrible. Maybe you will get a few days where latency is stable, but I can gurantee you 100% that high latency/lag spikes will be a recurring problem.

I have had totally unplayable issue for several days now. I tried every suggestion here. I have lowered in game settings to the bone and still I am getting 2-4 FPS. I can't run a traceroute, I am not savey enough for that and your directions do not cover the 64 bit version, my Ping rate is over 300 most of the time, quite often going twice that or more. I upgraded Windows 10 Professional 64 bit and updated my graphics drivers, but nothing will work. I know we do not pay a monthly subscription, but we do buy Gems and Gem cards and buy expansions... Is there any hope for a fix to this, I log on and get my daily log on reward, but most times I cannot even run the basic daily. Please help.

I thought I'd solved my low FPS issue but it seems to have just gotten more unpredictable. Sometimes I'm back up to 50-70 FPS (which was my normal range until a few weeks ago, but other times it's as low as 7 FPS (or 1 when I was fighting Tequatl earlier) and usually sitting around 14-20.

I cannot work out why this is happening. My ping ranges between about 55 and about 200 and the ping going up doesn't match the FPS going down. My computer's activity is sitting consistently at 25-30% CPU use, 55-60% memory and 25-30% GPU when GW2 is running, no matter if I'm alone in an empty cave or fighting Tequatl. Nothing seems to be changing except the FPS.

@pwng.6953 said:I also played with a few in-game settings:

• Set Character Model Limit setting from Highest -> Lowest (~7 fps improvement)
  • Set Character Model Quality setting from Highest -> Lowest (~2 fps improvement) ( With both set to lowest, math checks out with ~9 fps improvement)
  • Set various other settings from max to lowest (/none when available) with a few extra frames for each. But no single setting caused a dramatic increase
  • Setting Render Sampling from Supersample to Subsample actually decreased average fps by ~2, while setting to native increased it by ~4

I'd recommend keeping native sampling, FWIW. It'd be interesting to know if any of the cores of your CPU are at, or close to, maximum load during your testing, I think?

Yeah, been experiencing massive connection issues for about roughly a week now aswell. It's pretty weird though, like i can play pretty normally for like 10 mins, then there's two minutes or so of massive ping spikes where my ping shoots up all the way to 5k and beyond and then it returns to normal again just like that - Needless to say playing in any form whatsoever becomes all but impossible during that time. Sometimes it DC's directly, other times just standing still and waiting it out prevents said DC's from occuring.

The other day like half of our squad in DS got booted during a mass DC, the commander was among them and someone else had to tag up because of this. Generally big meta events like TD with a lot of stuff happening at once seem to be more affected by this. I already tested my own connection and it's perfectly fine too.

It definitely seems like congestion/configuration issues on their end, and it's not the first time this has happened either during the 4 and a half years i've been playing.

• 2 weeks later...

THIS MAY FIX OUR PROBLEMS!!!FOR IMMEDIATE TESTING!!!

If you are having any of the FPS issues in this thread, and you are in windows 7, 8, or 10, please attempt this fix.

FOR ADVANCED USERS:Find "Desktop Window Manager" or "DWM.exe" in your task manager or services manager, set its CPU PRIORITY to Low, Lowest, or Idle, depending on your version of windows. Let me know!

IF YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT PART, KEEP READING.

Windows 10 InstructionsOpen your task manager (ALT-CTRL-DEL works, or you can right click on your task bar)OPTIONAL: At the bottom of that window, you may need to click "More Details", just do it now to be sure.OPTIONAL: Sort by name to prevent stuff from flipping around all the timeFind "Desktop Window Manager" and right click on it, Select "Go To Details"That will open a different column, "DWM.exe" should be selected. Right click it again.In that drop-down list, find "Set Priority" and click the lowest one in the list (Should be Low, might say Idle"NOT OPTIONAL! Test it, and come back and let me know!

Instructions for Windows 7 and 8 are similar, but I don't have a computer with either installed, hopefully some kind soul will put up some instructions in a reply!