Old school Dreadnought's Drifts chests — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Old school Dreadnought's Drifts chests

One of the biggest mysteries in GW1 for me was the existence of the two loot chests in Dreadnought's Drifts (there was also one in Ice Floe right outside Thunderhead Keep but Wiki seems to have no information on that one):

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lost_Strongbox
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Frozen_Chest

Few people knew about these chests and as soon as more people learned of them they got removed. What was special about these chests was not just the fact that no keys were needed to open them, but also that they seemed to be able to drop every weapon skin that was in the game at that point, ranging from weakest to max stats. I farmed the chest in Ice Floe alot and got a bunch of weird skins like Swamp Clubs, Dwarven Hammers/Axes and Crystalline Swords, but interestingly, the chest also dropped some ritualist foci before Factions was even released!

So what was up with these chests? Were they even supposed to exist in the first place? Were they designed and put in the game like that on purpose or were they bugged from the start?

Tagged:

Comments

• I have no idea about those specific chests, but I would guess based on the underlying system that they were added by designers with good intentions as a prototype or as bonus loot for reaching them, but accidentally went live in a too-generous state.

A story about a similar incident, to make up for not knowing about this one: When the Zaishen Chest was in early development, it accidentally got shipped to the live servers. It had some of its loot sketched in, but the keys weren't implemented - so, it was completely free to open, though you could only use it once per entry to Isle of the Nameless.

You can imagine that once word got out, a stream of players was entering Great Temple of Balthazar and running across the bridge to the Isle. Diligent tester that I am, I was among them - after all, it was important to check how many items the players could get, right? So I took advantage of the free loot for a few minutes while the leads discussed options.

A live build to fix the problem would take half an hour or longer, so a rarely-used option was deployed in the meantime - ordering the instance servers to stop making new instances for Isle of the Nameless. When this happens, players who try to travel to the blocked zone enter a state where they are waiting for confirmation that their instance is ready before starting a load screen, and they can't move. So the moment that fix hit the servers, a crowd of loot-minded players got stuck on the bridge to Isle of the Nameless, unable to move. It quickly became a dense mob of players chattering and joking about being stuck.

One of the leads logged in to the Temple, walked over to the bridge and simply turned on his GM tag, which in GW1 is a very visible bright green "GM" label above your character. To this day, I have never seen players exit a game as quickly as that bridge emptied out. No one was actually banned or flagged, of course, but I like to think that moment of panic was enough payment for the easy loot.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

The presearing free-to-loot chests can still drop some interesting items. Joe would have to look at its loot table but they used to drop stuff like,

eerie focus
    swamp clubs
    summit hammers
    serpent axes

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• @Joe Kimmes.1357 said:
    I have no idea about those specific chests, but I would guess based on the underlying system that they were added by designers with good intentions as a prototype or as bonus loot for reaching them, but accidentally went live in a too-generous state.

A story about a similar incident, to make up for not knowing about this one: When the Zaishen Chest was in early development, it accidentally got shipped to the live servers. It had some of its loot sketched in, but the keys weren't implemented - so, it was completely free to open, though you could only use it once per entry to Isle of the Nameless.

You can imagine that once word got out, a stream of players was entering Great Temple of Balthazar and running across the bridge to the Isle. Diligent tester that I am, I was among them - after all, it was important to check how many items the players could get, right? So I took advantage of the free loot for a few minutes while the leads discussed options.

Was that the same time when GMs were freezing people in place? I remember that if people tried to walk into the Isle of the Nameless they got stopped manually by a dev using GM powers. Perhaps before you guys decided to stop IoN from being created?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.