Shiro and his personality — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Shiro and his personality

Kain Francois.4328Kain Francois.4328 Member ✭✭✭

No one but Shiro Tagachi knows what made this sacred imperial bodyguard—the emperor's most trusted servant—turn on his master on the Day of the Jade Wind. Did Shiro plan to sever the unbroken imperial bloodline and crown himself emperor? Was it revenge he sought, for some perceived wrong the emperor had done to Shiro or the Tagachi family? Could Shiro have been seeking some form of power that historians can no longer comprehend?

Whatever his motive, Shiro's act has been literally carved in stone. On the last day of the Harvest Festival, the emperor's favored bodyguard arrived at the Harvest Temple and was waiting when the emperor reached the pinnacle of the temple's tower. Shiro cut down the emperor of Cantha where he knelt on the holy floor, staining it forever with the monarch's blood. Shiro himself was slain only moments later, but his revenge on those who killed him was the most significant event in Canthan history since Kaineng founded the empire

Source: Factions Manuscripts

Shiro is a character I see as one of the most interesting villains in the GW franchise. He was ambitious, and baddass, having defeated the player characters multiple times. His backstory made him a very tragic character. A once loyal guard turned paranoid and mad by the influence of Abaddon, he killed the emperor in what he thought was an act of self-defense, only to be infused with a power much greater than himself, and quickly slain. He strove for a way to revive himself, and actually succeeded, until being killed by the Player character in the final battle, forming an alliance with Abaddon when he was banished to the Realm of Torment.

As a Revenant, when Shiro talks to the player character in GW2, he appears much more calm and diplomatic, like he's fighting a common cause. He says things like "I have returned! To fight by your side!" and he has banter with the player, asking about the current state of Cantha. Shiro also seems fond of teasing the Revenant by saying things like "The empire feared my great power. Do you?". However, overall, his tone seems a lot more calm.

I like to think of Shiro's partnership with the Revenant as a good ending to his character, repenting for his crimes by lending his power to the heroes of Tyria. Or perhaps Shiro does not care whatsoever about repenting. Perhaps he simply enjoys the thrill of combat.

My questions:

1. Being that it's been 250 years since Shiro was defeated, and his rage appears subsided, what is his personality like now? Does he resemble the "loyal bodyguard" he once was, or is he still evil? Or has his experiences given him a new outlook on life?

2. What does Shiro think of the modern day threat of Elder Dragons?

3. Does Shiro control the Afflicted, or is the Afflicted simply a consequence to his presence? What did Shiro think of the Afflicted? Was he repulsed by their appearance?

Tagged:

Comments

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

I always found the flip side of the coin interesting,
    Was the emporer plotting to kill shiro that day?

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Kain Francois.4328Kain Francois.4328 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018

@Justine.6351 said:

No.

The Emperor loved Shiro, and deemed him his most trusted guard. For the first time in the empire's history, the emperor invited their guard to accompany them inside the Harvest Temple.

Shiro was tricked by one of Abaddon's followers, the Fortune Teller, and descended into paranoia.

You can watch the cutscene in all its extremely cheesy 2006 glory:

The emperor was most definitely not trying to kill Shiro. If he were trying to kill him, then the Harvest Ceremony would be the absolute worst time to do it, as evidence by the outcome of the Jade Wind.

Narrative-speaking, it's a shame we never got to see flashbacks of what the Emperor's relationship with Shiro was like prior to the Harvest Ceremony. I think that would have explored an interesting side of the backstory. Which does make me curious for this AMA.

@Joe Kimmes.1357 and ANET:

• What was Shiro's relationship with the Emperor like prior to the Harvest Ceremony and his betrayal?
  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kain Francois.4328 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

No.

The Emperor loved Shiro, and deemed him his most trusted guard. For the first time in the empire's history, the emperor invited their guard to accompany them inside the Harvest Temple.

Shiro was tricked by one of Abaddon's followers, the Fortune Teller, and descended into paranoia.

You can watch the cutscene in all its extremely cheesy 2006 glory:

The emperor was most definitely not trying to kill Shiro. If he were trying to kill him, then the Harvest Ceremony would be the absolute worst time to do it, as evidence by the outcome of the Jade Wind.

Narrative-speaking, it's a shame we never got to see flashbacks of what the Emperor's relationship with Shiro was like prior to the Harvest Ceremony. I think that would have explored an interesting side of the backstory. Which does make me curious for this AMA.

@Joe Kimmes.1357 and ANET:

• What was Shiro's relationship with the Emperor like prior to the Harvest Ceremony and his betrayal?

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Harvest_Ceremony

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.