Soo.. Kuunavang... — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Soo.. Kuunavang...

We learned that Glint was Kralkatorrik's Scion, and I saw someone from ANet mention that Kuunavang was a dragon, but not an Elder Dragon. So, my "theory" (if you could call it that) is that Kuunavang was the unknown deep sea dragon's Scion/dragon champion. Just a thought. :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Ithilwen.1529Ithilwen.1529 Member ✭✭✭✭

That makes some sense, given that She lives in the Jade Sea... not a bad idea.

Mesmerizing Girl

• Gaile Gray.6029Gaile Gray.6029 Member ✭✭✭✭

Huh! I never thought about the lineage of Kuunie, but that's an interesting theory!

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Vash.2386Vash.2386 Member ✭✭✭

I miss my Kuunie everlasting tonic and Kuunie mini. I spent a lot of time on the Jade Sea doing the Harvest Temple mission, and miss him dearly. I'd love to see him come back in all his glorious colours.

• Samug.6512Samug.6512 Member ✭✭✭

@PeterFries.1057 said:
    We'll just have to wait and see what gets revealed about S— I mean, the deep sea dragon…

Steve, yes. Its name is wide-known by the community, no need to be secretive.

[NUKE]

• JackassTheX.6351JackassTheX.6351 Member ✭✭✭

I have a slight feeling you guys might plop us in deep waters for the next major piece of content, since you've so gallantly implemented ample underwater changes... =)

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018

@JackassTheX.6351 said:
    We learned that Glint was Kralkatorrik's Scion, and I saw someone from ANet mention that Kuunavang was a dragon, but not an Elder Dragon. So, my "theory" (if you could call it that) is that Kuunavang was the unknown deep sea dragon's Scion/dragon champion. Just a thought. :)

There were other dragons not connected to Elder Dragons though. In GW1 for example there was quite a number of undead dragons roaming around, that didn't seem to be connected to Zhaitan in any way (and we know that servants of other dragons can't become undead), with Rotscale as the most known representative.

So, it seems that the dragon minions we know were a result of corruption of some ancient dragon race (or races), not a creation by EDs. Which of course mean, that Kuunavang doesn't need to be connected to elder dragons in any way. (besides, Kuunie seems to be much closer to saltspray dragons, for example, than to Glint)

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• @PeterFries.1057 said:
    We'll just have to wait and see what gets revealed about S— I mean, the deep sea dragon…

Shiny confirmed deep sea dragon with some kind of grandfather paradox concerning Kuunavang

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PeterFries.1057 said:

Not sure if I can take this seriously, or as your Drooburt side of sinisterness.

Though the OP's question makes me wonder something:

During early GW2 promotions, Rotscale, Glint, and Kuunavang were put on par to each other and compared as similar beings. With Glint's origins revealed, it was never clarified whether or not this remained true...

Heck, makes me curious about the origin of the Orrian Bone Dragons in general.

• FlipSide.4765FlipSide.4765 Member ✭✭

@Samug.6512 said:

@PeterFries.1057 said:

Steve, yes. Its name is wide-known by the community, no need to be secretive.

You mean Sir Steven McBubbles Esq.

• Tolakram.5809Tolakram.5809 Member ✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@PeterFries.1057 said:

Not sure if I can take this seriously, or as your Drooburt side of sinisterness.

During early GW2 promotions, Rotscale, Glint, and Kuunavang were put on par to each other and compared as similar beings. With Glint's origins revealed, it was never clarified whether or not this remained true...

You might be able to turn that around actually. Glint could be the odd one out here, which might indicate that they were formerly a normal dragon, but then corrupted by Kralk, leading to the appearance we know of. I think that would pair well with the idea that Zhaitan's dragons are corrupted versions of otherwise normal dragons that had died in times past. Thus, all dragons in this universe are normal dragons excluding the very obvious elder dragons, until corrupted.

• reapex.8546reapex.8546 Member ✭✭✭

@Tolakram.5809 said:

@PeterFries.1057 said:

Thus, all dragons in this universe are normal dragons excluding the very obvious elder dragons, until corrupted.

Then that would bring up the question, who corrupted the Elder Dragons to begin with or were they always corrupted?

• Tolakram.5809Tolakram.5809 Member ✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

@reapex.8546 said:

@Tolakram.5809 said:

@PeterFries.1057 said:

Thus, all dragons in this universe are normal dragons excluding the very obvious elder dragons, until corrupted.

Then that would bring up the question, who corrupted the Elder Dragons to begin with or were they always corrupted?

I guess that is a challenge, since it would seem odd that you have a handful of clearly corrupted dragons, but every other dragon is seemingly "normal."

What I think might be important here is that the elder dragons must have had an origin. The cycle can't go back infinitely into the past. This would imply that the elder dragons we know of could have been normal dragons at some point in the past, before somehow becoming the elder dragons.

I think the in-game lore might support this a little bit as well. The bloodstone explosion indicated to us that consuming too much raw magic would drive you insane with a lust for more magic. This is then contrasted with how the gods collect immense amounts of magic, but still have coherent thoughts and intentions that are seemingly exempt from the previously mentioned drive for power.

If I had to guess as to how the elder dragons started, I would think they're probably exactly what we saw with the bloodstones, where a small handful of entities that didn't have whatever tools the gods use to control their power gathered so much magic that it drove them to insanity, where their only drive became to consume as much magic as possible. Not only does that neatly explain their origin and behavior, it also gives pretty good precedent to think that they were among a lot of creatures like themselves, explaining other dragons, and putting them among them as some of the same creatures.

• reapex.8546reapex.8546 Member ✭✭✭

@Tolakram.5809 said:

@reapex.8546 said:

@Tolakram.5809 said:

@PeterFries.1057 said:

I guess that is a challenge, since it would seem odd that you have a handful of clearly corrupted dragons, but every other dragon is seemingly "normal."

What I think might be important here is that the elder dragons must have had an origin. The cycle can't go back infinitely into the past. This would imply that the elder dragons we know of could have been normal dragons at some point in the past, before somehow becoming the elder dragons.

I think the in-game lore might support this a little bit as well. The bloodstone explosion indicated to us that consuming too much raw magic would drive you insane with a lust for more magic. This is then contrasted with how the gods collect immense amounts of magic, but still have coherent thoughts and intentions that are seemingly exempt from the previously mentioned drive for power.

If I had to guess as to how the elder dragons started, I would think they're probably exactly what we saw with the bloodstones, where a small handful of entities that didn't have whatever tools the gods use to control their power gathered so much magic that it drove them to insanity, where their only drive became to consume as much magic as possible. Not only does that neatly explain their origin and behavior, it also gives pretty good precedent to think that they were among a lot of creatures like themselves, explaining other dragons, and putting them among them as some of the same creatures.

To me, I think it would be a pretty clear solution for the current Elder Dragons. Like we can't destroy them but we can "uncorrupt" them that would be great. The alternative is just putting back to sleep again. Then have the races build a machine that when the elder dragons start stirring the device would put them back to sleep again. But then we'll need a Scarlet like villain to destroy the machines, having the cycle begin anew again (GW3 lol). But yeah, if we find out the Elder Dragons were normal...hopefully the true villain(s) of GW2 will surface. However, if magic is indeed what corrupted the Elder Dragons. We'll either have to leave Tyria or find alternative food source for them. I can see Taimi, Zoljja, and Kudu's niece finding a solution to counter Bloodstone magic with Ley-energy or a different solution.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.