Primordus, the primordial shape shifter — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Primordus, the primordial shape shifter

In GW1 Primordus was designed around a very hawk-like appearance.
But once encountered in gw2, we find that Primordus looks more like a sluggish living volcano.

I'm curious behind the reasoning of this change, both how the teams decided his new appearance would be better, and how in lore this shape shift can be explained

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
..jormag? Who's that?

Comments

• lmarc.3685lmarc.3685 Member
    edited May 24, 2018

It is stated that elder dragons grow as they collect more magic and get more power, it has sense. I would like to see an official response from a dev too

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lmarc.3685 said:
    It is stated that elder dragons grow as they collect more magic and get more power, it has sense. I would like to see an official response from a dev too

there is some variation on this.
    For example, Mordremoth is mostly a 'spirit' in the sense of the word, and probably depending on his magic reserve he can create a body of whatever form he likes. He was mind in the 'Mouth of Mordremoth', and all plants throughout the jungle connected to him.

other dragons like Zhaitan appear to have a bit more of a 'fixed' body. it's the corpse of a dragon, maybe his own body, maybe one put together from many dead dragons.
    I have not seen Jormag, but I speculate he has a core to which he can add and shape any amount of ice to give himself a body of his own design. Nonsensical, but I can picture Jormag even taking the form of the small, frail human body.
    And probably the same for Primordus, a core encased by molten earth, free to shape it as he sees fits.

But we need some kind of confirmation to what extend elder dragons can shape/reform their bodies. I can image they might not have a choice in growing as they devourer more magic, in order to contain it. Nor should a literal force of nature want to contain itself to a small body, either.

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• i watched a lot of Gw1 video and i thought were gonna get this big spikey destoryer uncurling and rising out of the ground. though i do like the crocodile design though

• Invidia.9074Invidia.9074 Member ✭✭

If I recall correctly one of the developers answers regarding Mordremoth from previous Forum Chat was that Mordremoth had a normal draconic body at it's origin, but as he absorbed magic through millenia, he began growing offshoots and spreading, ultimately creating/merging into what is called the Maguuma Jungle. I believe the case may be the same with Primordus - as he stays deep underground (and I mean really deep, he travelled UNDER the seafloor of the Unending Ocean), his body probably absorbs/crystallizes surrounding rocks and minerals - I think of a process somewhat similar to fossilization maybe in nature even, thus what we have seen in GW1 was his "lesser" form, after he radiated most of his magic and lost the protective coating of rock and lava.

Or you can just go with suspension of disbelief due to engine limits in GW1 at that time and no actual concept for Elder Dragons then (just as I believe there was no visual concept of Primordus in GW2 until he became relevant to the story). I'd actually love to hear some day about that, as a gamedev worker in QA I'm interested from a professional point of view.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.