Why was Utopia cancelled? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why was Utopia cancelled?

Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

According to wiki and other yummy sources, this 4th campaign was not far away from seeing the finish line, but why did you decided to cancelled the campagin?
Was there any reasonable decision to cancel it? Time, money-problem?
Couldn't you have finished it off, making GW living a year or two (or longer) more and upon of that releasing EotN expansion?

Or was most of you too eager to create a new GW-MMO game era? :P

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

Tagged:

Comments

• I believe that Utopia was quite a ways from being completed when the decision was made to move to a whole new game. I know the reasoning for the change from a new XP to a new game was stated in the May 2007 cover article in PC Gaming, which you might be able to find online. In a nutshell, as I remember it, the development team wanted to make a game that expanded on the concept of MMO gaming, that had features that were not possible in Guild Wars, and a multitude of other reasons. That's a very casual recollection, though, and If I can find those quotes, I'll share them.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• It was for 2 main reasons if I recall correctly. They had started a business model that they felt they couldn't sustain any longer and retain the same quality, that model being the one that saw a whole new campaign launch every single year. That, combined with what Gaile said about wanting to do things with the franchise that were not possible in Guild Wars led them to the decision to just make a whole new game. Personall, I'm pretty sure they just REALLY wanted to jump.

• Gabi.6985Gabi.6985 Member
    edited May 24, 2018

I believe it was too difficult for them to balance the thousand skills they created, unfortunately.
    This is just sad the game is in maintenence mode, because there is NO game like guildwars, if there were a game with this gameplay I would happily switch, but as the things are you always go back to GW
    For others game like pubg, you can jump on another game with same gameplay, same with mobas they are thousand games like that
    but no gw :(

• Just to reinforce what Gaile said, very little of Utopia ever existed outside of paper design and a small number of art assets that got used in Eye of the North.

• Elva.6372Elva.6372 Member ✭✭✭

Utopia was canceled because the Guild Wars engine didn't support jumping., thus a new game had to be developed.

Remembrance, fallen from heaven, and madness risen from hell...

• Gabi.6985Gabi.6985 Member

Known fact that the possibility to Jump can sell games on its own...

• @Gabi.6985 said:

You made me smile with that one, Gabi. :)

Gaile Gray

• Lahmia.2193Lahmia.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gabi.6985 said:

gw1 had /jump

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."

• @Lahmia.2193 said:

@Gabi.6985 said:

gw1 had /jump

Aye, it did. And much we used it when Mad King Thorn issued his imperious commands! ;)

Gaile Gray

• lets be honest. utopia deserved a better engine of today :D

• Red Haired Savage.5430Red Haired Savage.5430 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    I believe that Utopia was quite a ways from being completed when the decision was made to move to a whole new game. I know the reasoning for the change from a new XP to a new game was stated in the May 2007 cover article in PC Gaming, which you might be able to find online. In a nutshell, as I remember it, the development team wanted to make a game that expanded on the concept of MMO gaming, that had features that were not possible in Guild Wars, and a multitude of other reasons. That's a very casual recollection, though, and If I can find those quotes, I'll share them.

Wasn't that when we got our "pet" mini Asura too?

#nornmodeisbestmode

• jaguar.5283jaguar.5283 Member ✭✭

This is the second time I've heard of utopia. That's really cool.
    So ArenaNet had planned 2 new classes for this expansion? Chronomancer, and summoner?
    In the other post i read yesterday in this forum about utopia, it seemed summoner was planned for gw2, and mention was made comparing the class to necromancer, and i felt like it was something similar to ritualist. Just curious about the design for these classes. Is there any information available about designs for skills for these classes? Ideally a full skill list with skill descriptions haha, but I'm sure those are gone or not available.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.