What is your favorite skill in Guild Wars? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What is your favorite skill in Guild Wars?

If you had to choose one skill that you liked the most in GW1 what would it be?
Mine is Edge of Extinction even after the nerf. I fell in love with the skill during Fort Aspenwood as a Luxon when monks on the Kurzick side would keep bonding the gate keepers and Gunther. I used it a few times in HoH to counter Air Spike and IWAY but always loved the skill in Factions the most.

Tagged:

Comments

• Diversion or Distracting Shot. This was the very first game I had played (whether digital or physical) that had a deny mechanic. The fact that you could predict or react on an opponent and completely shutdown an entire skill was mind-blowing to me.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018

This has to be Searing Flames for me. The cornerstone of my Elementalist nuker builds for so many years and one of my most dreaded skills to encounter against me in a boss fight. It could easily wipe my hero/hench party in seconds.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• JackassTheX.6351JackassTheX.6351 Member ✭✭✭

@JerekLo.5893 said:
    Protective Spirit, you know why.

I second that.

I also add my own: Spiteful Spirit. The very idea of punishing an enemy for being aggressive is amazing to me.

• My favorite skill is Wild Throw...obviously.

• Redfeather.6401Redfeather.6401 Member ✭✭✭

I give a big hug to any Arenanet Dev who answers Signet of Illusions. :3

Click on your name up top. Click the little icon with the down arrow for preferences. Click Signature Settings to the right.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

I had a craze for Illusionary Weaponry. Unfortunately that craze died when hardmode came around and every instance had aquired enchantment removal. Ineptitude is now my fav. Illusion Magic is a very good line despite Domination Magic having always been more popular.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Broad Head Arrow.
    Anytime we were struggling with a boss or a caster mobtype - back to outpost and respec to my BHA build just Shut. That. Down.

• Pain Inverter was a winner.

• Probably infuse health.
    Playing infuse monk against spike in guild wars or adh was a big rush and a lot of fun.

Honorable mentions:
    Spiteful Spirit
    Migraine
    Arcane echo
    Empathy
    And many more.
    I miss my GW time.

• Boro.7359Boro.7359 Member ✭✭

Frenzy and sprint
    Ether Prodigy.

It exemplifies everything good about the first game that the sequel so sorely lacks. Deep and mechanically meaningful deck building. Frenzy is the best warrior IAS, Sprint is both an IMS and a cancel stance, while Ether Prodigy just supercharged the elementalist no matter what they were doing, and the three were all staple GvG skills back when the GW pvp scene was still strong

• Kevjoe.6172Kevjoe.6172 Member ✭✭

Mending. You know why - my main was a warrior and yes, I did play as a whammo for a while.
    Next to that, my most favorite skill would probably be Dragon Slash.

• @Brandon.8294 said:
    JESUS BEAM

Wish that would not of changed for GW2. I had an Eight man team of ROJ that killed a lot on enemies.

• Crey.5263Crey.5263 Member ✭✭

Shield of Absorption and Aura of the Lich

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

Diversion!

I never used Edge of Extinction in GW1, but I'll give it an honourable mention as something I wish we had in GW2.

• edited May 24, 2018

Poison Arrow. Or Burning Arrow. I love turning people green and then burning them to dea... I mean, they seem very effective skills! :D Usually choose Apply Poison and Burning Arrow, but I rather liked Barrage, too, and of course, for me, Charm Animal is critical, since I always travel with a pet and always am looking for more.

Editing again: Apply Poison, Ignite Arrows, Barrage was nice.
    Edited yet again: I always liked "We Heal as One" just because it made me feel good about taking care of my pet. I was tickled to see that one in Guild Wars 2. :)

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Gaile, there was no skill called Fire Arrow in guild wars. And both skills that inflicted burning were elites. As was poison arrow which was sadly utter garbage. Compared to Apply Poison at least.

• @Boro.7359 said:
    Gaile, there was no skill called Fire Arrow in guild wars. And both skills that inflicted burning were elites. As was poison arrow which was sadly utter garbage. Compared to Apply Poison at least.

Yes, and I called them what I called them in my head, not their formal names. See my edited version above.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

snip- Oh shoot this is about gw1. I reposted in the wrong gamerhood >.>

Ranger main before it was viable.
    Fort Aspenwood.

That's fine, XD also kudos for Burning Arrow/Apply poison, because that was a decent combination for a long time after coming out, so much that it got nerfed and split into regular and (pvp) versions.

• Fevered Dreams or Pious Renewal. You could build an entire team around Fevered Dreams, and Pious Renewal was just an awesome skill for dervishes.

• Benkorah.6048Benkorah.6048 Member ✭✭

It's a tough choice, but as someone whose main was a monk, I'd have to go with the aptly named Reversal of Fortune: there's something about turning a deathblow from a meteor into a huge heal. The preferred elite skill for Protection/Divine Favor builds may have changed once or twice, but the bread and butter skill stayed pretty much the same.

• Ra Ra.9423Ra Ra.9423 Member ✭✭

Technobabble was a constant on my bar. Love me some daze to make it easy to interrupt those nasty foe skills.

Admitted Alt-aholic
    Darkhaven, Asuran Gaters[ZPM]

• alcopaul.2156alcopaul.2156 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

triple mending.

you can do it with this way, iirc.

echo->arcane echo->mending->arcane echo[echo] ->mending

Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@JerekLo.5893 said:
    Protective Spirit, you know why.

:+1: Would be my no.1 choice, too.

• Warcry.1596Warcry.1596 Member ✭✭

Glimmer of Light. All i would use in high end PvE when healing :)

"He shall make whole that which was torn asunder,
    Restore that which was lost, and all shall be as one."

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

surprised no dev said BAMPH!

@Benkorah.6048 said:
    It's a tough choice, but as someone whose main was a monk, I'd have to go with the aptly named Reversal of Fortune: there's something about turning a deathblow from a meteor into a huge heal. The preferred elite skill for Protection/Divine Favor builds may have changed once or twice, but the bread and butter skill stayed pretty much the same.

In fact, boonprot and ZB monks are still very strong.

• Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

Mine as a Ranger main back in GW1 was as R/Rit Splinter Weapon, paired together with Barrage.

Man I miss those massive damage bursts for that I was always liked to have in a group, nuking with this skill combo large enemy groups down in no time and everyone buffs you up in the group, just to make your barrages even far more deadlier xD Good old times.

Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.

• rank eleven monk.9502rank eleven monk.9502 Member ✭✭✭✭

So many unique skills we had.

I have to say Diversion was the best out of those. Power Block was also fun, so great we still have it, although the whole interrupt mechanic in GW2 is worse than in GW1 (no cast bars, for example)

As a regular pvp monk Infuse Health, Reversal of Fortune were amazing. Also Distracting Shot, you could single handedly win games with this (like Diversion)

• Power Block. Blackout.
    Also, Arcane Langour, mostly because of encountering Crystal haze against Glint and finally being able to bring that down on the enemy. SUFFER! ... ahem. Sorry.

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

Contagion

Such a unique skill, the whole "I'll screw myself over but you'll suffer even more" angle to some necro skills in general was just amazing.

Played bomber in JQ with that and occasionally contagion spike in HA - the latter was especially hilarious, your team basically had 20 seconds to pull off the spike, utterly annihilating the enemy team or else it's a teamwipe for you.

• Red Haired Savage.5430Red Haired Savage.5430 Member ✭✭✭✭

You move like a Dwarf! I still yell it at Asurans today.

#nornmodeisbestmode

• Agrios.1957Agrios.1957 Member ✭✭

My Top 3:

• Spiteful Spirit - nothing more joyful than seeing those mindless mobs killing themselves. Lots of big numbers popping.
    • Pain Inverter - The ultimate boss killer after the nerf of grenth's balance
    • Any skill that applies Deep Wound (like Finish Him or Gash)

Honorable mention

• Gladiator's defense - for the ol' good times of griffon farming.
  • Ebon Dust Aura + Armor of Sanctity. Keep at least one condition on your enemies at all times with those skills and do extra damage with an Ebon scythe, plus you’re extra tough to damage. Add Veil of Thorns for extra protection from casters and you’re good to go.

Honorable mention for Spoil Victor, core of my 55 necro hydra farming build.

• Benkorah.6048Benkorah.6048 Member ✭✭

@Boro.7359 said:

@Benkorah.6048 said:

In fact, boonprot and ZB monks are still very strong.

I'd completely forgotten about ZB... It's been awhile since I played GW1. It's nice to hear that boonprot is still going strong.

• Hemo.6145Hemo.6145 Member
    edited May 25, 2018

For me its easily Bull's strike. This skill possesses huge potential when its on a skill bar of a decent player, and im talking about pvp on this subject. This skill also is the backbone of every decent warrior build in pvp.

• Tolakram.5809Tolakram.5809 Member ✭✭

Vow of Strength takes it for me. The AoE melee damage is simply so satisfying, especially when paired with sand shards and the several other AoE attacks Dervish has access to.

• Smiters Boon ;)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.