Questions & nostalgic requests — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Questions & nostalgic requests

Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have fond memories of GW1, which I played from beginning (2005) to end (i.e., all expansions). However, as it is with memories of the past, I cannot recall every detail, so I went through my tons of old screenshots -- and the three most urgent questions/request that arose are:
´

1. Why did we have so many great looking, non-trenchcoaty armor designs available for rangers in GW1, but have none in GW2?
´

2. Why did characters talk normally (i.e., in beautiful, full sentences) in GW1, but now talk like contemporary American highschool kids in GW2?
´

3. Things I would love to see make a comeback:

Weapon skins:
* Celestial weapon set <3, Undead weapon set
* Glacial Blade <3, Emerald Blade <3, Highlander Blade, Jade Sword, Vampiric Dragon Sword, Katana
* Kepkhet’s Refuge <3, Aureate Staff <3, Portal Staff, Protective Staff, Ghostly Staff, Charr Staff, Togo’s Staff
* Holy Rod <3, Canes (1, 2)
* Diamond Focus, Rose Focus
* Tower Shield <3, Ascalon Aegis <3, Exalted Aegis <3, Scarabshell Aegis <3, Sun and Moon Shield, Enameled Shield
* Dwarven Axe <3, Runic Axe, Serpentine Reaver
* Feathered Bow, Jade/Azure Bow
* Ceremonial Dagger <3, Brass Knuckles
* Bludgeoner, Wingcrest Maul

Miscellaneous:
* being able to save/load build templates (! <3)
* Mini Oink (he was soooo cute!), Mini Freezie the Snowman, Mini Black Moa Chick
* Guild Capes (!)
* non-transformed Dwarves, Tengu
* Monks (! <3)

Tagged:

Comments

• Ithilwen.1529Ithilwen.1529 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would be over-the-moon to see Monks make a comeback in GW2. The mini black Moa Chick is available as Legacy reward.

Mesmerizing Girl

1. I play Ranger. There's a common meme in our community that "all ranger armor has a trenchcoat" But I know that's simply not true. Yep, there are some that do, but there are quire a lot that do not. See this page for examples of both.
    2. I don't hear a significant difference in presentation. Actually, I feel the audio experience in the games is different, but as for speech patterns, I'm going to go listen to see if I perceive of a shift.
    3. I believe you're talking about making a comeback through implementation in GW2, right? If that's the case, it would be great if you could present these in a separate thread, a "wish list" if you will. That could garner other player's thoughts, and would be a cool thread for me to point out to the team members who make decisions about future Gem Store offerings.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ithilwen.1529 said:
    I would be over-the-moon to see Monks make a comeback in GW2. The mini black Moa Chick is available as Legacy reward.

Unfortunately, there is no Legacy reward (not sure what a Legacy reward is, to be honest) Mini Black Moa Chick. I wish there was some way, any way, to acquire this Mini-pet. 'Twas my favorite in Guild Wars.

edited May 23, 2018

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

Unfortunately, there is no Legacy reward (not sure what a Legacy reward is, to be honest) Mini Black Moa Chick. I wish there was some way, any way, to acquire this Mini-pet. 'Twas my favorite in Guild Wars.

Legacy rewards are rewards you get based on your (linked) GW1 account. You can visit the now ruined Hall of Monuments and claim these rewards in GW2. Go to Lion's Arch and the underground area in the Northwest. You can get a "portal stone" that will take you to HoM.

If your GW1 account is linked to your GW2.. you can claim rewards. The Moa Chick is one of them. see this link to see what's available to you: (https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome "https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome")

-edit- I was wrong.. the Orrian chicken miniature is available.. and the black moa pet for rangers.

Mesmerizing Girl

• DirtyDan.4759DirtyDan.4759 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

1. [...] That could garner other player's thoughts, and would be a cool thread for me to point out to the team members who make decisions about future Gem Store offerings.

What about ingame rewards?

• @DirtyDan.4759 said:
    @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

1. [...] That could garner other player's thoughts, and would be a cool thread for me to point out to the team members who make decisions about future Gem Store offerings.

What about ingame rewards?

In Guild Wars 2? If someone creates a "wish list" sort of thread, I'm sure that folks will look at it from all perspectives.

Gaile Gray

• Regarding the language, I remember there was a blog post pre-release (back in like 2010 or something) where ANet talked about changing the "common" language of the game to be more like "normal" speech rather than old-timey fantasy speech like in GW1. Seeing how the old ANet blog and all those pre-release posts are dead I don't think I can find the exact source, but I distinctly remember reading it. Maybe some dev can confirm that for me.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

Legacy rewards are rewards you get based on your (linked) GW1 account. You can visit the now ruined Hall of Monuments and claim these rewards in GW2. Go to Lion's Arch and the underground area in the Northwest. You can get a "portal stone" that will take you to HoM.

If your GW1 account is linked to your GW2.. you can claim rewards. The Moa Chick is one of them. see this link to see what's available to you: (https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome "https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome")

-edit- I was wrong.. the Orrian chicken miniature is available.. and the black moa pet for rangers.

Indeed.
    I have, and have had since launch, all Hall of Monuments Rewards. No Black Moa Chick.

• Here's how I look at it in a lore friendly standpoint on the voices: 250 years is a looooong time. You'd probably barely be able to understand someone from the 1700's, and they'd barely be able to understand you. In English, we went from long poetic sentences to "On fleek" and "Bae," and probably some new ones I haven't heard yet lol And that's just about 230ish years.

• @MatthewMedina.5419 said:
    Yes - there was a concerted effort to remove the strained high-fantasy speech and inflections that were common in Guild Wars for something more colloquial and modern in Guild Wars 2.

That's so interesting! I didn't realize that, and it's a neat tidbit to know.

Gaile Gray

edited May 24, 2018

I find the voices and general tone of the characters in GW1 more "heroic." I'd like to see things swing back in that direction. As an example, that Iconic scene when Gwen knocks down Pyre Fierceshot and tells him off. You'd never see something like that in GW2.

Mesmerizing Girl

• Ashabhi.1365Ashabhi.1365 Member ✭✭✭

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

Indeed.
    I have, and have had since launch, all Hall of Monuments Rewards. No Black Moa Chick.

Correct... but aside from the Aesthetics, the best thing about the Black Moa Chick was that it was a cross-chapter epic quest. There were steps in each chapter, and it wasn't something that you could buy your way into. The closest thing we have to something like that now is the quest for the Griffon. I would love to see the moa chick brought back... maybe an epic (but relatively cheap and easy) quest to get it.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    1. I play Ranger. There's a common meme in our community that "all ranger armor has a trenchcoat" But I know that's simply not true.

I didn't say "all", did I? Also, the ones available in GW1 were much better looking (and better suited for a ranger) in general.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    That's so interesting! I didn't realize that

How can one not realize that? It's all over the place and (unfortunately) hard to miss - it is an obvious "Coolness in your face!" attempt that failed, because it ruins the game to some extent. :/

@MatthewMedina.5419 said:
    Yes - there was a concerted effort to remove the strained high-fantasy speech and inflections that were common in Guild Wars for something more colloquial and modern in Guild Wars 2.

Awful, awful decision. :-1: Language is important, and you ruin the game's atmosphere by making it sound like some Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles episode. This is a beautiful fantasy world, not a contemporary cartoon program for kids and young teens. Literary language is already being neglected a lot these days, why support that trend?

At least, make them full sentences again and stop using awful contractions and leaving out pronouns etc.

@Goldfox.5729 said:
    I'm sad you guys went this direction. I really can't connect emotionally to any of the characters when they sound like modern teenagers. If I wanted that I'd go watch MTV... but in a fantasy world there should be some heroism and class to the characters.

Exactly! <3

@Ithilwen.1529 said:
    I find the voices and general tone of the characters in GW1 more "heroic." I'd like to see things swing back in that direction. As an example, that Iconic scene when Gwen knocks down Pyre Fierceshot and tells him off. You'd never see something like that in GW2.

:+1: <3 <3 <3

P.S.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:
    The mini black Moa Chick is available as Legacy reward.

Nope, the regular Black Moa is. ;)

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like the change in language. People are just totally used to the heroic speech patterns of high fantasy. And it surely shouldn't be.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    I like the change in language. People are just totally used to the heroic speech patterns of high fantasy. And it surely shouldn't be.

"Heroic speech pattern" isn't the point here. Syntax, grammar and pronunciation are. You can sound more "contemporary" without sounding too "colloquial", like an illiterate simpleton (unfortunately, that is what GW2 dialogue sounds these days, at least the PC and most of their companions).

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    Awful, awful decision. :-1: Language is important, and you ruin the game's atmosphere by making it sound like some Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles episode. This is a beautiful fantasy world, not a contemporary cartoon program for kids and young teens. Literary language is already being neglected a lot these days, why support that trend?

At least, make them full sentences again and stop using awful contractions and leaving out pronouns etc.

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

"Heroic speech pattern" isn't the point here. Syntax, grammar and pronunciation are. You can sound more "contemporary" without sounding too "colloquial", like an illiterate simpleton (unfortunately, that is what GW2 dialogue sounds these days, at least the PC and most of their companions).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Okay, I see. As long as you mean short names like 'Jory' I know what you mean. It's something what I hated (besides other things) in Star Wars Episode I-III calling Anakin 'Annie'. Horrible.

• Boro.7359Boro.7359 Member ✭✭

I have to agree with OP on how guild wars 2 felt tonally alien in respect of speech.

This alienation began in gw beyond though.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.