Sunken Chest Bug [MERGED]

Guest [Deleted User]

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is a bug apparently. As with other folks who posted above, I finished my 2nd round of Master Diver. I was able to open 1 chest yesterday so I'm at 10% of 3rd round. When I went to do the 2nd chest this morning it was closed but somewhere in between the 5th and 8th krait kill, someone looted the chest and remained stuck open on my screen after that . I've checked several other chests and they are all showing an open. Unable to use. Hopefully this will be address or just go away as it seems to be happening to plenty of people.

The night that I completed the second round of master diver (I believe it was last Thursday), I opened two chests: the one in Kessex Hills and the one in Bloodtide Coast. Since then, both chests have been inaccessible to any character on my account. As described by others in this thread, the chests are visible, appear to be opened, and cannot be interacted with.

After doing the daily 10 Krait at a "visible / labeled" sunken chest on first character, I opened the sunken chest. An hour later I found another key and went to open a different chest but the sunken chest in Timberline, Harathi, Lornar were not "labeled", and could not be interacted with. I swapped to my 2nd character and talked to Lion's Arch dive NPC, and was able to see a labeled chest in Bloodtide Coast. Just found another key, and can not see a "labeled" sunken chest in Harathi or Timberline - even after talking to Lions Arch NPC on character 3 or 4. I have completed the Master Diver achievement twice but something is definitely broken now. I logged completely out of game, and took character 4 to Kessex where the sunken chest was "visible and labeled" - opened it and saw Dive Master achievement status change correctly from 4 / 10 to 5 / 10. It feels like I now have to visit the sunken chests in a particular order in order to see them labeled / interactable. Sad . . .

I’m also on my third round, sticking to the order given in the achievement description. The first three in the third round opened for me, now all chests appear as “already open” to me.

Could this be somehow related to how many keys one got as an additional drop? Because in my case it’s exactly 3 keys I got as a drop, and 3 chests I was “allowed” to open in the 3rd round of the achievement... (I know this is unlikely, but you never know) :)

@Dmon.2089 said:Can anyone else with this problem check if the achievement has disappeared from their list?

I never lost the achievement, it just went from 9/10 to 0/10 when I finished it for the seccond time.

To follow up on my earlier post:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:Two full days since I completed Master Diver for the second time. I just tried half the chests, and they're all unavailable. I'm at 0/10 for Master Diver and have 2 keys, both from the daily chest). I don't feel like wasting my time visiting the other 5 right now, but I might later. I used a character that hasn't opened any chests yet, by the way, so whatever is going on, it seems to be account-wide.

I checked the remaining 5, and the five I checked earlier as well. 3 of them were availalable. Coincidentally, I had 3 keys at that point. I didn't open any of them in my first pass because I wanted to see if something would change about the other chest. A little experiment. Here's how it played out:

• I checked all 10 without actually opening any, I had 3 keys on me.
  • Three were available.
  • I went back and opened the available 3.
  • I revisited the other 7 to see if opening the 3 made more of them available. It didn't. All 7 were still unavailable.

Having 3 available while having 3 daily keys might not be a coincidence. Now I wonder if they might have a 10 day cooldown, to force us to cycle through all of them before opening repeat chests. I'll check again in 24 hours to see if I can spot a pattern.

There's a similar discussion taking place on Reddit. There's no consensus about the details and very few doing any sort of testing in the form that @"Manasa Devi.7958" described above. However, a combination theories seems to explain the symptoms, including the idea that there are multiple cooldowns/time-gates involved:

• The 10-day cycle, in which we can only open each chest once until Dive Master is completed.
  • A further 3-7 day cool off for each chest, in which any specific chest cannot be opened.
  • Possible other forms for "diminished returns", such as character limitations or 'flooding', i.e. attempting to open a chest without a key or too many times per cycle increases the length of the cooldown.
  • Some people not realizing that there's a channeling time now for opening the chest (generally, there are plenty of things that will interrupt it).
  • Misleading animation, e.g. whether the chest "looks open" might be unrelated.

All of the above could be true and it could also be bugged. But if it's bugged, it's inconsistent: not everyone seems to be affected.

Day 3 of all sunken chests being non-functional/non-interactable for me. This is after having opened each chest exactly once since the 22 May patch, where the cast time was added to the opening of the chests. I have visited all of the chests each of these 3 days just to be sure. I have screenshots for each non-functional chest if it somehow wanted.

@Savanna.7416 said:I'm going to keep getting the keys and then hopefully, open all the chests in one go as none are appearing for me at the moment.agreed, I have the issue as well. Chest appears open instead of glowing in the seam. I did find another chest on my list that was not stuck.

@Anet - Hopefully, it's a bug that will be fixed .. otherwise, please comment if we don't fully understand the process.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Manasa Devi.7958" said:Today, 2 chests are available for me that weren't available yesterday. I wish I remembered the order I opened them in the previous achievement cycle.

Still, that's helpful, in that it at least suggests an additional per-chest cooldown, as some are theorizing.

For the first time I am happy my pedantic "start at the top of the list in the achievement, work your way down" strategy has an actual pay-off. :)

This extra chest cooldown does not seem to make much sense. All it does is add confusion about which chests are or are not lootable on any given day and limit the value of dropped keys since they do not count for much once you hit the cooldown on all chests.That said, it could be how it works. I habitually work my lists from top to bottom and am curently at 6/10 on my second round. Timberline Falls and Mount Maelstrom (and the 6 chests done in this round naturally) are on cooldown.

I had to go to 4 different areas in order to find a chest to open. Its getting to be a nightly thing. Keep way pointing around the world to find a chest that has reset.Lormars, Timberline, Mount Maelstrom were not reset but Frostgorge was. This is getting to be a pain.