Open World Duel option - Yay / Nay / Who cares ? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Open World Duel option - Yay / Nay / Who cares ?

Sazukikrah.5036Sazukikrah.5036 Member ✭✭✭

I know i will probably get shot down, i have in the past but i still want this idea to be out there. Ofc we know Gw2 to be one of thee best mmorpgs that's stood out from the majority and became it's own genre in a sense. But i still think the Idea of being able to duel a friend in public view or in your favorite map would be cool. I understand it might hurt other game modes, but what if it was just for a week? just to try it out. You can even have friends in party accept if they want to be in a duel if they are in the same party. And not a BIG MENU that POPS up in your FACE like in PVP when you're choosing map / pressing accept. Thoughts?

Open World Duel option - Yay / Nay / Who cares ? 183 votes

Yes, I love dueling and would love to fight in any map any time!
46%
ReaverKane.7598Zephyria.6103Aktium.9506Curunen.8729Devilman.1532MakubeC.3026Kako.1930Axl.8924Sazukikrah.5036Delweyn.1309nicknamenick.2437EremiteAngel.9765Timo.1065Fat Disgrace.4275Abimes.9726TheBravery.9615Whitworth.7259Amaranthe.3578Bazooka.3590Ziggityzog.7389 85 votes
No, this game is it's own unique MMORPG (don't want to be like typical MMORPGs)
19%
WhatLiesBeneath.9018Dante.1763BunjiKugashira.9754GWTiger.5178Inculpatus cedo.9234Randulf.7614Undo.5091Bjorn Wolfen.4752Zaraki.5784Tanner Blackfeather.6509ShiningSquirrel.3751Feanor.2358Tsume.4762Kitty La Boom Boom.4065rank eleven monk.9502eftuk.4936Cyninja.2954hugo.4705Chay.7852Kiza.5630 36 votes
Who cares?
10%
saerni.2584Grimjack.8130Ayrilana.1396FrizzFreston.5290Exedore.6320Elmo Benchwarmer.3025Airdive.2613Slapinator.4196otto.5684Yannir.4132Namless.4028Redponey.8352Eekasqueak.7850Xentinus.6820Kanimae.1735Classic Perception.2507Peutrifectus.4830MightyOne.1742steveraptor.9603 19 votes
This is bad idea , It will stray players from Gameplay modes (I.E WvW / PvP)
12%
Solori.6025Astralporing.1957Linken.6345derd.6413starhunter.6015flog.3485Reverielle.3972Talonblaze.3175Mikezaner.1524Kaspar.3892Daniel.5428Moira Shalaar.5620Myrdreth.6829Wisdom.4712MissCee.1295LockeCole.6125ShadowRy.7531moonboi.1764Matiole.6857Chant.5604 22 votes
Give it shot ? Maybe test it out for 1 week.
11%
ShamRain.4168Warscythes.9307sephiroth.4217Ayakaru.6583Arcaedus.7290Bossun.2046Zushada.6108Brokensunday.4098Rogue Sol.1457ReV.6097Dark Knight.6294wiredrawn.7298Crystal Paladin.3871ChartFish.1308AngelLovesFredrik.6741UfoCoffee.2084milego.4830AlexPlay.8436Soap.5098Kaburro.4712 21 votes
Tagged:
<1345

Comments

• Build OPEN-PVP in game and everybody will play it!

GW2 is such a great game, but the aspect that pvp is only for "pros" is disturbing the experience. If pvp would be open like in "Bless online" , everybody would play it.
    Thank you

• Cyanchiv.2583Cyanchiv.2583 Member ✭✭✭

I do not play other MMOs at the moment. When you say "open PvP" do you mean attacking players in the main world, or duals that players can agree to? You also focus on the idea that in GW2 people think PvP is for pros. How would open PvP help with that mentality?

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

"Build OPEN-PVP in game and everybody will play it!"

Like they would have a choice?

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nah. If unavoidable open world pvp were part of this game, I would not play it. We have wvw, and you don't have to be a pro of any sort to play in spvp.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• If there would have been a "duel" option on every character , it would be enouph i think. What do you think of it?

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

Also, having very briefly looked into it apparently Bless Online's open-world PvP is between factions. You join one of two factions and then you can kill players in the other faction. Adding a system like that to GW2 would require a major re-write of the story and lore since everything in PvE is about all 5 races and their different factions working together against the dragons. They'd have to change a lot to explain why we're suddenly slaughtering each other at every opportunity.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, this game is it's own unique MMORPG (don't want to be like typical MMORPGs)

No, thanks. For me, anyway.

• PyrateSilly.4710PyrateSilly.4710 Member ✭✭✭

At the moment Bless Online is having major problems even having people log into the game so not sure why you think GW2 needs to be like Bless Online. Que's last nite were in the thousands so again not sure why you think GW2 needs to be like that? Besides that there are already places to do PvP, multiple places.

• Torolan.5816Torolan.5816 Member ✭✭✭

To be honest OP, I am pretty sure that open world PvP is the answer to many things like overpopulation or the concentration of players in certain areas. But it surely is not a vital point for many people.

Take DAOC and eve online as exhibits if you want.
    *The PvP server Camlann in DAOC was always a sinkhole with a capital S. It had the lowest population and could not even hold a candle to the Server Dartmoor which was never densely populated.
    *And if that game is too old for your taste, EVE Online. Take a look at the numbers of EVE online and compare them to Star Citizen, a game that is as likely to bomb as it is looking for a spot at the very top. EVE is not dead, but it was always a niche product even in the heydays of MMOS. Still Sci-Fi MMOers are yearning for a game in space that is not actually more of a social experiment and a foray into the darkest corners of human behavior but a real game where extensive grieving is not only allowed but encouraged and grown men who control massive guilds and money flows from that speak on public panels held in the name of the corporation and encouraged people they grieved to kill themselves there. This is what happens when you let people like this run unchecked. Sooner or later, they will give you such a bad press that you are either shy on players and have to change your game model like in the last years of EVE or even force your CEO to come out of the cover and swallow the massive toad of a public apology.
    Of course you can say that people come to Star Citizen because of Wing Commander and Chris Roberts. As true as that may be, how many Millenials know or have even played Wing Commander?

• JDub.1530JDub.1530 Member ✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    They'd have to change a lot to explain why we're suddenly slaughtering each other at every opportunity.

The humans and Charr have a history. Asura used to experiment on Sylvari. Sylvari are mordrem, some of whom turned on the Pact. I'd say it would be rather easy to explain why the individual races might turn on each other.

Still......no to open world PvP. I enjoyed it to a degree in WoW, kinda wanted to see it when GW2 first came out. But, nah, I'm good. Let's keep PvE where it is.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ChosenOnes.9571 said:
    If there would have been a "duel" option on every character , it would be enouph i think. What do you think of it?

If there was a way to disable duel invites so no one could even challenge you then I could tolerate it. That's how it works in my other MMO.

But it's still annoying, because you always get the idiots who decide they don't want to duel without an audience so they do it right on top of the bank, in the middle of all the services in a town or some other place people need to get to. And the constant spam in chat from people begging anyone to duel them, and arguing about the outcome of duels and people who seem to think if you've disabled invites a great way to "invite" you to duel is to follow you around and spam attacks on you.

My personal preference would be that it's restricted to special designated areas like the Bane in the Black Citadel and the various fighting pits dotted around. But then it's exactly like our current PvP system but less convenient because you wouldn't have a button to teleport you there from anywhere in the world.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• Do not want. WvW for the most fun in the game. PvP for the occasional fun match. I go to PVE for its easy play and simple strategies - I do not want PvP mixed into that.

• Zephyr.5382Zephyr.5382 Member ✭✭✭

This again? We already have a similar thread going:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/39433/i-wish-dueling-was-a-thing/p1

• I would be willing to bet that I wouldn't be the only player to openly criticize such a decision and stop playing the game entirely as a result.

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

@Elspereth.1280 said:
    In my opinion mandatory open world pvp would cause the player population to plummet.

I would quit. I have to walk away from my computer often, and I would prefer to not be dead every time I come back from that. Just like with BDO, the population isn't as high as it could be due to mandatory PvP. I would be fine with a few. We zones being OW PvP, but everywhere is too much, and not what I wanted when starting this game.

People don't seem to understand you can't just change the core of the game six years later. I PvP when I want, and not because others want me to. Some people play this game to kick back, and alienating them is bad business.

• aspirine.5839aspirine.5839 Member ✭✭✭

There is a reason open world pvp in the west is not that popular. I would like GW2 to stay like it is, separate pve from pvp.

• Turin.6921Turin.6921 Member ✭✭✭

Not sure about open PvP. \

But dueling would be a nice feature. And they are so many arenas around open world already that they could utilize for that.

• Elothar.4382Elothar.4382 Member ✭✭✭

Not for me, thanks. There will always be things I like and dislike about different MMOs. But open world PVP is a deal breaker for me.

• Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭

You are looking for WvW.

GW2 is better off without PVP in open world PVE.

• SlippyCheeze.5483SlippyCheeze.5483 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PyrateSilly.4710 said:
    At the moment Bless Online is having major problems even having people log into the game so not sure why you think GW2 needs to be like Bless Online.

In fairness to the OP, you could substitute many, many games for Bless in their comment, and it would be equally applicable. For example, WoW has two factions, and open world PvP (on some servers).

It is definitely, IMO, a terrible, no good, very bad, horribly thing to have, but like all the other "seeing another player makes your life worse" decisions in most MMOs, this sort of factional and open world PvP is attractive to some people.

Mostly, in my experience, the people who would also be super-annoyed that GW2 downscales you to the zone level, because open world PvP is all about hanging out in locations where you overpower levelling players, and making them suffer. Nobody wants, or engages in, actual at-level combat in these things. The people begging for open world PvP, just like in any other PvP, want easy wins, not fair fights. They just turn it into another way to cause pain and suffering.

• @ChosenOnes.9571 said:

Build OPEN-PVP in game and everybody will play it!

GW2 is such a great game, but the aspect that pvp is only for "pros" is disturbing the experience. If pvp would be open like in "Bless online" , everybody would play it.
    Thank you

I was talking of the duels in a common sense, not actually the fact that everybody should kill her/himself. A duel option would be fine for me

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

Every MMO that I have played over the last 12-15yrs tried some kind of openworld pvp.. and the areas designated for it became ghost towns of wasted pixels very shortly after they went live.
    Stick to having PvP and WvW in there respective areas I say

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ChosenOnes.9571 said:

Build OPEN-PVP in game and everybody will play it!

Thank you

Everyone whos left would be forced to play it yes you are correct there OP.
    I dont think many would be left tho.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd be fine with duels with the following restrictions:

• "Accept Duel Invites" would be a toggle that players would opt in on (not a toggle players would have to deselect to opt out). If left as opt out, the player would not see invites.
    • Dueling would be disabled within a radius of 1500 from merchants, vendors, banks, TP or from social gathering areas (if such can be ID'd).

This way, those who are not interested can choose not to be bothered. If, as some fear, someone pesters a non-dueler (pesters, as in keeps talking at them, not just asks once), then there is the existing report system (under spam). Heh, ANet could even use a dueling time-out as a consequence for pestering related to duels.

Open-world ganking such as I've seen in many Asian MMO's ported over to the west? In all the time I played such games, I encountered these behaviors.

• Attacked while outnumbered? Check.
    • Attacked while out-leveled? Check. Often, grossly out-leveled.
    • Attacked while still ressing in? Check.
    • Attacked while nearly dead from fighting mobs? Check.
    • Attacked by a player of my approximate level, when I was ready? Never happened, not once.

So, no to open PvP.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• FeralOne.1093FeralOne.1093 Member ✭✭

@Elspereth.1280 said:
    In my opinion mandatory open world pvp would cause the player population to plummet.

Yep. I will not play in a game with open PVP.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Adding my voice to the dissenters. No thanks.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Matiole.6857Matiole.6857 Member ✭✭

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

• "Accept Duel Invites" would be a toggle that players would opt in on (not a toggle players would have to deselect to opt out). If left as opt out, the player would not see invites.
    • Dueling would be disabled within a radius of 1500 from merchants, vendors, banks, TP or from social gathering areas (if such can be ID'd).

This way, those who are not interested can choose not to be bothered. If, as some fear, someone pesters a non-dueler (pesters, as in keeps talking at them, not just asks once), then there is the existing report system (under spam). Heh, ANet could even use a dueling time-out as a consequence for pestering related to duels.

Open-world ganking such as I've seen in many Asian MMO's ported over to the west? In all the time I played such games, I encountered these behaviors.

• Attacked by a player of my approximate level, when I was ready? Never happened, not once.

So, no to open PvP.

Or Anet can just not bother with the hassle of coding all of that, making sure it's bug-free, making sure it doesn't break the game and it functions correctly. Taking devs away from other things they could be working on.

And instead, if two people wanted to duel each other they could use the systems already in place to do that such as finding a custom pvp lobby for dueling or go to their guild halls arena.

• What is this, Eve Online?

"Samnang.1879" said: "dont need to watch anime its not necessary"

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Matiole.6857 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

So, no to open PvP.

Or Anet can just not bother with the hassle of coding all of that, making sure it's bug-free, making sure it doesn't break the game and it functions correctly. Taking devs away from other things they could be working on.

And instead, if two people wanted to duel each other they could use the systems already in place to do that such as finding a custom pvp lobby for dueling or go to their guild halls arena.

That's what I expect will happen. The current options are not convenient (or even viable, tbh) for people who would like to do something beside map chat or costume brawl while waiting for meta events. However, the current options keep dueling out of sight, and thus out of mind for those that have duel-phobia.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

So considering the fact that there are already at least two options available to accomplish dueling I think ... more thinking less typing is in order.

• Donutdude.9582Donutdude.9582 Member ✭✭✭

My opinion: No. Absolutely not.

I've seen what happens to an open-world PvPvE game. It is ruined by players mindlessly ganking PvE players that have no interest in PvP.

If you want open-world style roaming PvP, play WvWvW. It is perfectly suited for this.

My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

• Open world pvp is not going to happen

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

They added dueling to guild so I doubt they’ll add that to PvE maps.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Ashabhi.1365Ashabhi.1365 Member ✭✭✭

Open world PVP translates to over-geared leetspeak wallet warriors sitting by portal nodes waiting for nubs and PvE players who are just trying to do their quests. It's only fun for the griefers.

Keep PvP where it belongs: WvW and the Mists.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

The premise statement is false. As soon as they implement open-world PvP bullkitten, I will stop playing. And I'm not the only one.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭

This can only work if it's isolated from the rest of the non PVPers, I suggest using the Mega Server to make new maps that World PVP Squads would populate, then these maps would have to be redesigned to be more like WvWvW maps in that case.

“The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

@vampirelazarus.9403 said:
    What is this, Eve Online?

I don't see any spread sheets anywhere do you?

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2018

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    This can only work if it's isolated from the rest of the non PVPers, I suggest using the Mega Server to make new maps that World PVP Squads would populate, then these maps would have to be redesigned to be more like WvWvW maps in that case.

And wouldn’t that pull players out of WvW, possibly causing that part of the game to fail?

The whole game would need to be redesigned to handle it. There aren’t enough WvW/pvp players to make it worthwhile.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• sweetrules.8359sweetrules.8359 Member ✭✭✭

As someone who enjoys WvW and PvE, just no. No one except griefers and dedicated pvpers would enjoy that. When I hear a MMO is Open world PvP based, I immediately cross it off the list of games to try at some point. It is a terrible concept. Though dueling in set locations like in the arena in Black Citadel might be nice for roleplaying reasons, it's not worth the effort to code. I would not want Anet to waste time and effort on something only a select few people would ever use.

• @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@vampirelazarus.9403 said:
    What is this, Eve Online?

I don't see any spread sheets anywhere do you?

Don't talk to the raiders :P

"Samnang.1879" said: "dont need to watch anime its not necessary"

• ZNICK.8537ZNICK.8537 Member ✭✭

I'd like to see guilds with the ability to go to war "everywhere" with rival guilds... or join an alliance that can do the same.

Something would need to be built in so ppl couldn't swap guilds and kill someone then swap back, but that would be fun.

Z

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

And wouldn’t that pull players out of WvW, possibly causing that part of the game to fail?

The whole game would need to be redesigned to handle it. There aren’t enough WvW/pvp players to make it worthwhile.

Hasn't it already failed, that's why they're getting rid of servers and making it Guild vs Guild to revitalize it?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.