Sunken Chest Bug [MERGED] — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Sunken Chest Bug [MERGED]

Kunzaito.8169Kunzaito.8169 Member ✭✭✭
edited June 4, 2018 in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

I finished Master Diver the second time through yesterday. Today, with a fresh key in hand and 0/10 on Master Diver, none of the chests are interactable (i.e. they display as open, no interact prompt at all).

Tagged:
<13456714

Comments

• Tiny Doom.4380Tiny Doom.4380 Member ✭✭✭

I have completed the Sunken Treasure Hunter Achievement on all three of my accounts but naturally I want to continue opening the chests for the +10 swim speed infusions. At first everything seemed fine but now on two accounts I can no longer open the Sunken Chests in either Bloodtide Coast or Snowden Drifts.

It started in Bloodtide Coast, where first one then a second account started to receive the message "You are unable to open the chest". In each case the charactger did have the correct key in inventory and was able to open a Sunken Chest on another map, Snowden Drifts, immediately afterwards.

A couple of days later the same issue arose with the chest in Snowden Drifts, my new preferred chest, on the same two accounts. Both accounts are now using the chest in Harathi Highlands which, so far still works normally. I have gone back to try the Bloodtide Coast and Snowden Drifts chests on different days and they are still unopenable.

In both cases my characters had to fight a number of Krait Treasure Seekers that were already present at the chests when I got there. Not sure if that is a material fact.

The third account has so far had no problems at all. All accounts are played on the same computer using identical settings and I usually do all three dailies within an hour of each other. My concern, other than the general irritation of not being able to use specific chests, is that if this continues I will eventually not be able to open any chests at all on those two accounts and possibly later on all three.

• Tiny Doom.4380Tiny Doom.4380 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2018

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I did google quite extensively before posting here but I hadn't been able to find any mention of the problem. I imagine that would quickly become obvious if you only played one account. Doing it on three, I had opened the same chest two or three times in a row, but on different accounts and I hadn't kept a mental note of who was doing which ones. it tended to be which map happened to be nearest to which character I happened to log in first!

I'll go back to going round them all in turn.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Your Hero panel Achievement will keep track (at least until all the APs are rewarded [10 cycles]).

Good luck.

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭

I must admit that's really annoying, after the first cycle you should be allowed to open whatever chest you desire insted of opening all of them again....

Perhaps, after finishing the 'achievement' and possible APs, you can. Doubtful, but maybe.

• NaramSin.2693NaramSin.2693 Member ✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018

Well even if is so bad explained how this achievement work, where I can keep track of opened chest in every cycle?
    -Edit, ok sorry found, the achievement is “master diver”

edited May 24, 2018

In your Hero Panel under 'Master Diver' (Sunken Treasure Hunter) Achievement, I believe. (At least, for 10 cycles, anyway.)

Good luck.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Perhaps, after finishing the 'achievement' and possible APs, you can. Doubtful, but maybe.

You can't, I finished the achievement once, and I can guarantee it doesn't work, you have to go through all locations again and again...
    Edit: oh, you meant all 50 achis...mmh I doubt too but who knows.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

Was yesterday's completion after reset, possibly? You might try again after the next daily reset.

Good luck.

• Kunzaito.8169Kunzaito.8169 Member ✭✭✭

Well, yesterday was after the Friday night reset (US Central time), and then today's was after the next reset (Saturday night). So, no reason I know of that the chests shouldn't reset (as I was able to get another key with the Sunken Chest Daily) but I'll try again tomorrow.

• Manasa Devi.7958Manasa Devi.7958 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2018

Two full days since I completed Master Diver for the second time. I just tried half the chests, and they're all unavailable. I'm at 0/10 for Master Diver and have 2 keys, both from the daily chest). I don't feel like wasting my time visiting the other 5 right now, but I might later. I used a character that hasn't opened any chests yet, by the way, so whatever is going on, it seems to be account-wide.

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

You’re aware there’s now a ‘cast time’ unlocking the chests? So you’ve got to stay still and not get attacked while unlocking them.

Better get a wriggle on.

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Haleydawn.3764 said:
    You’re aware there’s now a ‘cast time’ unlocking the chests? So you’ve got to stay still and not get attacked while unlocking them.

An interruptible cast time.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

I'd like to know the reason behind this, there was no need of a cast time and noone asked for it, so why did they introduce it?

• Confirmed partially for me as well. Completed "Master Diver" my second time yesterday.
    It appears that chests I opened in the later parts of previous cycle are not yet reset, but the ones I did at the beginning of the previous cycle are. I specifically looked at the the latest 4 I opened (none are interactable) and the first 3 (which are all interactable).

Note that as explained in the first post, in the noted instances, it is not possible to interact with the chest at all. Visually it is already open.

• Nikal.4921Nikal.4921 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2018

I completed a round a couple of days ago. Today, before dailies reset, I opened the chest in Bloodtide Coast. Well after reset, I went to Kessex Hills and the chest there appears already opened. Can we only open one chest a day? And do they have a different reset time than the dailies?

edited to add- when I did the previous round, I was able to open several chests (all in different locations) in one day. So I assume we are supposed to be able to open more than one a day provided we have the keys.

• Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can't access the chests either. They show opened but don't have any indication they are an object I can interact with. It's like the content has been disabled. I guess I'll just stack my keys until they fix it.

• vpchelko.4261vpchelko.4261 Member ✭✭
    edited May 28, 2018

The same, stuck at 6/10.

• Gorani.7205Gorani.7205 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018

I am on my third roation through the sunken chests.
    I opened the Timberline chest on Saturday, The Mt Maelstrom yesterday (all looked OK and opend OK, registering the attempt on the list)
    Today, the Kessex chest "was open visually" and I could not interact with it. The Gendarran Fields chest was OK and I could open it.
    Perhaps it is just a few chests that are not resetting?

PS:
    The Kessex, Blazeridge & Frostgorge chests are not working. I am currently stuck at 7/10 in my 3rd turn.

• Dmon.2089Dmon.2089 Member ✭✭

Same thing happens to me, and achievement doesn't appear on the list either reset or completed, it just dissapeared from the list.
    Chests are visually open and no interaction possible with them.

• Kaatora.3186Kaatora.3186 Member ✭✭
    edited May 28, 2018

This bug has been here since the cast time was added to the opening of sunken chests. I am at the point where all the sunken chests that exist show open for me and not interactable, so I guess I just sit on the keys and wait for the fix. I, too, was hoping the chests would reset after some time, but no chest has reset for me since the 22 May patch.

• Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

I was able to open the one on Frostgorge Sound.

• Dignarus.3794Dignarus.3794 Member ✭✭

So this is a bug apparently. As with other folks who posted above, I finished my 2nd round of Master Diver. I was able to open 1 chest yesterday so I'm at 10% of 3rd round. When I went to do the 2nd chest this morning it was closed but somewhere in between the 5th and 8th krait kill, someone looted the chest and remained stuck open on my screen after that . I've checked several other chests and they are all showing an open. Unable to use. Hopefully this will be address or just go away as it seems to be happening to plenty of people.

• The night that I completed the second round of master diver (I believe it was last Thursday), I opened two chests: the one in Kessex Hills and the one in Bloodtide Coast. Since then, both chests have been inaccessible to any character on my account. As described by others in this thread, the chests are visible, appear to be opened, and cannot be interacted with.

• Skip.3510Skip.3510 Member
    edited May 28, 2018

After doing the daily 10 Krait at a "visible / labeled" sunken chest on first character, I opened the sunken chest. An hour later I found another key and went to open a different chest but the sunken chest in Timberline, Harathi, Lornar were not "labeled", and could not be interacted with. I swapped to my 2nd character and talked to Lion's Arch dive NPC, and was able to see a labeled chest in Bloodtide Coast. Just found another key, and can not see a "labeled" sunken chest in Harathi or Timberline - even after talking to Lions Arch NPC on character 3 or 4. I have completed the Master Diver achievement twice but something is definitely broken now. I logged completely out of game, and took character 4 to Kessex where the sunken chest was "visible and labeled" - opened it and saw Dive Master achievement status change correctly from 4 / 10 to 5 / 10. It feels like I now have to visit the sunken chests in a particular order in order to see them labeled / interactable. Sad . . .

• Rayti.6531Rayti.6531 Member ✭✭✭

I’m also on my third round, sticking to the order given in the achievement description. The first three in the third round opened for me, now all chests appear as “already open” to me.

Could this be somehow related to how many keys one got as an additional drop? Because in my case it’s exactly 3 keys I got as a drop, and 3 chests I was “allowed” to open in the 3rd round of the achievement... (I know this is unlikely, but you never know) :)

• Dmon.2089Dmon.2089 Member ✭✭

Can anyone else with this problem check if the achievement has disappeared from their list?

• I have the same problem. Timerline Falls is not resetting for me. The chest is "open", I can't interact with it and I haven't opened it in days.

@Dmon.2089 said:
    Can anyone else with this problem check if the achievement has disappeared from their list?

I never lost the achievement, it just went from 9/10 to 0/10 when I finished it for the seccond time.

To follow up on my earlier post:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:
    Two full days since I completed Master Diver for the second time. I just tried half the chests, and they're all unavailable. I'm at 0/10 for Master Diver and have 2 keys, both from the daily chest). I don't feel like wasting my time visiting the other 5 right now, but I might later. I used a character that hasn't opened any chests yet, by the way, so whatever is going on, it seems to be account-wide.

I checked the remaining 5, and the five I checked earlier as well. 3 of them were availalable. Coincidentally, I had 3 keys at that point. I didn't open any of them in my first pass because I wanted to see if something would change about the other chest. A little experiment. Here's how it played out:

• I checked all 10 without actually opening any, I had 3 keys on me.
    • Three were available.
    • I went back and opened the available 3.
    • I revisited the other 7 to see if opening the 3 made more of them available. It didn't. All 7 were still unavailable.

Having 3 available while having 3 daily keys might not be a coincidence. Now I wonder if they might have a 10 day cooldown, to force us to cycle through all of them before opening repeat chests. I'll check again in 24 hours to see if I can spot a pattern.

• I am on my second round and no chest works anymore. Really nice.

• I also have the same problem. 2nd cycle, no chest can be opened. All chests appeared as opened already. Please fix this anet

• There's a similar discussion taking place on Reddit. There's no consensus about the details and very few doing any sort of testing in the form that @Manasa Devi.7958 described above. However, a combination theories seems to explain the symptoms, including the idea that there are multiple cooldowns/time-gates involved:

• The 10-day cycle, in which we can only open each chest once until Dive Master is completed.
    • A further 3-7 day cool off for each chest, in which any specific chest cannot be opened.
    • Possible other forms for "diminished returns", such as character limitations or 'flooding', i.e. attempting to open a chest without a key or too many times per cycle increases the length of the cooldown.
    • Some people not realizing that there's a channeling time now for opening the chest (generally, there are plenty of things that will interrupt it).
    • Misleading animation, e.g. whether the chest "looks open" might be unrelated.

All of the above could be true and it could also be bugged. But if it's bugged, it's inconsistent: not everyone seems to be affected.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Kaatora.3186Kaatora.3186 Member ✭✭
    edited May 29, 2018

Day 3 of all sunken chests being non-functional/non-interactable for me. This is after having opened each chest exactly once since the 22 May patch, where the cast time was added to the opening of the chests. I have visited all of the chests each of these 3 days just to be sure. I have screenshots for each non-functional chest if it somehow wanted.

Today, 2 chests are available for me that weren't available yesterday. I wish I remembered the order I opened them in the previous achievement cycle.

• I'm going to keep getting the keys and then hopefully, open all the chests in one go as none are appearing for me at the moment.

• keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭✭

@Savanna.7416 said:
    I'm going to keep getting the keys and then hopefully, open all the chests in one go as none are appearing for me at the moment.

agreed, I have the issue as well. Chest appears open instead of glowing in the seam. I did find another chest on my list that was not stuck.

@Anet - Hopefully, it's a bug that will be fixed .. otherwise, please comment if we don't fully understand the process.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

• @Manasa Devi.7958 said:
    Today, 2 chests are available for me that weren't available yesterday. I wish I remembered the order I opened them in the previous achievement cycle.

Still, that's helpful, in that it at least suggests an additional per-chest cooldown, as some are theorizing.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• SlippyCheeze.5483SlippyCheeze.5483 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Still, that's helpful, in that it at least suggests an additional per-chest cooldown, as some are theorizing.

For the first time I am happy my pedantic "start at the top of the list in the achievement, work your way down" strategy has an actual pay-off. :)

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018

W T F, today every chest of the ones I miss from achi (7 chests in total) is unavailabe to be opened to me :/
    They're either bugged or very bad designed, help please!

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• Wolfheart.7483Wolfheart.7483 Member ✭✭✭

I am experiencing this, as well, with the Timberline Falls chest. It simply hasn't reset for me. I am on my second time through the achievement and stuck at 9/10. The Timberline chest is open and no text or anything. I can't interact with it at all.

• Deepcuts.9740Deepcuts.9740 Member ✭✭✭

Same thing here.
    3rd run, opened Gendarran and from then on, all chests appear opened and I cannot interact with them.
    Tried multiple characters and all other maps.

• Locce.8405Locce.8405 Member ✭✭✭

This extra chest cooldown does not seem to make much sense. All it does is add confusion about which chests are or are not lootable on any given day and limit the value of dropped keys since they do not count for much once you hit the cooldown on all chests.
    That said, it could be how it works. I habitually work my lists from top to bottom and am curently at 6/10 on my second round. Timberline Falls and Mount Maelstrom (and the 6 chests done in this round naturally) are on cooldown.

• Skip.3510Skip.3510 Member

So sad - 6 of 10 done on third cycle of Dive master achievement and can not interact with any of the 10 sunken chest locations. They appear as already opened, and do not have a label on the chests.

• jediwolf.8724jediwolf.8724 Member ✭✭✭

I had to go to 4 different areas in order to find a chest to open. Its getting to be a nightly thing. Keep way pointing around the world to find a chest that has reset.
    Lormars, Timberline, Mount Maelstrom were not reset but Frostgorge was. This is getting to be a pain.

• Lunateric.3708Lunateric.3708 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have the same bug, opened them all once for the first achievement, couldn't open them again at all.

• See also: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/41528/sunken-chests-not-resetting
    (a later thread opened on the same topic)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.