[Suggestion] Horse Mount [merged] - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[Suggestion] Horse Mount [merged]

Comments

• JDub.1530JDub.1530 Member ✭✭✭

ANet resisted mounts for so long because they didn't want people to just speed through the game. What they finally added weren't just fancy speed boosts, but (also) offered new ways to move through the game. If they were ever to add a horse as a mount type and not just a skin, it would have to provide something other than a speed boost.

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:
    Honestly, we really don't need a horse mount when most of us have already unlocked the super-convenient griffon anyway

Pegasus skin for Griffy?

It will look stupid. Griffon doesn't run like horse, it runs like a big cat. And skins don't change base mount animations.

Sorry, I left off the [JOKE] icon.

And full name is "Followers of Bad [JOKE]", eh?

Hmm. Now you've got me thinking thoughts I shouldn't think..

Character name This Is A Bad, guild tag [Joke]

Nameplate: This Is A Bad [Joke]

Except there's probably already a character called that that belongs to a guild with that tag.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

@JDub.1530 said:
    ANet resisted mounts for so long because they didn't want people to just speed through the game. What they finally added weren't just fancy speed boosts, but (also) offered new ways to move through the game. If they were ever to add a horse as a mount type and not just a skin, it would have to provide something other than a speed boost.

Burrowing. The reason we don't see any horses in Tyria is because they evolved into burrowing creatures. They are still very common, indeed, but only the skritt and stone dwarves mount them now. When we finally get the subterranean Primordus related expac, we'll be mounting our fast burrowing horses all the time.

@Ardid.7203 said:

@JDub.1530 said:

Burrowing. The reason we don't see any horses in Tyria is because they evolved into burrowing creatures. They are still very common, indeed, but only the skritt and stone dwarves mount them now. When we finally get the subterranean Primordus related expac, we'll be mounting our fast burrowing horses all the time.

Sounds legit

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AncientYs.8613 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@AncientYs.8613 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:
    what if the horse mount has a speed ability, you can run allot faster for as long as your stamina is available.

This is not botw though :/

botw?

Zelda: breath of the wild.

ahh, i was more thinking similar to skyrim.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

and they are most likely extinct

People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

Have you ever seen living horse in GW or GW2?

i have
    https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kirin

• Maybe a Pegasus mount skin for the Griffin.

• MetalGirl.2370MetalGirl.2370 Member ✭✭✭

I don't see why not.
    People say how it doesn't fit the game cuz there are no horses anywhere...but really, by that logic, we shouldn't even have branded mount skins.
    They can't be tamed, even ogre in Crystal Oasis says so to her kid when she says she wants branded griffon, so if they ignore lore there why wouldn't they ignore lore when it comes to horses.

STOP TELLING ME I'M NOT FORCED TO DO SOMETHING - I AM AN AP HUNTER SO YES, I HAVE TO DO IT
    ....AND GIVE HAIRSTYLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

They are mentioned in various NPC dialogue, can be seen on official GW2 art, are mentioned in the novel(s). How do horses not fit on a rural map like Queensdale?

People told you a dozen times by now that they are not, and why. Stop insinsting on something that has been refuted already. Stop ignoring the facts.

i have

Kirin is not a horse.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

What if the horses don't want to be mounted? did you think of that?

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin is not a horse.

and the raptor is not a raptor, what's your point?

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin is not a horse.

That your response to my previous post makes no sense.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin is not a horse.

That your response to my previous post makes no sense.

it does, the kirin is part horse and even has the shape and size of a horse, so in every sense and purpose it is the horse of GW.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

"Horses don't exist in GW1 or GW1." Not until they put them in the game. By that logic our characters are homeless because we don't live in any specific building.

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@crepuscular.9047 said:
    Horses are extinct, Charr charr grilled them all B)

Everyone knows that. Why would the charr go invade Orr all the way from Ascalon? They had horses. Charr eat all the horses.

• sitarskee.5738sitarskee.5738 Member ✭✭✭

why would you want to ride a horse anyway when you have much cooler raptors, jackals and girffons

horses are overrated and boring imo

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:
    I don't see why not.
    People say how it doesn't fit the game cuz there are no horses anywhere...but really, by that logic, we shouldn't even have branded mount skins.
    They can't be tamed, even ogre in Crystal Oasis says so to her kid when she says she wants branded griffon, so if they ignore lore there why wouldn't they ignore lore when it comes to horses.

That would had been a plot hole, had they resolved it with 2 things found in the main story lines........
    1. Jackals are a byproduct of Nightfall. They've been tamed by Djinn and given new purpose, as long as the rider can maintain dominance (which is a behavioral trait common to wild canines, and refined to produce domesticated dogs).
    2. Dragon minions can be freed of influence, but the process is sketchy as far as story is concerned. Glint and the Pale Tree are 2 of the oldest examples, though both were inherently intelligent. Lesser minions can be assigned a new master by exploiting quirks in the Dragon's control methods..... but there is a link between intelligence, how control is exerted on minions, and the potential to subvert it. Plus active dragons can easily exert control with enough proximity, or a Proxy to extend it.
    2b. Ogres talk a big game- but in practice, the Charr got them beat on nearly every front. Ogres rely on their physical stature to exert dominance, and their taming methods are basic at best. Charr have industrialized their animal husbandry techniques, and can tame almost anything natural through a combination of advanced study/techniques and selective survival. Asura can potentially go 3 steps further by using subversion techniques via magic or technology; IE- unnatural methods. The reason the Ogres fail is because they think all beasts are just beasts- Yet any race thats beyond tribal levels, and posses a greater knowledge base, are all more successful then Ogres.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2018

@sitarskee.5738 said:
    why would you want to ride a horse anyway when you have much cooler raptors, jackals and girffons

One's definition of "cool" might differ from another person's. I can do without crazy childish stuff, for instance, or at least like to have an option.

"Boring"? Okay, I bet you are into super hero cartoons and movies too, where everything is over the top and "ultra cool" - which is the tone GW2 has taken up lately (well, gradually within the past 2 years). I prefer more class in content (visuals as well as dialogue) and a straight, harmonious design where the elements fit perfectly together - in other words, a cup of "good, old fashioned fantasy genre" tea.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:

One's definition of "cool" might differ from another person's. I can do without crazy childish stuff, for instance, or at least like to have an option.

"Boring"? Okay, I bet you are into super hero cartoons and movies too, where everything is over the top and "ultra cool" - which is the tone GW2 has taken up lately (well, gradually within the past 2 years). I prefer more class in content (visuals as well as dialogue) and a straight, harmonious design where the elements fit perfectly together - in other words, a cup of "good, old fashioned fantasy genre" tea.

I wouldnt mind a horse, IF they made it have functionality like the rest of the mounts. i love horses, ive owned horses, they are anything but "boring" in most cases ive found. But for them to fit in, in GW2 theyd have to be made to have functionality like the rest.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018

@Amaranthe.3578 said:
    Am I the only one who really wants to ride the classic horse mount and finds it extremely weird we have no horse mount or skin?

There are no horses in tyria. At least in living tyria.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin are not Horses...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin
    Might look vaguely like horses, doesn't mean they are.

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

Riding a skritt riding a horse, that would be ok.

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

Before the launch, I wanted horses, it that was before I saw the uses for each mount. Now I'm glad they took the time to think outside of the box.

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

As long as I am on the skritt's back.

Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Bring back Impending Dhuum.

• Chilli.2976Chilli.2976 Member ✭✭✭✭

The "horse" is the equivalent to dolyak in GW2.

• ReV.6097ReV.6097 Member ✭✭✭

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

As long as I am on the skritt's back.

There's also those kinds of horses' painted on the wall in DR by the carnival. Horses exist and probably are far from extinct, but up until the idea of mounts there was no need to even glance at the idea of adding such things. Had they not added that Skritt mini with the horse, and the few other icons and pictures/paintings and refferences, there'd be nothing else to go on.
    Personally , I'd love to see them.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:
    Honestly, we really don't need a horse mount when most of us have already unlocked the super-convenient griffon anyway

Pegasus skin for Griffy?

I rather ride this than pegasus

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:

Pegasus skin for Griffy?

I rather ride this than pegasus

I gotta say that I like the way you think.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Skritt in a horse costume huh

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:

You're right about the definition of "cool". You're wrong about me being into super hero cartoons and movies. I bet you're into tasting cheese and wine while listening to classical music. I also bet you think fedoras are awesome and you like gossiping in british accent.

I believe there is a reason behind horseless universe in Guild Wars and I am fully supporting it. Horses don't fit the current mount system, they don't fit the story and well.. they've never been there so why would they appear all of a sudden? Horses are literally in any other MMO, I like how GW stays unique in this aspect.

• I would like to see if Anet can give us a mount which can dive under the water, not only can ride on the surface.

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭

@sitarskee.5738 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:

You're right about the definition of "cool". You're wrong about me being into super hero cartoons and movies. I bet you're into tasting cheese and wine while listening to classical music. I also bet you think fedoras are awesome and you like gossiping in british accent.

I believe there is a reason behind horseless universe in Guild Wars and I am fully supporting it. Horses don't fit the current mount system, they don't fit the story and well.. they've never been there so why would they appear all of a sudden? Horses are literally in any other MMO, I like how GW stays unique in this aspect.

And peacocks,spooky mounts and branded untamable mounts fit the gw universe well.
    Mounts are not lore friendly.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:

I wouldnt mind a horse, IF they made it have functionality like the rest of the mounts. i love horses, ive owned horses, they are anything but "boring" in most cases ive found. But for them to fit in, in GW2 theyd have to be made to have functionality like the rest.

They could just add it as a raptor skin.
    Raptors long jump = horses long gallop

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

And peacocks,spooky mounts and branded untamable mounts fit the gw universe well.
    Mounts are not lore friendly.

Those are just skins to please your eyes and fit your outfits. They're still jackals, raptors etc. I wouldn't mind if they added horses if majority of people wants it but how would you suggest them to implement them in current mount system?

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

I believe they would have to create a whole new mount since it would demand a whole new animation system, etc.

• CETheLucid.3964CETheLucid.3964 Member ✭✭✭

Just do a cool looking Kirin on the Jackal. It looks horse-like enough that it should satisfy people asking for a horse and cool enough to draw in people who want a cool fantasy mount.

Unless it doesn't cause ya'll are a persnickety bunch that literally wants for an incredibly boring lifelike rendition of the horse that can't really be done justice on the current mounts we have... then whatever.

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:

It would need an entirely new animation set, so i do not think they could.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2018

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:

I demand this raptor then... an Engineer specific raptor skins B)

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭

>

That would be pretty awesome but I think all we can ever have engineer-like will be the holo mounts we got some time ago which in my opinion could have been made better. I still like them but it's like they only added the holo effect around the mounts.

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@sitarskee.5738 said:

Tyrannosaurus Rekts

Let's just add seahorses. That satisfies two groups at once: people that want horses and people who want underwater mounts.

The donation jar is now open.........

You're welcome.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:
    Just do a cool looking Kirin on the Jackal. It looks horse-like enough that it should satisfy people asking for a horse and cool enough to draw in people who want a cool fantasy mount.

Unless it doesn't cause ya'll are a persnickety bunch that literally wants for an incredibly boring lifelike rendition of the horse that can't really be done justice on the current mounts we have... then whatever.

Great idea

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Aion had horses. Store ones and I really don't want to go there with shop only mounts.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:
    Am I the only one who really wants to ride the classic horse mount and finds it extremely weird we have no horse mount or skin?

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin are not Horses...

a raptor isn't a raptor ether, they are more like the allosaurus but smaller.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allosaurus
    try again.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin are not Horses...

try again.

Allosaurus? Really? You know Allosaurus is basically a relatively smaller Tyrannosaurus, right?
    If you said a raptor is a bird (like the actual Raptor mobs in the game) i'd go for that. But as far as anyone knows the Allossaurus looks like a bird as well. So basically saying that it looks like any dinosaur is basically just self-defeating.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin are not Horses...

try again.

Allosaurus? Really? You know Allosaurus is basically a relatively smaller Tyrannosaurus, right?
    If you said a raptor is a bird (like the actual Raptor mobs in the game) i'd go for that. But as far as anyone knows the Allossaurus looks like a bird as well. So basically saying that it looks like any dinosaur is basically just self-defeating.

You know, i wanted to say the same thing, but i couldnt put my words down properly.

Also why bring real animals into a video game? the "raptor" can look however they want it to. It doesnt have to look anything like a dinosaur at all. I wish we had a mountable version of the one from GW1 which was basically half snake in how it moved.

• alcopaul.2156alcopaul.2156 Member ✭✭✭

a.net design team, please make a raptor skin that looks gargoyle-y, with horns and big fangs.

Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

• fireanne.7682fireanne.7682 Member ✭✭
    edited June 3, 2018

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    Guild Wars may have no horses, but there were Kirin in Cantha (Guild Wars Factions) which look a bit horse-like.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jade_Torn_Kirin_(monk)
    https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Stone_Scale_Kirin
    https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jade_Torn_Kirin_(mesmer)

Maybe a mount idea with a future Cantha-expansion? It would surely look great with a Sylvari riding it.

Oh my gosh yes please! O:

@Dante.1763 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin are not Horses...

try again.

You know, i wanted to say the same thing, but i couldnt put my words down properly.

Also why bring real animals into a video game? the "raptor" can look however they want it to. It doesnt have to look anything like a dinosaur at all. I wish we had a mountable version of the one from GW1 which was basically half snake in how it moved.

@Dante.1763 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

i have

Kirin are not Horses...

try again.

so with that, let's add a horse with big hoves and a tail made of cloth.

• I've read all the posts in this thread and my point is that having a regular horse would be a great way to relax in game.
    Earlier today I was considering buying the Paths of Fire expansion specifically because it might have a horse mount.
    By horse mount, I mean a fairly realistic horse that can't jump or travel at high speed.
    A mount that takes some skill to ride and maneuver over mountain trails etc.

I used to chill out by riding a horse in the virtual world Second Life (SL).
    SL is huge, and like GW2 has many varied terrains that demand some skill when riding a horse.
    Terrains in SL range from grass, forests, mountains and deserts.
    GW2 certainly has far more advanced terrains with none of the sim border crossing issues of SL.

Yes, I can see that a regular horse would require a really huge amount of work by the devs so would need to be economically viable.
    Somehow they would have to get players interested but I think there would be more players interested than many expect.
    SL still has a vibrant horse community with everything from loners like myself, to social gatherings.
    There horses can cost tens of USD or more - mine cost 6 USD

As for lore, we now have characters that look like motorized guns, so justifying a regular horse shouldn't be too difficult.

By the way, I spend most my in-game time in WvW where its action packed and not much time to chill out.

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Malkom.5607 said:
    I used to chill out by riding a horse in the virtual world Second Life (SL).
    SL is huge, and like GW2 has many varied terrains that demand some skill when riding a horse.
    Terrains in SL range from grass, forests, mountains and deserts.
    GW2 certainly has far more advanced terrains with none of the sim border crossing issues of SL.

Yes, I can see that a regular horse would require a really huge amount of work by the devs so would need to be economically viable.
    Somehow they would have to get players interested but I think there would be more players interested than many expect.
    SL still has a vibrant horse community with everything from loners like myself, to social gatherings.

SL has not had any "vibrant communities" for years. It's a terrible platform that has been dying slowly for the better part of a decade. It's an environment where all the best items are massive hacks on the existing technologies filled with kludges and bad workarounds to the limitations of the engine.
    Are there people who ride horses in SL? I'm sure there are a few dozen left.
    There are people who build and drive race cars there as well... Should Guild Wars cater to 15 remaining people on SL who enjoy this too?
    There's also a significant Gor community there as well. Should Anet cater to groups who take part in RP centered around sexual slavery?

SL is an environment where it takes a half hour just to learn to put on a pair of shoes. It's a game that doesn't protect it's content creators from theft of their work. It's a platform being kept alive by a relatiively small group of people who are too uneducated to understand that the sim costs are a scam.

While I understand that you may really want a horse, Guild Wars has nothing to learn from the platform.... unless of course the devs want a world that looks like a junkyard with dancer poles every 20 feet.
    Invoking the platform detracts from your argument.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.