Professions you enjoy the most and the least ?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lightning/earth-Lightning rod-non-piano-sword/dagger glyph weaver: Super fun, eats breakbars for candy, pure badass melee style. It doesn't deal much damage, but it deals enough for it to not be a hinder to the fun of it in open world/dungeons/not high fractals/not raid. I so want eles next melee elite revolve around sitting in 1 element. Like greatsword Primalist who fully dedicates to master 1 element inspired by God of Fire Balthazar himself.

Dual-sword power renegade: flashy warrior who has a bit of everything- insta full might stacks, vuln, max crit with barely any presicison on gear, AoE mass Daze doing gods work for me. For all your solo needs.

Hammer Gyro Scrapper(no kits): like a hammer version of my weaver, only immortal.

Least is easy: Necromancer and Revenant.Most: right now, Warrior and Engineer.

But in the end, it's all about the combination (race-profession) I enjoy the most. For example, I love my Charr Warrior and it's incredibly fun playing her, but my Human Warrior (with the exact same build) felt so boring I deleted her.

in order for me is...

1. Guardian-Core Meditation build
  2. Necromancer and Reaper-Minion build
  3. Ranger-Power Ranger, core build..have dabbled with Druid
  4. Warrior-Core build, I like Berserker too, but like core more..I like off hand Axe...what can I say, it amuses me.
  5. Thief-Love Daredevil
  6. Elementalist-All my Elementalists are Tempests. Core and Tempest-Air FTW
  7. Revenant-Core build. Herald, meh.
  8. Engineer-Core build, love Flamethrower. Need to play scrapper more to form an opinion.
  9. Mesmer-But Mesmer may rise in rank. I have enough HoT HPs to unlock Chronomancer once I get a certain amount of open world HPs, so , when I am not playing my new Necro in open vanilla world, I am playing my Mesmer...and to my shock, I am enjoying him! I made my own build, but, knowledge adds on to knowledge, so I think it is time to read some guides and see if I can rework things to enjoy him even more.

I'll follow @"perilisk.1874" and do my top from preferred to least played:

1. Guardian (Was my first character, back in 2012, i meant to play it as a tank, and did so for a long time, now it's my favourite power dpser)
  2. Ranger (was my second character, loved playing it for the "pokemon" thing, still enjoy playing it a lot)
  3. Mesmer
  4. Necro
  5. Engineer (3-5th are in more or less the same play-time level, but reasons differ, i used to play engineer more pre-Hot, didn't take to scrapper, been enjoying Holo more, but still haven't played it as much, Necro was the opposite, picked it up more after Reaper, and also enjoyed Scourge. Mesmer i started playing it more for raids, since i've always liked tanking)
  6. Revenant (played it a lot when HoT came out, less and less now)
  7. Warrior (It isn't higher on the list for two simple reasons, it's very similar to Guardian which was my main, and my brother's first character was a warrior, so usually he's the one that takes that class on groups, so i play it less)
  8. Elementalist (its not that i don't like the class, but it was one of the last classes i leveled, and so i never ended having a lot of play time. Also i rarely play as a "mage" in RPGs, so of the "classic" archetypes it was the natural last one for me to pick)
  9. Thief (Kinda like the same as ele, but with a different story. I left thief for last because me and my brother had a plan of having a character that we'd level exclusively in WvW, but things happened and i ended up actually deleting my first thief, to make room for the revenant, and only making a new one later, which i ended up boosting to 80, so it ended up my least played, but i've been having fun with it lately, playing DE a lot).

@killermanjaro.5670 said:

Then there's Mesmer, which is the class I really want to enjoy, but I just can't seem to as I just don't seem to be able to work out how to play it very well. Whatever I seem to try I always seem really weak and it seems to take me forever to kill anything with it (even general mobs in PvE). I don't know why I can't seem to get my head around how to play it, when to shatter illusions,why I've got no dps etc. A shame because the class and weapons available to it all appeal to me.--snip--What level are you? People have said level 80 Mesmers are a world different than sub 80 Mesmers. My Mesmer is doing good DPS and does not die too much. If you are sub 80, you might want to powerlevel that puppy to 80.

Enjoy the most - Elementalist, Ranger, and GuardianEnjoy the least - Engineer, Necromancer, and Mesmer

For me, it's more about which professions I connect to the most and the style of the class. However, I like all of the professions and they're all designed well.

Favs are Thief and Revenant, i like managing a resource better than being locked by Cooldowns and i like mobility, least fav so far is Necro (walks with cement boots, very stale gameplay) and Mesmer (entirely reliant on cooldowns and i'd rather just play my Thief for that playstyle).

Engineer is my favorite profession but it's the worst profession to main right now.

Not good in fractals raids or wvw. Decent in low rank spvp but gets outshined by a few professions who dominate the meta.

Engineer is not viable. People say thief necromancer mesmer ranger are all unplayable - they used to be OP but now they are fairly balanced against each other. Elementalists are pretty balanced. Guardians are a 1 trick pony. Great for pvp. Useless in pve.

Most people like engineer for roleplaying but if you want powerful abilities engineer is the worst at it. It has clunky low damage low healing skills. No support skills no awesome ultility. Engineer has a good amount of stuns but it doesn't work too well in pvp. But pve engineers can break bars easily. Engineers also had their condi nerfed.

Engineers are basically a class you play out of sheer feelings and enjoyment not to win at anything. We are clowns basically. Engineer is played to suffer and not to have fun.

Engineer (with and without Holo, but no Scrapper) is my all time favorite, hands down. Then Reaper (normal Necro is super boring for me).The other professions have all been interesting to play, but none has really become close to these first two.Then warrior I find fairly boring, and I just can't stand Ele, It feels too "generic magic stuff" for my taste.

The only character that doesn't appeal to me is Engineer. I can't even be bothered to level one (I spent a lvl 80 boost just to complete my set). Not sure where I even parked her it's been that long since I logged in.Ele is my favourite; I especially like the Weaver speciality. Axe/Axe Warrior was my very first character and still retains a soft spot in my affections. Necro and Ranger are solid go to classes. Pistol/Pistol Thief is also fun to play!

Was tempted to say elementalist since it's my main till Launch days but I got bored of the "bunking " meta in spvp that has been there too many times. The recent Meteor shower killed my love for it since it's not even top in its main gamemode so it's a dead class to me.

So I would' say:

+

Revenant : unless it has a very hard time learning it and being used to energy managemement. It feels really rewarding when you manage to make plays with it. I like the fact that it can be decently mobile and high risk high reward. I t 's challenging

-

Hard to say ... maybe mesmer but i don't like them only when facing them and the fact that they have been OP for too many seasons in spvp (even if they almost got erradicated froms spvp once or twice) but being "a must have" in raids triggers me too ... no alternativeGameplay wise I would say necromancer , feels clunky and not dynamic at all. Slow, weird , too dark , gameplay boring.

This thread highlights one of GW2's strength's: a variety of professions that appeal to a range of play styles. Professions I don't care for are loved by others. and vice versa. The only one that seems regularly to be bottom of list of revenant (although there are a few proponents even there).

For me, my top profession is elementalist. It's the one I always go back to and the one I think of as my main, although I regularly do a deep dive into other classes. I like the aesthetics of the profession and as with several others on this thread, it represents the profession closest to my paper and pencil RPG preferences.

Ranger is my go-to open world farmer. I like the mobility, ranged attack and pet, when running around but I can't say I love it or use it for more than casual play.

I regularly play guardian, warrior and mesmer. Warrior is fun for quick gratification but gets old after a bit. Guardian is fun in pvp although I don't care for it in open world. I like Mesmer a lot but in the end a dabble with it more than play it regularly.

Engineer, necromancer and thief I play occasionally but they don't really click for me.

Revenant I do not like. I try it from time to time but don't care for the mechanics.

• 6 months later...

I actually like all profession (preference depends on mood) except Mesmer, which I find boring - unlike its cool GW1 version (but even there I rarely played Mesmer as main profession, mostly as secondary). I don't like how Mesmer is all support and inadequate in dealing (massive) damage in GW2.

So, my least played profession is Mesmer, my second least played is Engineer. My overall favorite is Guardian.