Toughness/Vitality — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Toughness/Vitality

For a Warrior point for point is Toughness or Vitality better?

Comments

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭

First, you'd have to define "better." For general PvE use, Berserker gear is recommended, which has neither. What are you looking to do?

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• Just survive longer. I am using a Great sword and have died to a Veteran Wolf Mother once and a Troll Veteran once. Went back and won both but still I was thinking about switching to Axe and Shield. Keeping a Rife as my second because I like the Rife. I don't mind taking longer to kill. Just seems like all the advice is do as much damage as fast as you can. So I am just curious.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Warriors already have a high health pool, so boosting toughness might work for you. I use Power/Vit/Tough on one of my Warriors and I love the feel of it. Might not kill fast, but I'm not bothered.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• SlippyCheeze.5483SlippyCheeze.5483 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DeanBB.4268 said:
    First, you'd have to define "better." For general PvE use, Berserker gear is recommended, which has neither. What are you looking to do?

@Jordus Stoutmantle.6417, this is absolutely correct. In general, the way GW2 combat works, you don't really want to stack either of them, because they don't really provide the benefits you would find in most other MMOs.

Instead, combat in GW2 is about moving out of bad stuff, dodging, using other defensive tools, and smartly understanding how the enemy are going to act. Seriously, some of the enemy NPCs, which use the same skills players do, are most easily handled by knowing how the skills work. Deadly until you figure it out, relatively easy when you do. They are also much smarter than enemies in most other MMOs, in my experience, in that the don't just blindly keep hitting the "tank". :)

So, the "recommended" strategy is just full "glass cannon" gear, because stacking either toughness or vitality doesn't really help. You still can't just tank incoming damage: you might go from one big attack up to two before you die, but that is going from three seconds of combat to six, and that isn't enough to win any significant fight.

That said: if you are having trouble while you learn this, I absolutely recommend adding some defensive stats, because the difference between one-shot dead and one-shot-almost-dead in quite large in terms of learning, in my experience.

If you do that, the "best" stat is Vitality. Not because it is inherently better than Toughness, but because the very, very few monsters that do respond to the "toughest" target around them, rather than the one hurting them the most, do it in the basis of toughness level. So, while it is rare, stacking toughness will occasionally attract something to focus on you and kill you first.

• sitarskee.5738sitarskee.5738 Member ✭✭✭

Power/Vitality/Toughness and you're pretty much unkillable but it will take you longer to kill. The thing is though, as you learn how to play your class you will find that it's pretty easy to survive in most cases in Open World and then you will lean towards Power/Ferocity/Precision which will make you kill stuff way faster.

• Thanks for all the replies. I will practice more on avoiding then.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you want some more HP you can use Marauder stat gear. It's basically Berserker's stats but with more HP, makes a difference of around 4000 hp.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• Optimator.3589Optimator.3589 Member ✭✭✭

I second the Marauder gear. It's pretty cheap to craft, and gives a nice boost over zerk. Scrapper runes work pretty well if you want more survivability than you get with Strength runes. As for traits, I suggest Strength 3-2-2, Defense 1-1-1, and Discipline 2-3-3.

REDUCE NA TO 3 TIERS

• Valandor.9506Valandor.9506 Member ✭✭

As other people sad already: Focus on offensive stats and use your dodges, blocks, movement, traits and utilities (see: invulns) instead, if needed.

For endgame PvE I advise https://snowcrows.com/ - but you still got some time for that. ^^

Some general thing: Whenever you have to decide between Toughness and Vitality for any profession in PvP/WvW, go for that rule: Against Power Damage: Toughness, against Condition Damage: Vitality. The reason is how physical/power damage calculates (see wiki) and the fact, that condis ingore your Toughness/Armor.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.