So... CANTHA? Would you like to explore Cantha in the next expansion!?

Cyrin.1035

@Conqueror.3682 said:If you want Cantha why dont go play GW 1 then?

There are more interesting places to see, i want go north in the next expansion, the far shiverpeaks, the bloodlegion homelands, or even north of Kryta

What is there that you would like to see or are expecting? What interests you about those places?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Samnang.1879" said:fyi i'm asian. but after googling "cantha" on google images... i'm just annoyed by these stereotypical "chinese pagoda" infrastructures...

i mean these pagodas are the not the epitome of "asian" landscapes and landmarks. i want more varieties in the map. i feel like these pagoda/cherry blossom imagery is very very cliched and appear in too many games basing their maps on asian landscapes.

i want to see more structures like these in addition to those chinese pagodas:

XebIfd6.png

What this man said!

Beyond the Shing-Jea Island and maybe some very specific parts of the Jade Sea and the Echovald Fores, I found mainland Cantha boring, painful and depressing.

Also, as some people have mentioned, the far Asian thing has been done to death. PoF has the North African/Middle-Eastern thing covered pretty well - it was good in GW:N, it's good here (what little I've seen, I haven't finished PoF yet).

What would be interesting, if we're talking Asian cultures, would be something like an Indian/Himalayan setting. It could be a whole new thing.

@"Samnang.1879" said:fyi i'm asian. but after googling "cantha" on google images... i'm just annoyed by these stereotypical "chinese pagoda" infrastructures...

i mean these pagodas are the not the epitome of "asian" landscapes and landmarks. i want more varieties in the map. i feel like these pagoda/cherry blossom imagery is very very cliched and appear in too many games basing their maps on asian landscapes.

i want to see more structures like these in addition to those chinese pagodas:

XebIfd6.png

As for more map variety, I agree. But I don’t see why you’re offended at the previous map designs. They took inspiration from all over Asia but never expressed any obligation to one place or to look accurate to anything.

@"Fenom.9457" said:As for more map variety, I agree. But I don’t see why you’re offended at the previous map designs. They took inspiration from all over Asia but never expressed any obligation to one place or to look accurate to anything.

I don't think Samnam was "offended", just annoyed (or weary, like me) that the whole "pagoda" aesthetic was so prominently featured whereas other Asian architecture was mostly ignored - it's been years since I played GW:F but I don't recall many Indian/Polynesian or other Asian aesthetic features in Cantha. If I draw a European parallel, it's like they made a European-themed continent and populated it exclusively with 11-14th century castles - sure, they're nice, but as a European, I'd sigh and go "we have other things too over here and they're equally beautiful, so why leave them out?".

Only if they let us play as the tengu, otherwise please dont touch the place I Started my guild wars journey on. I don't trust you enough to do it justice with the dark, and rather horrible things transpiring there. ( Racisim, genocide all the worst portions of humanity seem to be central to the plot there. They will kill any non-human or exile them.. so unless you deliver on us basically being the "Shrio tagachi" Of this age and KILLING the emperor and removing him from play.... then dont do it. Im all down for a human antagonist on a large scale which would be a breath of fresh air from gods, dragons and now undying liches of a bygone age.)

Haven't played gw1 but I'm interested by Cantha, whereas I have enough of Humans (pof desert maps was boring for me) so would want a charr/asura or even a sylvari extension. BUT my heart is totally with an Depth of Tyria extension. I just followed the classic "crowd effect" on this poll.

Well all the people saying we've seen enough of Cantha...haven't we seen enough of Tyria? Yet it keeps coming back every damn time (eotn and gw2). I personally will be extremely disappointed if they go to the Charr homelands as I'm pretty sure there's nothing there apart from old rusty bivouacs and a bunch of grass...it was like that in gw1, it won't be much different now. By contrast, Cantha would ve changed A TON since gw1 (read the lore). Its a place that means a lot to gw1 players, and is new for gw2 players. Also, it won't be a purely "human expansion", you have all the tengu you guys are crying about, and if they manage to make it a playable race, even better.

What a question.. sure id do, its in fact the region i'd love to explore the most next and wish for to go next to with the next expansion, far much more, than the yet unexplorable regions from EOTN.We are waitign for it for 6 years now, Cantha is overdue.. Zhaitan is no more a danger and can#t stop us anymore from crossign the sea to reach Cantha.. the only iussue that might stop us from doing so is the deep sea dragon, which would be essentialyl then part of the expansions story that we finalyl get to learn more about it and its minions ....

• 2 weeks later...

Before reading this, I respect every other opinion and this is not to try to change anyone's mind

I've read a few comments saying no to Cantha because it would be another "human-based" expansion, but as some others pointed it adds the possibility to add tengu as a playable race and we could see a more tengu centered story, because as far as we know kurzick and luxon are no more, and not many of the other races moved to Cantha, so maybe we could explore what happened to all the tengus there. Also it adds so many possibilities in my mind, like some new weapons for new specs instead of just recycling the old ones. I mean, I can understand the difficulty of adding a new class to the game at this point, but adding new weapons could be a nice way to diversify the new specs from the old ones. They could add like hand-to-hand combat somehow to give the thief a more ninja-ish something, or like a kusarigama as a two-handed weapon or finally adding lance for land combat (still can't get why my character can use a lance underwater but when he gets out he becomes totally dumb and stops being able). I mean, I can see so many possibilities for Cantha and not because of the nostalgic potential it has but because such a different setting could give so many possibilities to implement new content.

I would post every day for the rest of my gaming life to have cantha back. To be fair I just wish Anet would say either way even if it wasn't 'the plan' for now. Cantha is part of Guildwars universe if you like it or not and i'm missing it. And don't get me wrong, I'm expecting some thing different than what we are used, after all 250 plus years is a long time - the jade sea now water again, shiro gone. But yes there are numerous things that can be done, it doesn't have to be about humans after all. ..

• 1 month later...