Sunken Chest Bug [MERGED]

Guest [Deleted User]

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:From the bug report thread, it sounds like almost everyone gets stalled partway through their third run of the achievement.

I'm guessing it's actually "chests don't reset after the 22 May patch", and of course for anyone with a daily routine (one per day) who started when the chests were first released, that means "partway through the third cycle". The mythical keys that "drop from mobs"(1) would accelerate that, of course.

(1) Sorry, but until it actually happens on one of my characters, I'm going to treat it as a myth.

I got two mob-dropped keys, the first from fighting Chak in Tangled Depths, and I think one during a battle with Dredge.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:I haven't logged in in 3 days and yet all the chests are stuck in open positions. :/All?

Double check your Achievement list - you have to finish all chests on the list before the list resets.Look in the bug section it's an official bug, and yes I'm done I even have the title. :p

I just checked the Known Issues tracker and it's not in there. Can you point me to where it is?

I was three chests into my third go-round yesterday when this happened to me - I tried all the chests, but they were all open and nameless. So I guess I'm just stacking the keys until the devs sort this out. Glad to see it's not just me!

@darksome.1697 said:

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:I haven't logged in in 3 days and yet all the chests are stuck in open positions. :/All?

Double check your Achievement list - you have to finish all chests on the list before the list resets.Look in the bug section it's an official bug, and yes I'm done I even have the title. :p

I just checked the Known Issues tracker and it's not in there. Can you point me to where it is?

We all know it's a bug and we are in the bug section so it's official or will be once the devs put their noses in here.As for my case I found the specifics of it I've got 10/10 chests done the achievement gave me the reward and title Freebooter, even with the achievement given it claims 9/10 with all 10 chest done and all the chests in game are not resetting and stuck on open position. :#

Posted on Reddit today

GM Potato Genie (Guild Wars 2 Support)

Jun 2, 08:37 PDT

Hey YPBT,

We are sorry you are having this issue as many other players have been since the last update. The main issue at the moment appears to be the chest not resetting/being able to interact with. We wish there was something we can do, but at the time all we can do is investigate the issue at hand and let the appropriate team know. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we really do appreciate the feedback as this will help the Devs figure out what the cause may be. Perhaps the casting time that was added in the last update? Again, does not explain why the chest aren't resetting. However, you should keep your eyes peeled on the forums for the fix or any news from Anet. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/ Regards,

GM Potato Genie Guild Wars 2 Support Team http://help.guildwars2.com/

Posted on Reddit today

Hey YPBT,

We are sorry you are having this issue as many other players have been since the last update. The main issue at the moment appears to be the chest not resetting/being able to interact with. We wish there was something we can do, but at the time all we can do is investigate the issue at hand and let the appropriate team know. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we really do appreciate the feedback as this will help the Devs figure out what the cause may be. Perhaps the casting time that was added in the last update? Again, does not explain why the chest aren't resetting. However, you should keep your eyes peeled on the forums for the fix or any news from Anet. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/ Regards,

GM Potato Genie Guild Wars 2 Support Team http://help.guildwars2.com/

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhelp.guildwars2.com%2FPosted on Reddit today

Hey YPBT,

We are sorry you are having this issue as many other players have been since the last update. The main issue at the moment appears to be the chest not resetting/being able to interact with. We wish there was something we can do, but at the time all we can do is investigate the issue at hand and let the appropriate team know. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we really do appreciate the feedback as this will help the Devs figure out what the cause may be. Perhaps the casting time that was added in the last update? Again, does not explain why the chest aren't resetting. However, you should keep your eyes peeled on the forums for the fix or any news from Anet.
Regards,

GM Potato Genie Guild Wars 2 Support Team

Here's a pic as abnormal as may be. As you can see on the pic all 10 are done but the achievement refuses to show 10/10 it show 9/10 and you can also see on the left I got the title. :ohttps://imgur.com/QnZvtnaGendarran Fields has a closed chest but no access with key, remember there has been success in 3 or 4 days for most lootersMore update looking at the pic shows Timberline falls completed and looking at the list where the markers are it shows undone.More update and now I wonder if it's really bugged, this is a repeat achievement on the main page it show all done with 10/10 chest and say 9/10 complete but if you go on the markers page is where it shows the ones not done for your second or third pass at it. Starting my third pass at them to confirm this after reset tonight.My markers are 0/10 now see you tonight. Since i had 2 keys I tried it right away and inside of 5 minutes I got 2 chest to open and give me loot, confirming after all this is not bugged people are simply misunderstanding how the achievement works. It's works based on markers alone.Gendarrasn for example you unlock it now it will not open tomorrow it will open on your next pass of the full list. :p

@"darksome.1697" said:I just checked the Known Issues tracker and it's not in there. Can you point me to where it is?

The "know issue tracker" is misnamed — it's never any more than a list of bugs of interest, curated by the QA team. There are many bugs that never make the list, it's sometimes not updated before some highly-visible bugs are fixed, and it has (in the past) gone weeks & weeks without updates. In short: it's useful to know when a bug is on the list; it's not very meaningful when it isn't.

We can also call something a "known bug" when any from ANet comments about it, using language such as "hmmn, that's not how it's supposed to work" etc.

Sunken Chest in conclusion after all my testing is not a bug it is a complex achievement yes. Here's the thing it's one key a day only you can accumulate them and open more than one chest as long as those chests are not marked on the list. Once a chest is open it will remain so even after 5pm reset, chests only close once the full 10 markers list is complete.This is where people go wrong they don't check with the marker list they assume the 5PM PST will reset everything. It is the marker list that resets it all not the server time. B)

@"Hybarf Tics.2048" said:Sunken Chest in conclusion after all my testing is not a bug it is a complex achievement yes. Here's the thing it's one key a day only you can accumulate them and open more than one chest as long as those chests are not marked on the list. Once a chest is open it will remain so even after 5pm reset, chests only close once the full 10 markers list is complete.This is where people go wrong they don't check with the marker list they assume the 5PM PST will reset everything. It is the marker list that resets it all not the server time. B)

You're wrong. I checked with my marker list (I also have a methodical approach to repeating the achievement, working up from the bottom), and the four that I have "unchecked" are still allegedly open when I visit them. I last visited them before the end of my current achievement cycle, and I've never had a mob-dropped key, so it's one chest a day for me.

@"Hybarf Tics.2048" said:Sunken Chest in conclusion after all my testing is not a bug it is a complex achievement yes. Here's the thing it's one key a day only you can accumulate them and open more than one chest as long as those chests are not marked on the list. Once a chest is open it will remain so even after 5pm reset, chests only close once the full 10 markers list is complete.This is where people go wrong they don't check with the marker list they assume the 5PM PST will reset everything. It is the marker list that resets it all not the server time. B)

And how do you explain people checking all chests every day for days on end without any chest ever becoming available again? Because that's what's happening. I've been at 5/10 for 4 days, I have 4 keys and all 10 chests are unavailable. You say "chests only close once the full 10 markers list is complete". How do you suggest I complete that list when the 5 chests I still need to mark in that list are already open? (just like the 5 I already have marked.)

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:Sunken Chest in conclusion after all my testing is not a bug it is a complex achievement yes. Here's the thing it's one key a day only you can accumulate them and open more than one chest as long as those chests are not marked on the list. Once a chest is open it will remain so even after 5pm reset, chests only close once the full 10 markers list is complete.This is where people go wrong they don't check with the marker list they assume the 5PM PST will reset everything. It is the marker list that resets it all not the server time. B)i have it blocked(chests apearing open) at the start of my 3 round, 0 chests marked in the list----->you are wrong

Same here, I'm on my second rotation at 4/10. Haven't played for 2 days, loged in this evening, got a key, checked which chests are still missing, went to Harathi Hinterlands.... Chest was visible but without any text (the yellow ones showing interactable objects). Moved on to Frostgorge- that chest was usable as it should be.

One idea that came into my mind- I didn't do the 1st set in the given order of the achievement list. So if every chest gets on a 10-day-timer it would make some kind of sense that chests I opened later in the 1st cycle are still locked for me. If so, it would be pretty stupid design then, but that's the only way I can think of this not being a bug...

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:Sunken Chest in conclusion after all my testing is not a bug it is a complex achievement yes. Here's the thing it's one key a day only you can accumulate them and open more than one chest as long as those chests are not marked on the list. Once a chest is open it will remain so even after 5pm reset, chests only close once the full 10 markers list is complete.This is where people go wrong they don't check with the marker list they assume the 5PM PST will reset everything. It is the marker list that resets it all not the server time. B)

You're wrong. I checked with my marker list (I
also
have a methodical approach to repeating the achievement, working up from the bottom), and the four that I have "unchecked" are still allegedly open when I visit them. I last visited them before the end of my current achievement cycle, and I've never had a mob-dropped key, so it's one chest a day for me.

Agreed that the theory alone won't explain all the evidence. For example, I finished series 2 over a week ago and the chests haven't reset yet. (I didn't visit any chests until I had 10 keys; I collected 8 from dailies and two from random drops.)

So sure, @Hybarf Tics.2048 is probably correct that there are multiple cooldowns involved, not all of which expire on reset and some of which won't start until the Master Diver achievement is completed. However, not everyone waiting past that time is able to open any of the chests.

And, even if that hypothesis was correct, it's unintuitive and confusing. There are no other collections, chests, achievements that were intended to work like that.

Just to add my info. I am having the same problem. I finished the achievement twice. I finished 3 on the third round. Since then, none of the chests show as available. All chests show as open with no text above them when I swim up to them. Checking the achievement shows the 3 chests that I got in the third round with a checkmark. All others have no checkmark but are listed as looted.

I hope this gets fixed soon. Until then I am collecting keys and waiting.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:Just to repeat what was said above: ANet support have confirmed the bug is known, and a fix is being worked on.

However, an ANET dev hasn't popped in to say the same thing. I think that's why folks are still posting on it. Until we, as a group, hear it from the actual devs we reserve the right to post about it. And then even after.

Sure. You can do anything you please, once you have this information. Enjoy. Won't, of course, make a lick of difference, and like most bugs, you won't actually
get
a developer response, but hey, you do you.

They do have a liaison/communication team lead who could have responded and it may have helped with this specific concern of no communication. Don't need an actual dev to chime in, just some communication.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:Sunken Chest in conclusion after all my testing is not a bug it is a complex achievement yes. Here's the thing it's one key a day only you can accumulate them and open more than one chest as long as those chests are not marked on the list. Once a chest is open it will remain so even after 5pm reset, chests only close once the full 10 markers list is complete.This is where people go wrong they don't check with the marker list they assume the 5PM PST will reset everything. It is the marker list that resets it all not the server time. B)

You're wrong. I checked with my marker list (I
also
have a methodical approach to repeating the achievement, working up from the bottom), and the four that I have "unchecked" are still allegedly open when I visit them. I last visited them before the end of my current achievement cycle, and I've never had a mob-dropped key, so it's one chest a day for me.

Agreed that the theory alone won't explain all the evidence. For example, I finished series 2 over a week ago and the chests haven't reset yet. (I didn't visit any chests until I had 10 keys; I collected 8 from dailies and two from random drops.)

So sure, @Hybarf Tics.2048 is probably correct that there are multiple cooldowns involved, not all of which expire on reset and some of which won't start until the Master Diver achievement is completed. However, not everyone waiting past that time is able to open any of the chests.

And, even if that hypothesis was correct, it's unintuitive and confusing. There are no other collections, chests, achievements that were intended to work like that.

not multiple cooldowns. mi first round i opened 11: reopened the last that just respawn after completing the list. my second round was 7 days after 7 keys from dailies 2 droped from mobs, and the third i tried 11 days after, all keys from dailies achiev and forgot a day

Inasmuch as your experiences may reflect what you posted, the fact is, they don't reset at all for me, open, or unopen, checked or unchecked. I've checked every chest on the list (three opened, seven unopened) and all are completely absent in the map with respect to even having the OPTION to interact. The yellow "Sunken Chest" label is GONE on ALL of them. (reconfirmed today)

I do know, however, that until I received a random DROP of one of the keys (which until then had never happened before), I could literally open the same chest multiple times if one had a key for it. After that, all of the chests went on the AWOL list for interacting, open or not.

I had accomplished the achievement twice, and was working on the third one by the time that happened.

I think that if you have had a random key drop, and used it, that causes the bug (why, I have no clue), but I see other people interacting with each of them, and can't do it myself with or without a key (when it tells you you need a key). I have used about 8 characters to check to see if it's character-related as well, and none of them can "see" the label. So it appears to be account-based, and may have something to do with a bug brought on by a random key drop.

Hope that helps track this down, because while I've been able to do the daily to get the keys, I've not been able to open a chest for almost a week.

I did submit a ticket and got this:

We are sorry you are having this issue as many other players have been since the last update. The main issue at the moment appears to be the chest not resetting/being able to interact with. We wish there was something we can do, but at the time all we can do is investigate the issue at hand and let the appropriate team know. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we really do appreciate the feedback as this will help the Devs figure out what the cause may be. Perhaps the casting time that was added in the last update? Again, does not explain why the chest aren't resetting. However, you should keep your eyes peeled on the forums for the fix or any news from Anet. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/

Regards,

GM Potato GenieGuild Wars 2 Support Team

So this is a dev issue from the sound of it. Hopefully one of them will see the potential that somehow the random key drops may be part of it (anyone else with this problem get a random key?) and deal with it sometime in the near future. As long as the keys will work once the bug is fixed, and I can keep getting the keys, I'm okay with it, but since I maxed out on daily achieves, I'd really like a simpler way to get them like this than taking a 4 hour re-run of stories for 1 achievement point or something (which is about my only other option).

Throwing my 2 cents in: On the third pass through Master Diver. Stuck at 7/10 for two days. Ran a repair on the client with no change. Bugged chests are in Bloodtide Coast, Kessex Hills and Gendaran Fields. Checked two of the other chests (Harathi Hinterlands and Frostgorge Sound) just to see if they were working and they were not. I guess I'll just keep collecting keys until they fix it.