[Poll] Weapon for the next Elementalist Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A longbow with an 'arcane archerer' theme would be fantastic! Especially since a high pure-crit long ranged 'elite spec' isn't a thing yet. It'd be properly different from tempest and weaver. A higher focus on mobility for blinking around and the like might be neat too, with more soft-cc focused attacks on the longbow attunements to help keep the enemy at range. (And to differentiate it from the staff which is a bit more aoe/support focused.)

However, I did vote for a rifle purely because I want to see some type of Napoleonic light-armored rifle-user. I have no clue how it would work though. My original idea was to give it shouts so it could be like a rifle wielding field commander shouting orders in their brightly colored fancy coats. But tempest has shouts and that's as far as I got there. Arenanet is incredibly creative when they do set their minds to things though, and I would absolutely love to see them take 'elementalist rifle' and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

We have enough high damage builds, give us a heal/support build that can do something more than just big heal sustain. Heal tempest is cool but it just heals while all other healing builds like fb, herald or druid have heal and great utility, cc even.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:It makes sense : 1) no weapon replicated by conjures( hammer-axe-shield-shortbow-greatsword) and 2) no main hand again ( weaver sword ) or off hand (tempest warhorn). In both instance it's possible to use the idea of elementalists channeling elemental magic into projectiles for single target dmg with splash effect, still 1200 range...but what would the community love to see the most between the two?

P.S wanted to attach a picture to each choice, guess it's not possible:

You say no weapon replicated by conjures, yet you put a Longbow in for choosing? Calling it a Shortbow doesn't make it better especially when the skin exists as a Longbow skin.

So with that in mind, I'm throwing my hat in for Shield.

Scepter/Shield caster from GW1 was neat and it had a nice niche in certain PVP scenarios. Also come on. No one really uses the shield conjure outside of juking zerg engages in WVW. It could be made into an interesting off-hand for a specialization with great traits and some cool new mechanic like the Tempest had in overloads.

Shield bashing ele's spamming stuns. Yes. Very good. :trollface:

Shields would be keen and it would give an excuse to develop some new grand mechanic for ele such as what we saw in overloads for the Tempest. It would be the natural progression after swords and it was a niche set for players in GW1.

I think Anet could expand on it and make it really cool. But honestly we're running out of magical themed weapons and tropes. I wouldn't sleep if it wasn't shield. I'm just hoping it's cool and good.

@"Sodeni.6041" said:What weapon would you like to get for the next elementalist elite specialization?

Clarifications:I added an option for "other" weapons, too, so you can tell us what currently non-existant weapon you would like to get as an elementalist.You are only allowed to specify 10 poll options so I scrapped sword (offhand), and mace (mainhand/offhand or both). If you would like to get those weapons for the next elementalist elite specialization, vote for "other" and tell us why!

I would appreciate if you voted and told us why you'd like to see your chosen weapon for the next elementalist's elite specialization!

I would love greatsword but we already have the weaver spec for melee, I just do not see much on greatsword yet, pistols seem more likely.

Well, a rifle would give elementalists a 1500 range single target dps weapon. Something that fires beams and high velocity elemental projectiles. A power weapon? A condi weapon? A versatile weapon, that does different things depending on your attunement?

• Fire -> condi
  • Air -> power
  • water -> sustain
  • earth -> damage mitigation

Elemental pistols may be interesting too. Elemental pewpew flashyness? But we already have dagger for high speed stuff, so I'd cover the long range department first, then move on to the nice to have things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Weaponless, in the traditional sense. IMHO, traditional weapons for one that manipulates the elements seems limiting from a role-playing perspective, though I readily acknowledge it fits the specifics of the overall game mechanics.

Anyway, building on the Tempest and Weaver:

1 True elemental synergy across skill slots 1-5, in the spirit of dual-attack for Tempest

2 Use the ammo system to charge certain skills to enhance or alter. For example, expanding radius at the cost of recharge time, or morphing a PBAoE into a directional when combined with another element while charging

3 Cross-element skill chaining while switching to different elements at the cost of charge and cool-down penalty for each point in the chain (self-terminating chain based on chain progression timeout vs. coolzdown/charge cost)

Cheers!

I'd be up for just about anything, but I really love Arcane Archer archetypes (arcane gunslinger sounds fun too though). I chose shortbow because we already have an often-used 1200-range weapon, but I'd be cool with either. Shortbow seems like it'd feel like Ice Bow 2/3 skills mostly, and I like the feel of those.

The idea of a shield appeals to me too. Something of a supporty/tanky role similar to a chrono, without infringing on their territory too much.

Quite a few of you are picking greatsword. Can you tell me how you think it'd be flavorwise or how it would ideally 'feel' when played? I'm intrigued by the idea but it seems like it'd be heavy and slow. (I've played Reaper and Mesmer, so I don't know why I feel that way.)

• 1 month later...

Longbow..

Can swap attunements at will..

All weapons will become arcane type skills.

Changing attunements will apply secondary effects:Fire - add burning on hit.Water - heal on hit.Lightning - add vulnerability on hitEarth - protect on hit.

Elite skill. Apply All 4 attunements for a period of time.

Longbow is my choice. We already have shortbow (Ice Bow), axe (Flaming Axe), shield (Earth Shield), greatsword (Fiery Greatsword) and hammer (Lightning Hammer) as conjure skills so I'd like to get a different weapon instead.Elementalist is missing Mace, Longbow, Rifle, Pistol and Torch, Mace is melee, it would compete with Sword (and Dagger) so it's not worth it. Rifle and Pistol are good choices but I think other professions will get those first, plus other than Pistol for Mesmer, those two are not very magical so far.Which all leaves us with Torch and Longbow, Torch is an offhand, and I don't like getting another offhand. mainly because Dagger and Scepter both need some rework to be good enough, while our Offhand weapons, Focus and Dagger (and Warhorn with Tempest) are in better shape.

My top choice is a Longbow because it would give Elementalists a fast ranged weapon (Staff requires foes to stand still, plus most skills are slow), a mobile/fast long range weapon would be really nice.Second pick is a main hand Pistol option that could work well for a spellslinger elite spec. (unless Mesmer gets main hand pistol first and goes that route)