Sunken Chest Bug [MERGED]

Guest [Deleted User]

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@FlamingNipples.4176 said:It is not fixed at all. It would be nice if someone at Anet that KNEW what was going on would give us a timeline and specific information about the chest mechanics.It is extremely disappointing that this bug has existed for so long. I hope we are not beginning to see the decline is Anet responsiveness, which includes the delays in addressing the Scourge issue in WvW and rather slow release of new content as compared to the past.

@"FlamingNipples.4176" said:It is not fixed at all. It would be nice if someone at Anet that KNEW what was going on would give us a timeline and specific information about the chest mechanics.

ANet stopped doing that after players became more than a little grumpy because the interpreted ANet saying "our estimated time for fixing this is" as "we make a one hundred percent ironclad assurance that".

Likewise, the specific information about the mechanics is well known, and outside this thread filled with disinformation, there is no debate or confusion. All the guesswork about timeouts, etc, was initial player speculation about what caused the chests to remain open, before it was confirmed to be a bug, and has simply been repeated and amplified drowning out the actual answers.

@"tippolit.3591" said:It is extremely disappointing that this bug has existed for so long. I hope we are not beginning to see the decline is Anet responsiveness, which includes the delays in addressing the Scourge issue in WvW and rather slow release of new content as compared to the past.

It can be extremely hard to understand the scope or severity of the bug from the outside. For example, the use of harvesting tools that could have glyphs in them in recpies sounds like a simple bug, but turned out to be hard enough to fix that ANet simply replaced that ingredient rather than, eg, having the glyph return to the inventory.

We don't, and can't, know what is triggering this issue, or how complicated it is to resolve. It may be fixed in record time for all we know, even if it takes a few more weeks to ship. Speculating from that into "ANet are no longer responsive" is probably not very useful.

Also, there is no confirmed "Scourge issue" in WvW that I know of. There are players unhappy about it, but that isn't the same thing, and does not mean that ANet are "slow to fix the problem". They may not consider it a problem at all.

@tippolit.3591 said:

@FlamingNipples.4176 said:It is not fixed at all. It would be nice if someone at Anet that KNEW what was going on would give us a timeline and specific information about the chest mechanics.It is extremely disappointing that this bug has existed for so long. I hope we are not beginning to see the decline is Anet responsiveness, which includes the delays in addressing the Scourge issue in WvW and rather slow release of new content as compared to the past.

We are definitely not seeing the beginning of that because it's the same as how it has always been. There is really nothing unusual about their response or lack thereof to this.

I've completed the Master achieve 3 times and heading into my 4th it is currently showing (inside that achieve) that I need to open all 10 chests again. Zero chests are available as it shows all 10 complete in the list outside the main Master achieve and I've taken my current 8 keys around to each chest and all are open.

Looks like when the completion of the Master was done last, it failed to reset the chests. Given that each chest has a check "has this been opened today" and that each chest must also have a second check "has the Master achieve been completed since this was opened" I'm guessing the Master achievement is not flipping the second check switch back. Since I have 8 keys (one from a drop) that the bug was indeed introduced on or around the 1st of June (when the tracker says it was fixed).

Confused yet? Pretty sure I Just hurt myself with that mess, but it would be nice if Anet would post and state that this sort of double check gate is causing the issue.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Booey Bubblehead.4890" said:There have been 3 updates and sunken chest in Timberline Falls is still glitched. I thought they took action more quickly on things that block progress. Guess not.

They do; this doesn't actually block progress: you can still collect the keys, and when the chests are fixed you will be able to use them quickly. The most recent update was to address a specific exploit, so it is no surprise that they did not roll other bug fixes into that.

Only if they remove the time-gating as part of the fix.

I'm not sure what time gating you're talking about. You can only get one key a day but you can open as many chests a day as you have keys for. If you get enough keys to finish the achievement five times (the max), then stop farming keys.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to.

It depends a lot on what the bugs actually are. But, the time-gating is that one can only open a chest once per rotation (10 days). I hope that what we thought was time-gating simply turns out to be part of the bug.

But, if players are right that you can only open one chest per day (i.e. 10 per 10-day rotation), then not only is it time-gating, but it also means we cannot ever make up for having extra keys.

Players are not right that "you can only open one chest per day". Anyone who got a random key drop in addition to the daily key will be able to attest to that, if you don't believe me when I tell you that I have opened more than one chest in a single day.

Yeah, that's what I said. Actually, what I said was it depends on what the bugs actually are. I THINK that what people have attributed to time-gating is part of the set of bugs. However, I could be wrong; if I'm wrong, then there is time-gating, and it needs to be removed.

In fact, on the Wiki's talk page for the chests, I pointed out that I opened the same chest twice less than two minutes apart.

I don't think we really know what are the particulars of the chests, because we can't tell what might be bugs from what might be features. Yet.

@"Daddicus.6128" said:I don't think we really know what are the particulars of the chests, because we can't tell what might be bugs from what might be features. Yet.

Only, we do. We had weeks to determine the properties, including "you can open more than one chest in a day", and "you complete the 10 chest cycle, then you start again", from practical experience.

Literally the only support for this "time-gated" theory is from the threads here, while people speculated about "is it a bug, or is it some intentional limitation."

When ANet confirmed it was a bug, I would have thought that'd be the end of it, but apparently some folks are hugely emotionally invested in seeing trouble where there is none, so the rumor just won't go away. Which means every time a new person gets hit with the bug, and comes to the thread, they don't see the facts, they see these wild theories being tossed around, and so the problem spreads further...

Thanks for clearing up the time gating issue. It seems to be as I understood it.

For those worries about having useless keys, can't you just count how many chests you've opened and subtract that from 50. Then, gather that many keys and be done with Blood in the Water.

Or am I misunderstanding your concern?

• ArenaNet Staff

The team has identified the issue that caused this bug, and they will be moving toward testing and then deployment of a correction. While this is not something that will happen in the next day or two, it is on the “To-Do List” and it will be resolved as soon as the team is confident of the correction.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:The team has identified the issue that caused this bug, and they will be moving toward testing and then deployment of a correction. While this is not something that will happen in the next day or two, it is on the “To-Do List” and it will be resolved as soon as the team is confident of the correction.

Excellent news! Thanks for letting us know!

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Gop.8713" said:It's not that big of a deal since we can still collect keys. Once it's fixed you can just use ten per day until you're caught up . . .

...unless they are not reset per day but have a ten day cooldown. ;)

I think I'm going to cry.

There is no ten day cooldown. The whole idea came up when people hit by this bug were speculating -- before ANet said "yes, it's a bug" -- that maybe there was some strange cooldown we didn't understand.

Since @Gaile Gray.6029 came along, and confirmed it was a bug, and since we know for a fact that many players were able to open more than one chest in a day, andwe also know that they didn't get locked out instantly because we had people in their third cycle before they were locked out, we can be absolutely certain that there is no hidden timeout.

Please, don't spread this rumor any further. It's just confusing people who come here to the thread, see the most recent posts talking about this completely incorrect speculation we had waaay back when we didn't know even if it was a bug, and get upset about the whole thing.

We don't need to cause them any additional pain.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:The team has identified the issue that caused this bug, and they will be moving toward testing and then deployment of a correction. While this is not something that will happen in the next day or two, it is on the “To-Do List” and it will be resolved as soon as the team is confident of the correction.

Sometimes just a bit of helpful suggestions clears things up quite quickly. This is what I put in my updated support ticket.

Requesting status an third day since ticket submitted. According to ANet's Known Issue Tracker page: This issue was logged as resolved as of 06/01/18, yet according to the forum (Bugs: Game, Forum, Website - Sunken Chest Bug [Merged]) numerous people are still having the same issue as I am. Please update this ticket and you might want to change the known issue resolution back to unresolved. Also an official comment by a Dev in aforementioned bug web page would be quite helpful too.Thank you.Yalora Istairiea

Sent the email at 4:08pm and by 6:06pm they did one better than my Dev request, they moved it up the ladder to GAILE. Gaile you always come through for us, thank you.Oh and the Known Issue tracker page has been updated too.

@Sarpan.9074 said:Thanks for clearing up the time gating issue. It seems to be as I understood it.

For those worries about having useless keys, can't you just count how many chests you've opened and subtract that from 50. Then, gather that many keys and be done with Blood in the Water.

You're assuming that people will only want to grab chests for the achievements, but the swim-speed infusions have value as well.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Gop.8713" said:It's not that big of a deal since we can still collect keys. Once it's fixed you can just use ten per day until you're caught up . . .

...unless they are not reset per day but have a ten day cooldown. ;)

I think I'm going to cry.

There is no ten day cooldown. The whole idea came up when people hit by this bug were speculating -- before ANet said "yes, it's a bug" -- that maybe there was some strange cooldown we didn't understand.

Since @Gaile Gray.6029 came along, and confirmed it was a bug, and since we know for a fact that
many
players were able to open more than one chest in a day, andwe also know that they didn't get locked out instantly because we had people in their third cycle before they were locked out, we can be absolutely certain that there is no hidden timeout.

Please, don't spread this rumor any further. It's just confusing people who come here to the thread, see the most recent posts talking about this completely incorrect speculation we had waaay back when we didn't know even if it was a bug, and get upset about the whole thing.

We don't need to cause them any additional pain.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure he was kidding, hence the wink . . .

Ty again for the continued communication :)

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Sarpan.9074 said:Thanks for clearing up the time gating issue. It seems to be as I understood it.

You're assuming that people will only want to grab chests for the achievements, but the swim-speed infusions have value as well.

Aha. That makes sense. But still, given that, I don't get the angst over having keys that can't be used. Once the bug is fixed, chests can be opened willy-nilly, as far as I can tell.

While you are at it could you also make the keys be stored in the key ring? I don't see a reason why these keys should pile up in the inventory... :open_mouth: