Do you still play Guild Wars 1? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Do you still play Guild Wars 1?

I'm thinking of buy the first games but I don't know if it's worth it and I don't want to feel like I'm in a deserted game.

Do you still play Guild Wars 1? 109 votes

Yes, regularly
11%
RoseofGilead.8907Kiva.9012Tommo Chocolate.5870TheQuickFox.3826Thornwolf.9721Dreamy Lu.3865xXmadzillamonsterXx.7463nia.4725Brother.1504GunshotsByComputer.8051Ryrok.1302NoiseRen.2403 12 votes
Yes, every now and then.
35%
videoboy.4162Endless Soul.5178Danikat.8537Uden Reavstone.3426Ayrilana.1396Tachenon.5270Ashen.2907Widowmaker Z.4802ShiningSquirrel.3751Tasida.4085Etienne.3049Sanity Obscure.6054FrizzFreston.5290Ayakaru.6583Taelac.7036Chay.7852Crab Fear.1624Donutdude.9582Tycko Larsson.7829Kadsik.9281 39 votes
Yes, for achievements
10%
Kheldorn.5123Headcase.4618Kal Spiro.9745Moogri.1935GWMO.4785Leablo.2651Geiir.7603Nemo.8759Overlord RainyDay.2084Aldric the Slayer.5784Sinful.2165 11 votes
No, can't go back to an old game
14%
Ashantara.8731Cuddy.6247DeanBB.4268Plautze.6290GDchiaScrub.3241Hybarf Tics.2048Gemnaid.4219DiogoSilva.7089Sovari.7246Deimos.4263MarcellinoAlighieri.7194Joraan Adenard.2061Shikaru.7618Nash.3974Eekasqueak.7850aspirine.5839 16 votes
No, there's no one there
7%
mazut.4296Sylent.3165Stinger.4120Fetchquest.4529wrathmagik.3518Knuckle Joe.7408Phasendrache.1320Tikaru.7539 8 votes
No, GW2 is my life now
21%
Ariurotl.3718nottsgman.8206Just a flesh wound.3589Glider.5792Wizler.8192Mea.5491Sarision.6347Iron.4372Zaraki.5784Daddicus.6128Anna.7845Ray Koopa.2354hugo.4705Balthazzarr.1349Morlhach.4521zombyturtle.5980Phosphorite.6192Alora.6841CarolGam.2649LadyRhonwyn.2501 23 votes
<1

Comments

  • Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    I have to admit though, my visits to Guild Wars have been happening less and less.

    Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

    Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

  • No, because:

    • Spacebar causes you to follow/attack instead of jump (since there's no jumping)
    • No gliding
    • No mounts
    • Using skills roots the character in place (with few exceptions
    • It's mostly single player, except for towns

    Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    Sometimes, mainly to assist gw2 guildies who are working on HoM points.

  • GDchiaScrub.3241GDchiaScrub.3241 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, can't go back to an old game

    Better AI technically, but no jump.

    D:

    Holy Warriors of [Kazo] following Kazo doctrine guided by, Our Lord and Commander, Zudo in the holy Trinity of Him and his two firm glutes.

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I didn't answer because it's less than every now and then but very occassionally I do play to help a guildie get points in the hall of monuments.

  • gert.7698gert.7698 Member ✭✭✭

    I miss the answer ‘no, but i’m thinking of buying the game’

  • starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Like most modern games, GW2 is designed to monopolize time. Despite it being forgiving on breaks in play, or unstable play time, the time investments required are big enough that being away from them too long feels like a loss of productively. I can't logically break to go play GW1 and not feel like its cutting into my GW2 productivity. So in order to do so, the trip needs to be well worth my time for other reasons.

    But theres a problem..... GW1 is designed very similarly. And unlike GW2, wealth conversion via market mechanics was not designed in the core of GW1's reward system. Targeted farming is difficult, and crafting materials for armor incredibly rare even when farming for them. I want to go back to do more HOM achievements.... but the ones that I need are time investments that easily rank in weeks of effort, require specific items with incredibly low drop rates, or need substantial amounts of materials that cost a small fortune in plat. I'm also no longer passively farming gold to trade for armor mats, or I'd have to play a hard game of trade negotiations with other players. I don't have a huge glut of wealth to start with.....and what I do have was slowly gained via trash loot. Those that had a lot of plat probably spent a lot of time in UW or FoW, as the materials gained there are highly valuable....... I didn't have the interest/guildies at the time to do this more then a few runs per months.

    As much as I'd like to revisit GW1, I won't spend a significant amount of time in it without a specific goal in mind. And that gets harder every year, since its biggest draw was adventuring around with a good group of folks for the fun of it. But the more reward focused you become, or the fewer people around to party with, the more players focused into efficient farming areas at the exclusion of nearly everything else.

  • No, GW2 is my life now

    No I don’t play it anymore. It’s a good game but before I left there I got 50 /50 in the HoM and I don’t have a reason now to go back.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    “The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I go back for birthdays even though they stack.

  • Sylent.3165Sylent.3165 Member ✭✭✭
    No, there's no one there

    I really am tempted to go back but due to so few players and no auction house type system finding certain items and armors I want will just be an annoyance.

  • Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, regularly

    I keep playing there. There are so many things I do love and miss from it!

    • Menagerie.
    • Heroes & Henchies.
    • Guild Hall for everybody, some really nice with more nature.
    • Build template.
    • Hall of Monuments.
    • Cantha.
    • Vanquishing (areas).
    • FoW, Underworld and DoA.
    • The old version of LA that I liked a lot so simple, with lot of green. Generally, GW1 had a lot more green than GW2, what I prefer.
    • Some runs, like the Droknar one.
    • Seeing foes on compass.
    • And so on...............

    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

  • Nemo.8759Nemo.8759 Member ✭✭
    Yes, for achievements

    Just for HOM points

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:

    • Seeing foes on compass.

    I miss this.

  • aspirine.5839aspirine.5839 Member ✭✭✭
    No, can't go back to an old game

    It was the greatest game of it's time, and will forever be my favorite one. But for me now, the gameplay is not working compared to what I am used to in GW2.

  • Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018

    Delete please.

    Healing orbs are a mistake. Please delete them ANet.

  • Sovari.7246Sovari.7246 Member ✭✭
    No, can't go back to an old game

    I had good times with GW1 very cool armors, good stories/intriguing lore, fun pvp/pve. But yeah the lack of anything new is what makes me not login also the camera system feels the most dated I can't even zoom in to take a full body screenshot of my toon. It would take a bit of an overhaul for me to login daily like a wardrobe system/ up to date QoL features and have a population boost

  • Iron.4372Iron.4372 Member ✭✭
    No, GW2 is my life now

    You missed one option - Yes, to watch my achievements' because I achieved everything, what I had to achieve in PvE, and I have nothing to do out there. ;)

  • Brother.1504Brother.1504 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018
    Yes, regularly

    Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.

  • Rysdude.3824Rysdude.3824 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, GW2 is my life now

    Voted no. Mainly because GW2 is my first MMO ever. Never tried GW1.

  • GWMO.4785GWMO.4785 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, for achievements

    I recently bought the Platinum edition (Core + EotN). Basically to unlock certain things in the sequel. Did not like the first game. Cause i started with GW2 and it has so much more quality of live improvements compared to the origin. But after putting some hours, trying and ui changing, i started to enjoy it. May actually put some serious hours in it as well.

  • Stinger.4120Stinger.4120 Member ✭✭
    No, there's no one there

    Heh, I want to play GW1 but can get it as a gift. Buy this game is a high cost for me, with 150$ salary per month.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    I still play it every now and then. I started when Prophecies launched and quite a few weeks after Nightfall. A few years ago I bought everything again as I had forgotten my info.

    That actually reminds me that I still need to buy the remaining minis and make another attempt to beat Prismatic Ooze or Duncan to complete my HoM.

  • Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, for achievements

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    No it isn't. It's targeted at GW1 players, current or former. You, not playing GW1 ever, are not the target of the poll.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    I copy and pasted the thread title below exactly as it is shown. I bolded the key word that you missed.

    Do you still play Guild Wars 1?

  • Cuddy.6247Cuddy.6247 Member ✭✭✭
    No, can't go back to an old game

    I voted no but I personally don't because I have no interest in reinstalling it. I probably put about 2000 hours into my ritualist and completed every little nook and cranny. Did most, if not all, quests - got every skill, mapped every last inch of the map. I could make another class, but eh. It's just a completed game for me. I've done it all well to death. But it was a hell of a ride, so I wouldn't try to discourage you from buying the game if you're interested.

  • sitarskee.5738sitarskee.5738 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    Yep, it is a different game though so people who started with GW2 might not like it at all. You can play solo (with heroes or henchmen) almost the whole content but it is more fun to find people to play with you. Last time I logged in Kamadan was more crowded than GW2 Lions Arch. Part of them may have been chinese gold sellers but still. I recommend it as a game to play casually.

  • Yes, every now and then.

    I voted in the middle since 2 apply:

    Yes, regularly - This would be my only choice if there were any continuing development work on gw1. As it is, I might go back full time if I can find a good active guild.

    No, can't go back to an old game - This was the main reason I switched to gw2. Now that gw2 is also an old game, I'm considering going back to gw1.

    I think I've come to realize that I like gw2 for exploring solo and participating in the casual group HoT metas, but I prefer gw1 for playing content with a guild.

  • Dravyn.4671Dravyn.4671 Member ✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    I do sometimes because the classes are so much better than GW2 classes.

  • Overlord RainyDay.2084Overlord RainyDay.2084 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018
    Yes, for achievements

    I've returned recently to try and finish out my HoM, but it's slow going. I got 30/50 before GW2 came out, but I missed the game's heyday, and never did find a way to make decent money inGW1. I've just been just struggling along doing dailies and whatever I can accomplish with a all-hero team. It would take way too long for me to get GWAMM now, but I want to get 50/50, even if I have to cash out everything of value I've collected there.

  • No, can't go back to an old game

    I originally got GW1 for the HoM goodies. But I just really couldn't get into it. I think I finished post-searing Ascalon in Prophesies and gave up.

    Prince of Angels - Disney Prince with a Horrifying Power

  • Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You need an "other" category. I didn't play GW1 until I'd been in GW2 for a while. I wanted to get some HoM skins so I bought GW1 and had friends lead me at speed through the stuff needed to get points. Then the prime leader had a baby and suddenly guild GW1 runs ended, lol, so I'm still maybe one day going to get someone to help me dedicate a second thing (I think I have to do a whole meta chain or something to do that).

    But do I "still" play it? I'm not sure I ever functionally did play it. My answer would be "No, I tried it out a bit but that was it for me." I guess since your goal is to find out if there is an active player base and economy going on, you can put me down for a flat "No."

  • Oldirtbeard.9834Oldirtbeard.9834 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kheldorn.5123 said:

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    No it isn't. It's targeted at GW1 players, current or former. You, not playing GW1 ever, are not the target of the poll.

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    I copy and pasted the thread title below exactly as it is shown. I bolded the key word that you missed.

    Do you still play Guild Wars 1?

    In this nifty thing called experiments they have these groups called control groups which are not exposed to any part of an experiment; in this survey I'd argue having an option for people that never played would create a suitable control group and make this survey more scientific while getting a better representation of ANets population in general.

    I can only try, I only ask is if you disagree with my points at least admit you understand what I'm saying. Half the time I get agitated around here is because it seems like people just don't get what I'm saying at all.

    “The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

  • Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, for achievements

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

    @Kheldorn.5123 said:

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    No it isn't. It's targeted at GW1 players, current or former. You, not playing GW1 ever, are not the target of the poll.

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    I copy and pasted the thread title below exactly as it is shown. I bolded the key word that you missed.

    Do you still play Guild Wars 1?

    In this nifty thing called experiments they have these groups called control groups which are not exposed to any part of an experiment; in this survey I'd argue having an option for people that never played would create a suitable control group and make this survey more scientific while getting a better representation of ANets population in general.

    I can only try, I only ask is if you disagree with my points at least admit you understand what I'm saying. Half the time I get agitated around here is because it seems like people just don't get what I'm saying at all.

    I understand what you're saying. You are correct, but what you say is not correct in this particular poll.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, every now and then.

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

    @Kheldorn.5123 said:

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    No it isn't. It's targeted at GW1 players, current or former. You, not playing GW1 ever, are not the target of the poll.

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Oldirtbeard.9834 said:
    Never played it, this survey is flawed with out that option.

    I copy and pasted the thread title below exactly as it is shown. I bolded the key word that you missed.

    Do you still play Guild Wars 1?

    In this nifty thing called experiments they have these groups called control groups which are not exposed to any part of an experiment; in this survey I'd argue having an option for people that never played would create a suitable control group and make this survey more scientific while getting a better representation of ANets population in general.

    I can only try, I only ask is if you disagree with my points at least admit you understand what I'm saying. Half the time I get agitated around here is because it seems like people just don't get what I'm saying at all.

    This is not an experiment, scientific or otherwise.

    A simple question asking if those who had played GW1 in the past still do is completely unserved by a response option for those who never played GW1.

  • Overlord RainyDay.2084Overlord RainyDay.2084 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018
    Yes, for achievements

    @Brother.1504 said:
    Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.

    I wish I could have experienced GW1 in its prime. When I started playing, well after EotN, the meta was locked in and stale, or at least it was if you were stuck pugging it. It was always, "Oh, you're playing Ele? Here, paste in this SF nuke build template or get kicked." You actually get a little more freedom now that there's nobody around to tell you what you can and can't play.

    I don't miss trying to put together a PuG in GW1. Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for a monk before settling on a resto rit, arguing about builds for another 15 minutes, and then having half the party ragequit before you got to the dungeon door because the ranger forgot frozen soil. GW2 is definitely the better game for the solo player. Sure GW1 is easier to tackle solo with a full hero team, but it's a lonely time.

  • No, GW2 is my life now

    No, I just cannot get used to the fact that you can stuck behind the smallest height difference (due to no jumping). Otherwise, I probably would have.

  • Brother.1504Brother.1504 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, regularly

    @Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:

    @Brother.1504 said:
    Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.

    I wish I could have experienced GW1 in its prime. When I started playing, well after EotN, the meta was locked in and stale, or at least it was if you were stuck pugging it. It was always, "Oh, you're playing Ele? Here, paste in this SF nuke build template or get kicked." You actually get a little more freedom now that there's nobody around to tell you what you can and can't play.

    I don't miss trying to put together a PuG in GW1. Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for a monk before settling on a resto rit, arguing about builds for another 15 minutes, and then having half the party ragequit before you got to the dungeon door because the ranger forgot frozen soil. GW2 is definitely the better game for the solo player. Sure GW1 is easier to tackle solo with a full hero team, but it's a lonely time.

    I’m lucky. My gw1 alliance is still very active. Daily elite dungeons and zq missions. Even seeing brand new players joining up.

  • Game of Bones.8975Game of Bones.8975 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I miss some of the professions, all my characters had obby armor, MTSC, and the guild/alliance aspect.

    "That's what" -- She

  • Yes, every now and then.

    I play it now and then. There's ALOT of content that I haven't seen yet, although I own the complete serie for many years, way before GW2. But I prefer to play solo. If I bought the companions/mercenaries (NPC's to fill up your group) I'm sure I'd be spending lots more time and play each class.
    But my concern is that ArenaNet would pull the GW1 plug soon after buying these additions. It's not that I distrust them, but business is business.

  • Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

    @Grampybone.3716 said:
    I play it now and then. There's ALOT of content that I haven't seen yet, although I own the complete serie for many years, way before GW2. But I prefer to play solo. If I bought the companions/mercenaries (NPC's to fill up your group) I'm sure I'd be spending lots more time and play each class.
    But my concern is that ArenaNet would pull the GW1 plug soon after buying these additions. It's not that I distrust them, but business is business.

    Didn't even think about that possibility. I'm thinking of buying the whole series. I understand that there won't be as many people but I just hope that I won't be completely alone, and based on the poll, I won't. I want to at least play the campaigns through and through. I'm really getting it for the experience and lore. There has been a lot of positive comment about it.

  • Zhaneel.9208Zhaneel.9208 Member ✭✭
    edited June 16, 2018
    Yes, every now and then.

    Definitely give GW1 a try! It has all of Jeremy Soule's original music and is a really great game. The skill system is very flexible (kind of like a deck of cards). Mostly I log in to participate in the festivals and collect goodies. The missions are still a lot of fun and the areas are gorgeously designed, if somewhat dated by now. I really hope AreanaNet does not take GW1 offline before GW2. :/ Please take advantage and play it for the story if nothing else. It's great to see active players and guilds still going strong after all these years.

    Honestly, I play it more than GW2 lol. I've been working a lot more and the mechanics in GW2 just give me a headache now. I'll come back to play the story one day, when I have more time. ESO has been my MMO of choice for lore, story, questing, housing, etc.

    @Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:

    @Brother.1504 said:
    Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.

    I wish I could have experienced GW1 in its prime. When I started playing, well after EotN, the meta was locked in and stale, or at least it was if you were stuck pugging it. It was always, "Oh, you're playing Ele? Here, paste in this SF nuke build template or get kicked." You actually get a little more freedom now that there's nobody around to tell you what you can and can't play.

    I don't miss trying to put together a PuG in GW1. Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for a monk before settling on a resto rit, arguing about builds for another 15 minutes, and then having half the party ragequit before you got to the dungeon door because the ranger forgot frozen soil. GW2 is definitely the better game for the solo player. Sure GW1 is easier to tackle solo with a full hero team, but it's a lonely time.

    It was so fun in it's prime. I was there playing through Nightfall and EotN. Loved every precious second of it. Haha, it's true, the pugging was a little bit ridiculous at times, but once you did get a group together it was pretty epic. That's a good point about builds and what not, people are probably less choosy depending on the dungeon you are running and the difficulty level.

  • Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

    @Zhaneel.9208 said:
    Definitely give GW1 a try! It has all of Jeremy Soule's original music and is a really great game. The skill system is very flexible (kind of like a deck of cards). Mostly I log in to participate in the festivals and collect goodies. The missions are still a lot of fun and the areas are gorgeously designed, if somewhat dated by now. I really hope AreanaNet does not take GW1 offline before GW2. :/ Please take advantage and play it for the story if nothing else. It's great to see active players and guilds still going strong these after all these years.

    Honestly, I play it more than GW2 lol. I've been working a lot more and the mechanics in GW2 just give me a headache now. I'll come back to play the story one day, when I have more time. ESO has been my MMO of choice for lore, story, questing, housing, etc.

    @Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:

    @Brother.1504 said:
    Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.

    I wish I could have experienced GW1 in its prime. When I started playing, well after EotN, the meta was locked in and stale, or at least it was if you were stuck pugging it. It was always, "Oh, you're playing Ele? Here, paste in this SF nuke build template or get kicked." You actually get a little more freedom now that there's nobody around to tell you what you can and can't play.

    I don't miss trying to put together a PuG in GW1. Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for a monk before settling on a resto rit, arguing about builds for another 15 minutes, and then having half the party ragequit before you got to the dungeon door because the ranger forgot frozen soil. GW2 is definitely the better game for the solo player. Sure GW1 is easier to tackle solo with a full hero team, but it's a lonely time.

    It was so fun in it's prime. I was there playing through Nightfall and EotN. Loved every precious second of it. Haha, it's true, the pugging was a little bit ridiculous at times, but once you did get a group together it was pretty epic. That's a good point about builds and what not, people are probably less choosy depending on the dungeon you are running and the difficulty level.

    Your comment's enthusiasm is really infectious. I probably will have a go at it. The heroes/henchmen intrigue me as well as the build combinations. Is the whole content for the series (Prophecies to EoTN) entirely soloable? I would rather not get stuck at some point in the campaign because I need a group and I just can't find one.

  • Zhaneel.9208Zhaneel.9208 Member ✭✭
    edited June 16, 2018
    Yes, every now and then.

    @Martnor.1746 said:

    @Zhaneel.9208 said:
    Definitely give GW1 a try! It has all of Jeremy Soule's original music and is a really great game. The skill system is very flexible (kind of like a deck of cards). Mostly I log in to participate in the festivals and collect goodies. The missions are still a lot of fun and the areas are gorgeously designed, if somewhat dated by now. I really hope AreanaNet does not take GW1 offline before GW2. :/ Please take advantage and play it for the story if nothing else. It's great to see active players and guilds still going strong these after all these years.

    Honestly, I play it more than GW2 lol. I've been working a lot more and the mechanics in GW2 just give me a headache now. I'll come back to play the story one day, when I have more time. ESO has been my MMO of choice for lore, story, questing, housing, etc.

    @Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:

    @Brother.1504 said:
    Gw1 still a great game in 2018. Some of the best build craft ever in gaming. Hopefully anet keeps drawing inspiration from it.

    I wish I could have experienced GW1 in its prime. When I started playing, well after EotN, the meta was locked in and stale, or at least it was if you were stuck pugging it. It was always, "Oh, you're playing Ele? Here, paste in this SF nuke build template or get kicked." You actually get a little more freedom now that there's nobody around to tell you what you can and can't play.

    I don't miss trying to put together a PuG in GW1. Nothing like waiting 30 minutes for a monk before settling on a resto rit, arguing about builds for another 15 minutes, and then having half the party ragequit before you got to the dungeon door because the ranger forgot frozen soil. GW2 is definitely the better game for the solo player. Sure GW1 is easier to tackle solo with a full hero team, but it's a lonely time.

    It was so fun in it's prime. I was there playing through Nightfall and EotN. Loved every precious second of it. Haha, it's true, the pugging was a little bit ridiculous at times, but once you did get a group together it was pretty epic. That's a good point about builds and what not, people are probably less choosy depending on the dungeon you are running and the difficulty level.

    Your comment's enthusiasm is really infectious. I probably will have a go at it. The heroes/henchmen intrigue me as well as the build combinations. Is the whole content for the series (Prophecies to EoTN) entirely soloable? I would rather not get stuck at some point in the campaign because I need a group and I just can't find one.

    It is definitely do-able with henchmen and heroes. This is just my own take on the games in terms of pacing, but Prophecies is a little bit slower to get through, just because of the story/mission requirements . Factions is pretty quick to get through and Nightfall is a ton of fun, if you like mobs of creatures attacking, which makes for some fast-paced gameplay. The AI in Nightfall is pretty decent and makes for some interesting scenarios. I would recommend starting with either Factions or Nightfall for those reasons. If you absolutely must know all the lore/background information to GW2 than Prophecies would be a great place to start. I can understand how people in this thread may have been turned off by no jumping mechanics, just because it's sort of a staple now in gaming and RPG's. But you get used to it, if the other mechanics peak your interest.

    Also glad to hear it! :D GW1 was and always will be a very unique gaming experience and I hope you have fun with it!

  • Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2018
    No, GW2 is my life now

    I played GW1 for a few weeks a decade ago. I didn't like it because of the Hero system and everything was too instanced. GW2 for the win! :)

  • Yes, every now and then.

    There are no official GW1 forums, but if you want to connect with other active players, here are a few places to check out:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/
    https://guildwarslegacy.com/forum/

    and if you are a fanatic about pre-searing Ascalon, there's:

    http://presearing.boards.net/

  • Aira.7360Aira.7360 Member ✭✭

    Yes there are still some people playing it http://steamcharts.com/app/29720

  • Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018

    @Tasty Pudding.3764 said:
    There are no official GW1 forums, but if you want to connect with other active players, here are a few places to check out:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/
    https://guildwarslegacy.com/forum/

    and if you are a fanatic about pre-searing Ascalon, there's:

    http://presearing.boards.net/

    I heard that pre-searing ascalon was a popular area but I didn't realise there was a "community" dedicated to it. Isn't just the early game area?

  • sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

    i want to but i can't, GW2 is so frikin easy and dumb down it makes GW1 look like nightmare mode in comparison.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2018
    No, can't go back to an old game

    If GW1 had the advanced game mechanics that GW2 has, I probably would. But I have finished the story multiple times and don't see much I can do there anymore (I have to admit, though, that I am getting nostalgic quite often, specifically when I encounter yet another silly GW2 plot or annoying kiddy/teen dialogue that sound like they were taken out of some bad Marvel super hero comic rather than a classy novel - GW1's writing was just so much better for the most part, and I sincerely miss it).

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.