Please save progress inside story instances in case of lost connection!

BraKet.3570

Want to chime in here. Agree 100 times over. Just got kicked out of a personal story instance after killing the big boss and just before the reward. So we get to do it again. Happened while 2 players were in from different parts of the country - both players got kicked out at the same time - so not a local ISP problem.

@Slash Tar.9527 said:Want to chime in here. Agree 100 times over. Just got kicked out of a personal story instance after killing the big boss and just before the reward. So we get to do it again. Happened while 2 players were in from different parts of the country - both players got kicked out at the same time - so not a local ISP problem.

If the story instance openner got kicked..everyone else gets kicked out at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Tried Hearts and Minds 3 different times today. Disconnected every time. Same thing happened with multiple other instances, including the final mission of PoF as well. I have spent hours of extra time redoing instances now. It is absurd.

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, keep getting disconnected during Hearts & Minds. It's not at all fun.

Please, ANet, follow the suggestion of either the OP - save partway through long episodes (Hearts & Minds has obvious save points available) - or at least of the second post, to allow you to continue progress if you rejoin an episode in a certain window of time, as apparently you did in GW1.

I had a similar issue recently.. Im thinking if they havent responded to this thread in all this time, maybe people can start recording this? Also, if it was me in some of these situations Id write a ticket, point to this thread, as well as request the rewards and completion set to that character. They may make it right that way for now.

@Zedek.8932 said:The question is, however, why are you being disconnected?

In another thread about this, ANet have acknowledged this is a real problem for a small number of players, but that they are yet to identify any root cause. I can tell you that there is no obvious network trouble for several of them, having worked with them to check network diagnostics, and tcpdump level traces. So, while this is unquestionably the right fix, it is also hard to argue that it is a short term one.

@Jasmine.8195 said:

@Zedek.8932 said:Excelsior.

The question is, however, why are you being disconnected? I have a regular consumer connection via Cable and I don't disconnect "randomly", no matter to what server.

The more interesting question is why are we only disconnected during story instances, most often at the very end when a cutscene or reward is about to be given? Happens to me quite a bit, but only for stories. I agree with the OP, please SAVE progress and give us a short period of time to reconnect and resume the instance.

My theory is that the disconnect is caused by some network device, possibly the router, that is "forgetting" the connection when it goes idle for 20-30 seconds, and that causes the disconnect. The GW2 traffic drops to literally zero in that time.

I'm curious to know, of people hitting this, what routers y'all have, brand and model. Also, if you wanna tcpdump or whatever the connection during a disconnect, I'd be happy to see if it also matches the same pattern.

Slippy, your offer here is as welcome as in the other thread, but here, especially, it may help to stick to the original topic: why not Save Progress?

Yes, ANet is aware of the problem and searching for the cause. But as the issue has persisted for years - whether it's for a "small number of players" is debatable - whatever the cause, the solution of a Save seems sensible.

How about it, ANet? You already save progress to restore a (defeated) player to a checkpoint within an instance. Allowing players to return to that checkpoint if dumped outside the instance offers a lot value for frustrated players.

• 1 month later...

@"BraKet.3570" said:I just spent 45 minutes inside a personal story instance ("The Departing" from PoF) only to be randomly disconnected from the server at the very last minute (while listening to an NPC's offer, censored to prevent spoilers). Just 2 more minutes and I would have finished the mission. Now I have to do everything all over again. This has happened at least 5 times since PoF was released, but previously I did not lose as much progress and I did this time. It's very frustrating, but can easily be averted by saving progress and starting from the last checkpoint if the player gets disconnected.

I understand that sometimes disconnections happen, that's just part of playing an online game. But why can't the game just save my progress so that I won't have to restart from the beginning if I get disconnected? There are already checkpoints within the instance in case of death, can't they just be saved so that resuming the story resumes from the checkpoint?

Honestly, story missions are simply not fun for me anymore. I have to do everything as quickly as possible, out of fear of being disconnected and losing my progress. I can't just stop and enjoy the story. It's making me very anxious and ruining my fun. I'm seriously considering leaving the game because of this. I have very limited time to play, and having to do this 45 minute story mission all over again is a complete waste of my time.

Thank you for your consideration.

This is happening to me in the same personal story instance. Without spoilers, this story instance takes a LONG time to complete, and I keep getting disconnected at this exact point at the end listening to the NPC's offer. I have done this twice and I really do not want to do this a third time without knowing it will actually go through this time.

I am 100% in favor of checkpoints in story instances, especially these really long-winded ones...

Been suffering this on several storyline missions in HOT and its very frustrating. Took 5 attenpts to complete Prisoners of the Dragon' and now its affecting Living World Storyline 'Confessor's Stronghold'. I have a 150MB Fibre connection and all my graphics settings are down to minimal.How many users will it take for AN to fix the problem? I don't think its a great deal of work to allow to continuity from the last checkpointI'm an occasional gamer and have been playing GW2 for about a year, but now these issues are occuring frequently

I would rather have the constant disconnects before/after cutscenes fixed that have been an issue for several months to a year now. Can barely get through any instances that have any cutscene (or dialogue for PS) without having the cinematic icon show up over my head and DC, often at the end of an instance (particularly The Departing mission). I do not think it is an issue on my end since I had no issues prior to around a year ago on the same PC and connection, and it almost never DCs outside of these specific conditions and runs perfectly otherwise.

• 4 months later...

These types of bugs can be extremely hard to fix , unless Anet can reliably reproduce the bug themselves, and given the number of variables that exist when players from all over the world log in to Anets servers, which don't exist in house its a extremely tuff problem to solve.Checkpoints in instances is also very hard to implement, as the instance doesn't actually exist in the world and vanishes as soon as theres no one in it, which is what happens when a DC occurs.

I don't know what happens if you close the game, but I fell through the floor in the last story chapter. I had to relog, since I couldn't get out otherwise.

Upon relogging I spawned outside of the story instance. Upon reentering again, I was allowed to continue just after the last "story event" that I successfully completed in that story instance, which was halfway through the story mision.

So, they definetely safe some sort of progress inside these missions and they have some checkpoints in place where you can start the mission again

• 1 month later...

Why is this bug still happening after like a year. I have been trying to do the story at the end of HOT for like 5 days now. About 6 times a day and I still get DC in video at the end. :( And then they bring another add on out POF instead of fixing the first issue. Unbelivable. NOT HAPPY

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having the same issue. Most of the time, just before the reward section. This cannot possibly be an internet connection issue.If it was, it would happen randomly during the story, not almost always when you are done and the game is about to give you the reward.

I even tried several of the suggestions like "pressing the movement keys" while it is doing the cut scene.

I was playing with two other players in the same room and a third person in another province and the game would often drop one, two or three people, whether or not one of them was the host.

You should be able to rejoin the instance if at least one person is still in it, like you can when you do a dungeon.

But just having saved check points would at least something.

I was a programmer/analyst for 36 years. The rule is "save your work as often as possible so you won't mind doing it over again if something happens"

• 5 months later...

@Zedek.8932 said:Leaving the instance totally is literally like disconnecting, so I would reconnect into a buggy state all over. That's why I am pretty happy the instance is being cancelled alltogether.

That's not really an issue, as soon as progress is saved, the enter dialog could be contain a restart-button and a resume-button.

A well-done checkpoint system could be even used to recover from buggy-states.

A disconnect close to the end of a long instance hit hard, but.an buggy state that doesn’t let you finish makes me really upset.

• 3 months later...

Just want to add to this. Incredibly frustrating, especially when the instances are so long. just played about 30 minutes defeating the 4 ruler things in PoF, after I had killed them all I accidentally clicked on guild hall and was taken out of the instance. Had to start from the beginning. Have also DCed a few times in long instances and had to replay the whole thing. Seems silly when there are checkpoints saved. Why make us play the same thing over again? Waste of time and makes me want to go play another game when this happens.

• 1 year later...

New to the forums here, hello... Old thread but wanted to join in adding my own.

Currently doing Path of Fire and have just defeated the Facet Guardian as a solo fight - it took me two hours (!) but thankfully I was not disconnected -because I want to train up my Necromancer's elite skills (Reaper) by getting hero challenges done around the area.

However, before carrying on with this I went back to complete Victor or Death (personal story, level 80) as the last time I got killed trying to defeatthe Mouth of Zhaitan and had to give up (life and gaming are often in disagreement over personal priorities at any given time): this time I thoughtthat, having a few more skills, I may fare better in surviving this encounter.

Thus, armed with patience, I did the entire instance from the beginning - defeating the many undead and small bosses, collecting the power cores,surviving the three giants' attacks on the airship - and managed to bring down the three Orrian towers plus the various enemies around the plateau. . .then, suddenly, I was disconnected from the server.

Yes, time wasted and a sense of annoyance...

The fun gets taken out as I like to solo stories, instances, adventures, etc. mainly due to the unpredictability of when I play the game: I just do nothave a way of being online at the same time as other people, by agreement... and trying to quickly join a party of players as a spare-of-the-momentaction is often unreliable, i.e. you have to be in the right place at the right time, with a busy session with people you can approach and also therehave to be people who understand your language (not everyone has English as a workable language to communicate with) when you say 'hello'.

The fact that you solo is a big no-no for repeating long fights after being randomly disconnected and kicked back to the very beginning of a chapter/instance: as I said, even with dodging, using the facets of darkness, and employing my ranged weapon, and constantly going at the Facet Guardian,the non-playing characters (Lady Kasmeer, Canach, and Rytlock) do not do much damage at all and only really help with reviving you or killing thesmaller Facets (which saves time for getting the little spheres for the special skills). This means that even being a 'keyboard dancing' master betweensynchronising positioning, dodging, collecting special skills (the light/darkness spheres) and targeting your spells on the monster at the appropriatetime, it can still take a long time to do a fight like this solo. I had read up on the fight and decided on minions to help with killing facets quicker andalso trying to keep them away from me, so that was how I planned. I am proud to have done it solo but now, of course, I know how hard the nextfew fights are likely to be, though mechanics and damage may differ from one major enemy to the next.

All I would say is that disconnecting is not for people who game as parents and who work for a living and have limited time... I enjoy the map explorationside of the game more than the endless fighting, it has to be said... It seems that the big fights are not time-efficient when done as a solo character(especially not if you are relatively fresh from achieving Level 80 - though I am now +8 (i.e. eight levels up within Level 80): it really screams for groupingas the only way to avoid the tediousness of long fights that you may possibly be in danger of repeating, should you be disconnected.

I wonder if ArenaNet will change this in the future... and as other users suggested here, add more checkpoints so that you did not have to bust your brainsover the same fights each time.

Cheersx