Your favorite PC voice actors!

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:When he nails the accent, I think male sylvari is my favourite. However, he's quite inconsistent - he slips up fairly frequently, and you can tell that he's not actually British.

So I voted male charr - though that might just be because I play as male charr more than anyone else so I've got used to it.

@"Andy.5981" said:1) anyone that mispronounces Wyvern in that horrible cut short Wee Vern manner, it an old English word from the French and we over here in the UK say it Whyvern. It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

I haven't noticed that happening (when does anyone say "wyvern"?), but don't forget all the people who mispronounce golem, jotun, and - arguably - Jormag.

Yes he is normally pretty good at doing a "British" accent, well a sort of Posh English accent, but as you say, he does make mistakes. It is quite funny how the 'cut glass' upper class accent is perceived to be a "British" accent when it couldn't be further from the truth. That said if they voiced them in some of the local dialects we have here in the UK the vast majority of Americans would have difficulty in understanding them!

As for the Wyvern pronunciation, for some reason I've got in my head that Canach says it at some point.

I've always said Jotun and Jormag as Yotun and Yormag (my apologies to any Scandanavian players if this isn't correct), rather than" Jot tun" and "Jaw mag"

Golem should be Go Lem rather than Gol em

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Andy.5981 said:

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:When he nails the accent, I think male sylvari is my favourite. However, he's quite inconsistent - he slips up fairly frequently, and you can tell that he's not actually British.

So I voted male charr - though that might just be because I play as male charr more than anyone else so I've got used to it.

@Andy.5981 said:1) anyone that mispronounces Wyvern in that horrible cut short Wee Vern manner, it an old English word from the French and we over here in the UK say it Whyvern. It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

I haven't noticed that happening (when does anyone say "wyvern"?), but don't forget all the people who mispronounce golem, jotun, and - arguably - Jormag.

Yes he is normally pretty good at doing a "British" accent, well a sort of Posh English accent, but as you say, he does make mistakes. It is quite funny how the 'cut glass' upper class accent is perceived to be a "British" accent when it couldn't be further from the truth.

I think it is mostly an attempt to hit "Received Pronunciation", without actually understanding what goes into that, plus a bit of the whole "this is what TV does". Not that this makes it less entertaining. Possibly more, since I'm used to Australian English, a horrible fusion of UK and US tropes...

I wish I coulda voted for the F-Sylvari voice too on the poll. It is definitely a very, very close second.

I think you are right, though at least the GW2 Voice Actors haven't managed to emulate what has to be the undisputed worse case of an American attempting a British accent. That award in my opinion is held by Dick Van Dyke attempting a "Cockney" accent in Mary Poppins

"Chim chimineyChim chimineyChim chim cher-ee!A sweep is as luckyAs lucky can be"

Hilarious (almost as Hilarious as the rude word filter almost completely filtering his name!!)

Jennifer Hale all the way, she does a great job with the Sylvari voice and it's one of the things in new episodes I look forward to hearing.

It always sounds so expressive and dimensional, you can feel the frustration and tension of the commander during the story.

Eh, Human Male maybe? Tbh I only played Human Male and Female and Female Sylvari. I've accompanied a Male Charr through his story too.

Most of my chars are Human Female, because Fashion Wars, but the Human Female voice sounds like she is always out of breath and is frustrated. Like she is always yelling and takes a sharp breath before each line. It kinda gets on my nerves. Human Male also has this sort of "sickness", but at least not to that extent.

I didn't vote because I really enjoy all of them, and all of them shine at different moments. Human male has been a reasonable fit for my main all these years, and he really impressed me with his rendering of the dazed Commander waking up in the Awakened jail cell in Istan. Norn male is Matt Mercer, and I've joined the ranks of the Critters for season 2 of Critical Role and discovered what a phenomenally decent, kind, and talented human being he is. I also have the Babylon 5 memories to make me like Norn female despite how others have dissed her over the years. Male and female asura totally nail the attitude. I love male and female sylvari voices and their sense of wonder (though I could sure do with a re-take of the male asura's jumping, lifting, and mats gathering grunts, he sounds like he's straining something during a bio break -- the rest of what he does is good, however). The charr are appropriately blunt and semi-surly, just all the VA are great.

I really loved hearing Jennifer Hale voicing the female sylvari player character prior to the Path of Fire expansion (and HoT? Haven't and will never play it), which I do not like.

I understand the reasons behind the change in vocal presentation of the character's lines (war-weary, hard decisions, all the death, etc.), but understanding why it has changed does not mean I have to like it.

I no longer hear any voice actors anyway as I've been playing with dialogue muted at all times due to annoying voice elements everywhere you go in the game (so many are still not covered when muting other player elements). As it is a hassle to have to constantly raise and lower dialogue volume because of sounds coming from other players being nearby, I just leave it off all the time now - which is sad as there many voice lines I do enjoy hearing, but not enough to weather the storm of annoying sounds at all times just to hear these enjoyable ones on rare occasions.

I literally deleted my first character not long after launch, a male Sylvari, because the voice annoyed me soooo much. I gave up on the game soon after, when I couldn't find a character that was relatable/enjoyable to play. Came back a couple years later and rolled a female Sylvari and Jennifer Hale singled-handedly saved the game for me.

Female Norn and female/male Human aren't annoying, but they didn't "click" with me. The rest I actively do not enjoy and that's the trouble with voice acting in games, where games without voice overs allow the player to imagine the characters in a way that works for them.

@StinVec.3621 said:I really loved hearing Jennifer Hale voicing the female sylvari player character prior to the Path of Fire expansion (and HoT? Haven't and will never play it), which I do not like.

I understand the reasons behind the change in vocal presentation of the character's lines (war-weary, hard decisions, all the death, etc.), but understanding why it has changed does not mean I have to like it.I have been feeling the same way unfortunately. She had a strong, yet pleasant and curious demeanor in the original content up to living world season 2. She seems a little ill tempered and a tad intolerant now, but I guess we have to take the good with the bad! :)

@"Andy.5981" said:My favourite? The person who voices Glint. Not quite sure who this is to be honest.

Least Favourite, there are two -

1) anyone that mispronounces Wyvern in that horrible cut short Wee Vern manner, it an old English word from the French and we over here in the UK say it Whyvern. It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

2) whoever voiced the Kodan called Sun Warming in Bitterfrost Frontier. You can practically see her pinching her nose as she spoke the words creating a nasally voice.

Agreed on your two points. The pronunciation that tweaks my ear each time I hear it is when Trahearn (or anyone else) says "Clawr Island". I keep thinking "There's no 'R' in claw..." And interestingly on point #2 is that I'm pretty sure Sun Warming didn't always sound that way. When Bitterfrost Frontier first came out her voice didn't sound as nasal. Then at some update the nasal sound suddenly become much more prominent. I recall people in map chat saying "Did this kodan just catch a cold?"

My vote goes for the voice actor for male asura. He does such a good job of capturing how the PC would speak being from the "master race".

All I know is I had to delete my female Sylvari Guardian because she yells in the same exact voice/inflection as the Krait witches. It's really grating and I could stand no more. I don't mind them using the same voice actor - but at least make an effort to sound a LITTLE different for the different roles.

@"Biff.5312" said:All I know is I had to delete my female Sylvari Guardian because she yells in the same exact voice/inflection as the Krait witches. It's really grating and I could stand no more. I don't mind them using the same voice actor - but at least make an effort to sound a LITTLE different for the different roles.

Huh, sounds like me and the "Might Makes Right" declaration every time you get might. It ... just didn't sit well with me, and happened too often, and I just stopped playing that character because of it. :)

Colleen O'Shaughnessey (Female Asura)

You're dumb. You'll die, and you'll leave a dumb corpse.I majored in pain, with a minor in suffering.

Structural integrity... compromised.Retaliation: Go ahead, hit me!Bleeding: That's 'my' blood!Frozen: Going hypothermic!Burning: Burning, burning!

It's not showing off if you earned it!Statistically speaking, this is rather rare.May all your theories be sound.

I'm in love with Colleen O'Shaughnessey (Female Asura).
Her voice on my female Asura is so ADORABLE AND BADASS!She sounds so cute yet so Cool and there is so many things I like about her. Her voice captures my Asura's appearance.

But I also love the Female Charr voice too!And I love the Male Charr voice (Old & New)And I love the Male Asura voice!Love the Male Sylvari voice too!!!!!!

Actually, I love them all! Male & Female!

But Colleen O'Shaughnessey (Female Asura) will ALWAYS be my Favorite! ? Her voice makes me fall in love with my female Asura to the point that I WISH I was HER in real life... Even though I'm a guy. ? My Asura is like the Female version of me if I ever get reincarnated.

Although I appreciate each of the talented cast members, I had to go with April Stewart. She has sort of become the embodiment of Guild Wars for me, as she's been with the franchise for so long (IIRC she had a small role as the narrator in Prophecies but started voicing the PC in Nightfall). It'd be extremely hard to imagine my main character being voiced by anyone else.

I love the change in the tone of the PC's voice that's clearly audible in her performance throughout GW2, from a calm and sophisticated noble to a determined, war-torn badass who doesn't have time for anyone's nonsense. Especially since LW:S3 you've been able to hear a lot more of the different nuances of emotion in her delivery, which just make the PC feel a lot more like a real character that's part of the story.

Me personally have always been playing as Humans most ever since from the start since my love to their love and from GW1. But hearing the female human is abit annoying. So I really like to changing through my 71 characters to give them all screen time here and then, specially to play with another race feels good and it's enjoyable to hear these lovely 10 voice actors from time to time. :)Cregath just wrote the exact same thing I feel about the female human voice,

@"Cregath.7628" said:Most of my chars are Human Female, because Fashion Wars, but the Human Female voice sounds like she is always out of breath and is frustrated. Like she is always yelling and takes a sharp breath before each line. It kinda gets on my nerves. Human Male also has this sort of "sickness", but at least not to that extent.

I couldn't agree more. Althought I have most human female characters aswell, :lol:I really like Female Sylvari's voice, she's my favorite one.My list, most likely I dislike Charrs overall because they are jerks and always will be (Keep Ascalon in your heart :heart:) and my favorite ones are obviously Humans, Norns and Sylvari, :tongue:

1. Jennifer Hale (Female Sylvari)
  2. Claudia Christian (Female Norn)
  3. April Stewart (Female Human)
  4. Nolan North (Male Human)
  5. Brandon Bales (Male Sylvari)
  6. Matthew Mercer (Male Norn)
  7. Colleen O'Shaughnessey (Female Asura)
  8. Steve Staley (Male Asura)
  9. Kate Miller (Female Charr)
  10. Lex Lang / Ron Yuan (Male Charr)