Returning player. Just wanted to say hi to the community and get some opinions about PoF. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Returning player. Just wanted to say hi to the community and get some opinions about PoF.

Greetings everyone. I decided to return to GW2 after that little disappointment that HoT was for me so i bought PoF yesterday and started the journey with my Soulbeast :D To be honest i was thinking about playing with a new character but after trying out some pets i fell in love with it. What are your opinions on PoF so far? Is it too late to get back now?

Comments

• Sylent.3165Sylent.3165 Member ✭✭✭

It's an empty desert sadly. The maps are so huge and there is no true metas. Most people are still in silverwastes and hot maps farming. The story I found to be rather fun though. I personally haven't played in a few months so I'm not sure how the most recent map is for living world.

• SlippyCheeze.5483SlippyCheeze.5483 Member ✭✭✭✭

@gabisto.7348 said:
    What are your opinions on PoF so far? Is it too late to get back now?

I enjoyed both the story, and the maps. I absolutely do not believe it is too late to get involved.

I'd also add that, contrary to what @Sylent.3165 experienced, I always see people running about the various PoF maps, doing stuff, including the meta events. The Living Story S4 maps are definitely busier, but the whole thing still has plenty of people that I see...

• BadSanta.6527BadSanta.6527 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2018

Nonsense people play pof maps all the time

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@gabisto.7348 said:

I enjoyed both the story, and the maps. I absolutely do not believe it is too late to get involved.

I'd also add that, contrary to what @Sylent.3165 experienced, I always see people running about the various PoF maps, doing stuff, including the meta events. The Living Story S4 maps are definitely busier, but the whole thing still has plenty of people that I see...

Can't be bothered to type a big reply, so I'm just gonna agree with this since it is pretty accurate

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

PoF feels a lot easier than HoT was, imo. The enemies don't have periods of invulnerability like some of them in HoT, like the frog archers that would evade, jump into the air becoming unhittable, then evade again, all while doing high damage. PoF still has some harder enemies, but they feel more straight forward than HoT.

The maps always have people in them, I think Sylent has bad luck. I haven't been to a map that didn't have people running around, especially near the waypoints. HoT still has popular meats, but PoF gets more than its share of players, particularly at prime time.

The new elite specs are fun, just as with HoT, and if you don't like HP hunting in the multi-tiered zones of the jungle, you can get what you need for both elite specs in the desert. The HPs are far easier to get, and solo.

The mounts are awesome. This is the best implementation of mounts in any game I've ever played. I would suggest looking up the griffon guide to see what items you need from the heart vendors, so you can pick those up along the way, as opposed to going back and redoing all of those hearts. There are ten items at 25g a piece, but the mount is so worth it, imo.

The story is really good, and the LS3 flows right into it, if you have done it already. It also felt like you had more bearing of the direction of the story through choices you make, as well. I would also like to point out the final boss fight doesn't have any bugs that keep you from completing it, like HoT did. I still haven't finished that fight, because I just got bored with failing to a bug.

You will definitely have more fun in PoF, and the way this game works, it is never to late to join in. Gear doesn't change, only stats, and old builds tend to hold their power, regardless of elite specs that may trump them. You will never become weaker. Hope this helps, enjoy the mounts.

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭

PoF story is cool and mounts are amazing of course. As for repeatable OW content: HoT is still king.

• navystylz.9745navystylz.9745 Member ✭✭
    edited June 24, 2018

Not counting Istan--ya sure people are on those maps but it's ALWAYS the same thing--legendary bounties. Lucky if you get a full train to do champs for achievements. You can get deadhouse or maw of torment. But good luck on seeing the djinn or serpent's ire. When you actually need EVERYTHING for unlocks you realize just how little "other" stuff people are actually doing.

• PyrateSilly.4710PyrateSilly.4710 Member ✭✭✭

I am enjoying each expansion for what each has to offer. Each part is different and I like that.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@navystylz.9745 said:
    Not counting Istan--ya sure people are on those maps but it's ALWAYS the same thing--legendary bounties. Lucky if you get a full train to do champs for achievements. You can get deadhouse or maw of torment. But good luck on seeing the djinn or serpent's ire. When you actually need EVERYTHING for unlocks you realize just how little "other" stuff people are actually doing.

I've done the Djinn and Serpents Ire in the not too distant past. They're definitely not done every day but that doesn't mean they're impossible to do. Obviously being part of an active guild makes that sort of thing easier though. Serpents in Ire in particular is done relatively often, and people in my guild who've needed it for collections, quite a few of us, have done it in the last month, more than once.

It's like the people who play HoT who complain you can't do vinetooth prime. It requires more patience, but everything is doable. And there are still plenty of people floating around. They're just not zerging like HOT because nothing funnels you into a single meta on a timer.

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2018

@gabisto.7348 said:
    What are your opinions on PoF so far?

Mounts are a good addition and the new elite specs are decent, the new maps however are pretty much a one shot deal, no replay value at all and the new stat combos they added are only useful to probably 5% of the population. I would rate PoF a 5/10.

• aspirine.5839aspirine.5839 Member ✭✭✭

I'm doing the same as you. Finished the pof story with my mesmer, and now I want to try it with less OP chars. :) The maps in PoF are not what I expected at all, I kinda miss the beauty of the HoT maps. But the story is fun and worth doing it again with my warrior, ranger and necro.

• battledrone.8315battledrone.8315 Member ✭✭✭

maps look cool, the rest is garbage
    specially the "story"...ugh
    dont believe me? just wait for the next report

@battledrone.8315 said:
    maps look cool, the rest is garbage
    specially the "story"...ugh
    dont believe me? just wait for the next report

I don't believe you, but because this is a personal taste question. You don't have to like the story, but you are not everyone. Just as I do like it, and I understand that not everyone -- like you -- is going to.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

HoT was awesome. PoF is ok.

• Airdive.2613Airdive.2613 Member ✭✭✭

It is definitely not too late, but PoF is boring compared to HoT and LS3.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

While nobody can nor should tell you what to think, I can safely tell you that if you enjoyed playing through Guild Wars 2 (especially Heart of Thorns), then you will probably enjoy Path of Fire.

Though the feelings of Desert and Desolation are strong, there are far more people in the maps than first glance. You should be able to complete most open world content without too much struggle (though it is still challenging). The mounts are fun for what they are, and truly express the vaunted "joy of movement" they talked about before the expansion. The story continues on from Heart of Thorns in visuals and direction, and is just as compelling (for better or worse).

It's more Guild Wars. If that's good enough for you, then have at it! If not, well... we'll be here when you get back.

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2018

@gabisto.7348 said:
    Greetings everyone. I decided to return to GW2 after that little disappointment that HoT was for me so i bought PoF yesterday and started the journey with my Soulbeast :D To be honest i was thinking about playing with a new character but after trying out some pets i fell in love with it. What are your opinions on PoF so far? Is it too late to get back now?

If you did not like HoT you may like PoF. I found PoF to be a downgrade from hot in every possible way. PoF maps are the worst in all GW2. They look cute, but they are barn.

• Alex.4982Alex.4982 Member ✭✭

Welcome back! I was surprised to see so many negative opinions on this thread, so I wanted to try and balance things out and at least throw in my two cents to say that I thought PoF is excellent. Fun story to play through, mounts, elite specs, and enjoyable maps were all very welcome additions to the game in my book. Soulbeast in particular is a ton of fun with all the new merged pet skills, hope you enjoy playing yours! I'd say no it's not too late at all.

Not discounting or disagreeing with anyone else's opinion, just adding more perspectives :)

• Horrorscope.7632Horrorscope.7632 Member
    edited June 26, 2018

Just returned as well. I'm officially burnt on their formula, nowhere near enough that excites, too few powers, gear that is a total bore. Where is everyone at in POF to? I did enjoy my overall time with GW2 over the years, HOT to me was the highlight, even though it was raked over the coals. And I don't know what to say about the games performance and what happened there, I'm in the 30's way too often and I simply won't game there any more. Overall the game makes me sleepy, almost all mmo's do these days, that's pretty much that. I don't want to be to big a pisser, those that do enjoy, cheers and have fun!

• juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

Welcome back! I hope you enjoy PoF more than HoT :) I definitely did.

For me, PoF was a mixed bag. I loved several things and really hated others. If you like the story, the annoyances you might find won't be so bad. I didn't, so a lot of the pain I went through to finish the story (which I still haven't) barely feels worth it above and beyond unlocking the mounts.

What I liked a lot:

Mounts! Mounts have opened up a lot of the game for me-- especially the HoT maps. Even the worst map--Desolation-- felt worth it getting the jackal and finishing its masteries. Core Tyria is so much more fun with all of my little maxed-out beasties.

The new ranger pets are great! I'm running with the jacaranda and the rock gazelle on one of my mains. They're both a lot of fun.

Crystal Oasis is one of my favorite maps in the game. So pretty! Amnoon is beautiful :) I've had fun with Desert Highlands too.

I really like the scourge elite spec.

Meh:

Elon Riverlands.

Most of the story. It had no real resonance for me. I hate what they did to my poor Sylvari boy-- he's gone from a gentle, easygoing snarker to a giant jerk. Gameplay in the story instances wasn't fun-- especially all the parts where you don't play as yourself. The companions-- aside from Kasmeer-- were annoying.

Yuck:

Desolation and Vabbi maps.

The rest of the story. Starting with, "The Departing," my interest in the story left too.

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

The sense of exploration is great the first time around, farming bounties can be fun. Also doing some achievements. Unfortunately, there are the lack of meaty content. This game needs daily quests etc. At least we would have something to do.

• Welcome back!
    Like many people have said, whether or not you'll like PoF is a personal taste question. Maps are massive in PoF, with none of the vertical confusion that HoT has (at least once you get the second mount). Enemies can be pretty annoying, but they're still do-able, and you won't die as often as in HoT. (That's just my experience, and I am a terrible player. I die all the time.)

Personally, I enjoyed the story. I don't like that my sylvari girl sounds so jaded and harsh, but that's just how the story goes. It's a good plot imo, with annoying antagonists that you hate and some antagonists that you can understand (though their attitude is rubbish). It's a mixed bag of emotions, which I like, but how you'll find it is for you to decide :) Even if you end up hating the story or the maps or the enemies, the mounts are great - that's one thing that most people agree on.

I have infinite patience, but I still have a threshold for idiocy.

• altermaven.7385altermaven.7385 Member ✭✭✭

Path of Fire is definitely a little more relaxed than Heart of Thorns, but the fact there's much more to do, and more ways to do it is what makes it so alive. The story is quite gripping and, for the sake of modesty, you will be surprised and shocked in certain moments that I will not discuss.

But outside story, the addition of Mounts and the functionality of these mounts truly make you feel like you can summon a companion that helps you in not just mobility, but initiative in combat. You can redo the hearts every day for a small edge in karma, maps have specific metas tied to them that net decent rewards, and the bounty hunter boards -- while a little fragile and needs a bit of tweaking here and there -- definitely earns you progress towards resources to create equipment with PoF stats.

Oh, and one area has a small game of chance that has profitable rewards, if you feel lucky (it's not Sandstorm, the Elonian equivalent of ecto gambling).

Weclome back to Tyria.

Helpdesking rodent hailing from Skrittsylvania.
    Roaming skritt needs caffeine badly.
    Oldschool electronic music enthusiast who also likes Autechre.

• misterman.1530misterman.1530 Member ✭✭✭

@Klowdy.3126 said:
    PoF feels a lot easier than HoT was, imo. The enemies don't have periods of invulnerability like some of them in HoT, like the frog archers that would evade, jump into the air becoming unhittable, then evade again, all while doing high damage. PoF still has some harder enemies, but they feel more straight forward than HoT.

^This. Though, the Veteran Hydras are a pain! I mean, you are in the middle of a bounty, and one of those things shows up...wow.

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

To me, the biggest failure of PoF is the event structure. That was one thing that HoT handled brilliantly - better than any MMO I've ever seen!

HoT divided its maps up into zones, with each locality featuring an event chain. They then added map markers and event progress bars to the UI to make it easy for players to figure out where the action is. The event chains themselves all tell a story of what's going in that locality and ties in to the overall story of the entire map, which then culminates in a big map-wide boss event! It's engaging, rewarding, easily accessible, and keeps players coming back for more.

Unfortunately, PoF rejected all of that and returned to the core Tyria-style of random one-off events and hearts. This would have been fine if they had also included the type of event structure HoT pioneered. But they simply tossed it out. The result: Big, empty maps with little action or replay value.

Having said that, there were some things they handled better than HoT.

Hero Point Challenges. Players complained that they couldn't easily unlock their elite specs on their own in HoT. But many players also enjoyed the champions-on-demand that HoT HP challenges offered. So, rather than toss the whole system out, ANet smartly decided to throw a bone to all of us by downgrading HP challenges in PoF to veterans while also introducing the bounty system for champions-on-demand! Well done!

Mastery System. HoT's mastery system had too many arbitrary time gates (e.g. Itzel Poison lore? Stealth mastery?) that added little or nothing to the game, but made it more time-consuming, confusing, and annoying to play. PoF, on the other hand, has a much more streamlined system that guides you rather than gating you. Also, the mounts they give you are brilliantly designed! I can't say enough about how good they are! And given how negative opinions were on mounts prior to their actual introduction into the game, the fact that you can hardly find anyone who has anything bad to say about them now is telling. Again, extremely well done! A+!

I would say the storyline is the same. Both HoT and PoF are much better than the story elements that came before them, and LS3 and LS4 are vastly superior to LS2 as well. The decision to release on a schedule and add new maps with plenty of attractive rewards to keep players coming back was a good one, in my opinion. I really like the way they've handled this since HoT and PoF continues down the same road (thankfully!).

Elite specs. They've created some balance issues with these, but overall I think elite specs are largely a positive. They change the way each class plays dramatically, which adds a ton of much-needed replay value to the game. HoT and PoF both have this feature and I think, despite those balance issues, it was very much a positive addition.

• Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

@AliamRationem.5172 said:
    To me, the biggest failure of PoF is the event structure. That was one thing that HoT handled brilliantly - better than any MMO I've ever seen!

HoT divided its maps up into zones, with each locality featuring an event chain. They then added map markers and event progress bars to the UI to make it easy for players to figure out where the action is. The event chains themselves all tell a story of what's going in that locality and ties in to the overall story of the entire map, which then culminates in a big map-wide boss event! It's engaging, rewarding, easily accessible, and keeps players coming back for more.

Unfortunately, PoF rejected all of that and returned to the core Tyria-style of random one-off events and hearts. This would have been fine if they had also included the type of event structure HoT pioneered. But they simply tossed it out. The result: Big, empty maps with little action or replay value.

Having said that, there were some things they handled better than HoT.

Hero Point Challenges. Players complained that they couldn't easily unlock their elite specs on their own in HoT. But many players also enjoyed the champions-on-demand that HoT HP challenges offered. So, rather than toss the whole system out, ANet smartly decided to throw a bone to all of us by downgrading HP challenges in PoF to veterans while also introducing the bounty system for champions-on-demand! Well done!

Mastery System. HoT's mastery system had too many arbitrary time gates (e.g. Itzel Poison lore? Stealth mastery?) that added little or nothing to the game, but made it more time-consuming, confusing, and annoying to play. PoF, on the other hand, has a much more streamlined system that guides you rather than gating you. Also, the mounts they give you are brilliantly designed! I can't say enough about how good they are! And given how negative opinions were on mounts prior to their actual introduction into the game, the fact that you can hardly find anyone who has anything bad to say about them now is telling. Again, extremely well done! A+!

I would say the storyline is the same. Both HoT and PoF are much better than the story elements that came before them, and LS3 and LS4 are vastly superior to LS2 as well. The decision to release on a schedule and add new maps with plenty of attractive rewards to keep players coming back was a good one, in my opinion. I really like the way they've handled this since HoT and PoF continues down the same road (thankfully!).

Elite specs. They've created some balance issues with these, but overall I think elite specs are largely a positive. They change the way each class plays dramatically, which adds a ton of much-needed replay value to the game. HoT and PoF both have this feature and I think, despite those balance issues, it was very much a positive addition.

I agree with a bit of disappointment in the events in PoF. I was hoping for something like DS in at least one zone. The HPs are way better, too. I'm leveling a sylvari revenant (my second rev) to replay the story (I actually like the little cutscenes from core) and LS2 and 3, but I plan on going through PoF first to level up both of my elite specs before heading into the jungle. I can't say enough how awesome mounts are in this game, and the mastery system tied to them is so much easier to level.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Klowdy.3126 said:

I was hoping for something like DS in at least one zone.

I'm guessing that decisions were made based on map population metrics which only Anet has. I would think that they would develop content based on styles/areas that tend to hold the most traffic.

/me shrugs

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• ZhouX.8742ZhouX.8742 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2018

@gabisto.7348 said:

The story is pretty good, and the maps are huge but enough content to do bounties and stuff. I think there's more than enough content to keep you going for a bit, with the elite specs too (which are actually fun). But yea, silverwastes is still a farm hotzone and with Istan out , it's basically a great farm zone as well. PoF is purely for achievement points and mastery farming at this point imo.

You have more than enough daily content in the extra zones like bitterfrost, istan, siren, etc

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

Completely agreed with Aliam here, the events are basically like just there. I think they tried to go more in the route of bounty farming and mass zerg farming over organized events like in HoT. It just lacks heavily in comparison to HoT. It sucks too because I loved that direction they were taking, they started with Teq remake and then with HoT's event organization , but then PoF came out and it was a massive direction in the opposite way. Maybe they felt there's enough of it in the form of the raids and newer fractal levels they've come out with to justify having the zerg style kill event play in PoF and newer maps like Istan, etc.

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

I was hoping for something like DS in at least one zone.

I'm guessing that decisions were made based on map population metrics which only Anet has. I would think that they would develop content based on styles/areas that tend to hold the most traffic.

/me shrugs

Who can say? But there is some evidence that suggests they may have made a mistake in this case.

The HoT map metas are quite popular and to this day I have no trouble finding active maps to complete them. For example, the other day I commanded a lane in the TD meta, then hopped over to AB but was a little late. Two maps had already filled up! So we filled a third map and completed the meta there, too. Compare to PoF, where the map metas rarely draw any participation at all and I have never once seen multiple map instances listed for them.

I think they really dropped the ball on this one by rejecting what HoT did best of all.

edited June 26, 2018

@Horrorscope.7632 said:
    Just returned as well. I'm officially burnt on their formula, nowhere near enough that excites, too few powers, gear that is a total bore.

Yeah, if that is what you are looking for as a reward, PoF totally isn't going to deliver for you. I'm sorry. I hope you find a game that does better suit your mood and taste! Nothing wrong with not being in the mood for GW2, or even just outright not liking the model. Good for you being able to recognise it!

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

I say POF is way better than HoT. Mounts are the best thing since Elite Specs. Also if you like the old Vanilla Champ train from Queensdale well PoF has that but on a more interesting fights.

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@gabisto.7348 said:

I will agree that PoF need a meta event.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@gabisto.7348 said:

I will agree that PoF need a meta event.

I think you mean something more when you say that, because there are a bunch of meta events: Serpent's Ire, for example, is a widely complained about event, since it is on the path to an ascended backpack collection, and is hard to complete without some degree of coordination, making it less common to be randomly pugging away.

I will say that some of the dynamic event chains are quite interesting, and I'd like to see them elevated further into a map-wide effort that was similar in spirit to the HoT zone meta events. I suspect that, too, is what you mean with your statement, when I'm using the more precise (or pedantic) definition, which is an event that triggers the participation / completion mechanic for ... well, meta events, basically. The ones like the Ogre Wars, etc.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.