Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

tumblr_paupdxdHzi1x8v9xxo1_1280.jpgI am desperately trying to finish the Orr storyline, and there's nothing quite like taking 10 or so minuted to beat a repetitive and boring boss just to loose it all because of this glitch. This thread is almost half a year old. There is a thread before this one reporting the same issue from September. I don't understand how a bug that makes one of the more enjoyable parts of the game NIGH IMPOSSIBLE to play could have gone this long without a fix.

I am one to spend money on FTP games that I enjoy, but until this issue has been resolved, I will definitely not be wasting my money on living world stories. Perhaps when ANet realizes they are loosing money over this they will put the proper resources into fixing it.

my experiences so far, me and a friend have both been having issues with storyline disconnects, both in HoT and Pof and also living world episodes in 2 and 3 but and heres the big BUT ever since i got past 'The Departing' (posted in another thread herehttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/14053/story-disconnect-at-the-end-of-the-departing#latest) i and my friend have not had 1 disconnect, how,we both press skill 1 constantly, throughout all the dialouges and all the cut scenes and so far not 1 disconnect since, maybe its a coincidence maybe not.

I tried two things and I haven't had any disconnects. Since then I have completed 4 complete living story 2 episodes. Unfortunately, I don't know which one fixed my problem. I stopped playing in Windowed Fullscreen mode. I noticed this trouble started around the time I was tabbing out to look things up. I also cleared the appdata folder like someone suggested in this thread.

Unfortuntely I cannot confirm whether the following influences the disconnects or not: I found a thread started by a player with a similar problem in another mmo. His solution was to unlimit streaming in the game launchers options. I was curious and took a look into the GW2 streaming options and it was set to "on demand". I don't know whether this is the default setting and I also cannot remember that I changed this setting somewhen in the past, but I set it to "max.".

In the last few weeks, both my account and my girlfriend's have a 100% disconnect rate when attemping to do the first PoF mission "Sparking the Flame".(I've already got my mount from a while ago, trying to get hers.)

Everytime the NPCs start to talk after fighting the Forged Warhounds, when First Mate Fidus Foecrush says "Commander! I've got somethin' that might help with those fires." we get disconnected. Attempted both teamed and solo.

This just happened to me (again, happens often in story instances, rarely otherwise). I have two new pieces of information:

First, I had GoGGalaxy running in the background. Some posters have suggested that a lapse in communication causes the trouble, and having a background program like GoG running can prevent it. Not for me.

Second, mine almost always happen during transitions, but not necessarily during cutscenes (in this case, it was Trahearne calling "Commander! To me!" and by the time I reached him to continue dialog, I couldn't click on him - I had already disconnected).

I'll again raise the question of "Why not save story progress and allow players to continue if disconnected?"

Or rather, since ANet already saves progress within a story instance (if you die, you can continue from a checkpoint), why not allow players to return to that checkpoint if they disconnect? You have the checkpoint and the save mechanic already in place.

Personally, I would allow players to do so without time limitation, but if devs didn't want players to break instances into chunks, they could allow re-connecting within a limited time, as apparently they did in GW1.

While I appreciate that devs are trying to make the problem reproducible, that hasn't been a productive path so far. Why not apply this fix, which builds on an existing mechanic, and an existing feature of GW1?

@Ringlin.1863 said:While I appreciate that devs are trying to make the problem reproducible, that hasn't been a productive path so far. Why not apply this fix, which builds on an existing mechanic, and an existing feature of GW1?

I'd assume that this is not nearly so simple as it sounds, because otherwise it kind of is the obvious thing to do.

@"Ringlin.1863" said:This just happened to me (again, happens often in story instances, rarely otherwise). I have two new pieces of information:

First, I had GoGGalaxy running in the background. Some posters have suggested that a lapse in communication causes the trouble, and having a background program like GoG running can prevent it. Not for me.

I'd assume it would only work if it was specifically within GW2, not some additional third party software.

Second, mine almost always happen during transitions, but not necessarily during cutscenes (in this case, it was Trahearne calling "Commander! To me!" and by the time I reached him to continue dialog, I couldn't click on him - I had already disconnected).

Hrm. What brand and model router do you use?

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Ringlin.1863 said:While I appreciate that devs are trying to make the problem reproducible, that hasn't been a productive path so far. Why not apply this fix, which builds on an existing mechanic, and an existing feature of GW1?

I'd assume that this is not nearly so simple as it sounds, because otherwise it kind of is the obvious thing to do.

It was implemented for a time (LS3 I think) with checkpoints (as opposed to gw1 where we could reconnect at the same place we left), but yes if this feature hasn't been put in the whole game it could mean that it is not the easiest thing to work on in gw2.

I've had this issue also now and its stopping my progression of the game.

Trying to complete Main story quest and am stuck on Chapter 8 where you have to fight the dragons in the sky and the ship is going down but is saved by another - cut scene and disconnect. I have tried to complete this now 8 times and no luck. The worst part of it is the fact there are no save points during this campaign and have to start from the entire beginning every time which in total takes around 20-30 mins every time.

I tried all the suggestions from the support FAQ, reinstalled game, repaired, opened ports 80, 443, 6112 on my firewall, added exception for gw2.exe and am still getting the same issue.

This issue isn't exclusive to just that mission either but I have had it all the way through the main quest and even on the expansion quests from HoT and PoF.

I'm not sure if this info helps, but it seems less likely to crash or dc if you do the quests with someone else. I helped a random do their mission and it didn't crash and then I tried to solo it myself on my story and it crashed as I completed it. This was a different mission.

The issue seems to be when the game is either fetching data or writing data to the server when the dc occurs.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

It might not be the easiest thing to do, but at least it's something to do.

@Odinsfury.8360 said:

A feature like that would likely consume significant development resource meaning they'd have to push other engine changes (not content changes, that's most likely a different team). Would have knock on effects on other development pushing back other bug fixes or even the next expansion by however long it takes. I doubt there's much of GW1 in GW2, so it's not like restoring some old functionality, it's probably a whole new feature that may not sit well with the server infrastructure. The change also brings high risk of unexpected consequences I'd imagine, necessitating lots of testing. It's the kind of thing they should have built in to the game day 1.

Based on the number of posts complaining, and the amount of developer presence, I'd assume it's not affecting enough of us to be considered critical. I'd be stunned if they told us they had even a single resource looking at this full time.

If we want a fix/workaround quick then we'd have to start hoping the issue became chronic and start affecting everyone. I'm not mean enough to wish that on other people unfortunately :D

@JackalHeadGod.8195 said:

@"Ringlin.1863" said:While I appreciate that devs are trying to make the problem reproducible, that hasn't been a productive path so far. Why not apply this fix, which builds on an existing mechanic, and an existing feature of GW1?

A feature like that would likely consume significant development resource meaning they'd have to push other engine changes (not content changes, that's most likely a different team). Would have knock on effects on other development pushing back other bug fixes or even the next expansion by however long it takes. I doubt there's much of GW1 in GW2, so it's not like restoring some old functionality, it's probably a whole new feature that may not sit well with the server infrastructure. The change also brings high risk of unexpected consequences I'd imagine, necessitating lots of testing. It's the kind of thing they should have built in to the game day 1.

I mean, this is the obvious concern. The underlying technology clearly exists, but how easy it is to make that work with these story instances, I have literally no idea. My speculation is that it must have some hidden challenge, because otherwise it would be the obvious change, and the ANet team are no fools: if they could make this all go away quickly, why wouldn't they...

Based on the number of posts complaining, and the amount of developer presence, I'd assume it's not affecting enough of us to be considered critical. I'd be stunned if they told us they had even a single resource looking at this full time.

We do know that only a small number of players are hit by this, but that it is very persistent for them. We know that an ANet developer is looking at this, though I can't imagine "full time" describes it. (I know that, given what they said about it, I usually instrumented things and waited for data collection to figure out what the common pattern was for these people, which isn't a full time thing, for situations where I dealt with similar issues in my own work.)

If we want a fix/workaround quick then we'd have to start hoping the issue became chronic and start affecting everyone. I'm not mean enough to wish that on other people unfortunately :D

Yah. So far we know that there is a common pattern in that the traffic on the TCP port used between client and server goes silent for 20-30 seconds, then there is no response from the server. I'm curious, for those hit by this, what brand and model of router y'all using, to see if there is a pattern there.

@Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

I have the same issue now, but my question is how do I submit a bug report if the feature is only enabled when ingame, but I cannot get ingame since I lose connection when trying to get ingame.Also, yeah I have the same issue now. Cannot login to any character now after the 1st story instance disconnected me.

Edit:I just tried again and I got back into the game. Should I still submit a bug report?

• ArenaNet Staff

Please report this morning's disconnects here. Please do not post in this thread about issues noted today -- June 26 -- because that muddies the waters between a temporary connection issues, like this morning's, and some of the reports of persistent disconnect issues. Even if you are not playing Episode 3 right now, please put all disconnect comments in the linked thread.

Today's reports: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/44856/episode-3-connection-issue

I will reopen this thread for the more persistent issues after today's bug is corrected. Thanks for understanding.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:I'm curious, what brand and model of router do you have?

Slippy, thanks for trying to help here. Does the router matter? Why not allow players to restart from a checkpoint?

I really urge ANet to consider allowing people to restart from a checkpoint whatever router they have. People disconnect for all kinds of reasons, and while some players (like me) seem to have the problem in story instances more frequently than others, it seems a poor game design to have sections of the game where all progress can be lost.

People lose power. ISPs go dark. Cords get yanked, computers crash. Frequent or infrequent, isn't a checkpoint a good idea, and wouldn't it solve the problem here, whatever the cause?

@Ringlin.1863 said:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:I'm curious, what brand and model of router do you have?

Slippy, thanks for trying to help here. Does the router matter? Why not allow players to restart from a checkpoint?

I'm poking at a theory that there may be a common element of which router brand is in use, and it may be the root cause of the disconnections by inappropriately dropping the NAT mapping for the TCP connection after 20 seconds of no traffic. Which, for almost every other use of the protocol, would not happen. (Though it would show up as drops for SSH connections, and given the 15-second protocol level pings to avoid this advised in places, would not be the first time this has popped up...)

To the later: I'm all in favor of ANet allowing people to restart from a checkpoint. Sounds great.

People lose power. ISPs go dark. Cords get yanked, computers crash. Frequent or infrequent, isn't a checkpoint a good idea, and wouldn't it solve the problem here, whatever the cause?

It wouldn't solve the problem, in the sense that if you are disconnecting now, you would disconnect again and again until you got lucky (or whatever it is). All it would do is reduce the amount of time you had to spend getting from the checkpoint to the disconnection point each time.

So, regardless of checkpoints, I think the underlying issue should be investigated and solved. I'm all for things that improve the experience, and don't think these are in any way mutually exclusive options.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@MaxFeign.7362 said:I've had this issue also now and its stopping my progression of the game.

I'm curious, what brand and model of router do you have?

VirginMedia SmartHub 2.0 i think AFAIK.

I agree with Ringlin above, there SHOULD be frequent checkpoints especially in really long campaign missions.

I will try changing the media streaming content to Max as suggest above, once I've got my sanity back to try and finish the 8th chapter of the main story for the 9th time :)