Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

@MaxFeign.7362 said:

@MaxFeign.7362 said:I've had this issue also now and its stopping my progression of the game.

I'm curious, what brand and model of router do you have?

VirginMedia SmartHub 2.0 i think AFAIK.

Interesting. That makes two out of two people with this problem, and that router. Not a very convincing sample yet, but an interesting coincidence.

I agree with Ringlin above, there SHOULD be frequent checkpoints especially in really long campaign missions.I will try changing the media streaming content to Max as suggest above, once I've got my sanity back to try and finish the 8th chapter of the main story for the 9th time :)

I strongly suspect that, unless you refuse to download anything in the launcher, and instantly jump into the mission, it will not end up helping. I'm totally with the idea of checkpoints, to be clear.

I only posted that 'troubleshoot tip' as someone else posted about it. It may have been coincidence that it helped; but it surely can't hurt to try it.

As to checkpoints; it would be great in all new instances, but when the Devs tried changing even just the order of old Story instances, not to mention the content, it caused all sorts of bugs throughout for player accounts. I'm not sure they can go back and add checkpoints to that old content.

Maybe....

It's not just story instances. My main got DC'd when he entered his home instance. And one of my alts was doing a daily achieve in Mount Maelstrom, just gathering wood, when she crashed. Both are now locked out and unable to log into the game. "Network Error" when they try to load.

Well, my alt got back into the game -- in Rata Sum where she started. Apparently she got reset to her home city, and lost everything she had done during that online session. Then when I tried to start doing my dailies again, she crashed again. So basically, I'm done for the night because I don't want to get all my characters locked out and lose everything I work on. This is not acceptable, ANet. A game this old should not be having such problems anymore.

Yesterday was my 1st full day back in GW2 after about a year hiatus, was great with flawless game play.

Today you guy are really having some problems with the servers as the DC's have been rampant all day long. Not just in story instances, but in cities and open zones as well.Hope this is a top priority for a fix with your crew for as you can see by this thread, people really dont like constant interruptions.

If its any help, every time I get DC, I can log right back on to the character select, but for 5-10 min after the DC I get a dialog box suggesting my network is down.

Don't bother trying it now... i just tried the story intance "Be My Guest" and got kicked out of it.I'm getting tired of this happening with every release. How much time does it take them to learn or come up with working solutions?I love playing GW2 but this puts a big dampener on my willingness to play.Strangely enough though: certain streamers seem to be immune to disconnects...

Same problem here. For me it all started after the new update. Constantly getting DC with a msg saying connection error & to check my network. This happened whilst playing the new story so I gave up and went into WvW but same thing there too. When I DC it takes me about 4-5 times to be able to log back in. This is becoming a joke.

@"PixelJaeger.2403" said:Don't bother trying it now... i just tried the story intance "Be My Guest" and got kicked out of it.

Yep, that's where I keep getting kicked too. Have made it to the gate 3 times but no further. But the last 2 times I seem to get mid bridge and then disconnected.

Hey, y'all. Please be aware that the disconnect issues in this thread and distinct from the issues around the launch of this patch. If your problems only started with LS4 Ep 3, a new thread (or just being patient, as ANet work on it) is the appropriate place.

The thread is about a problem that hits some players, causing disconnects unrelated to server issues, unlike the current pain.

For some reason, I often get stuck in cutscenes (movie real above my character's head) when I'm in an instance. The game will eventually close to the character selection screen and I have to re-enter the game. On shorter missions it's not that big of a deal...but on missions like "Ossuary of Unquiet Dead", it really sucks to get to the final boss, then have to start it from the beginning because the game froze.

Please give us a grace period (5-10 minutes) where we can log back in and continue where we left off.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:This is a persistent problem for some players, and anet are looking into it. Could I ask, please, what brand and model of router you have?

+1 on the "small number of players" having this problem.

To anyone reading, don't get me wrong: it super-sucks for the people it happens to, and it is annoyingly frequent for them. ANet have a developer tasked with working on figuring this out, but by their comments, they don't yet have any common pattern in what is going on, so no solution in sight quite yet.

July 1st--this happened to me. Killed Balthazar, black screen, lost client. Now, it gives me a green star where I can start again, but I'm not sure I can reach it. (not where the starting instance is--where Balthazar would be) Should I quit the chapter and start again or...? Hope this gets resolved soon!!

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:This is a persistent problem for some players, and anet are looking into it. Could I ask, please, what brand and model of router you have?

I'm not at home right now, but I'm with Xfinity. It's just really odd that it happens so often with Guild Wars 2, but doesn't happen in any other online game I play.

@tizodd.8310 said:

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:This is a persistent problem for some players, and anet are looking into it. Could I ask, please, what brand and model of router you have?

I'm not at home right now, but I'm with Xfinity. It's just really odd that it happens so often with Guild Wars 2, but doesn't happen in any other online game I play.

Drat. That kind of shoots my idea about maybe a router commonality out of the water, because that isn't a VirginMedia Hub of any sort, which the first few were.

During the cutscene, there is no network traffic between GW2 client and server, and at about the 20 second mark is where most people who suffer this disconnect see it happen. Most online games never go silent for that long, so that is the single most obvious difference between the two.

Don't get me wrong, too: I'm not saying this isn't a GW2 issue or something, and I'm definitely not opposed to things like checkpoints to reduce the pain; I'd even encourage them to add a keepalive message of some sort during that period so the connection isn't completely silence.

I'm just hoping that maybe we find a commonality, and then they can fix it right -- because even with checkpoints, if you disconnect seven times in a row it will suck, just suck a little less than it did.

Anyway, yeah, GW2 clearly has some sort of issue here, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what it is, and sadly, ANet have confirmed -- via posts from the developer who is actively working on this -- that they cannot yet determine it either.

Kicking through to my next vague idea, do you have any sort of "internet security" software installed? I'm thinking things like the Norton Internet Security system, that sort of thing.

@PzTnT.7198 said:Another potential thing could be if youre on a laptop with wifi. Some are /extremely/ horrid with their power save on the wlan card to the point where they effectively cut the link if there is no traffic in a minute or two.

Oh, interesting! I hadn't considered that, and that is a useful point. I'll ask about that, too, and see if that turns up a commonality. The time does seem to be ~ 20 seconds idle to a disconnect, pretty consistently from the tcpdump traces, but ... if some do that when the link is idle for a minute, I can imagine someone cutting that down further because power saving reasons or something.

The disconnects are nothing like I've experienced with any other game. It has me looking for a new game I'm so frustrated. The community is the best I've found and the game content is fine. I simply cannot excuse repeated disconnects at the same place in mission sequences. This has happened many times before always at transitions and after considerable progress has been made in a mission. I never get a response to bug reports and the conversations tend to learn towards the players fault.

@"ilonlie.4316" said:The disconnects are nothing like I've experienced with any other game. It has me looking for a new game I'm so frustrated. The community is the best I've found and the game content is fine. I simply cannot excuse repeated disconnects at the same place in mission sequences. This has happened many times before always at transitions and after considerable progress has been made in a mission.

Yes. For the players who suffer this problem, it happens with a very high probability at any cutscene. Since those only occur during missions...

I never get a response to bug reports and the conversations tend to learn towards the players fault.

FWIW, I don't think this is the "players fault", but I do think that the likely cause -- which ANet are still trying to find, and have not yet succeeded -- for the small number of players who this hits is going to turn out to be outside their servers. Unfortunately, I had half hoped the migration to AWS would fix it, because that changes many of the potential root causes at their end, but it did not.

Anyway, if you don't mind: what model and brand of router are you using, and are you using a wifi connection to play?

I do appreciate all the attempts to gather info on routers, laptop/pc setup, etc...but in the mean time, a lot our frustrations could be alleviated if we were simply allowed to continue the mission after a crash. The crash itself isn't unbearable...it's having to restart long missions that gets extremely aggravating.

Allowing us to continue a mission after a crash would be more of a band-aid than an actual fix, but at least it would be something to address the problem.