World Restructuring Update 1

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Redponey.8352 said:

@Blaeys.3102 said:I am sorry, but there are a number of people that will likely be left behind with a system like this. In my guild's situation, a number of us are PVX players and only head into WvW once or twice a week. At the same time, the people we go into WvW with (many in our existing guild) are more hardcore, but still enjoy the time they spend with us on those nights. Under the system described, those people will have to make difficult decisions about who is in and who is out - and that will leave a lot of people out and unable to play with the friends they can/do under the current system.

This isn't a hypothetical scenario. It is one that many people I know (and probably many others) are in.

These limits, as described, make no sense and will force communities to fragment as harder core players have to decide between competitive gameplay and their more casual friends.

I know you can do better than this, Anet.

This would actually make it easier for PvX guilds to play together. Currently PvX guilds can, and often do have members spread on many different worlds. With this system you can all mark the guild as your WvW guild and all be placed on the same server to play together. As I stated before, this system is guild centric.

As i remember , PvX guild as you describe didnt have a great impact on WvW as mid-range WvW Guild. All i fear is that anet would get more people in instead of fidelize them with great combat system and new content. It's all about quantity and quality. a PvX player doesnt get involved as a WvW player in WvW so he would have not the same impact => eotm inc

The impact of guilds is irrelevant, the issue is creating an environment that encourages people to play together. PvX guilds used to be on one server until megaservers. This change essentially forced guilds to stop focusing on WvW because it was harder to do with players spread on other servers while at the same time having to continuously recruit to stay active, so it became harder and harder for them to make WvW a regular activity.

This restructuring would actually eliminate those barriers and make it easier for players in PvX guilds to play together on the same server.

@Raymond Lukes.6302 Thank you for the update! I know the players appreciate it.

We know this project will take time, and that you all have full plates, but I'm just wondering if there are any interim improvement plans to keep players participating in wvw? Stuff like... Profession updates targeted at improving wvw play? Reevaluating the 20k 1 shot and multi-burst builds vs an individual players health? Tasteful Condition system improvements? New maps?….There are a list of issues that repel players from this mode, and almost everything about wvw is stale at this point, so anything to wonder about or get excited over?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Phelar.1627 said:Can we please get some type of title of the the world were on currently when this changes. I've been on the same server since Early access and would like to have something to represent that.

We are still finalizing things but we are looking at giving titles. How it will work I'm still not clear on but we want to do something that acknowledges people's worlds.

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:

@Phelar.1627 said:Can we please get some type of title of the the world were on currently when this changes. I've been on the same server since Early access and would like to have something to represent that.

We are still finalizing things but we are looking at giving titles. How it will work I'm still not clear on but we want to do something that acknowledges people's worlds.

magswag plz

@hunkamania.7561 said:

magswag plz

*Magbags pls

I want Carnished Toasters, pls.

As i thought but have not been cleared until now. What really is happening is that we scramble servers and there wont be a hardcore we rule one world alliances. It been hinted at but people simply did not take this up or understood that it would not be like that.

So at this point i kind of wonder why scramble servers if the outcome will be very much like it is now. You have groups stacking servers and then we have fill ins with small guilds, lonely players in which alliances have no power over or vise versa. Much like now. Nothing changes.

WvW veteran players are already leaving the game only few are left and this restructuring is taking even longer come-on ANET you are better that this , i know that this isn't easy to make but in my opinion this change is critical for the future of GW2 or even the potential GW3 in the future so u need to put more dev's in making this change live as soon as possible, peace out.

@Seera.5916 said:

@"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:So. What happens to the RPer's and their server(s)?

D:

Find PvE maps or custom PvP rooms to do the RP you do in WvW. Because, personally, RP should not be done in WvW due to the map cap of players.

There are only X number of spots for people to come into WvW. RP can happen on any map, anywhere. WvW can only happen on a specific map. And a large number of RP'ers on an active WvW player map is a hinderance for the world of those RP'ers. It means that the map gets overrun by enemies as the players who own the land can't get enough players onto the map to defend.

Which means I'm basically saying that RP concerns should be the very very very very very last thing ANet devs consider when designing this system. And things put in place for RP'ers should only happen if they wouldn't negatively impact WvW players or would benefit WvW players.

As was discussed at length in the original announcement thread and cogently pointed out in this thread at https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/581560/#Comment_581560 this is NOT a concern about RPing in WvW, it is about RPers in PvE who are more likely to find each other randomly in the open world if their home server is one of the unofficial RP servers, primarily Tarnished Coast on NA and Pikken Square on EU. This server restructuring will affect that and therefore is of concern. Nothing needs to be done differently in the WvW design to accommodate RPers, but the hope is that something else will be offered to replace that which is taken away. Perhaps the ability to "flag" as an RPer and have that weighed as a factor when choosing which map IP to drop you in when you zone into an area.

Many other suggestions were made in the initial thread and the devs at that time responded that they understood this to be an issue. So now the question is, has any dev thought gone into an approach to solving this issue?

@Raymond Lukes.6305

@Roxanne.6140 said:In this new system, there will be no server pride and winning has no meaning because of matchmaker. Not that both of them have a huge presence now but they will be even less in the new system. But of course who is reading this anyway rofl.

Server pride hasn't been a thing for a few years now...

Good news is that guild pride will be more of a thing with this though

Will anet provide a seperate guild slot (ie. /gw) seperate from the original 5? with 5 years of history, many in pve land are having issues with available guild slots for a wvw guild. personally doesn't affect me, but seems to be a common issue.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Roxanne.6140 said:In this new system, there will be no server pride and winning has no meaning because of matchmaker. Not that both of them have a huge presence now but they will be even less in the new system. But of course who is reading this anyway rofl.

So the logic is if something is wrong or broken or missing, accept it's broken and make it worse?

@Raymond Lukes.6305 I apologise if the question I am about to ask has already been answered elsewhere, but I cannot find the question in this thread (it's late here and I could be wrong) and I feel it is worth asking.

I am pretty much exclusively a PvE player. I used to play a bit of PvP and, at launch, a LOT of WvW, but over time I've drifted away from those modes and focussed on the PvE elements of the game.

However, I like to collect legendaries. One of the annoying pain points for me is going into WvW for the gift of battle, as at this point I literally don't care about WvW.

It isn't particularly clear to me right now how the changes to WvW will impact upon my ability to get gifts of battle. Will it still be a simple matter of hopping into WvW to do that, or will I have to join a guild marked as WvW? Or mark my account as being a WvW account?

Beyond that, as part of this revamp, has any consideration at all been given to the process by which people obtain gifts of battle? I know that people who are dedicated WvWers really hate people like me leaching off of zergs and not giving a damn just to get the gift of battle. Can a new PvE method/system be implemented so that people such as myself don't need to take the place of someone who actually wants to play the game mode? A repeatable mastery track requiring a some millions PvE XP? A repeatable reward track like in WvW but works in PvE? Or maybe a repeatable achievement collection where you need to obtain X amount of XP alongside doing particular open world events (all world bosses) and some other stuff?

Aside from that, I think the changes to WvW sound interesting and I am glad for the WvW community that some much needed love and attention is being directed at it. I hope it all works out well for you.

We subsequently have decided to, at least at the start, use only play hours and not adjust using other metrics. This will allow us to compare apples to apples so to speak once the system is in place. From there we can simulate how certain adjustments would change the matchups. This will make it easier to determine if an adjustment will have a positive impact.

Does this include, at the very least, the hours at which players or groups are active? If not the system will require it or is otherwise doomed to fail. The issue with "population inbalance" isn't necessarily having too many players on one side; but having too many players during a certain timezone for others to compete. This entirely ruins the gamemode for said timezone.

Your current system promotes forming clusters in the times where you enjoy playing, as commanders are limited and guilds / communities are declining. Very few servers are active 24/7 but many servers can queue maps on certain times of day. This overhaul seems to be focussed on dealing with matchmaking and population issues which WvW faces, but I don't see an actual proposal here on how these issues will be fixed. I do think this system is still an improvement as it puts more power to steer their alliance as players; but I don't see any protection from two alliances focussed at the same timezone to be grouped only to create overwhelming dominance throughout a few hours complete inactivity during others.

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:

I ask, because I'm a pretty casual WvW player, honestly, and I'm currently on a T1 world. Everyone else at that level is way more serious than I ever expect to be, so I'm a bit of both an easy target, and inclined to feel like a bit of a hinderance -- even if I play competently with the groups, I'm likely to make unwise decisions because I just don't have the same commitment they do.

Ideally you can find a guild that has a similar play style and approach to WvW that you do and join them. That way you have a group that plays like you'd like.

And then you'd end up in an alliance of casual players matched against WvW veterans. Which might be fun for the latter, but definitely won't be for the former.

@Seera.5916 said:

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:So. What happens to the RPer's and their server(s)?

D:

Find PvE maps or custom PvP rooms to do the RP you do in WvW. Because, personally, RP should not be done in WvW due to the map cap of players.If you have actually read what was being said, you'd find it had nothing to do with RPing in WvW, but a lot to do with servers still having impact on open world instances. And impact many people count on, which, after that change, will be gone.

So, basically, that change may be beneficial in WvW, but is going to have some negative sideeffects in PvE that might not have been well thought out by the devs.

you will be matched to a world as a Solo character when you first enter. if you are not in a wvw guild.

as for people after map completion leeching, as long as they are in match playing, not afking near a wall to repair, no issues there.

@Roxanne.6140 said:

So the logic is if something is wrong or broken or missing, accept it's broken and make it worse?

Why is guild or alliance pride worse than server pride?

@morrolan.9608 said:

Why is guild or alliance pride worse than server pride?

Because there is a whole segment of the playerbase who will be left out! Doesn't this go against the historical design principle of the game developers?