Palawa Joko & Mad King Thorn + misc. lore (spoiler) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Palawa Joko & Mad King Thorn + misc. lore (spoiler)

Now that Joko is gone, it seems unlikely that we'll get a ton more information about him. This is rather unfortunate in my eyes since he's such a compelling character!

I'd like to know more about:

1. His rise to power (who was he before he got all lichified?)
  2. Why he's known as a "false" Primeval King (was he royal at all, or someone else that gained power in some other way - and if so, how?)
  3. Any significant history behind that signet ring?
  4. In the Scarred Psyche challenge mission in Guild Wars 1, there's a lot of dialogue that discusses a spiteful past between Palawa Joko and Mad King Thorn. Is there any chance we could learn some more on this? Perhaps for Halloween?

I know it's likely that you'll need to keep tight-lipped on most or even all of this for now, but if there's any of it you can answer it'd be A++. Thank you for the excellent episode, and I look forward to seeing where it goes from here!

Comments

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018

@foozlesprite.8051 said:
    Palawa Joko and Mad King Thorn.

Were these 2 characters voiced by the same guy?, because everytime Joko spoke all I could think about was mad kings says, which pretty much broke my immersion right there.

• Twyn.7320Twyn.7320 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018

@Vavume.8065 said:

@foozlesprite.8051 said:
    Palawa Joko and Mad King Thorn.

Were these 2 characters voiced by the same guy?, because everytime Joko spoke all I could think about was mad kings says, which pretty much broke my immersion right there.

Palawa Joko is voiced by Nolan North and Mad King Thorn is voiced by Fred Tatasciore.

You probably lost immersion because they were written in really similar ways. At times, Joko lost his character and became Mad King Thorn for a few seconds, which was quite jarring.

• foozlesprite.8051foozlesprite.8051 Member ✭✭✭

@Twyn.7320 said:

You probably lost immersion because they were written in really similar ways. At times, Joko lost his character and became Mad King Thorn for a few seconds, which was quite jarring.

Funnily enough, my spouse's theory was that this episode would reveal Joko's position had actually been usurped by Mad King Thorn, due to the similarity. And the next Living World season should theoretically be around Halloween, which would have been a good time to wrap that all up if that was the case.

I don't mind to an extent because I adore them both and am happy hearing the grandiose, arrogant style of either, but I do understand people's frustration with it.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.