Since HoT, I've seen the meta moving in a direction in which, this is just my personal opinion, I dislike. Each expansions releases a elite spec that tries to offer a class something it doesn’t currently have. In other words, it tries to "solve" a weakness of the class. Some classes have become extraordinarily good since the expansions have started releasing. Another thing you see is old builds and skills being pushed out of the meta, hard. Trying to play a build from hot gets you almost decimated most of the time.
Here are some of the skills in which I feel are horrible in PvP and why I dislike them.
- Elixir B – with elite specializations, we are seeing a meta that has a HEAVY presence of boon application and boon corruption/removal. It is practically spammed in some groups. Other cases you see classes getting a full boon corruption done (such as necromancers corrupt boon), only to have the same player regain a ton of boons at once. In order for an elixir that only applies boons to really work in this current meta is to have a short cooldown. Something that allows it to keep up with the boon corruption/removal that is being outputted at a huge rate. Sadly this elixir does not offer that. A 32 cooldown for a measly 4 boons (when traited) does not warrant getting this over the many other options that far excel in combat.
- Elixir C – this is another case of Elixir B. Condition spam/cleanse (more heavy on the spam side now a days) has become so heavy that elixir C simply can’t keep up. Again, the cooldown makes it not worth taking.
- Elixir U – this one can be good in very niche cases. A major issue now a days is that it is so easy to get quickness removed…which is 90% the point of this elixir. With another 32 cooldown, and a breakstun, it is hard to justify taking this. You have to pair it with stability so you don’t get CC spammed to death. Even then, the person you’re fighting can easily just active a short cooldown damage negator till this ends.
- Elixir R- this one used to be meta way back in the day. I remember seeing people playing sPvP all the time with rez abilities. However, now a days the pay off isn’t worth it. The meta heavily emphasis a strong defense is a strong offense. Kill as fast as you can. But again, the pay off isn’t worth taking. With some of the stronger option available, such as the elixir gun, it just isn’t worth it.
- Elixir X – transformations are becoming not that good anymore because they’re asking you to sacrifice so much. You have so much less utility, survivability, and even offense while transformed that it isn’t worth it. The AoE CC on the toolbelt is nice though. The RNG is another huge negative factor.
- Proposed Solution – I think the best solution is reworking HGH to add more effects to elixir. Similar to gadgets/turrets. 2 stacks of might is pretty meh with this games current rate of corruption/removal. For example, maybe elixir B can apply a hefty barrier. Elixir C apply a large condition damage decrease for the next few seconds (“toxic vaccination”). Elixir U…maybe reduce CD? This one walks the line of being OP for sure. Elixir R, super speed application (scrapper synergy could be cool with the huge amount of rez). Elixir X, this is a toughy. Rework to add its own transformation that can have its own utility skills? Or perhaps allow utility skills and toolbelt skills?
I really want to love gadgets, but they’re so hard to use. They’re hilarious, but very niche use.
- Slick Shoes – this one is hard. This can be good, but for the wrong reasons. I mainly have used it for the super speed and stun break. The CC part of it is bad in small encounters because of the one use only impact. The CD doesn’t make it worth it in this regard.
- Utility Goggles – this is a similar issue to boons. Fury can easily get corrupted/removed. Immunity to blindness is nice, but if the enemy doesn’t use blinds…its going to waste. So its easily just a 30 second stunbreak. Toolbelt is nice against stealth heavily classes for sure. But again, the main ability is VERY niche use and the cooldown makes justifying using it a bit hard.
- Personal Battling Ram – I want to love it, but again its cooldown and current meta make it hard to choose. Most of the times when I use this, it ends up getting resisted or negated somehow. It also requires you to be very close to the person. There are other more useful CC skills that I would rather take, like bombkit. Or even blast gyro is much better.
- Mine – Very niche use, hard to use, and other abilities better facilitate its role…close range explosive CC.
- AED – long use, easily countered, long CD, subpar condition removal. In the current meta of condition spam, the condi cleansing is a major disadvantage.
- Propose Solutions – Big issue with slick shoes is after they get stunned for 2 seconds, its useless. Perhaps make it so that if an enemy runs through it and gets stunned, they will get slowed if they run through another oil slick aoe. Utility goggles can keep its current ability, but perhaps allow the user to “see incoming attacks more easily”. In other words, allow them to have an evasion for 5 seconds, similar to the mirages dodge. PBR – rework this ability so that instead of it having two charges of a close range knockback, make it work similar to the Norn Bears charge. You channel it and charge forward with stability, knocking down enemies along the way. With ramheads on your hands. Could also make sword more viable. Mine – I think this one should have charges. Have 5 charges max at once (maybe 1 or 2 more with gadgeteering). Have a short 1-2 second arming time once placed. Make it so you can’t place them within a certain range of another mine (so you can’t stack them ontop of one another). AED is tough. This guy needs more reliable condition cleanse. While I like the concept of using it before dying to negate death, its really tough to use. Also with scrappers barrier on healing skill use…it kind of has negative synergy with this ability. Perhaps make it so after using AED, and increasing how long it lasts, you can channel it again. While channeling it, you lose conditions. Gives players a chance to interrupt you still, but at least you’re doing something about those conditions.
1. The main issue with all the turrets right now is AoE damage. They are good traited, but the AoE damage from players destroys them. Players never focus turrets, but they die super easily just from cleave/AoE. My only suggestion is to reduce the AoE damage done to them.
That’s a bulk of the issues I have with the current Engineer kit. I hope to see some improvements to them in the future to better deal with elite specs.