Low FPS / Lag Issues [MERGED]

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"kileran.1485" said:Find "Desktop Window Manager" or "DWM.exe" in your task manager or services manager, set its CPU PRIORITY to Low, Lowest, or Idle, depending on your version of windows.
Let me know!

I'm interested: what is the basis for suspecting that as a cause of lower performance?

I found this solution after looking very closely at my own task manager, and keeping some detailed logs. I found that any time i had a sudden crash in FPS (Sometimes down to a single frame every 2 seconds) the DWM.exe was taking huge amount of GPU time (Not CPU, just GPU). Once I suspected that DWM was the cause, i started keeping a closer eye on it. Not only did I see the DWM.exe <-> Low Game Framerate Correlation, but I also noticed DWM.exe sometimes occupying 35% of my GPU's 3d capability, WHEN MY PC WAS IDLE! I've got a GTX 1080. Some games don't even use 30% of my GPU, why the hell should windows use it when i'm not even at my computer?!?!!

So I started to do some research on DWM and found that people were having the same problem in several other games, sometimes even seeing 80% GPU usage when the PC was idle. Long story short, someone noticed that DWM.exe is sometimes set (seems to be hit and miss) to have a HIGH priority in windows, for seemingly no reason. Like seriously, there is NO REASON that DWM.exe should be set to anything higher than normal.

In any case, setting this to a priority lower than your game priority (Guildwars2 is Normal by default, like it should be), prevents DWM.exe from taking huge amounts of your GPU cycles.

Your mileage may vary.

@PersoEA.1409 said:How long do we have to wait for the solution?

Did you try mine?

@atheria.2837 said:@"SgtSarcasm.1653" said:

Any help with fixing this would be appreciated, as this is really frustrating.

Anet needs to know and stop the CPU from going to 99% while the VIDEO card has
NO use whatsoever.

Explain that.

7kUeclc.jpg?1

It looks like you have the game minimized...so that's normal. The game is not pushing the GPU because you aren't outputting it to any monitor while it's minimized. It's just running in the background...which is why it's still using your CPU. As it should do. If you have multiple monitors, you can have the task manager up on one and the game on another and you will see the game using your GPU.

Also, games like this are typically more CPU intensive than they are GPU intensive anyway.

@StrifeRift.5431 said:

@atheria.2837 said:@"SgtSarcasm.1653" said:

Any help with fixing this would be appreciated, as this is really frustrating.

Anet needs to know and stop the CPU from going to 99% while the VIDEO card has
NO use whatsoever.

Explain that.

7kUeclc.jpg?1

It looks like you have the game minimized...so that's normal. The game is not pushing the GPU because you aren't outputting it to any monitor while it's minimized. It's just running in the background...which is why it's still using your CPU. As it should do. If you have multiple monitors, you can have the task manager up on one and the game on another and you will see the game using your GPU.

Also, games like this are typically more CPU intensive than they are GPU intensive anyway.

NO GPU is being used when I am in the game - I know how to take a screenshot while the game is 'in the background' but still working very hard IN the game(look at the CPU).

The game isn't using the GPU as it should.

Period.

@"atheria.2837" said:

NO GPU is being used when I am in the game - I know how to take a screenshot while the game is 'in the background' but still working very hard IN the game(look at the CPU).

The game isn't using the GPU as it should.

Period.

Atheria if you would like help, please take a screenshot like this, showing your GPU tab, showing that you only have one GPU, and that the game is still running.

CWFsw2l.jpg

The only possible way a GPU could be at 0% while a game was running, would be if you somehow forced the game into some kind of software rendering mode.

The more likely case is that you have an onboard GPU:0 which is idle because you're not connected to it, and a separate GPU:1 which is running the game.

Please replicated the screenshot above if you would like help.

I have also been experiencing unplayable framerates since the windows patch and noticed my load screens both take longer and blink to the desktop. When the new windows annoyance (assistant?) popped up, I selected to disable it. But I expect there's some relationship between the issues I'm having in GW2 and this new "feature" of windows.

I hope there is some sort of fix for this. Getting below 15 FPS with settings turned all the way down is not something I intend to put up with forever.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:I have also been experiencing unplayable framerates since the windows patch and noticed my load screens both take longer and blink to the desktop. When the new windows annoyance (assistant?) popped up, I selected to disable it. But I expect there's some relationship between the issues I'm having in GW2 and this new "feature" of windows.

I hope there is some sort of fix for this. Getting below 15 FPS with settings turned all the way down is not something I intend to put up with forever.

Update: After reading through this thread, I started looking into some of the things that were discussed. This was sort of odd, but even though neither GPU was showing any particularly high load, switching it so that GW2 runs off of my dedicated card and everything else off of the on-board chip improved my framerate. I thought I had it set up that way previously, but no idea why it would have reverted to everything running off the dedicated GPU except maybe that I updated my Nvidia drivers first thing when I started experiencing problems. It didn't seem to help, but now that I switched what runs off of what, I'm getting pretty normal FPS again. I don't get it, but there it is.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:since the windows patch and noticed my load screens both take longer and blink to the desktop. When the new windows annoyance (assistant?) popped up, I selected to disable it. But I expect there's some relationship between the issues I'm having in GW2 and this new "feature" of windows.

THIS

OMG

WHY MICROSOFT?!

@kileran.1485 said:

@kileran.1485 said:Find "Desktop Window Manager" or "DWM.exe" in your task manager or services manager, set its CPU PRIORITY to Low, Lowest, or Idle, depending on your version of windows.
Let me know!

I'm interested: what is the basis for suspecting that as a cause of lower performance?

I found this solution after looking very closely at my own task manager, and keeping some detailed logs. I found that any time i had a sudden crash in FPS (Sometimes down to a single frame every 2 seconds) the DWM.exe was taking huge amount of GPU time (Not CPU, just GPU). Once I suspected that DWM was the cause, i started keeping a closer eye on it. Not only did I see the DWM.exe <-> Low Game Framerate Correlation, but I also noticed DWM.exe sometimes occupying 35% of my GPU's 3d capability, WHEN MY PC WAS IDLE! I've got a GTX 1080. Some games don't even use 30% of my GPU, why the hell should windows use it when i'm not even at my computer?!?!!

So I started to do some research on DWM and found that people were having the same problem in several other games, sometimes even seeing 80% GPU usage when the PC was idle. Long story short, someone noticed that DWM.exe is sometimes set (seems to be hit and miss) to have a HIGH priority in windows, for seemingly no reason. Like seriously, there is NO REASON that DWM.exe should be set to anything higher than normal.

In any case, setting this to a priority lower than your game priority (Guildwars2 is Normal by default, like it should be), prevents DWM.exe from taking huge amounts of your GPU cycles.

Your mileage may vary.

@PersoEA.1409 said:How long do we have to wait for the solution?

Did you try mine?

I tried this out last night, and I saw a marginal increase in FPS, but I'll take what I can get. FWIW, by default DWM' s priority was set to 'high' on my system.

• 2 weeks later...

For almost two weeks now I have been getting constant lag spikes nearly every 20 seconds and seeing my ping shoot up into the thousands. WvW has been nearly impossible, my ping goes over 3k and just hangs there as soon as I get near any group or just run around the map. What the hell is going on here, it even happens when doing simple things like opening a guild window, interacting with an npc, or gathering from a node.

@"kileran.1485" said:THIS MAY FIX OUR PROBLEMS!!!FOR IMMEDIATE TESTING!!!

If you are having any of the FPS issues in this thread, and you are in windows 7, 8, or 10, please attempt this fix.

FOR ADVANCED USERS:Find "Desktop Window Manager" or "DWM.exe" in your task manager or services manager, set its CPU PRIORITY to Low, Lowest, or Idle, depending on your version of windows. Let me know!

IF YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT PART, KEEP READING.

Windows 10 InstructionsOpen your task manager (ALT-CTRL-DEL works, or you can right click on your task bar)OPTIONAL: At the bottom of that window, you may need to click "More Details", just do it now to be sure.OPTIONAL: Sort by name to prevent stuff from flipping around all the timeFind "Desktop Window Manager" and right click on it, Select "Go To Details"That will open a different column, "DWM.exe" should be selected. Right click it again.In that drop-down list, find "Set Priority" and click the lowest one in the list (Should be Low, might say Idle"NOT OPTIONAL! Test it, and come back and let me know!

Instructions for Windows 7 and 8 are similar, but I don't have a computer with either installed, hopefully some kind soul will put up some instructions in a reply!

Tried this, but it didn't really do any difference for me. My fps is strange. Sometimes I get 60, but when I do something that involves other ppl, it sinks to 10. I just did Tarir meta, and I literally had only 9 fps. I swear I had better fps when I had my old Nvidia 760 card. :(My PC specs: i5 4690k, 16gb ram, SSD, 1060 6gb.

Perhaps this isn't the place, but I didn't want to make a whole new topic when it seems likely I should mention it here.

I was trying to come back to this game from a hiatus of a couple of years, and this game used to run smooth as silk for me since launch, but now when I load simply into the Grove, the game will freeze from 2-3 times when i simply try to walk from the BLT to the Banks, and vice-versa. Is this problem similar to what anyone else is having? Did the PoF update cause things liks this? It's certainly not going to be playable for me, at this rate...

Since the Windows update I get blinking and slow loading screens.

I get high ping spikes and huge FPS drops now and then. Tried several solutions, but didnt work.

I noticed that my overall FPS is much lower than it should be. Its somewhere between 30 and 50 mostly, while it should be able to handle a stable 80 easily.

@"vaper.3586" said:I already wrote something that works at least for some people, me included.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/579557/#Comment_579557

I hope it works for you guys, I did find it on Reddit.

I know this shouldn't be the solution but it's something at least.

Is this for Windows 10? I can't find this option on Windows 7! :/

I suggest everyone with problems tries setting their graphics intially to "best performance" in the graphics options menu and then checking their framerate. If that works OK and gives you a decent fps (which it should), then you can enable the settings you want one at a time and see how they effect performance. Some of those options such as shadows and reflections are extremely demanding and maybe don't even work properly so should be left on low (Terrain and sky for shadows). OTOH raising others has little to no effect on framerate - just suck it and see.

It's strange, but GW2 works quite well on budget hardware, but doesn't seem to benefit as much as one might think from more powerful setups.

And there is plenty of info on optimising your PC for gaming, so google that too incase you have some issues with basic setup.

I started having random choppy gameplay with frames dropping from 60 to 4 and when i switched to best performance on the graphics tab in the guild wars 2 settings it starts at 68 and goes down to 10-12.

Theses spikes hit randomly and i don't know what causes it.

My computer : Windows 10 homeProcessor : I7-7700 @ 360GhzRam : 16 gigsVideo card : GeForce GTX 1070 16 gigs GB RAMInternet connection : Wired and wireless High speed 4g with the option to go 5g beta settings

When did it start : It started when i updated the video card AND used the GeForce application on my windows 10. Like razor naga mouse... i installed the app and it took over my downloading updates and optimizing guild wars 2. I am considering uninstalling it and using the in game settings rather than the video card app settings.

Any ways if you need more questions let me know.

@HollowDean.5134 said:

@"vaper.3586" said:I already wrote something that works at least for some people, me included.

I hope it works for you guys, I did find it on Reddit.

I know this shouldn't be the solution but it's something at least.

Is this for Windows 10? I can't find this option on Windows 7! :/

Yep, it's for Windows 10.