Why aren't these animals available Ranger pets?

I have been collecting pets on a ranger for the first time--I've been here since launch, but ranger was never a profession I spent a lot of time with. As I travel, it has dawned on me that there are many, MANY animals in Tyria that have no juvenile form, which ought to. For instance, the Elonian spotted hyena and mountain hyena. The central Tyrian hyenas we can tame look like they have severe mange... which is cool in a way, but I wish we could also tame the other two (healthy looking) species. I have compiled a brief list of animals that are not available in juvenile form, and I think they ought to be. I am requesting that Arenanet add at least some of these animals as ranger pet options. Look at the list and feel free to add any you'd like to see.

Canines:Spotted HyenaMountain HyenaBasenjiCoyoteWarg

Birds:Vulture

BugsParasitic DevourerArid DevourerWaspGrubGiant Beetles (there are many kinds)

Felines:Fire StalkerEarthen Stalker

Bovine:DolyakCow

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't a Bovine set.Some of them, didn't exist at release, ANet hasn't put a lot into expanding on Ranger pets, despite adding odd pets in both expansions.There isn't aw bug set, there is a spider set and a devourer set.

I thought this would be more along the lines of, whey are Raptors, Skale, and Skelk not Ranger pets, since each of them have multiple different kinds, and they're all non-sentient animals

I think it's probably because each family of pets has unique skills and each pet within a family has 1 skill which is different from the others. So adding new pets means designing (and balancing) at least 1 new skill, potentially 4 if it's a new family.

But maybe they could add alternative skins for ranger pets? So for example the hyenas would all have the same skills and stats, but you could choose how they look. Or the krytan drakehound could get a basenji skin. (I'd love a pet basenji, or even a mini one.)

I don't really care about the unique skills. If they added in hyenas and gave them the same skillset as the current species, that's fine by me. I'm more interested in species and appearance diversity.

No, there isn't a Bovine set, but wouldn't it be fun if there were? I mean, you can tame a little pink pig--why not a milk cow or a yak? Same with various types of insect.

I thought of adding raptors, skale, and skelk to the list... but I wanted to keep it short for clarity's sake and let other players add suggestions. So, thanks.

@"Weindrasi.3805" said:I don't really care about the unique skills.Right, but if they are going to the extra effort, lots of other players do care about exactly that.

And they have had trouble with "just a reskin". The Hall of Monument reward reskins are supposed to have zero game impact. However, in practice, either the non-HoM or HoM pet has often been superior to the other, including longer break bars for one of the moas (then the other), and so on.

In short, it's probably never been a priority for them because it has always ended up being more work than they think.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Weindrasi.3805" said:I don't really care about the unique skills.Right, but if they are going to the extra effort, lots of other players do care about exactly that.

And they have had trouble with "just a reskin". The Hall of Monument reward reskins are supposed to have zero game impact. However, in practice, either the non-HoM or HoM pet has often been superior to the other, including longer break bars for one of the moas (then the other), and so on.

In short, it's probably never been a priority for them because it has always ended up being more work than they think.

I'm also convinced the Black Moa is more aggressive than the other colours. I feel like it's by far the pet that's most likely to charge off and attack an enemy I didn't even notice when I think the fight is over.

@Danikat.8537 said:I think it's probably because each family of pets has unique skills and each pet within a family has 1 skill which is different from the others. So adding new pets means designing (and balancing) at least 1 new skill, potentially 4 if it's a new family.

But maybe they could add alternative skins for ranger pets? So for example the hyenas would all have the same skills and stats, but you could choose how they look. Or the krytan drakehound could get a basenji skin. (I'd love a pet basenji, or even a mini one.)

I would love an alternative skins for some of the ranger pets.Such asSand Lion - Sand LionessSylvan Hound - Nightmare HoundSnow Leopard - Alpine Stalker

As for Alpine Stalker, this is the most wanted pet for me! It's a white tiger!!!! Why cant we have this pet? ???

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

I thought this would be more along the lines of, whey are Raptors, Skale, and Skelk not Ranger pets, since each of them have multiple different kinds, and they're all non-sentient animals

Raptors and Skelk are non-sentient, so they're fair game. Skale, on the other hand, are actually intelligent; be it primitive. They worship Ancient Skale (Longer lived Skale), they have lords who lead their broods, and they are even worshiped by some humans. Though they've been down played in GW2 they are not a race that should ever be a pet. Really hope Anet makes a nod back to them now that we're back in Elona where we killed one of their ancients and saw their human worshipers.

On the pet note, though: I'd still like to push for Riders to be the land equivalent of Jellies. There's enough variety that they could fill multiple roles.