Why aren't these animals available Ranger pets?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ashantara.8731 said:There are definitely quite a few options that would make for great ranger pets. I don't know why we keep getting the strangest pets (like the Jacaranda with its unbearable sound design).

Funny, Jacaranda is my favourite Ranger pet - I love how strange it is, and the weird noises it makes. It's one of my favourite creature designs!

@Weindrasi.3805 said:I don't really care about the unique skills. If they added in hyenas and gave them the same skillset as the current species, that's fine by me. I'm more interested in species and appearance diversity.

There's already a ton of that. I've never bothered to tame all available animals as it is. There's more than enough to choose from.

@Biff.5312 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:I don't really care about the unique skills. If they added in hyenas and gave them the same skillset as the current species, that's fine by me. I'm more interested in species and appearance diversity.

There's already a ton of that. I've never bothered to tame all available animals as it is. There's more than enough to choose from.

I disagree. I think the selection of animals is quite limited.If more options are added, many people will be happy. Those who don't care/aren't interested won't be affected one way or the other.

We have many pet skins, but 95% of them are useless. I would like to transform them on skins and let us select the 4 abilities we want (single power damage, single condi damage, area power damage, area condi damage, heal, CC...)

For example, you can wander around with an owl, or a pig that has 4 CC abilities, or 2 area damage, 1 single condi damage and CC...

@"Zaklex.6308" said:I'm fine with current number of pets, so much so that I'm to lazy to get the wolf from WvW...and by the way, if you've seen real hyenas they look mangy, at least some of the ones on the African savanna's, perhaps because of fighting over food.

Mangy, yes. But not as if they have advanced Mange, a serious parasite infestation, as the GW2 Hyenas do.

Hyena: https://ravenseniors.wikispaces.com/FR+2016+Symbolical+meaning+of+Hyena

Advanced Mange in Dogs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

GW2 Tameable Hyena: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Juvenile_Hyena.jpg

This right here is the crux of the problem. It doesn't matter what any player specifically cares about or doesn't care about. It matters what groups of players care about.

In MMOs there's a gauge, almost like a fuel gauge in a car, that has two poles, immersion and mechanics. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, but leaning to what side or another.

Many players are mechanics players and it's all they see. They don't care about getting cool looking outfits even. They care about getting more stats, nailing down a better rotation, and more skills for their pets. They may not be as numerous, but they have the disadvantage of being louder than other groups. Every change made to the game that doesn't change the mechanics is going to be called lazy or a reskin.

Then there are the players who don't care about mechanics at all, or at least very very little and only care about looking cool. They aren't interested in the most efficient way to do things, or having more build options. They want fancy skinas.

Most people are in between. I'm more of an immersion player but mechanics do matter to me to some degree.

The problem is, you can't add new stats to pets for the length of the game, then switch it up to appease one group of people at the expense of another, louder group., who expect new skills.

@"OrbitalButt.5708" said:Hyenas aren't canines

Not in real life, no - but in-game they're mechanically considered to be canines. Bear in mind this is a game that thinks this is an armadillo, this is a raptor, and this is a cheetah (except when it's not).

The reasoning behind the pangolin naming was that "most people don't know what pangolins are". Perhaps there was similar reasoning for hyenas being canines? (i.e. "most people don't know that hyenas aren't canines".)

@OrbitalButt.5708 said:Hyenas aren't canines

No, but finding a visual example of a mangy dog is FAR easier than finding one of a hyena, since we can approach and handle dogs. Try walking up to a hyena with severe mange and getting it to sit still for photos. My point in the dog mange link was to give real-life visuals of mange symptoms. The tameable hyenas don't look ragged from being wild, they look downright diseased.For certain character aesthetics, having a diseased or afflicted-looking pet would be great. However, it seems odd that a disease-ridden specimen is the only option we get for hyena pets.

@Vayne.8563 said:

This right here is the crux of the problem. It doesn't matter what any player specifically cares about or doesn't care about. It matters what groups of players care about.

In MMOs there's a gauge, almost like a fuel gauge in a car, that has two poles, immersion and mechanics. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, but leaning to what side or another.

Many players are mechanics players and it's all they see. They don't care about getting cool looking outfits even. They care about getting more stats, nailing down a better rotation, and more skills for their pets. They may not be as numerous, but they have the disadvantage of being louder than other groups. Every change made to the game that doesn't change the mechanics is going to be called lazy or a reskin.

Then there are the players who don't care about mechanics at all, or at least very very little and only care about looking cool. They aren't interested in the most efficient way to do things, or having more build options. They want fancy skinas.

Most people are in between. I'm more of an immersion player but mechanics do matter to me to some degree.

The problem is, you can't add new stats to pets for the length of the game, then switch it up to appease one group of people at the expense of another, louder group., who expect new skills.

Fair point. And if totally new species are added in, then yes, new skills for them should be expected. But different breeds of hyena or dog, for instance, would reasonably have similar abilities--unless a new breed addition has drastic anatomic differences from the original (for instance, if they added a bulldog)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...