Collections are the worst thing in this game - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Collections are the worst thing in this game

13>

Comments

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

    That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

    But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

  • Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

    That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

    But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

    People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

    That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

    But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

    People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

    Thing is, its been six years. If they're pleasing the other crowd for six years, what about the ones that enjoy challenging group content? I have done too many factals before raids were introduced, i can't do them anymore. Raids in gw2 are as pointless as they come. Its extremely rare to see a raid, the most challenging pve content with this much of a poor reward system. I wouldn't even call them raids, its more of the vanilla dungeons but improved. Mechanics and design has improved, but the reward system remained a joke.

  • Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

    That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

    But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

    People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

    Thing is, its been six years. If they're pleasing the other crowd for six years, what about the ones that enjoy challenging group content? I have done too many factals before raids were introduced, i can't do them anymore. Raids in gw2 are as pointless as they come. Its extremely rare to see a raid, the most challenging pve content with this much of a poor reward system. I wouldn't even call them raids, its more of the vanilla dungeons but improved. Mechanics and design has improved, but the reward system remained a joke.

    Well, I agree that people who enjoy challenging content are neglected and the rewards are kitten. The bad thing is that if they lock good rewards behind challenging content, the casuals will cry and they are loud. Look at all the people crying because they can't get Legendary armor for doing open world stuff, lol. It's ridiculous.

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

    Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

  • @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

    Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

    A mount locked behind PvP makes no sense cause you cannot even use mounts in PvP.

    Why dont you like playing and earning rewards? Why do people always want everything the second they are logging in....

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+35k) ~750 on the AP Leaderboards.

  • Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

    Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

    I actually wouldn't mind that, I play PvP too! I need 3 more ranks to reach Dragon rank and I'm working on that right now. :) I rarely play ranked but I'm not afraid to do it. Last time I ended up in Gold which is okay for a noob like me, haha. Also, I hate Fractals but I still played it for my Celestial Red infusion (thank you guildies who took me to runs), lol. It's perfectly fine if I can't get everything just by spamming open world events. :)

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

    Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

    A mount locked behind PvP makes no sense cause you cannot even use mounts in PvP.

    Why dont you like playing and earning rewards? Why do people always want everything the second they are logging in....

    It makes sense to me. And that is the point. Just cuz I like sPvP that does not mean everyone else does and game content should locked behind it.

    I like playing. If there is a clear and interesting challenge, I am happy to do it. However, I would not go around the map looking for kitten if you pay me real money.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2018

    @otto.5684 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

    Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

    A mount locked behind PvP makes no sense cause you cannot even use mounts in PvP.

    Why dont you like playing and earning rewards? Why do people always want everything the second they are logging in....

    It makes sense to me. And that is the point. Just cuz I like sPvP that does not mean everyone else does and game content should locked behind it.

    I like playing. If there is a clear and interesting challenge, I am happy to do it. However, I would not go around the map looking for kitten if you pay me real money.

    You didn’t really counter their argument. There’s a difference between something being locked behind a particular gamemode and whether someone likes that particular game mode.

  • Fantasy.5321Fantasy.5321 Member ✭✭✭

    @Mea.5491 said:
    I actually wouldn't mind that, I play PvP too! I need 3 more ranks to reach Dragon rank and I'm working on that right now. :) I rarely play ranked but I'm not afraid to do it. Last time I ended up in Gold which is okay for a noob like me, haha. Also, I hate Fractals but I still played it for my Celestial Red infusion (thank you guildies who took me to runs), lol. It's perfectly fine if I can't get everything just by spamming open world events. :)

    I totally agree with this! I consider myself an open world player but I'm willing to do other game modes for items I really want. If you want something, you have to suck it up and work for it or forget about it, your choice.

  • TwilightSoul.9048TwilightSoul.9048 Member ✭✭✭

    I love collections, Treasure Hunter is one of my most favorite things in the entire game even though I still haven't finished it. It's something that's always at the back of my head, something I can always do when I'm bored by the new maps that offer nothing past 1-2 days.

    As the old worlds fall behind
    Our spirit reaches wide
    With no fear breathing new life
    Awaken from the dark dark slumber

    Wintersun - Awaken from the dark slumber (Spring) - Part II The Awakening

  • @otto.5684 said:
    Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

    Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

    The funny thing is, it would be the PvP players who would hate this the most. PvE players would flood ranked in droves to ram their head against the wall until they grinded out 25 wins, while primary PvP players would be crying about PvE players invading en masse.

  • The collections I hate are the ones that require getting items from winning meta events that rarely have the numbers of players to complete.

  • mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I have mixed feelings about the way collections are used. I like a lot of collections now. Some of them are super well done, like the Griffon, Caladbolg, and Roller Beetle collections, but even the good ones are held back by the fact that they're stuck using the Achievement Tab instead of a proper quest journal.

    Let's face it, a lot of the collections that are actually good, memorable and interesting aren't just collection achievements. They're traditional quests. They're all great traditional quests. And instead of a proper quest journal, they're using the Achievement's tab which gets bloated into both a tab for actual Achievements. A guide towards content. And a story journal. And it's so absolutely weird to have this basically nondiagetic interface giving us story and sidequests.

    I get that GW2 loves to be different and tries as hard to for as long as it can. And in many ways I love that aspect about it. I think focusing on dynamic events instead of traditional questing for the bulk of the content was a great choice. But traditional questing can be incredibly fun when it's not padded out as filler content. And the legendary collections, current events, and stuff like the beetle and griffon would all have felt more fun, more immersive and more enjoyable if they had proper quest journals. I like quests. It's not just "Bring me 10 bear kitten." They can be interesting, dynamic, and tell fantastic stories and make the world pop and feel alive just as much as dynamic events can. Just look at some of the better questing in something like Morrowind, or the top tier questing of Secret World, which while not great as a whole has the best questing I've ever seen.

    Crafting Astralaria and Bolt felt like such nonsense because instead of being able to properly sit down and tell the story of creating these weapons they're shoehorned into this weird element of the UI that was never intended for such things and getting a Cosmic Power, or Star Chart ends up not feeling like anything. All of the collection quests have this problem to some degree, even the good ones.

    I'm going to leave off with a video of WoodenPotatoes talking about the value of traditional quests all the way back in 2013 and it's still just as relevant as it is today.

    The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

  • Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2018

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Look at all the people crying because they can't get Legendary armor for doing open world stuff, lol. It's ridiculous.

    How dare those filthy casuals expect that legendary armor should be acquired the same way as legendary weapons!

  • Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Look at all the people crying because they can't get Legendary armor for doing open world stuff, lol. It's ridiculous.

    How dare those filthy casuals expect that legendary armor should be acquired the same way as legendary weapons!

    I'm a filthy casual too, lol. I just don't see the point of Legendary items. Ascended has the same stats and it's cheaper/easier to get. Let those poor hardcore people have their own toy.

  • FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mortrialus.3062 said:
    I have mixed feelings about the way collections are used. I like a lot of collections now. Some of them are super well done, like the Griffon, Caladbolg, and Roller Beetle collections, but even the good ones are held back by the fact that they're stuck using the Achievement Tab instead of a proper quest journal.

    Let's face it, a lot of the collections that are actually good, memorable and interesting aren't just collection achievements. They're traditional quests. They're all great traditional quests. And instead of a proper quest journal, they're using the Achievement's tab which gets bloated into both a tab for actual Achievements. A guide towards content. And a story journal. And it's so absolutely weird to have this basically nondiagetic interface giving us story and sidequests.

    I get that GW2 loves to be different and tries as hard to for as long as it can. And in many ways I love that aspect about it. I think focusing on dynamic events instead of traditional questing for the bulk of the content was a great choice. But traditional questing can be incredibly fun when it's not padded out as filler content. And the legendary collections, current events, and stuff like the beetle and griffon would all have felt more fun, more immersive and more enjoyable if they had proper quest journals. I like quests. It's not just "Bring me 10 bear kitten." They can be interesting, dynamic, and tell fantastic stories and make the world pop and feel alive just as much as dynamic events can. Just look at some of the better questing in something like Morrowind, or the top tier questing of Secret World, which while not great as a whole has the best questing I've ever seen.

    Crafting Astralaria and Bolt felt like such nonsense because instead of being able to properly sit down and tell the story of creating these weapons they're shoehorned into this weird element of the UI that was never intended for such things and getting a Cosmic Power, or Star Chart ends up not feeling like anything. All of the collection quests have this problem to some degree, even the good ones.

    I'm going to leave off with a video of WoodenPotatoes talking about the value of traditional quests all the way back in 2013 and it's still just as relevant as it is today.

    This is actually the one of few if not only post in this thread with constructive criticism. And I actually agree with the notion of it.

    Not even so much as the quest text, but more about the UI and text placement. Alot of the achievements or collection achievements DO have loads of text, except its all in the achievement window, or in obscure item descriptions or achievement objective descriptions that only appear when you mouse over.

    Its simply not visible enough to bother with. Sometimes I want to care but I simply forget. Other times I read the objects interaction window or try to pay attention to the dialogue, but miss it or simply cant bother by it every single moment.
    Theres alot of ways to simply lose track or ignore the descriptions. See how many people ask for help with something that is literally spelled out in those descriptions! Its often too obscure for some players.

    One other aspect I dislike about collections or achievement driven quests is that they arent repeatable. When you miss a piece of text or when you do a certain route through a dungeon in the open world with interactables, it cant be repeated, either for less or the same rewards.

    An especially nasty example of this, i think, is that the dwarven scavenger hunt in Desert Highlands in PoF essentially is one time per account, (through design as well as thanks to the achievement system.)

    Its ridiculous to think that in some of these cases Anet havent used characterbound progression to the fullest, and are moving towards doing everything once.

    Lack of, especially intentional lack of, replay value is something I will never understand, especially for an MMO which has repeatable achievements for the most menial tasks, but not for the achievements that are more fun.

  • Worst thing in the game? I think the word you're looking for is "Balance"

  • Jojo.6140Jojo.6140 Member ✭✭✭

    No. Collections are very fun, in fact they are the pendant of what is called "quests" in other games. I did most of the precursor-collections and just sold the precursor afterwards, even if that meant loosing money, just because i enjoy doing them.
    The more collections we get, the better.

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:

    @otto.5684 said:

    @Mea.5491 said:
    Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

    They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

    If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

    MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

    That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

    But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

    People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

    Thing is, its been six years. If they're pleasing the other crowd for six years, what about the ones that enjoy challenging group content? I have done too many factals before raids were introduced, i can't do them anymore. Raids in gw2 are as pointless as they come. Its extremely rare to see a raid, the most challenging pve content with this much of a poor reward system. I wouldn't even call them raids, its more of the vanilla dungeons but improved. Mechanics and design has improved, but the reward system remained a joke.

    Well, I agree that people who enjoy challenging content are neglected and the rewards are kitten. The bad thing is that if they lock good rewards behind challenging content, the casuals will cry and they are loud. Look at all the people crying because they can't get Legendary armor for doing open world stuff, lol. It's ridiculous.

    Casuals have a TON of content in this game. They're the ones that enjoy logging in to simply run around in the open world and brainlessly attack mobs. I want something more complicated than that, and i have nothing.

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2018

    @Blockhead Magee.3092 said:
    Worst thing in the game? I think the word you're looking for is "Balance"

    Yes and no. Balance is bad, sure, but you gotta remember that its an mmo. How many balanced mmo's do you know? Yea...

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

  • @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+35k) ~750 on the AP Leaderboards.

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.

    You're right, the other 30% is behind the Gem Store.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.

    You're right, the other 30% is behind the Gem Store.

    Only backpacks have been behind recent collections. I suggest you count every new skin that has been released and then count how many have been from collections. Grossly exaggerating this does not help you.

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.

    You're right, the other 30% is behind the Gem Store.

    Only backpacks have been behind recent collections. I suggest you count every new skin that has been released and then count how many have been from collections. Grossly exaggerating this does not help you.

    I don't know about that. Hover your cursor over the Wardrobe items and see for yourself. Most new'ish items are under "collectible".

  • @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.

    You're right, the other 30% is behind the Gem Store.

    Only backpacks have been behind recent collections. I suggest you count every new skin that has been released and then count how many have been from collections. Grossly exaggerating this does not help you.

    I don't know about that. Hover your cursor over the Wardrobe items and see for yourself. Most new'ish items are under "collectible".

    Yes, that means they exist within a collection, but you dont need to do a collection to get them.

    So obviously you are talking about things you have no idea about.

    Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+35k) ~750 on the AP Leaderboards.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.

    You're right, the other 30% is behind the Gem Store.

    Only backpacks have been behind recent collections. I suggest you count every new skin that has been released and then count how many have been from collections. Grossly exaggerating this does not help you.

    I don't know about that. Hover your cursor over the Wardrobe items and see for yourself. Most new'ish items are under "collectible".

    I suggest you back up your statement and look. Should be fairly easy as there’s a limited number of collections that award equipment.

  • FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    There's also collections for the raids... In fact collections and lack of challenging group content have very little relation to eachother.

    While I do understand that youd like more challenge, the collections have nothing to do with it.

  • @Nuka Cola.8520 said:
    They're chores, chores worse than killing 10 rats for 5xp. You made em so people solve riddles and such, but who's really doing that? One out of thousand of players? Most will be alt tabbed searching the wiki. How is this fun? How is this content? Everything new is behind collections aka chores. These same skins could've been implemented in challenging content made for team play (because its an mmo, and that's what you do in mmo's), but instead, they're made for you to be alt tabbed doing chores while watching youtube videos. This is why your expansions run out of content in under a week, while GW1 expansions kept you busy until the next exp comes out, literally. People want to play content, and that content is not being wikipedia.

    Wrong. You want to play content which is team based becasue you have the opportunity at the moment. Other people want content which can be achieved solo. That is the only distinction. Soloable content is not equal to not challenging. People like you are the reason why we have raids in this game which 80% of the palyerbase didnt even touch. Becasue finding friendly, not toxic people is harder than soloing a challenging boss.

  • The question I have is, If raids and CM fractals aren't good enough, what would appropriately challenging content look like? If you've got a meta build, all-asceneded gear with stat infusions, know your class and your rotation inside and out, there's nowhere else to go with your character. Content is natually going to be easier for you than other players. If you're fully geared, what could be added that would make it challenging in a way that couldn't be invalidated by watching a youtube video or reading a guide by someone who cleared it already? More complicated mechanics? More intricate boss attack patterns? More randomness in enemy attacks? Tighten up the time limits until you can't afford any mistakes?

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

    That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

    the issue is, this game is literally marketed towards casuals, not needing groups, and being able to obtain anything through time. you can change that without driving away the playerbase this game already has.

    Challenging group content that forces groups and organization isnt fun for most people who play this game. Theres a minority sure, but thats exactly what it is. I love raids, but i dont want them to become the norm, or anything that comes close to being anywhere near as challenging to become the norm either.

    @Revilrad.1962 said:

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:
    They're chores, chores worse than killing 10 rats for 5xp. You made em so people solve riddles and such, but who's really doing that? One out of thousand of players? Most will be alt tabbed searching the wiki. How is this fun? How is this content? Everything new is behind collections aka chores. These same skins could've been implemented in challenging content made for team play (because its an mmo, and that's what you do in mmo's), but instead, they're made for you to be alt tabbed doing chores while watching youtube videos. This is why your expansions run out of content in under a week, while GW1 expansions kept you busy until the next exp comes out, literally. People want to play content, and that content is not being wikipedia.

    Wrong. You want to play content which is team based becasue you have the opportunity at the moment. Other people want content which can be achieved solo. That is the only distinction. Soloable content is not equal to not challenging. People like you are the reason why we have raids in this game which 80% of the palyerbase didnt even touch. Becasue finding friendly, not toxic people is harder than soloing a challenging boss.

    I also agree fully with this person.

    Liadra was the one of the funnest experiences ive had in this game. She was challenging took me kitten near 40 tries to finally kill her and it made me feel good. No group required, thankfully.

    Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

  • Traced.3495Traced.3495 Member ✭✭

    I have my own ideas for worst things but I hated collections deeply the second they appeared. It's all about grayed out boxes, map completion and achievements and wardrobe and collections, that are there just to be filled. Game of checkboxes, sometimes buried deep in the UI pages.
    I got pretty frustrated about having to look up things before I took a step so the control freak in me could avoid accidentally getting some progress that I don't want, so... I generally avoid most things in the game now.
    I wish I could switch that "progression" off somehow so I could go anywhere I like without some fanfare, or pick any item up without it potentially adding to the trash my accounts collect. Were things up to me there would be only inventory to maintain, no bloaty records to monitor.

    Oh, heheh, I hate the "challenging content" too, I avoid combat whenever possible. Ooooh, I hate linear things too, like story instances.

    I have no deep opinion of rewards. I don't follow the bling, I care (or cared) about doing stuff I like, like happily running around gathering materials. Selling. Buying things I like.

    let the sky fall

  • Nuka Cola.8520Nuka Cola.8520 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:
    The question I have is, If raids and CM fractals aren't good enough, what would appropriately challenging content look like? If you've got a meta build, all-asceneded gear with stat infusions, know your class and your rotation inside and out, there's nowhere else to go with your character. Content is natually going to be easier for you than other players. If you're fully geared, what could be added that would make it challenging in a way that couldn't be invalidated by watching a youtube video or reading a guide by someone who cleared it already? More complicated mechanics? More intricate boss attack patterns? More randomness in enemy attacks? Tighten up the time limits until you can't afford any mistakes?

    In gw2 there is no such thing, that's why im complaining. In gw1, there was a bunch of content with high rate of failure when pugging. That is what i want instead of time gated content with barely anything for you to grind for.

  • Revilrad.1962Revilrad.1962 Member ✭✭
    edited July 24, 2018

    @Nuka Cola.8520 said:

    @Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:
    The question I have is, If raids and CM fractals aren't good enough, what would appropriately challenging content look like? If you've got a meta build, all-asceneded gear with stat infusions, know your class and your rotation inside and out, there's nowhere else to go with your character. Content is natually going to be easier for you than other players. If you're fully geared, what could be added that would make it challenging in a way that couldn't be invalidated by watching a youtube video or reading a guide by someone who cleared it already? More complicated mechanics? More intricate boss attack patterns? More randomness in enemy attacks? Tighten up the time limits until you can't afford any mistakes?

    In gw2 there is no such thing, that's why im complaining. In gw1, there was a bunch of content with high rate of failure when pugging. That is what i want instead of time gated content with barely anything for you to grind for.

    Look. As Dante described above, one of the GW2's Core Identities is the fact you can do Multiplayer without being social. Some examples :

    • Event system lets you participate in multiplayer content by merely being near to other players. No grouping needed.
    • Loot is instanced
    • Tagging is enough to get kills, having to do last Damage is not needed
    • A robust LFG System to get into groups without communicating

    You will probably find other examples by yourself. you can't change this core Element of the game.
    Basically only stuff which is the way you described are raids and T4 Fractals. Which are only added because 5% of players, who think like you wanted them. It was a gesture from Anet, to keep you satisfied. I am pretty sure they will not push the game more and more in that direction becasue that will leave the game with 40% of the current population If it gets extreme.

    Nevertheless I understand your complain about "challenging" content. You really need to understand _why _ something is challenging. I give you some examples :

    • 1 Time Rrquirements -> Challenge is the amount of IRL Time. More you invest more you get successfull.
    • 2 Skill Requirements -> Challenge is to know how to play game mechanics. Deterity and knowledege of game systems makes you successful.
    • 3 Social Requirements -> Challenge is to get in contact with the right people, make friends, have patience. More skilled your friends are more successful you get (you get carried)

    I am pretty sure that you understand content you suggest falls under Social Challenge, that is not really skill challenge. Raids are 70% Social, 20% Time (gear grind) and 10% skill.
    In my Opinion PvE should be a mix of 1 and 2. And ANET Markets the game like that since launch!!!! They put in some Nr. 3 into the mix (Raids) and that is very bad and is already creating not closable Gaps betweeen players which is not good at all.
    sPvP is 100% Skill challenge, If you really want skillful multiplayer conent go and play sPvP.
    that doesn't mean Skill challenge shouldn't be upped in PvE. It should be a mix of 1 and 2. You can create hard content for solo play. Like the example Dante gave.
    That also doesn''t mean GW2 is casual! In my opinion casuals DO NOT care about game mechanics or stuff they dont have. they just log in to "have fun". You cannot define someone, who invests in Ascended Armor and reads wikis and watches tutorials as Casual just because he doesn't "socialize".

    TL:DR:
    My only Issue is Social Requiremenets should never be an Issue in this game at all!! That is what GW2 is! If you change that it becomes the same MMO like all the others.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Another core element of the game was instanced group play. Dungeons. The explorable paths were intended to be this game's challenging group content. They were described as GW2's raids. They failed to serve the purpose for which they were designed and so fractals and the current iteration of raids were implemented. These are a continuation of the original design intent, not some later addition.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.