[Class Suggestion] Theurgist

Regon Phoenix.8215

@Riranor.6315 said:It honestly feels like you're upset with the fact people told you "ANET doesn't want new classes" instead of praising this and wishing it was in the game.

It honestly feels like you can't make a comment with constructive criticism in it, so you will just gonna comment how you feel. Are you feelings somehow connected with the concept?

@Riranor.6315 said:Honest opinion from me is that the concept is cool but with no precedent for it your lore actually cheapens it all and is unneeded.

This class is based on classes from GW1. Thus, i could very well fit within the game.

@Riranor.6315 said:The lore is thrown together for the sake of the class making it feel very forced.

Again, how are your feelings connected to any of this? I can't change how you feel. Your feelings are your business.

@Riranor.6315 said:However anet doesn't want anymore classes, to much reworking old stuff and including achieves, it will hit the meta harder than new elite specs, and it will throw off armor balance.

Never say never.

@Regon Phoenix.8215 said:

@Riranor.6315 said:It honestly feels like you're upset with the fact people told you "ANET doesn't want new classes" instead of praising this and wishing it was in the game.

It honestly feels like you can't make a comment with constructive criticism in it, so you will just gonna comment how you feel. Are you feelings somehow connected with the concept?

@Riranor.6315 said:Honest opinion from me is that the concept is cool but with no precedent for it your lore actually cheapens it all and is unneeded.

This class is based on classes from GW1. Thus, i could very well fit within the game.

@Riranor.6315 said:The lore is thrown together for the sake of the class making it feel very forced.

Again, how are your feelings connected to any of this? I can't change how you feel. Your feelings are your business.

@Riranor.6315 said:However anet doesn't want anymore classes, to much reworking old stuff and including achieves, it will hit the meta harder than new elite specs, and it will throw off armor balance.

Never say never.

You never addressed my mentioning of the sylvari tho?

Edit: and by forced I meant the whole city concept. That city is what cheapens the entire thing. Those classes you mentioned are native to Crystal Desert, not the city you designed.

@Riranor.6315 said:

Never say never.

Can't really address what we don't know. Until Anet confirms everything about everyone - there will still be speculations.

@Riranor.6315 said:Edit: and by forced I meant the whole city concept. That city is what cheapens the entire thing. Those classes you mentioned are native to Crystal Desert, not the city you designed.

So, creating a new area, which haven't been previously visited, cheapens the concept? Well, i guess then all elites are cheap then.

Never say never.

Can't really address what we don't know. Until Anet confirms everything about everyone - there will still be speculations.

@Riranor.6315 said:Edit: and by forced I meant the whole city concept. That city is what cheapens the entire thing. Those classes you mentioned are native to Crystal Desert, not the city you designed.

So, creating a new area, which haven't been previously visited, cheapens the concept? Well, i guess then all elites are cheap then.

"1302 AE The sylvari first appear along the Tarnished Coast, sprouting from the Pale Tree." This is the canon first sylvari according to Anet. Anet has confirmed the oldest Sylvari to be 29. It is a indisputable fact. It's not something that "we don't know." It's something you didn't know. Trying to claim they might be lying is a straw man argument, especially when Anet does foreshadow really well and doesn't blatantly lie for the plot (you fight the shadow of mordremoth literally first thing in the sylvari starting area.)

Going off this point this means HoT was also foreshadowed and not random, disproving your other point. PoF is also not random, it literally had a precedent back from GW1, it makes sense to go back to fight Balthazar because in GW1 the crystal desert is a war zone for the gods.

I am trying to be constructive here, just blunt with you as well. The skills are completely fine, but I personally thinking trying to force in a random city foreshadowed doesn't make much sense. Also the age of your city matters to, as Humans are actually aliens from another dimension brought to Tyria but the gods a couple thousand years ago (again check the GW2 timeline) so you're gonna want to figure out how ancient it is. I think what would worm better for you honestly is a more Atlantis themed plot. The crystal desert used to be an ocean but then it burnt up during a war with the gods. There are ruins all over the desert. Maybe an ancient previously underwater city could be found that is now empty but translated scriptures teach people to harness the powers of your class. It doesn't contradict any existing lore, it is foreshadowed by the history of Crystal Desert that is canon, and ties the classes you mentioned back to their original zone.

But Anet still doesn't want a new class. This is a fun topic, but if Anet went back on what they said I'd be shocked, and actually annoyed with the new inbalance. There are no signs of them changing their mind too.

@Riranor.6315 said:

Never say never.

It's something you didn't know. Trying to claim they might be lying is a straw man argument, especially when Anet does foreshadow really well and doesn't blatantly lie for the plot (you fight the shadow of mordremoth literally first thing in the sylvari starting area.)

Please, contain your projection. You are only one here who doesn't know such basic things like mysterious origins of this race:"The origin of the sylvari is still unclear. What is known is that the Pale Tree was born of a fist-sized seed from a cave which Ronan, a human soldier, found. This cave was said to have been guarded by monstrous plant-creatures, though any details on them or the location of the tree is unknown, even to modern sylvari who have been looking for this cave since their race's birth from the Pale Tree. ""In 1325 AE, a sylvari named Malyck was discovered who did not emerge from the Pale Tree or share in the Dream"

@"Regon Phoenix.8215" said:"In 1325 AE, a sylvari named Malyck was discovered who did not emerge from the Pale Tree or share in the Dream"

My argument still stands tho, we don't know his age. The burden of proof that Malyck is old enough for your city is on you, not me. At this point there is a Devil's proof, as neither of us can provide anything to support or deny Malyck's age, however since you're trying to use Malyck to prove your own point that burden is on you. How old is your city meant to be anyway? I'm curious for the sake of the humans that are meant to be on it since that was a point I brought up in a previous post.

@"Riranor.6315" said:"Also the age of your city matters to, as Humans are actually aliens from another dimension brought to Tyria but the gods a couple thousand years ago"

"Humans arrived on the Tyrian continent in 205 BE (305 CC, -5 DR). Since their arrival, three major human polities have arisen, Ascalon, Kryta, and Orr. Orr was the first region colonized." So Humans have only been around for 1536 years. So not a couple thousand of years but long enough for an ancient city I suppose.

@Riranor.6315 said:

@"Regon Phoenix.8215" said:"In 1325 AE, a sylvari named Malyck was discovered who did not emerge from the Pale Tree or share in the Dream"

At this point there is a Devil's proof, as neither of us can provide anything to support or deny Malyck's age

Literally 2 comments ago: "Can't really address what we don't know. Until Anet confirms everything about everyone - there will still be speculations."

And to that your response was:

@Riranor.6315 said:It's not something that "we don't know." It's something you didn't know. Trying to claim they might be lying is a straw man argument, especially when Anet does foreshadow really well and doesn't blatantly lie for the plot (you fight the shadow of mordremoth literally first thing in the sylvari starting area.)

So, you don't know, but you pretend to know. And you dare to talk about strawmen.[because this forum is a safe space and offending people in any way, shape or form isn't allowed, so the further part of comment was removed, because it might offend someone and offense is basically violence for these people]

P.S. "Yet, is wasn't powered by technology or modern magic, but by an ancient slumbering being. In that city mostly humans, norms and sylvaris lived together in sorts of harmony. " if you had at least read literally the second sentence you would learned these basic things:1) The city is ancient, most of residents aren't2) City was created in ancient times around ancient creature, but nowhere did i state it was build by either humans or any other current race3) While most common citizen of city fall to 3 races, it still states that "In that city mostly" thus it means that other race and other creatures live there who could be first inhabitants, but these other creatures exists in small numbers4) Nowhere did i state that sylvani lived there for thousands or even hundreds of years, i only stated that this city was isolated for quite some time

I'm going to side with the others, it makes for an interesting Elite attached to Revenant or Guardian, or even possible Necromancer (maybe even stretch and say Elementalist) but as a stand-alone profession ....... Nevermind the nightmare in development time it would create. Basically adding this is committing ANet to three new professions, not one. The logic and justification for Revenant included the idea of symmetry. Scholar and Adventure had three professions so Solider needed a third too. So based on that prior statement the fans of the game will hold ANet to their symmetry logic and want an additional Adventure and Solider. So that would mean that in the next expansion they would add this profession and three elites to it. The next one they would add another new profession and then for new elites for that one. The fifth expansion would then add a new profession and five new elites for that profession. That's on top of designing new elites for everyone else. The more professions you add though, the more trouble you have creating balance between the professions. So you're going to have Revenant and Necromancer players who will think this profession and any additional ones are a waste of time and resources that could have been spent on buffing up those two professions.

ANet breathes new life into this game mechanically with Elites and that's actually the best way to do it if they don't want to start creating more issues for themselves. I really would love to see an Elite rework of this profession. It doesn't have to be just one Elite as segments of it could be filtered out to multiple professions where appropriate. I would drop most of the story background elements as some of it clashes with where the game is currently at and where it appears to be heading next. I would instead work to fit the Elites into the current setting more seamlessly. The Embalmer could be a Necromancer Elite and the Boneburner could be a more villainous Legend for the Revenant.

@Dace.8173 said:I'm going to side with the others, it makes for an interesting Elite attached to Revenant or Guardian, or even possible Necromancer (maybe even stretch and say Elementalist) but as a stand-alone profession ....... Nevermind the nightmare in development time it would create. Basically adding this is committing ANet to three new professions, not one. The logic and justification for Revenant included the idea of symmetry. Scholar and Adventure had three professions so Solider needed a third too. So based on that prior statement the fans of the game will hold ANet to their symmetry logic and want an additional Adventure and Solider. So that would mean that in the next expansion they would add this profession and three elites to it. The next one they would add another new profession and then for new elites for that one. The fifth expansion would then add a new profession and five new elites for that profession. That's on top of designing new elites for everyone else. The more professions you add though, the more trouble you have creating balance between the professions. So you're going to have Revenant and Necromancer players who will think this profession and any additional ones are a waste of time and resources that could have been spent on buffing up those two professions.

ANet breathes new life into this game mechanically with Elites and that's actually the best way to do it if they don't want to start creating more issues for themselves. I really would love to see an Elite rework of this profession. It doesn't have to be just one Elite as segments of it could be filtered out to multiple professions where appropriate. I would drop most of the story background elements as some of it clashes with where the game is currently at and where it appears to be heading next. I would instead work to fit the Elites into the current setting more seamlessly. The Embalmer could be a Necromancer Elite and the Boneburner could be a more villainous Legend for the Revenant.

For some reason people seem to think i that i don't get Anet's idea about class symmetry. I do understand philosophy behind it.However, until Anet officially announce that they will never add any new class ever - there still exists possibility.

@Dace.8173 said:I'm going to side with the others, it makes for an interesting Elite attached to Revenant or Guardian, or even possible Necromancer (maybe even stretch and say Elementalist) but as a stand-alone profession ....... Nevermind the nightmare in development time it would create. Basically adding this is committing ANet to three new professions, not one. The logic and justification for Revenant included the idea of symmetry. Scholar and Adventure had three professions so Solider needed a third too. So based on that prior statement the fans of the game will hold ANet to their symmetry logic and want an additional Adventure and Solider. So that would mean that in the next expansion they would add this profession and three elites to it. The next one they would add another new profession and then for new elites for that one. The fifth expansion would then add a new profession and five new elites for that profession. That's on top of designing new elites for everyone else. The more professions you add though, the more trouble you have creating balance between the professions. So you're going to have Revenant and Necromancer players who will think this profession and any additional ones are a waste of time and resources that could have been spent on buffing up those two professions.

For some reason people seem to think i that i don't get Anet's idea about class symmetry. I do understand philosophy behind it.However, until Anet officially announce that they will never add any new class ever - there still exists possibility.

Ok, but they did. That's why folks have been suggesting you turn this work and make them Elites instead of a profession. ANet has, in fact, stated they are not going to add any more professions. They have stated that Elites, moving forward, is how they want to further develop the professions. They have stated that they only wanted to add Revenant in order to give everyone 3/3/3.

We like your ideas, we just think you should work them into Elites, which are far more likely to be picked up than an entirely new profession (that doesn't slide into the story easily anyway) that Arena Net has stated won't happen. That's what we've been telling you this entire time.

@Dace.8173 said:

Ok, but they did. That's why folks have been suggesting you turn this work and make them Elites instead of a profession. ANet has, in fact, stated they are not going to add any more professions.

Really? Can you link it? This aspect of the concept could have been moved over with a single link, but nobody provided one.

This was my original post before yours got removed. And I'm not providing strawman. I'm providing facts from the timeline. I've said it before burden of proof is on you and claiming we don't know enough about Malyck is saying "I can't use Malyck to form an argument." It only proves my point.

1) if the people living there aren't ancient or didn't build it how come we are just now discovering this place? If they found it surely one human would have gone back and told the others by year 1300?

2) then tell me who built it then. Maybe if you do you can tie it into existing lore another way and then it won't feel so forced like I've been saying. This point here can make your lore better is what I mean if it makes sense.

3) some point as above. Tell me who these are exactly. A writer knows what races you can find in a town so they can show up.

4) so the sylvari live there after it's discovered? Your original post implies we discovered them living there after we discovered the town because thats the order you listed the information in.

Really? Can you link it? This aspect of the concept could have been moved over with a single link, but nobody provided one.

edit: So I've searched the old threads for a little bit but this honestly isn't worth my time to continue, and this will be my last point regardless of what you address. Those of us who've been playing since HoT remember that somewhere it was said. I spent the last half hour checking the archives and news post but it's hours of info to go through just to prove something to you that more than one person remembers being said. W're all just trying to help you by letting you know new professions aren't happening but I'm done trying. For all I know though it could've been a live stream it was said on (watched them every time one was on back when HoT was being countdown). Someone at Anet has said that they don't want to add more professions though at some points. If this has changed at all we would have no idea but those of us here posting have been telling you at one point they did say "no more." I can't prove where that was said, or if all of Anet agreed with that one persons statement since it wasn't on the dev tracker (I spent most my time searching that.) so, there is the possibility, but it's highly doubtful, illogical, and would be hard to integrate.

Ok, but they did. That's why folks have been suggesting you turn this work and make them Elites instead of a profession. ANet has, in fact, stated they are not going to add any more professions.

I'm honestly not invested in this discussion enough to do the google work for you. If I felt you were actually listening to the things people were saying to you I might go dig through old information to find the exact quote but at present most of your responses have been about how this idea should be made exactly as you want it and not about how to actually mold it to fit the game.

Even if they didn't say it adding a new profession is a logistical nightmare that will not pay off for them.

@Dace.8173 said:

I'm honestly not invested in this discussion enough to do the google work for you.

Translation: i made things up and i will not prove they exists.

@"Regon Phoenix.8215" said:

I'm honestly not invested in this discussion enough to do the google work for you.

Yknow I had a person once tell me something similar about demon stance unyielding anguish. I knew that during beta it inflicted self-cripple, but they refused to believe me because "only necro has self corrupts". It was obviously removed later but i was new and didn't know where to find proof, so i was left with only what I absolutely knew to be true without proof.

Turns out I was right. Unyielding Anguish did inflict self-cripple. @Riranor.6315 obviously knows what he's talking about, so I'm more inclined to believe their rational posts rather than yours, as you clearly refuse to have a open discussion, happily talking down on others. If you want people to listen to what you have to say, then you've got to not be so pricey about it. It's no good being condescending to others.

@ChartFish.1308 said:

@"Regon Phoenix.8215" said:

Yknow I had a person once tell me something similar about demon stance unyielding anguish. I knew that during beta it inflicted self-cripple, but they refused to believe me because "only necro has self corrupts". It was obviously removed later but i was new and didn't know where to find proof, so i was left with only what I absolutely knew to be true without proof.

Turns out I was right. Unyielding Anguish
did
inflict self-cripple. @Riranor.6315 obviously knows what he's talking about, so I'm more inclined to believe their rational posts rather than yours, as you clearly refuse to have a open discussion, happily talking down on others. If you want people to listen to what you have to say, then you've got to not be so pricey about it. It's no good being condescending to others.

You don't know how burden of proof works? Just claiming stuff aren't evidence. If anything, refusing to provide proof of what you claim to be true is open admission of lying.

Translation: It is not worth the time to find something you could google for yourself, more so if all you are going to do is call people liars. I have no need to make stuff up. This is a discussion about a make believe profession in a make-believe game that will never be made. There is exactly zero incentive to lie about this, zero. So unless you are going to call everyone a liar (because everyone has said the same thing) then you have no leg to stand on. And if you are going to call us liars then you are really just coming up with any excuse to justify your profession against critique and displaying the fact that you didn't post it to actually have a discussion about it but to be praised for your "ideas."

Turns out I was right. Unyielding Anguish
did
inflict self-cripple. @Riranor.6315 obviously knows what he's talking about, so I'm more inclined to believe their rational posts rather than yours, as you clearly refuse to have a open discussion, happily talking down on others. If you want people to listen to what you have to say, then you've got to not be so pricey about it. It's no good being condescending to others.

You don't know how burden of proof works? Just claiming stuff aren't evidence. If anything, refusing to provide proof of what you claim to be true is open admission of lying.

That's not how burden of proof works. Opting not to provide it does not mean the statement is a lie. Nowhere does burden of proof maintain that failure to provide proof makes the statement a lie, unlike cake (if you want to get technical about burdern of proof the burden of proof is on you to justify a need for this profession in the first place since you are the one who made the initial claim that this profession should be added to the game). I'm not going to get the information because I don't think you are worth the time. I also happen to agree with @Riranor.6315 that it was likely something said during a live stream. Which would mean that there is nothing to link you too. But if you did the reseach you would see numerous times when players reference a discussion the Devs had in which they stated that Elites is how they want to do new class mechanics moving forward. But since you would rather call people liars you've pretty much confirmed, you are not here to discuss anything. You just want to be praised.

No one is invested in this argument enough to be baited by you calling them liars. At the end of the day, we all walk away from this knowing that this will never see the light of day. We tried to help you and all you've done is rebuke people for being honest with you. It's amusing that you call honestly lying but hey .... that's life.

@Dace.8173 said:Translation: It is not worth the time to find something you could google for yourself, more so if all you are going to do is call people liars. I have no need to make stuff up. This is a discussion about a make believe profession in a make-believe game that will never be made. There is exactly zero incentive to lie about this, zero. So unless you are going to call everyone a liar (because everyone has said the same thing) then you have no leg to stand on. And if you are going to call us liars then you are really just coming up with any excuse to justify your profession against critique and displaying the fact that you didn't post it to actually have a discussion about it but to be praised for your "ideas."

Translation: i made stuff up and now i can't prove their existence, so now i will go all defensive about it.

@Dace.8173 said:That's not how burden of proof works. Opting not to provide it does not mean the statement is a lie. Nowhere does burden of proof maintain that failure to provide proof makes the statement a lie

Really? Then i can fly and shoot lasers out of my eyes, and i also have met Batman on several occasions. I even have several selfies with him, but i will show them. I will not show my flying abilities or my laser eyes. Opting not to provide it does not mean the statement is a lie. Nowhere does burden of proof maintain that failure to provide proof makes the statement a lie

• 2 years later...