• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MagnusGrim.1594 said:

@ykamilak.3610 said:There is no performance improvement relevant to MacOS Mojave beta which I have started to use since a several weeks. Actually, after I switched to 64-bit client from 32-bit client, the game has become unplayable for me sişnce fps decreased dramatically and I had to delete the game :(

Have you tried running it from the terminal with -forwardrenderer ? Maybe I'm just imagining things but it appears in my case at least to be more stable and run smoother./Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2 -forwardrenderer

Thanks for the hint. Have looked at command-line options page. Have set dx9single and forward rendering. Looks better.

Hi,I have a weird issue, if i right click and try to move the camera up and down, it doesn't work. It's like the right click is locked on the X axis.Does anybody know any fix? I searched in the options, but there doesn't seem to be a "lock camera on X axis" option.. so i think it's a bug.If i tick the "Use scrolling gestures to switch direction" option, i can scroll on the trackpad and it moves the camera up and down.. but it's really weird to do that while using a mouse.Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had nothing but better and better game play now with the MAC 64 -bit client. Between this and Apple, who I sent copies of all crashes etc. I have rarely experienced any lag nor crashes. It used to be, I could not run with a squad in WVW because it would just slow down so bad, like flip cards for old cartoons. Anytime there were large groups of people in any area I avoided them to be able to keep playing. I was never able to run Team Speak and GW2 at the same time or CRASH.All great now!! =) <3

FYI I also play only with mousepad! I have a pc which I can play on as well but I am useless with the mouse!

I'd love to know if this is going to be fixed, because it seems like it would be negatively impacting performance:

Your Umbra Occlusion Booster evaluation license has expired. Pleasecontact sales@umbrasoftware.com to obtain a valid license or toextend your evaluation period. In case of techical problems pleasecontact support@umbrasoftware.com.Applications using an expired evaluation version of Umbra OcclusionBooster will execute but view frustum and occlusion culling will bedisabled.If you have a valid evaluation key, supply it as a parameter toUmbra31::Library::setEvaluationKey().

I just recently started trying to play again, after giving up nearly 2 years ago.

Coherent host crash on login screen still happens nearly 30% of the time. I'm a software developer. If I had an application that crashed as frequently as this, I'd have identified the problem within a day, and probably fixed it soon after.

Crashes to desktop still occur several times per day for me. Especially in the newer zones. Sometimes I get a message that the crash info has been sent to ANET. Most times not, though. But still, it's often enough that if I was a developer, I'd be running this damn thing in a debugger so that I could figure out what was going on to cause crashes this often.

It's sad, because if I ignore the time that I've spent trying to re-log into the game after a crash (after invariably missing out on an event that I was participating in), and the rewards I've missed out on, I'd enjoy the game. But instead, it's incredibly frustrating, and I'm thinking that I should instead spend more time on games that have a stronger commitment to OS X support.

@pae.5362 said:I just recently started trying to play again, after giving up nearly 2 years ago.

Coherent host crash on login screen still happens nearly 30% of the time. I'm a software developer. If I had an application that crashed as frequently as this, I'd have identified the problem within a day, and probably fixed it soon after.

Crashes to desktop still occur several times per day for me. Especially in the newer zones. Sometimes I get a message that the crash info has been sent to ANET. Most times not, though. But still, it's often enough that if I was a developer, I'd be running this kitten thing in a debugger so that I could figure out what was going on to cause crashes this often.

It's sad, because if I ignore the time that I've spent trying to re-log into the game after a crash (after invariably missing out on an event that I was participating in), and the rewards I've missed out on, I'd enjoy the game. But instead, it's incredibly frustrating, and I'm thinking that I should instead spend more time on games that have a stronger commitment to OS X support.

You are using the 64 bit version, right? Most of the complaints I and others have about it fall into non-blocker status: slowness, graphics glitches, and the like. The only time I have had an actual crash with the new client have happened when everyone (no matter what platform they were on) was having them.

The 32 bit client was crashtastic though. Even on the lowest possible graphics settings it was 50/50 that I would crash if too many people were around for something.

If you are on the 64 bit version you might have a corrupted copy somehow. Either run the fix instructions on it or just delete and redownload (actually the latter is probably safer). If that does not fix it do the usual and look if there is anything else that might be causing a problem. Hardware that does not meet anet's minimum specs? An OS version years out of date? Trying to run over wifi rather than using ethernet (that causes a lot of dropped packets which crash game clients)?

just here to announce that wine added support for vulkan on osx

if arenanet ever adds vulkan 1.0 support, they can practically release a wine port with better performance and fewer bugs than the native client.

for everyone who has issues with wine, the technology is better than you think.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-macOS-Vulkan-MoltenVK

@"pae.5362" said:I just recently started trying to play again, after giving up nearly 2 years ago.

Crashes to desktop still occur several times per day for me. Especially in the newer zones. Sometimes I get a message that the crash info has been sent to ANET. Most times not, though. But still, it's often enough that if I was a developer, I'd be running this kitten thing in a debugger so that I could figure out what was going on to cause crashes this often.

Exact same issue on my game as well, I'm trying to muscle through it, but I can't even repair the client... support says to go to terminal and enter /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2 -repair to repair the client. Terminal returns "no such file or directory." So i open the package and lo and behold: DEa7UbF.png

Idk what I'm supposed to do if the client is broken to the point directories are missing. I would just redownload the game, but we have moderately slow, capped internet. My monthly allotment is ~13GB before being relegated to DSL speeds.

@"Jondor Horuku.9504" said:Exact same issue on my game as well, I'm trying to muscle through it, but I can't even repair the client... support says to go to terminal and enter /Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2 -repair to repair the client. Terminal returns "no such file or directory." So i open the package and lo and behold:

You are still using the old client. You should definitely download the new one, which uses the data files from the old client so you might not have to download the game again.

@EchoPadder.7546 said:

@"Jondor Horuku.9504" said:Exact same issue on my game as well, I'm trying to muscle through it, but I can't even repair the client... support says to go to terminal and enter
/Applications/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2 -repair
to repair the client. Terminal returns "no such file or directory." So i open the package and lo and behold:

You are still using the old client. You should definitely download the new one, which uses the data files from the old client so you might not have to download the game again.

That's... correct but bizarre... I distinctly remember downloading the 64bit, and the 64bit has library files and remembered my old password, I have no idea how it got deleted/overwritten. Thanks!

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@"Menadena.7482" said:New Macbook pro laptops ..... I wonder how they will perform with GW2?

Anyone lucky and wealthy enough to play GW2 on the new 4-core and 6-core MBP yet?Or even with the Blackmagic Thunderbolt 3 eGPU?

REALLY curious...

It seems apple itself is the main source of the new MBPs right now so that may be the slowdown, even the big stores still say they are pending. If my preferred source (Small Dog Electronics) does not have the 15" models later this week I will give them a call to get an ETA.

The eGPU most likely will not be a help in most cases. Even on my 2013 iMac guild wars is CPU bound rather than even touching the GPU.

Here's a report on the Blackmagic TB3 eGPU:

My system is a thunderbolt 3 MBP:MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)2.6 GHz Intel Core i716 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3Radeon Pro 450 2048 MBI have GW2 installed on an external SSD connected via thunderbolt 2.

The eGPU is a Radeon Pro 580 with 8192 MBI put settings at autodetect for the eGPU which gave:Animation: HighAntialiasing: FXAAEnvironment, LOD Distance: MediumReflections: Terrain & SkyTextures: HighRender Sampling: NativeShadows: MediumShaders, Postprocessing, Character Model Limit, Character Model Quality: High

I turned on High-Res Character Textures and Vertical Sync.

Using an external LG 5K monitor (thunderbolt 3 connection) with the built in graphics running at 1920x1080, I can get around 25 fps in a sparse map and around 14 fps at the flax farm in verdant brink.

Using the Blackmagic eGPU, framerate goes up to around 45 or so on a spare map and manages to hang around 30 fps in the flax farm.

My methodology for measuring probably isn't the best as I'm eyeballing the FPS report on the options page. It does feel noticeably smoother with the eGPU, but there are still times when I'll have momentary hitches when rotating the camera around. I haven't tried anything more extensive like WvW or even Lion's Arch yet.

Some gotchas for using the eGPU:1) The GW2 client appears to have some kind of bug if I try to run it on the external 5K monitor with the laptop monitor also open. The displayed area appears to be the main laptop monitor size and pushed to the bottom left corner with red screen for the rest. The mouse inputs are still responding as if it is a full screen clicking on menu items is a challenge.

If I close the cover so that the external monitor is the only monitor, then everything works and is sized correctly. This was how I did my comparisons.

2) The eGPU by default will be used to drive the monitors that are connected to it. So if you just connect it, it will not drive the built-in laptop monitor. It's possible to change some OS settings to make it drive the internal monitor also, but I had a hard time evaluating if this was improving the framerate. It was certainly not as good as the external monitor, but it also seemed better than the low 14 fps that the options page was reporting. I don't know if this setup was causing the options FPS report to be inaccurate.

3) The eGPU comes with a really short TB3 cable (1.5 ft). It looks like in order to get the full bandwidth over TB3, the cable length can only be this long. A longer 3 ft cable has half the bandwidth rating. This made positioning the eGPU with my current desk setup a bit of a challenge.

Overall, I'm pleased to be able to play GW2 this well in MacOS. I had been previously using an older MacBook Pro with bootcamp and the eGPU will let me retire that system (and reclaim some desk space).

@confucious.3498 said:Here's a report on the Blackmagic TB3 eGPU:

My system is a thunderbolt 3 MBP:MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)2.6 GHz Intel Core i716 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3Radeon Pro 450 2048 MBI have GW2 installed on an external SSD connected via thunderbolt 2.

The eGPU is a Radeon Pro 580 with 8192 MBI put settings at autodetect for the eGPU which gave:Animation: HighAntialiasing: FXAAEnvironment, LOD Distance: MediumReflections: Terrain & SkyTextures: HighRender Sampling: NativeShadows: MediumShaders, Postprocessing, Character Model Limit, Character Model Quality: High

I turned on High-Res Character Textures and Vertical Sync.

Using an external LG 5K monitor (thunderbolt 3 connection) with the built in graphics running at 1920x1080, I can get around 25 fps in a sparse map and around 14 fps at the flax farm in verdant brink.

Using the Blackmagic eGPU, framerate goes up to around 45 or so on a spare map and manages to hang around 30 fps in the flax farm.

My methodology for measuring probably isn't the best as I'm eyeballing the FPS report on the options page. It does feel noticeably smoother with the eGPU, but there are still times when I'll have momentary hitches when rotating the camera around. I haven't tried anything more extensive like WvW or even Lion's Arch yet.

Some gotchas for using the eGPU:1) The GW2 client appears to have some kind of bug if I try to run it on the external 5K monitor with the laptop monitor also open. The displayed area appears to be the main laptop monitor size and pushed to the bottom left corner with red screen for the rest. The mouse inputs are still responding as if it is a full screen clicking on menu items is a challenge.

If I close the cover so that the external monitor is the only monitor, then everything works and is sized correctly. This was how I did my comparisons.

2) The eGPU by default will be used to drive the monitors that are connected to it. So if you just connect it, it will not drive the built-in laptop monitor. It's possible to change some OS settings to make it drive the internal monitor also, but I had a hard time evaluating if this was improving the framerate. It was certainly not as good as the external monitor, but it also seemed better than the low 14 fps that the options page was reporting. I don't know if this setup was causing the options FPS report to be inaccurate.

3) The eGPU comes with a really short TB3 cable (1.5 ft). It looks like in order to get the full bandwidth over TB3, the cable length can only be this long. A longer 3 ft cable has half the bandwidth rating. This made positioning the eGPU with my current desk setup a bit of a challenge.

Overall, I'm pleased to be able to play GW2 this well in MacOS. I had been previously using an older MacBook Pro with bootcamp and the eGPU will let me retire that system (and reclaim some desk space).

Thanks, I did not expect to see as much difference. On my iMac it seems all the graphics are going through the intel chip. That is strange about the cable though as the LG 5k monitor comes with a 2 metre one.

Follow up about the bug, I figured out a workaround.The bug can be seen here https://imgur.com/a/ADqneRL One image is running on a 5K display and the other is running on a 1920x1080 display.

The workaround is to go into Display Preferences > Arrangement and assign the menu bar to the display that I want to run GW2 in.This lets it launch with the correct resolution.

Ever since the update (July 24 2018) GW2 completely crashes only a minute or two into the game. I have a macbook pro, i7 processor, and run most of my graphics settings on low. I was able to play fine yesterday but not after downloading the update today.

I'm unable to make a custom soundtrack function on the Mac Client (64bit). I followed the instructions exatly (here https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack) and even tried several playlist formats as my wife on her windows PC was able to get a PLS playlist format to work for her. I suspect it is a bug causing it not to work on the Mac as I have gone through everything listed in the wiki over and over to get it to work. I realize this is not on the level of a game crash, but it is a potential bug. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

I have not even used the game as a music player since the first week. I designed custom soundtracks in itunes. Not only does this give me control of which of multiple soundtracks to start at any given time I also do not have the soundtracks change just because I changed zones or the like. I just wish there was a good way to query information about my session (like what character I am on) so I could use that to start the right one but eh.

Hello everyone, the problem that I find is that when I start GW2 (last version of client 64 bit) appears a black window "untitled" and crashes the whole system except the cursor, but obviously can not do anything and I have to forcibly turn it off by the PowerI have macbook pro 13 early 2011 (I only changed 8gb from ram and HD 500gb)

any solutions?