Ritualist as a Class? Or Elite Spec?

Lily.1935

@"Anchoku.8142" said:Lily, your literary enthusiasm is OP. Unfortunately, I have not played GW so I had to use the Wiki, which made Ritualist remind me of a minion master using Death Magic.

I may not understand your concept but a few random brain cells fired, spurriously, in response.

F1-F5 would consume LF, like Scourge, to create urns/shades/banners that could buff and/or debuff.

Utilities might be spirit-minions that can buff as well as debuff.

In terms of GW2 mechanics, what profession mechanics are similar enough to be "lifted" to provide Ritualist-like skills to Necromancer?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "lifted. But I'll give my best interpretation. If i'm mistaken please feel free to correct my mistake.

In terms of Mechanics, the Ritualist is most Similar to Engineer. The Big elements of the ritualist's design are their unique urns which provide some bonus to the ritualist and have a summoning effect as well as a drop effect depending on the urn. Then we have Spirits, which have some similar functionality to Engineer Gyros and Turrets. They can be explosive, hitting the field and instantly make an impact, much like shredder gyro or Blast gyro. They can Sustain as a guard sort of effect, much like Flame Turret or Net turret. They can be highly defensive, like Purge Gyro, Bulwark Gyro or Stealth Gyro. They are also healers, much like Medkit Engineer in a few ways, using internal synergies with spirits and urns to execute massive healing. Which has similarities to Engineer healing which has synergy with blast finishers and bonuses with Gyros and turrets. And lastly they have weapon spells which usually give a short burst of damage or life stealing to allies. This last one isn't something the engineer really has access to although it was in their design space consideration during the Alpha version of GW2 were their kits could be picked up by allies.

Really what I'm looking at is seeing how the necromancer could Achieve some of the same Goals without treading on the same ground. Engineer takes a more Chaotic approach to these types of abilities, while I feel that the Main difference of Engineer and Ritualist mechanically was their speed. Engineer is very rhythmic and plays beat by beat. Its quite an involved and fast class. Ritualist can be involved too, but they are much slower and a bit more performative in their approach. So, the idea would be that how a Necromancer Ritualist elite spec could diversify itself would be through a slower support class who's abilities are singularly impactful with their synergies with having these urns or spirits rather than the engineer's low impact high synergy traits and abilities that string a long chain of heal's and support abilities.... I hope that makes sense, but I might just be rambling a bit too much.

The Urn in GW1 was a bundle item. Bundles didn't have skills attached to them in GW1 like they do in GW2. And mechanically Urns in GW2 were supposed to be Kits, much Iike I mentioned above. But Kits are honestly not that different from Shroud or Conjure weapons. For me personally, it wouldn't be a stretch To feed Life force into an Urn to summon forth its powers in terms of flavor. But You do have a good idea there. I still feel that it should most closely resemble a Kit with life force costs, but having a dropped Urn act as a pulsing AoE buff/debuff sounds like an awesome idea.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd prefer Ritualist to be a profession in its own right rather than an elite spec. I don't think it's really too similar to Engineer. They look similar on paper, but in practice, nobody plays pure turret spammer or gyro spammer Engineer because kits are too valuable - plus Engineer attack skills are nothing like Ritualist spells, and don't really synergise with the presence of turrets. The only similarity I see between healing Engineer and Restoration Ritualist is that they both do healing.

That said, we're not likely to get new professions because of the elite spec format, and I agree that Necro is the best fit for a Ritualist elite spec. Revenant has some thematic similarities, but they're superficial and vastly outweighed by the differences (plus for my money they're weaker than the thematic similarities with the Necromancer).

My main question about your suggestions is: where do the Ritualist's lightning spells fit into it? For me, those were an important part of the Ritualist's identity. Would they be the skills given by the urns? Or the weapon skills for the new weapon? Would the Ritualist spec change the Necro's other weapon skills to lightning spells? (Presumably just changing the visual effect.)

Also, how would you avoid the urns being too similar to the Firebrand's tomes? I'm imagining that there would be a damage urn, a healing urn, and a support urn, and that seems very like tomes to me.

They could translate spirit spam into being something like the new Symmetra from Overwatch. Basically the spirits would be realitvely weak individually but you would get ammo for them so you could shoot them out and place them within a medium sized range and try to create nests of them to add up damage. This could allow for more mobility that is typically lacking in turret classes, and a faster paced combattant who could summon a bunch of spirits as they go along, and can easily replace them. And then you could have more specialty spirits that are more durable and longer lasting, possibly even mobile or at least bound to the ritualist.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:Personally I'd prefer Ritualist to be a profession in its own right rather than an elite spec. I don't think it's really too similar to Engineer. They look similar on paper, but in practice, nobody plays pure turret spammer or gyro spammer Engineer because kits are too valuable - plus Engineer attack skills are nothing like Ritualist spells, and don't really synergise with the presence of turrets. The only similarity I see between healing Engineer and Restoration Ritualist is that they both do healing.

That said, we're not likely to get new professions because of the elite spec format, and I agree that Necro is the best fit for a Ritualist elite spec. Revenant has some thematic similarities, but they're superficial and vastly outweighed by the differences (plus for my money they're weaker than the thematic similarities with the Necromancer).

My main question about your suggestions is: where do the Ritualist's lightning spells fit into it? For me, those were an important part of the Ritualist's identity. Would they be the skills given by the urns? Or the weapon skills for the new weapon? Would the Ritualist spec change the Necro's other weapon skills to lightning spells? (Presumably just changing the visual effect.)

Also, how would you avoid the urns being too similar to the Firebrand's tomes? I'm imagining that there would be a damage urn, a healing urn, and a support urn, and that seems very like tomes to me.

Lighting effects would be on their weapon of Choice and the Urn. Also their would be only one urn available at a time.

Ritualist falls closer to Revenant, and is thematically closer to Revenant based on ingame descriptions and certain mechanics portrayal of skills, I could see it being given as a ES but doubt it since it’s spiritual successor is already in game.

At the person who keeps saying that Revenants aren’t close to Ritualists if you go to the links on Ritualist and Revenant respectively, the descriptions of their classes are very similar in where/how they get their powers, how they help focus their powers, and how they function, ie Channeling Spirits/Legends from the mists to supply their abilities, the blindfold is only aesthetic in game, while in the lore of both classes they share the same purpose to assist them in channeling their powers better, they have a similar class icon of an Eye, they are both support oriented and combat oriented.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Ritualist falls closer to Revenant, and is thematically closer to Revenant based on ingame descriptions and certain mechanics portrayal of skills, I could see it being given as a ES but doubt it since it’s spiritual successor is already in game.

At the person who keeps saying that Revenants aren’t close to Ritualists if you go to the links on Ritualist and Revenant respectively, the descriptions of their classes are very similar in where/how they get their powers, how they help focus their powers, and how they function, ie Channeling Spirits/Legends from the mists to supply their abilities, the blindfold is only aesthetic in game, while in the lore of both classes they share the same purpose to assist them in channeling their powers better, they have a similar class icon of an Eye, they are both support oriented and combat oriented.

Except the necromancer is closer. We see this in the multiple likes I've provided. Actually read it please.

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:Ritualist falls closer to Revenant, and is thematically closer to Revenant based on ingame descriptions and certain mechanics portrayal of skills, I could see it being given as a ES but doubt it since it’s spiritual successor is already in game.

The revenant does not perform rituals in the way they are described in game. The revenant isn't a priest and no revenant has become a priest. They don't honor their ancestors. The revenant channels legends of the mists much like the dervish channels the power of the gods. Both revenant and necromancer does commune with the mists. But the you are limiting their scope a bit too much by comparing them.m to ritualist. The ritualist only communes with spirits of the underworld and realm of torment. Which the necromancer currently does. The necromancer does channel sprits. The revenant borrows knowledge from the legends they channel as well as magic. And lose that magic and seems to lose their unique knowledge when they release them. The revenant isn't limited to the dead. We have this suggested in the story but its possible they could channel living legends trapped in the mists or even legends of the future. The revenant also uses their own body as the medium. Something the ritualist does not do nor would they ever do it. The revenant also is a martial profession. And their identity is centered around using the legends to enhance their own performance. Like a dervish does with God magic. Ritualist and necromancer are both capable of this to a lesser extent but they don't maintain the identity of the spirits they absorb. The revenant has effectively perfected a single spell. They have very poor magic abilities aside from that one spell. Canonically the necromancer performs all the rights and rultiuals the ritualist would be doing.

And to help further drive the point home. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/White_Mantle_Ritualist

@Lily.1935 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Ritualist falls closer to Revenant, and is thematically closer to Revenant based on ingame descriptions and certain mechanics portrayal of skills, I could see it being given as a ES but doubt it since it’s spiritual successor is already in game.

Except the necromancer is closer. We see this in the multiple likes I've provided. Actually read it please.

I did read them, and if you read the descriptions of the classes aka portions of he classes lore, both Revenant and Revenant channel spirits from the mists, they both use blindfolds to focus their channeling, and the spirits they channel bestow their abilities to the character, and their class symbol is very similar, Necromancer don’t do either of those. And even the Ritualist page talks about how their interaction with Dead is completely different from the Necromancers...

Again Revenants are the spiritual successor to the Ritualist.

The Ritualist aren’t priests look at the class description, it doesn’t use that term at all.

@Lily.1935 said:

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:Ritualist falls closer to Revenant, and is thematically closer to Revenant based on ingame descriptions and certain mechanics portrayal of skills, I could see it being given as a ES but doubt it since it’s spiritual successor is already in game.

The revenant does not perform rituals in the way they are described in game. The revenant isn't a priest and no revenant has become a priest. They don't honor their ancestors. The revenant channels legends of the mists much like the dervish channels the power of the gods. Both revenant and necromancer does commune with the mists. But the you are limiting their scope a bit too much by comparing them.m to ritualist. The ritualist only communes with spirits of the underworld and realm of torment. Which the necromancer currently does. The necromancer does channel sprits. The revenant borrows knowledge from the legends they channel as well as magic. And lose that magic and seems to lose their unique knowledge when they release them. The revenant isn't limited to the dead. We have this suggested in the story but its possible they could channel living legends trapped in the mists or even legends of the future. The revenant also uses their own body as the medium. Something the ritualist does not do nor would they ever do it. The revenant also is a martial profession. And their identity is centered around using the legends to enhance their own performance. Like a dervish does with God magic. Ritualist and necromancer are both capable of this to a lesser extent but they don't maintain the identity of the spirits they absorb. The revenant has effectively perfected a single spell. They have very poor magic abilities aside from that one spell. Canonically the necromancer performs all the rights and rultiuals the ritualist would be doing.

And to help further drive the point home.

Sorry but the name of that NPC doesn’t drive home the point since it clearly states that the Npc can be one of 4 professions and the Necromancer is one of them and why it has Necromancer skills listed and not Ritualist skills and it even states that they aren’t the ritual profession from prophecies.

And dervishes assume an avatar of a god not channel it, while Revenants channel spirits.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Sorry but the name of that NPC doesn’t drive home the point since it clearly states that the Npc can be one of 4 professions and the Necromancer is one of them and why it has Necromancer skills listed and not Ritualist skills and it even states that they aren’t the ritual profession from prophecies.

And dervishes assume an avatar of a god not channel it, while Revenants channel spirits.

Look at the original. They were ritualist without being ritualist class in game. Also, they were priests. I played a lot of gw1. And I know that they would often act as the priests of grenth in Cantha. It was in the GW factions panflet I believe. I have it at home but can't get to it right now. But I will find it. You're working with lacking information which explains the confusion. And the GW1 wiki is t the easiest thing to navigate.... used to spend hours on it just reading. Showering for new information.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

For a profession that supposedly doesn't have anything in common with the necromancer they sure talk about death and harnessing the power of death a lot.... I'm reading some quotes from Ritualist NPCs from GW1.

@Lily.1935 said:

Look at the original. They were ritualist without being ritualist class in game. Also, they were priests. I played a lot of gw1. And I know that they would often act as the priests of grenth in Cantha. It was in the GW factions panflet I believe. I have it at home but can't get to it right now. But I will find it. You're working with lacking information which explains the confusion. And the GW1 wiki is t the easiest thing to navigate.... used to spend hours on it just reading. Showering for new information.

Direct description from Anet:

“Ritualists channel otherworldly energies that summon allies from the void. Mystic binding rituals bend those allies to the Ritualist's will. Ritualists hood their eyes to commune with spirits that grant great power and protection. The energy they channel drives Ritualist skills.”

“The Ritualist can also use the remains of the dead to defend the living, not by reanimating corpses as a Necromancer would, but through the ritual use of urns and ashes.”

And those excerpts are from the booklet.

Necromancers don’t channel Spirits from the Mists Revenants do, the little excerpt that mentions “rituals” for Wells is a far cry since Wells were a skill from GW of exploiting corpses which isn’t mechanically available in GW2 so they removed that portion and made the skills work in GW2s game environment.

And again that Npc was a Necromancer not a Ritualist, it’s just the “name” of the Npc.

@Lily.1935 said:

For a profession that supposedly doesn't have anything in common with the necromancer they sure talk about death and harnessing the power of death a lot.... I'm reading some quotes from Ritualist NPCs from GW1.

They channel spirits which are from the dead, so yeah they would talk about the dead, but they aren’t using death magic..... Necromancers don’t do that, they Reanimate corpses and exploit those while using Death Magic..

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

They channel spirits which are from the dead, so yeah they would talk about the dead, but they aren’t using death magic..... Necromancers don’t do that, they Reanimate corpses and exploit those while using Death Magic..

The necromancer absolutely does channel spirits. This is cannon. It happens in the personal story. Hell, Trahearne does it right next to you. And if you actually read Last straw Marjory channels a spirit of a young boy to help her solve his murder. You can't say you've read the links if you've overlooked that major detail.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Life force is a special type of energy that necromancers draw from their enemies. Once they’ve collected enough life force, necromancers can activate their Death Shroud, entering a spirit form. Life force can be gathered from certain weapon attacks and especially from deaths that happen near the necromancer.

In Death Shroud, a necromancer’s stored life force acts as a secondary health bar, and they gain access to a special set of skills that can only be used in Death Shroud.

It's like you didn't even read any of it. Seriously death shroud is literally made of spirits.

@Lily.1935 said:

The necromancer absolutely does channel spirits. This is cannon. It happens in the personal story. Hell, Trahearne does it right next to you. And if you actually read Last straw Marjory channels a spirit of a young boy to help her solve his murder. You can't say you've read the links if you've overlooked that major detail.

The little boy wasn’t being channeled... that’s like saying anyone that interacts with the spirits of Ascalon are channeling them...

And Traeherne wasn’t channelinng spirits he channels the magic of Orr when he performed the spell that cleansed the waters of Orr...

For someone that says they know the lore has some gaps and leaps and bounds.

@Lily.1935 said:

Life force is a special type of energy that necromancers draw from their enemies. Once they’ve collected enough life force, necromancers can activate their Death Shroud, entering a spirit form. Life force can be gathered from certain weapon attacks and especially from deaths that happen near the necromancer.

In Death Shroud, a necromancer’s stored life force acts as a secondary health bar, and they gain access to a special set of skills that can only be used in Death Shroud.

It's like you didn't even read any of it. Seriously death shroud is literally made of spirits.

That doesn’t say Death Shroud is made of spirits that saying a spirit form not channeling a spirit or made of spirits,... leaps and bounds.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

The little boy wasn’t being channeled... that’s like saying anyone that interacts with the spirits of Ascalon are channeling them...

And Traeherne wasn’t channelinng spirits he channels the magic of Orr when he performed the spell that cleansed the waters of Orr...

I wasn't talking about that part. It was earlier in the story. He channels beings from the underworld when the group was surrounded by risen. Also there was a risen lich. Don't remember the story name.

Also, she did channel his spirit. He wasn't just roaming the streets like that. And its stated that another necromancer banished him. Something that ritualists are capable of doing. You're really trying to split hairs to disprove it, but the facts don't lie. Necromancer channel the dead, they commune with spirits, they call forth energies and beings from the underworld and realm of torment. Clearly we can see the only difference between them is the ritualist is just more limited in the scope of what they can do.

@Lily.1935 said:

I wasn't talking about that part. It was earlier in the story. He channels beings from the underworld when the group was surrounded by risen. Also there was a risen lich. Don't remember the story name.

Also, she did channel his spirit. He wasn't just roaming the streets like that. And its stated that another necromancer banished him. Something that ritualists are capable of doing. You're really trying to split hairs to disprove it, but the facts don't lie. Necromancer channel the dead, they commune with spirits, they call forth energies and beings from the underworld and realm of torment. Clearly we can see the only difference between them is the ritualist is just more limited in the scope of what they can do.

They don’t channel the dead they Reanimate the dead, and you keep making these claims without the parts to back them up Traeherne never channeled a Lich, the dead kids Spirit was there right after his death not from her channeling his spirit into herself or her magic she didn’t call upon his spirit from the Mists, you are stretching to make something fit that clearly doesn’t.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

They don’t channel the dead they Reanimate the dead, and you keep making these claims without the parts to back them up Traeherne never channeled a Lich, the dead kids Spirit was there right after his death not from her channeling his spirit into herself or her magic she didn’t call upon his spirit from the Mists, you are stretching to make something fit that clearly doesn’t.

Yes they do. Read the skill descriptions. They say summon. The necromancer from gw2 doesn't reanimate corpses anymore. They channel them from the underworld. Cannon. I believe there was an AMA about it before. But again you are just factually wrong.

@Lily.1935 said:

Yes they do. Read the skill descriptions. They say summon. The necromancer from gw2 doesn't reanimate corpses anymore. They channel them from the underworld. Cannon. I believe there was an AMA about it before. But again you are just factually wrong.

Summoning isn’t channeling.... and it doesn’t say that they are summoned from the Mists, and minions aren’t Spirits the only one close would be Shadow Fiend. And remember corpses aren’t exploitable objects due to game Engine and mechanics so no reanimating the minions from the actual dead bodies, same as how wells just erupt from the ground and not exploitable dead bodies.

Please show me where it says that Necromancers channel Spirits from the Mists to fuel their spells.

Only one class in Gw2 has that description on their magic.

Please link the AMA again another claim without the link to them stating that.

Pragmatically, it's more likely to be given to Revenant. Razah is basically the grandfather of the class, they still have neither scepter nor focus, and possibly could give them kits in the form of urns, giving them a multitude of skill options. And we all know how Revenants complain about build diversity... ;)

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Summoning isn’t channeling.... and it doesn’t say that they are summoned from the Mists, and minions aren’t Spirits the only one close would be Shadow Fiend. And remember corpses aren’t exploitable objects due to game Engine and mechanics so no reanimating the minions from the actual dead bodies, same as how wells just erupt from the ground and not exploitable dead bodies.

Please show me where it says that Necromancers channel Spirits from the Mists to fuel their spells.

Actually They do. It's in the names of their skills. Spiteful spirit was a pretty popular one in gw1. You have your proof all over the game. You're just ignoring it. Blatantly for no reason other than a rev bias. Also I said I believe. Trying to find a minor comment back in 2012 would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Which they did talk about the ritualist being assimilated into other professions. Primarily necromancer and some guarding and a bit for ranger and maybe elementalist.

Also to channel something is to direct towards something or some place. So yes, summoning is channeling.

@ethanzephyr.7298 said:Pragmatically, it's more likely to be given to Revenant. Razah is basically the grandfather of the class, they still have neither scepter nor focus, and possibly could give them kits in the form of urns, giving them a multitude of skill options. And we all know how Revenants complain about build diversity... ;)

Pragmatically it's best given to necromancer. Revenant got the closet thing they're going to get to ritualist and it plays nothing like a ritualist. The revenant players can't even justify ritualist without channeling a ritualist legend. Which he'll at that point they could just channel a necromancer and be done with it. Mechanically the list of problems the rev would have with such a slow moving, preparation based support healer spec the rev suggestions I've read don't even try. They request basically what was already given to them in Kalla.

@Lily.1935 said:

Actually They do. It's in the names of their skills. Spiteful spirit was a pretty popular one in gw1. You have your proof all over the game. You're just ignoring it. Blatantly for no reason other than a rev bias. Also I said I believe. Trying to find a minor comment back in 2012 would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Which they did talk about the ritualist being assimilated into other professions. Primarily necromancer and some guarding and a bit for ranger and maybe elementalist.

Also to channel something is to direct towards something or some place. So yes, summoning is channeling.

Summoning isn’t channeling morning the slightest, I can summon someone to me that doesn’t mean that I am handling that person. Again stretching.

Are they channeling that spirit to fuel their spells? No. And Spiteful spirit is a hex not a spirit, and hexes are essentially curses.... again stretching.

Channeling and communing

Let’s look at what Revenant has that matches Ritualist.

• Channel Legends(aka spirits) from the Mists to Power their spells/abilities
  • Communing with the spirits from the Mist(Revenants actually hold conversations with the Legends that they are channeling.)
  • Use Blindfolds to help focus/channel from the Mists
  • Class symbol is extremely similar (its and Eye just like Ritualist’s)
  • Can summon members of Kalla’s Warband with Renegade(essentially spirits from the Mists.)
  • Empower allies with the powers granted by the Legends(aka spirits)

Let’s look what Necromancer has.

Right. They don’t Do any of those things.

TLDR

Both Thematically and Mechanically Revenants are the spiritual successor of Ritualists, there is no way around that, they channel long gone figures of the past to grant them spells and abilities, they commune with those Legends of the past, they can summon spirits, they can empower allies with the abilities granted by the Legends, they share the same signature blindfold for the same reasons as the Ritualists, they have a similar class icon as the Ritualist.