Ritualist as a Class? Or Elite Spec?

Lily.1935

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Ritualist falls closer to Revenant, and is thematically closer to Revenant based on ingame descriptions and certain mechanics portrayal of skills, I could see it being given as a ES but doubt it since it’s spiritual successor is already in game.

At the person who keeps saying that Revenants aren’t close to Ritualists if you go to the links on Ritualist and Revenant respectively, the descriptions of their classes are very similar in where/how they get their powers, how they help focus their powers, and how they function, ie Channeling Spirits/Legends from the mists to supply their abilities, the blindfold is only aesthetic in game, while in the lore of both classes they share the same purpose to assist them in channeling their powers better, they have a similar class icon of an Eye, they are both support oriented and combat oriented.

The revenant does not perform rituals in the way they are described in game. The revenant isn't a priest and no revenant has become a priest. They don't honor their ancestors. The revenant channels legends of the mists much like the dervish channels the power of the gods. Both revenant and necromancer does commune with the mists. But the you are limiting their scope a bit too much by comparing them.m to ritualist. The ritualist only communes with spirits of the underworld and realm of torment. Which the necromancer currently does. The necromancer does channel sprits. The revenant borrows knowledge from the legends they channel as well as magic. And lose that magic and seems to lose their unique knowledge when they release them. The revenant isn't limited to the dead. We have this suggested in the story but its possible they could channel living legends trapped in the mists or even legends of the future. The revenant also uses their own body as the medium. Something the ritualist does not do nor would they ever do it. The revenant also is a martial profession. And their identity is centered around using the legends to enhance their own performance. Like a dervish does with God magic. Ritualist and necromancer are both capable of this to a lesser extent but they don't maintain the identity of the spirits they absorb. The revenant has effectively perfected a single spell. They have very poor magic abilities aside from that one spell. Canonically the necromancer performs all the rights and rultiuals the ritualist would be doing.

And to help further drive the point home.

Sorry but the name of that NPC doesn’t drive home the point since it clearly states that the Npc can be one of 4 professions and the Necromancer is one of them and why it has Necromancer skills listed and not Ritualist skills and it even states that they aren’t the ritual profession from prophecies.

And dervishes assume an avatar of a god not channel it, while Revenants channel spirits.

For a profession that supposedly doesn't have anything in common with the necromancer they sure talk about death and harnessing the power of death a lot.... I'm reading some quotes from Ritualist NPCs from GW1.

They channel spirits which are from the dead, so yeah they would talk about the dead, but they aren’t using death magic..... Necromancers don’t do that, they Reanimate corpses and exploit those while using Death Magic..

The necromancer absolutely does channel spirits. This is cannon. It happens in the personal story. Hell, Trahearne does it right next to you. And if you actually read Last straw Marjory channels a spirit of a young boy to help her solve his murder. You can't say you've read the links if you've overlooked that major detail.

The little boy wasn’t being channeled... that’s like saying anyone that interacts with the spirits of Ascalon are channeling them...

And Traeherne wasn’t channelinng spirits he channels the magic of Orr when he performed the spell that cleansed the waters of Orr...

For someone that says they know the lore has some gaps and leaps and bounds.

I wasn't talking about that part. It was earlier in the story. He channels beings from the underworld when the group was surrounded by risen. Also there was a risen lich. Don't remember the story name.

Also, she did channel his spirit. He wasn't just roaming the streets like that. And its stated that another necromancer banished him. Something that ritualists are capable of doing. You're really trying to split hairs to disprove it, but the facts don't lie. Necromancer channel the dead, they commune with spirits, they call forth energies and beings from the underworld and realm of torment. Clearly we can see the only difference between them is the ritualist is just more limited in the scope of what they can do.

They don’t channel the dead they Reanimate the dead, and you keep making these claims without the parts to back them up Traeherne never channeled a Lich, the dead kids Spirit was there right after his death not from her channeling his spirit into herself or her magic she didn’t call upon his spirit from the Mists, you are stretching to make something fit that clearly doesn’t.

Yes they do. Read the skill descriptions. They say summon. The necromancer from gw2 doesn't reanimate corpses anymore. They channel them from the underworld. Cannon. I believe there was an AMA about it before. But again you are just factually wrong.

Summoning isn’t channeling.... and it doesn’t say that they are summoned from the Mists, and minions aren’t Spirits the only one close would be Shadow Fiend. And remember corpses aren’t exploitable objects due to game Engine and mechanics so no reanimating the minions from the actual dead bodies, same as how wells just erupt from the ground and not exploitable dead bodies.

Please show me where it says that Necromancers channel Spirits from the Mists to fuel their spells.

Only one class in Gw2 has that description on their magic.

Please link the AMA again another claim without the link to them stating that.

Actually They do. It's in the names of their skills. Spiteful spirit was a pretty popular one in gw1. You have your proof all over the game. You're just ignoring it. Blatantly for no reason other than a rev bias. Also I said I believe. Trying to find a minor comment back in 2012 would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Which they did talk about the ritualist being assimilated into other professions. Primarily necromancer and some guarding and a bit for ranger and maybe elementalist.

Also to channel something is to direct towards something or some place. So yes, summoning is channeling.

Summoning isn’t channeling morning the slightest, I can summon someone to me that doesn’t mean that I am handling that person. Again stretching.

Are they channeling that spirit to fuel their spells? No. And Spiteful spirit is a hex not a spirit, and hexes are essentially curses.... again stretching.

Channeling and communing

Let’s look at what Revenant has that matches Ritualist.
  • Channel Legends(aka spirits) from the Mists to Power their spells/abilities
  • Communing with the spirits from the Mist(Revenants actually hold conversations with the Legends that they are channeling.)
  • Use Blindfolds to help focus/channel from the Mists
  • Class symbol is extremely similar (its and Eye just like Ritualist’s)
  • Can summon members of Kalla’s Warband with Renegade(essentially spirits from the Mists.)
  • Empower allies with the powers granted by the Legends(aka spirits)

Let’s look what Necromancer has.

Right. They don’t Do any of those things.

TLDR

Both Thematically and Mechanically Revenants are the spiritual successor of Ritualists, there is no way around that, they channel long gone figures of the past to grant them spells and abilities, they commune with those Legends of the past, they can summon spirits, they can empower allies with the abilities granted by the Legends, they share the same signature blindfold for the same reasons as the Ritualists, they have a similar class icon as the Ritualist.

You clearly have never played gw1. I doubt you've played necro or the personal story either otherwise there is no way you'd make these claims. But welcome to the game!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lily.1935 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Ritualist falls closer to Revenant, and is thematically closer to Revenant based on ingame descriptions and certain mechanics portrayal of skills, I could see it being given as a ES but doubt it since it’s spiritual successor is already in game.

At the person who keeps saying that Revenants aren’t close to Ritualists if you go to the links on Ritualist and Revenant respectively, the descriptions of their classes are very similar in where/how they get their powers, how they help focus their powers, and how they function, ie Channeling Spirits/Legends from the mists to supply their abilities, the blindfold is only aesthetic in game, while in the lore of both classes they share the same purpose to assist them in channeling their powers better, they have a similar class icon of an Eye, they are both support oriented and combat oriented.

The revenant does not perform rituals in the way they are described in game. The revenant isn't a priest and no revenant has become a priest. They don't honor their ancestors. The revenant channels legends of the mists much like the dervish channels the power of the gods. Both revenant and necromancer does commune with the mists. But the you are limiting their scope a bit too much by comparing them.m to ritualist. The ritualist only communes with spirits of the underworld and realm of torment. Which the necromancer currently does. The necromancer does channel sprits. The revenant borrows knowledge from the legends they channel as well as magic. And lose that magic and seems to lose their unique knowledge when they release them. The revenant isn't limited to the dead. We have this suggested in the story but its possible they could channel living legends trapped in the mists or even legends of the future. The revenant also uses their own body as the medium. Something the ritualist does not do nor would they ever do it. The revenant also is a martial profession. And their identity is centered around using the legends to enhance their own performance. Like a dervish does with God magic. Ritualist and necromancer are both capable of this to a lesser extent but they don't maintain the identity of the spirits they absorb. The revenant has effectively perfected a single spell. They have very poor magic abilities aside from that one spell. Canonically the necromancer performs all the rights and rultiuals the ritualist would be doing.

And to help further drive the point home.

Sorry but the name of that NPC doesn’t drive home the point since it clearly states that the Npc can be one of 4 professions and the Necromancer is one of them and why it has Necromancer skills listed and not Ritualist skills and it even states that they aren’t the ritual profession from prophecies.

And dervishes assume an avatar of a god not channel it, while Revenants channel spirits.

For a profession that supposedly doesn't have anything in common with the necromancer they sure talk about death and harnessing the power of death a lot.... I'm reading some quotes from Ritualist NPCs from GW1.

They channel spirits which are from the dead, so yeah they would talk about the dead, but they aren’t using death magic..... Necromancers don’t do that, they Reanimate corpses and exploit those while using Death Magic..

The necromancer absolutely does channel spirits. This is cannon. It happens in the personal story. Hell, Trahearne does it right next to you. And if you actually read Last straw Marjory channels a spirit of a young boy to help her solve his murder. You can't say you've read the links if you've overlooked that major detail.

The little boy wasn’t being channeled... that’s like saying anyone that interacts with the spirits of Ascalon are channeling them...

And Traeherne wasn’t channelinng spirits he channels the magic of Orr when he performed the spell that cleansed the waters of Orr...

For someone that says they know the lore has some gaps and leaps and bounds.

I wasn't talking about that part. It was earlier in the story. He channels beings from the underworld when the group was surrounded by risen. Also there was a risen lich. Don't remember the story name.

Also, she did channel his spirit. He wasn't just roaming the streets like that. And its stated that another necromancer banished him. Something that ritualists are capable of doing. You're really trying to split hairs to disprove it, but the facts don't lie. Necromancer channel the dead, they commune with spirits, they call forth energies and beings from the underworld and realm of torment. Clearly we can see the only difference between them is the ritualist is just more limited in the scope of what they can do.

They don’t channel the dead they Reanimate the dead, and you keep making these claims without the parts to back them up Traeherne never channeled a Lich, the dead kids Spirit was there right after his death not from her channeling his spirit into herself or her magic she didn’t call upon his spirit from the Mists, you are stretching to make something fit that clearly doesn’t.

Yes they do. Read the skill descriptions. They say summon. The necromancer from gw2 doesn't reanimate corpses anymore. They channel them from the underworld. Cannon. I believe there was an AMA about it before. But again you are just factually wrong.

Summoning isn’t channeling.... and it doesn’t say that they are summoned from the Mists, and minions aren’t Spirits the only one close would be Shadow Fiend. And remember corpses aren’t exploitable objects due to game Engine and mechanics so no reanimating the minions from the actual dead bodies, same as how wells just erupt from the ground and not exploitable dead bodies.

Please show me where it says that Necromancers channel Spirits from the Mists to fuel their spells.

Only one class in Gw2 has that description on their magic.

Please link the AMA again another claim without the link to them stating that.

Actually They do. It's in the names of their skills. Spiteful spirit was a pretty popular one in gw1. You have your proof all over the game. You're just ignoring it. Blatantly for no reason other than a rev bias. Also I said I believe. Trying to find a minor comment back in 2012 would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Which they did talk about the ritualist being assimilated into other professions. Primarily necromancer and some guarding and a bit for ranger and maybe elementalist.

Also to channel something is to direct towards something or some place. So yes, summoning is channeling.

Summoning isn’t channeling morning the slightest, I can summon someone to me that doesn’t mean that I am handling that person. Again stretching.

Are they channeling that spirit to fuel their spells? No. And Spiteful spirit is a hex not a spirit, and hexes are essentially curses.... again stretching.

Channeling and communing

Let’s look at what Revenant has that matches Ritualist.
  • Channel Legends(aka spirits) from the Mists to Power their spells/abilities
  • Communing with the spirits from the Mist(Revenants actually hold conversations with the Legends that they are channeling.)
  • Use Blindfolds to help focus/channel from the Mists
  • Class symbol is extremely similar (its and Eye just like Ritualist’s)
  • Can summon members of Kalla’s Warband with Renegade(essentially spirits from the Mists.)
  • Empower allies with the powers granted by the Legends(aka spirits)

Let’s look what Necromancer has.

Right. They don’t Do any of those things.

TLDR

Both Thematically and Mechanically Revenants are the spiritual successor of Ritualists, there is no way around that, they channel long gone figures of the past to grant them spells and abilities, they commune with those Legends of the past, they can summon spirits, they can empower allies with the abilities granted by the Legends, they share the same signature blindfold for the same reasons as the Ritualists, they have a similar class icon as the Ritualist.

You clearly have never played gw1. I doubt you've played necro or the personal story either otherwise there is no way you'd make these claims. But welcome to the game!

Lulz making claims and assumptions again, yes I played Gw1 and yes I have played Necro, I have played every class except Engi,

again where’s the proof to back up your claims on Necro Channeling Spirits from the Mists to bestow Abilities and fuel their abilities, or Communing with the spirits from the Mists, or that Necromancer is more closely tied to Ritualist, it does none of those things listed above Necromancer is based on Necromancer, that’s it not on Ritualist. Their is a large handful of direct parallels from Ritualist to Revenant:

• Actually Channel Spirits from the Mists to bestow spells and abilities
  • Actually Commune with those spirits from the Mists
  • Actually summon spirits to aid in combat
  • Actually empower allies with the powers granted by the spirits
  • Share the same iconic Blindfold for the exact same reason
  • Share a class icon which is an eyeAnd these are all things in game for both the Players and Npc Revenant.....

Again both Thematically and Mechanically Revenant is the spiritual successor to Ritualist.

Again I will wait for the direct parallels and proof.

Just because you both can't be right doesn't mean you both can't be wrong. People keep trying to say which class is the spiritual successor of Ritualist. It's not Revenant or Necromancer. Guardian is the spiritual successor. It's all over their class. They already have Spirit Weapons in their base kit. Guardian is basically a melding of Paragon and Ritualist and would be the obvious choice over either Rev or Necro for such an elite spec, if it were to come about at all.

@Ceit.7619 said:Just because you both can't be right doesn't mean you both can't be wrong. People keep trying to say which class is the spiritual successor of Ritualist. It's not Revenant or Necromancer. Guardian is the spiritual successor. It's all over their class. They already have Spirit Weapons in their base kit. Guardian is basically a melding of Paragon and Ritualist and would be the obvious choice over either Rev or Necro for such an elite spec, if it were to come about at all.

@BlaqueFyre.5678@Lily.1935

The nitpicking of what is channelling and what is summoning or what is death magoc and what not is pretty much a waist of time.

First of all: if you do not want necro getting ritualist propose something else and dont argue why it wouldnt make sense magic wise.Ritualist profession does no longer exists and its 250 years past and it splittet into multiple professions. Monk, dervish and mainly paragon mixed with a bit ritu went into guard.The theme of channeling and the blindfold into rev and the astral spiritual magic partly into necro. Mechanic wise even ranger got something out if it.It does no longer exists.

Second: Why the hech should an E-spec design be crippled if the kind of e-spec does not exactly fit the definition of magic the profession is using?Mist magic makes sense, death magic makes sense, even spiritual holy magic of guard makes sense, it doesnt matter, this discussion is more how you would design it and not that it wouldnt fit lore wise. Its just an unneccessarry discussion and far from the point.Ppl that want necro, make a necro proposal.Ppl that want rev, make a rev proposal and the same goes for guard.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@Ceit.7619 said:Just because you both can't be right doesn't mean you both can't be wrong. People keep trying to say which class is the spiritual successor of Ritualist. It's not Revenant or Necromancer. Guardian is the spiritual successor. It's all over their class. They already have Spirit Weapons in their base kit. Guardian is basically a melding of Paragon and Ritualist and would be the obvious choice over either Rev or Necro for such an elite spec, if it were to come about at all.

The nitpicking of what is channelling and what is summoning or what is death magoc and what not is pretty much a waist of time.

First of all: if you do not want necro getting ritualist propose something else and dont argue why it wouldnt make sense magic wise.Ritualist profession does no longer exists and its 250 years past and it splittet into multiple professions. Monk, dervish and mainly paragon mixed with a bit ritu went into guard.The theme of channeling and the blindfold into rev and the astral spiritual magic partly into necro. Mechanic wise even ranger got something out if it.It does no longer exists.

Second: Why the hech should an E-spec design be crippled if the kind of e-spec does not exactly fit the definition of magic the profession is using?Mist magic makes sense, death magic makes sense, even spiritual holy magic of guard makes sense, it doesnt matter, this discussion is more how you would design it and not that it wouldnt fit lore wise. Its just an unneccessarry discussion and far from the point.Ppl that want necro, make a necro proposal.Ppl that want rev, make a rev proposal and the same goes for guard.

I'll make up a full list of traits and skills tomorrow night than. I have a pretty good idea 9n just how to do that. There already is quite a bit of internal sysnergy available to them and I can show that to a lesser extent.

Hell, might even try building one for revenant. Revenant is one of my favorite classes in GW2. But that one I'm running into quite a few very problematic snags in its design. Hmm I'll see what I can do. Necro first since that one is much easier to justify ritualist mechanics on.

@Lily.1935 said:

I'll make up a full list of traits and skills tomorrow night than. I have a pretty good idea 9n just how to do that. There already is quite a bit of internal sysnergy available to them and I can show that to a lesser extent.

Hell, might even try building one for revenant. Revenant is one of my favorite classes in GW2. But that one I'm running into quite a few very problematic snags in its design. Hmm I'll see what I can do. Necro first since that one is much easier to justify ritualist mechanics on.

Also. Since theme is important I'll be giving Necro/rit a trident and Rev/rit a scepter+torch.

@"Lily.1935"

I actually once thought out a rev E-Spec that would rather hit the dervish route.Its using razzah as a "legend" but as the class mechanic not the utilities.Utilities are glyphs that can be place wherever you like on the utility Bar.The class mechanic is the Legendary Avatar Razzah. You gain a new F2 abbility that lets you channel the avatar of your legend available which grants you 5 new weaponskills depending on legend. Using such a weaponskill counts as a Legendary Avatar skill and as a legend skill of your current channeled legend.The f2 is an upkeep that will not be cancelled by legendswap and it will count as a legendswap when you enter the "Avatar mode".So it taps into the old dervish elites. The glyphs should give more playstyle chances.Like the healing glyph on ventari will bind the tablet to your side and will just heal arround you when used or it will Block attacks when used on jallis and so on.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:@"Lily.1935"

I actually once thought out a rev E-Spec that would rather hit the dervish route.Its using razzah as a "legend" but as the class mechanic not the utilities.Utilities are glyphs that can be place wherever you like on the utility Bar.The class mechanic is the Legendary Avatar Razzah. You gain a new F2 abbility that lets you channel the avatar of your legend available which grants you 5 new weaponskills depending on legend. Using such a weaponskill counts as a Legendary Avatar skill and as a legend skill of your current channeled legend.The f2 is an upkeep that will not be cancelled by legendswap and it will count as a legendswap when you enter the "Avatar mode".So it taps into the old dervish elites. The glyphs should give more playstyle chances.Like the healing glyph on ventari will bind the tablet to your side and will just heal arround you when used or it will Block attacks when used on jallis and so on.

I thought of something similar only it was a legendary norn and each of the legends would correspond with a different norm spirit.

I'm working out how Rev could work. And functionally, Urns can't work like they did in gw1 on them. It's just not possible without the spec being bloated. But I have an idea for how to make the spirits work.... They won't be the utility skills though. It would function better if they are the mechanic and the utility has some interaction with them. Plus I need to consider how it could have some sysnergy with revenant traits. So the primary build would be Ritualist stance and centuar stance.

Necromancer has a much easier time. Shroud can become an urn. I have an idea that the grandmaster traits of the ritualist spec would actually change the skills of the urn much like how daredevil's grandmaster traits change the function of their dodge. Spirits also get to be the utility skills which means I can make them quite impactful. The 5 skills from the trident will come in handy as a support weapon.

There will be some overlap between the two since there is just a few notes that absolutely have to be hit for a spec.

Just a quick note of what the Developers probably think: I think they also believe revenant to be the successor of ritualist and not necromancer soley because the pvp title for revenant that calls them a master ritualist or whatever. Without that I think its a fair 50/50 between who is right based on some things. But it is also made abundantly clear in gw1 that ritualist interact with death and stuff differently than necromancers, its a whole different process and magic they are working with, in fact ritualists don't use magic. The blindfold is also a clear nod. I've also had someone give me the argument that since rev is a martial profession that it can't be closer to ritualist than necro, but thats ridiculous. The skill spirit strength in gw1 made it possible to channel "spirits" to imbue you with power to be a martial fighter, basically how revenant is. I would actually run a spear/spirit strength build in pvp in gw1 that was pretty fun using both weapon skills and spells on a caster profession. That is basically how the rev is,, but now it has a more advanced and powerful version of spirit strength that is basically its legend mechanic.

I may be on the revenant side, but I can't say the necro side is necessarily wrong. If I were to make a fake lore I would say there were a group of ritualist who focused on spirit strength and then eventually evolved into something similar to revenant, while maybe the majority of ritualists learned necromancer magic over time and just sorta shiftedn that way. But agian if these ritualists turned into necromancers, they are now using a totally different magic to obtain similar resaults.

@"ScottBroChill.3254" said:Just a quick note of what the Developers probably think: I think they also believe revenant to be the successor of ritualist and not necromancer soley because the pvp title for revenant that calls them a master ritualist or whatever. Without that I think its a fair 50/50 between who is right based on some things. But it is also made abundantly clear in gw1 that ritualist interact with death and stuff differently than necromancers, its a whole different process and magic they are working with, in fact ritualists don't use magic. The blindfold is also a clear nod. I've also had someone give me the argument that since rev is a martial profession that it can't be closer to ritualist than necro, but thats ridiculous. The skill spirit strength in gw1 made it possible to channel "spirits" to imbue you with power to be a martial fighter, basically how revenant is. I would actually run a spear/spirit strength build in pvp in gw1 that was pretty fun using both weapon skills and spells on a caster profession. That is basically how the rev is,, but now it has a more advanced and powerful version of spirit strength that is basically its legend mechanic.

I may be on the revenant side, but I can't say the necro side is necessarily wrong. If I were to make a fake lore I would say there were a group of ritualist who focused on spirit strength and then eventually evolved into something similar to revenant, while maybe the majority of ritualists learned necromancer magic over time and just sorta shiftedn that way. But agian if these ritualists turned into necromancers, they are now using a totally different magic to obtain similar resaults.

I'm Sure some devs do. But The successor of the Ritualist was the engineer, not the Revenant. I mentioned that in my first post and this has been mentioned multiple times in interviews with them. Ritualist was designed as "How can we make a gadget tech user without gadgets and tech?" sort of idea. And ritualist was born. So when it came time for GW2 they actually made the profession they wanted to make in the first place. I never claimed the Necromancer was the successor. No, I always knew it was the engineer. Most people do. The Title in PvP was just supposed to be cute. It wasn't supposed to mean anything. Revenant could never become a ritualist.

The Ritualist also did use magic in the lore. Its also hard to ignore that a good chunk of their spell designations were spells or the fact that they used restoration magic. The lore states that the Binding rituals themselves are not magic, but the urns, weapons and other spells absolutely are. But in the lore its stated that the Ritualist really took the use of magic after the gods gave it to them (according to human lore) very well and used it to make their practice more potent and reliable.

In terms of what Archetype the ritualist actually is? The Ritualist is a shaman. Which mechanically the engineer is still most similar. Thematically the Necromancer is. The revenant thematically is more of a death knight. Which does have cross over with necromancer... Ironically.

@"Lily.1935" said:In terms of what Archetype the ritualist actually is? The Ritualist is a shaman. Which mechanically the engineer is still most similar. Thematically the Necromancer is. The revenant thematically is more of a death knight. Which does have cross over with necromancer... Ironically.

Revenant is to Ritualist what Death Knight is to Necromancer, If we're going to use WoW classes for reference.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:They look similar on paper, but in practice, nobody plays pure turret spammer or gyro spammer Engineer because kits are too valuable -Also because turrets and gyros have been nerfed into the ground because of PVP whining (a fate that would also befall hypothetical ritualist spirits, incidentally, because PVPers hate anything AI-controlled)

@Elric.4713 said:

@"Lily.1935" said:In terms of what Archetype the ritualist actually is? The Ritualist is a
. Which mechanically the engineer is still most similar. Thematically the Necromancer is. The revenant thematically is more of a death knight. Which does have cross over with necromancer... Ironically.

Revenant is to Ritualist what Death Knight is to Necromancer, If we're going to use WoW classes for reference.

So Superfluously related. Got it.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:They look similar on paper, but in practice, nobody plays pure turret spammer or gyro spammer Engineer because kits are too valuable -Also because turrets and gyros have been nerfed into the ground because of PVP whining (a fate that would also befall hypothetical ritualist spirits, incidentally, because PVPers
hate
anything AI-controlled)

I use Gyros in Fractals and sometimes raids. Scrapper is a fairly decent healer.

Also, Sand Shades are much like totems that Shamans use.

@Lily.1935 said:

@"ScottBroChill.3254" said:Just a quick note of what the Developers probably think: I think they also believe revenant to be the successor of ritualist and not necromancer soley because the pvp title for revenant that calls them a master ritualist or whatever. Without that I think its a fair 50/50 between who is right based on some things. But it is also made abundantly clear in gw1 that ritualist interact with death and stuff differently than necromancers, its a whole different process and magic they are working with, in fact ritualists don't use magic. The blindfold is also a clear nod. I've also had someone give me the argument that since rev is a martial profession that it can't be closer to ritualist than necro, but thats ridiculous. The skill spirit strength in gw1 made it possible to channel "spirits" to imbue you with power to be a martial fighter, basically how revenant is. I would actually run a spear/spirit strength build in pvp in gw1 that was pretty fun using both weapon skills and spells on a caster profession. That is basically how the rev is,, but now it has a more advanced and powerful version of spirit strength that is basically its legend mechanic.

I'm Sure some devs do. But The successor of the Ritualist was the engineer, not the Revenant. I mentioned that in my first post and this has been mentioned multiple times in interviews with them. Ritualist was designed as "How can we make a gadget tech user without gadgets and tech?" sort of idea. And ritualist was born. So when it came time for GW2 they actually made the profession they wanted to make in the first place. I never claimed the Necromancer was the successor. No, I always knew it was the engineer. Most people do. The Title in PvP was just supposed to be cute. It wasn't supposed to mean anything. Revenant could never become a ritualist.

The Ritualist also did use magic in the lore. Its also hard to ignore that a good chunk of their spell designations were spells or the fact that they used restoration magic. The lore states that the Binding rituals themselves are not magic, but the urns, weapons and other spells absolutely are. But in the lore its stated that the Ritualist really took the use of magic after the gods gave it to them (according to human lore) very well and used it to make their practice more potent and reliable.

In terms of what Archetype the ritualist actually is? The Ritualist is a
. Which mechanically the engineer is still most similar. Thematically the Necromancer is. The revenant thematically is more of a death knight. Which does have cross over with necromancer... Ironically.

Thematically Revenant has more similar to Ritualist than a Necromancer ever will or are you going to completely ignore that ingame and in lore Revenants actually Channel the Spirits Of long Dead Legends from the Mists to provides their spells/abilities, actually Commune with those spirits, use the Blindfolds for the exact same reasons, summon spirits to assist them and others, a similar class icon, and they have the Ritualist Title for PvP.

There isn’t nearly as many if any actual direct parallels between Necromancer and Ritualist.

Mechanically yes Engineer was the closest on some mechanics originally.

And the only reason Revenant is a Heavy Armor Martial class is because Rytlock was a Warrior and he is the first Revenant, so the other Revenants follow suit and that’s why Revenant is called a Revenant and not Ritualist, because of that evolved distinction, and Rytlock learned his Magic from the Spirits Of the Mists.

@"Lily.1935" said:

In terms of what Archetype the ritualist actually is? The Ritualist is a shaman. Which mechanically the engineer is still most similar. Thematically the Necromancer is. The revenant thematically is more of a death knight. Which does have cross over with necromancer... Ironically.

Yeah I'm well aware engineer was supposed to fill the mechanical role of ritualist and failed at it. I know about spirit weapons on guard, turrets and kits on engi, and other sorts of ways they tried to translate ritualist stuff from gw1 to gw2, but they still never really replaced the ritualist. And to say you know that the title was supposed to be cute rather than just an actual sign that anet was trying to relate the two is just foolish. Sure maybe cute, but why do it if it has nothing to do with the class?

And then yeah I guess I was wrong about the magic part, but just because there restoration and channeling is magic doesn't make them any closer to being necromancers. The fact of the matter is that necro magic is often purely offensive, or at least it doesn't ever create without destroying. By this I mean they aren't huge buffers or supporters because their magic doesn't allow for it. There magic is purely for sustaining and deteriorating everything around them. On the other hand you have ritualist magic that goes both ways, because it is differen't magic. It's a mix between monk and necro in a way. The only reason necro would be given a ritualist spec is because it would be the only way for necromancers to recieve a support build. That is about it. Of course these "lore laws" aren't set in stone and anet can make necro magic do whatever they want.

Now you talk about the archetype, in which case you clearly state that you understand that there is a difference between a ritualist and necromancer. For all intents and purposes, ritualist is a shaman, a spiritual guru of sorts. And now necromancer is a necromancer, or warlock if you were to relate it to other common mmo tropes. Warlocks and shamans are different, agreed?

Revenant thematically is not a death knight. It's more so a death knight in playstyle, but not in theme. Thematically I'ts a specific type of martial ritualist. Someone who channels spirits to give them strength and fight. The thing with ritualist is it isn't dark or light like necromancer and monk, its a neutral middle ground.

Ritualists whole thing is closing there eyes and commune with mists in a sort of trance in order to support themeselves and teammates on the battlefield via spirits. That style and method of using magic and fighting is more similar to revenant. Ritualists are more like hippies, necromancers are more like goths. Both talk about weird afterlife stuff no one cares about, but that doesn't make them the same stereotype.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Thematically Revenant has more similar to Ritualist than a Necromancer ever will or are you going to completely ignore that ingame and in lore Revenants actually Channel the Spirits Of long Dead Legends from the Mists to provides their spells/abilities, actually Commune with those spirits, use the Blindfolds for the exact same reasons, summon spirits to assist them and others, a similar class icon, and they have the Ritualist Title for PvP.

There isn’t nearly as many if any actual direct parallels between Necromancer and Ritualist.

And the only reason Revenant is a Heavy Armor Martial class is because Rytlock was a Warrior and he is the first Revenant, so the other Revenants follow suit and that’s why Revenant is called a Revenant and not Ritualist, because of that evolved distinction, and Rytlock learned his Magic from the Spirits Of the Mists.

You're mistaken. They channel legends from the Mists. No where does it say those legends have to be dead. They just need to currently need to be a part of the mists. You're limited the scope of the revenant way too much.

And No one actually agrees with you on the Parallels with Necromancer and ritualist. Its just a headcanon of yours. Since in GW1 there was. Visually, Skills, everything. For gods sake, many of their skills have direct parallels in both classes. AND I can prove that very easily. More easily than it is looking for a 6 year old interview.https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Barbshttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mark_of_Painhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Painful_Bondhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Offering_of_Bloodhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Offering_of_Spirithttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Soul_Feasthttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feast_of_Soulshttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Order_of_Undeathhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Spiritleech_Aura

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/LamentationOH hey, look! It cares about corpses. Well dang! That was a bonus I didn't expect to find!

That's just in GW1. There clearly was a massive parallel between the two classes in that their only real difference is one dealt in the physical bodies while the other dealth in the spirit. But GW2 doesn't have that distinction.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Doomhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Doom

Tainted Shackles is strikingly similar to Binding chains.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tainted_Shackleshttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Binding_Chains

They also have an entire skill line based in spirit energies.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spectral

Now lets look at all the naming conventions and traits that have anything to do with Spirits and such.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Boon

One... ONE! Well, with all the "Revenant is ritualist" nonsense you've been spouting I'd expect a lot more than that. And that doesn't even have a GW1 corresponding skill. And just mentioning spirits isn't enough because Ranger mentions Nature spirits and so does Guardian. In fact, the guardian has more in common with Ritualist.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_weaponhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wrathful_Spirit

But if we're going to include Spirit Boon its only fair to include necromancer's spiteful spirit

The fact you can look at all the evidence and ignore all of it tells me A, you're trolling, or B you have such a strong cognitive bias toward Revenant that you can't admit that you're wrong based on pride. I already did admit that Revenant, Ritualist and Necromancer all share things in common. But you can't even seed that ground because it would ruin your flimsy argument.

@Lily.1935 said:

You're mistaken. They channel legends from the Mists. No where does it say those legends have to be dead. They just need to currently need to be a part of the mists. You're limited the scope of the revenant way too much.

And No one actually agrees with you on the Parallels with Necromancer and ritualist. Its just a headcanon of yours. Since in GW1 there was. Visually, Skills, everything. For gods sake, many of their skills have direct parallels in both classes. AND I can prove that very easily. More easily than it is looking for a 6 year old interview.

OH hey, look! It cares about corpses. Well dang! That was a bonus I didn't expect to find!

That's just in GW1. There clearly was a massive parallel between the two classes in that their only real difference is one dealt in the physical bodies while the other dealth in the spirit. But GW2 doesn't have that distinction.

Tainted Shackles is strikingly similar to Binding chains.

They also have an entire skill line based in spirit energies.

Now lets look at all the naming conventions and traits that have anything to do with Spirits and such.

One... ONE! Well, with all the "Revenant is ritualist" nonsense you've been spouting I'd expect a lot more than that. And that doesn't even have a GW1 corresponding skill. And just mentioning spirits isn't enough because Ranger mentions Nature spirits and so does Guardian. In fact, the guardian has more in common with Ritualist.

But if we're going to include Spirit Boon its only fair to include necromancer's

The fact you can look at all the evidence and ignore all of it tells me A, you're trolling, or B you have such a strong cognitive bias toward Revenant that you can't admit that you're wrong based on pride. I already did admit that Revenant, Ritualist and Necromancer all share things in common. But you can't even seed that ground because it would ruin your flimsy argument.

Every single one of those “Legends” are dead and they are communing with their spirits and hammering the spirits, and no none of what I said are head canon, they are literal direct parallels no matter how much to disagree otherwise.

And spiteful spirit isn’t a spirit it’s a hex.... common senses tells that. And it doesn’t say that they summon a spirit or channel a spirit to get the effect, do you need the definition of what a hex is?

Again show me where Anet explicitly states that Necromancer Channels spirits to grant them abilities or Communes with spirits, oh wait you won’t find anything.

The “Spectral” skills are not them channeling spirits literally it’s about taking life force from living characters and using that or assuming a spectral form or becoming a lich. Again a large stretch.

The bias is extremely clear and it’s from you wanting to shoe horn Necromancer as a Ritualist when they are based non Necromancer from the original game. While I’m looking at this objectively from the plethora of actual provided statements and in game lore/mechanics.

Show direct parallels of Gw2 Necromancer mirroring Ritualist. Remember I said direct parallels, not stretches of imagination.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

And No one actually agrees with you on the Parallels with Necromancer and ritualist. Its just a headcanon of yours. Since in GW1 there was. Visually, Skills, everything. For gods sake, many of their skills have direct parallels in both classes. AND I can prove that very easily. More easily than it is looking for a 6 year old interview.

OH hey, look! It cares about corpses. Well dang! That was a bonus I didn't expect to find!

Now lets look at all the naming conventions and traits that have anything to do with Spirits and such.

But if we're going to include Spirit Boon its only fair to include necromancer's

Every single one of those “Legends” are dead and they are communing with their spirits and hammering the spirits, and no none of what I said are head canon, they are literal direct parallels no matter how much to disagree otherwise.

And spiteful spirit isn’t a spirit it’s a hex.... common senses tells that. And it doesn’t say that they summon a spirit or channel a spirit to get the effect, do you need the definition of what a hex is?

Again show me where Anet explicitly states that Necromancer Channels spirits to grant them abilities or Communes with spirits, oh wait you won’t find anything.

The “Spectral” skills are not them channeling spirits literally it’s about taking life force from living characters and using that or assuming a spectral form or becoming a lich. Again a large stretch.

The bias is extremely clear and it’s from you wanting to shoe horn Necromancer as a Ritualist when they are based non Necromancer from the original game. While I’m looking at this objectively from the plethora of actual provided statements and in game lore/mechanics.

Show direct parallels of Gw2 Necromancer mirroring Ritualist. Remember I said direct parallels, not stretches of imagination.

I showed you countless times. We're done with this conversation. I'm ignoring you now since You can't seed any ground at all even when I've explicitly gave you dozens of links showing that fact.

@Lily.1935 said:

I showed you countless times. We're done with this conversation. I'm ignoring you now since You can't seed any ground at all even when I've explicitly gave you dozens of links showing that fact.

You have not give any links from Anet that says Gw2 Necromancer channel Spirits from the Mist to provide their spells/abilities or that they commune with the spirits from the Mists(I can show ingame that Revenant does both of those), you have provided links to your stretches of imagination that you want to be true.

I have provided direct parallels of Revenant to Ritualist (see above), and Anet even bestowed the Champions Ritualist title to players that play Revenant in PvP, they didn’t give that title to Necromancers.

Again provide the direct parallels, I will wait, but I already know the outcome.

@ScottBroChill.3254 said:

@"Lily.1935" said:

Yeah I'm well aware engineer was supposed to fill the mechanical role of ritualist and failed at it. I know about spirit weapons on guard, turrets and kits on engi, and other sorts of ways they tried to translate ritualist stuff from gw1 to gw2, but they still never really replaced the ritualist. And to say you know that the title was supposed to be cute rather than just an actual sign that anet was trying to relate the two is just foolish. Sure maybe cute, but why do it if it has nothing to do with the class?

And then yeah I guess I was wrong about the magic part, but just because there restoration and channeling is magic doesn't make them any closer to being necromancers. The fact of the matter is that necro magic is often purely offensive, or at least it doesn't ever create without destroying. By this I mean they aren't huge buffers or supporters because their magic doesn't allow for it. There magic is purely for sustaining and deteriorating everything around them. On the other hand you have ritualist magic that goes both ways, because it is differen't magic. It's a mix between monk and necro in a way. The only reason necro would be given a ritualist spec is because it would be the only way for necromancers to recieve a support build. That is about it. Of course these "lore laws" aren't set in stone and anet can make necro magic do whatever they want.

Now you talk about the archetype, in which case you clearly state that you understand that there is a difference between a ritualist and necromancer. For all intents and purposes, ritualist is a shaman, a spiritual guru of sorts. And now necromancer is a necromancer, or warlock if you were to relate it to other common mmo tropes. Warlocks and shamans are different, agreed?

Revenant thematically is not a death knight. It's more so a death knight in playstyle, but not in theme. Thematically I'ts a specific type of martial ritualist. Someone who channels spirits to give them strength and fight. The thing with ritualist is it isn't dark or light like necromancer and monk, its a neutral middle ground.

Ritualists whole thing is closing there eyes and commune with mists in a sort of trance in order to support themeselves and teammates on the battlefield via spirits. That style and method of using magic and fighting is more similar to revenant. Ritualists are more like hippies, necromancers are more like goths. Both talk about weird afterlife stuff no one cares about, but that doesn't make them the same stereotype.

In theme its a Death knight. They are extremely martial who use dead energies. That's a death knight. Well, Revenant isn't so limited to just the dead, but you get the picture... maybe.

Shamans and warlocks aren't all that different. The Warlock in most games is a bit more liniar than the Shaman, being debuffers primarily where as the Shaman has debuffing and buffing. Which the necromancer did do in GW1, but currently lacks in GW2 much to the outrage of the entire Necromancer Community.

And Ritualists? Happier? Defiantly not. They're stiffer, sure. Happier? Hell no! one of the Functionalities of the Ritualist in GW1 was that they would make their spirits pay for the cost of their potent magics. Where as Necromancer's took that pain onto themselves. Ritualists were pretty Dark. Much darker than you're giving them credit for. The Spirits they summoned were literally shackled and writhing in agony. They were forcibly pulled from the Underworld to serve a living being against their will. Ritualists were arguably worse. Where as Necromancers afflict the living and those who are enemies while reanimating corpses, the ritualist continues the dead's suffering.

"Where the Ranger lives as one with the spirit world, the Ritualist can and will be its master." — The Guild Wars Factions Manuscripts

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Strawhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Marjory%27s_Story:_The_Last_Straw

Read it. Again and again and again! Once you're done go away because you clearly have such a major bias that you can't see past your own nose. I'm done talking with you.

@"Lily.1935" said:

And No one actually agrees with you on the Parallels with Necromancer and ritualist. Its just a headcanon of yours. Since in GW1 there was. Visually, Skills, everything. For gods sake, many of their skills have direct parallels in both classes. AND I can prove that very easily. More easily than it is looking for a 6 year old interview.https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Barbshttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mark_of_Painhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Painful_Bondhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Offering_of_Bloodhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Offering_of_Spirithttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Soul_Feasthttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feast_of_Soulshttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Order_of_Undeathhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Spiritleech_Aura

I'm sorry but although the skills are almost parallels in terms of what it does on paper, they are totally different in what the suggestion of what the magic is. Ritaulists are clearly feasting on spirit energy and using spirit energy to perform all these skills. Necro on the otherhand is clearly leeching the life energy from physical beings. Even feast of souls and soul feast are different in what the skill is doing. The necro one is eating a dead corpse basically, possibly eating the soul suggested by the skill name. The ritualist one is in no way feasting on a dead corpse and is just repurposing spirit energy it had already summoned and brought in from the mists or wherever. Offering of spirit and blood seem basically the same thing at first, basically a blood letting for energy. The difference is the necromancer can just make a sacrifice of their blood for power while the ritualist can basically use spirit energy if its within earshot. The necromancer doesn't have the ability to do this on their own, not without taking ritualist as a second profession and using what is clearly different spells. Spiritleech aura and order of undeath similarities are sorta a stretch because all they are are minion buffing abilities. I'd make the clear distinction that necro makes sacrifices to use his magic while the rit doesn't, but I don't think these skills are that closely related just because its a common type of ability for summoner classes. The same can sort of be said for barbs, mark of pain, and painful bond, but I will say these are more similar.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/LamentationOH hey, look! It cares about corpses. Well dang! That was a bonus I didn't expect to find!

This one is a good example, I agree it supports your argument. If I were to plays devil advocate and think of any excuse of why it doesn't it would be that they included corpses as part of the function just due to the nature of the skill and the thought that maybe spirit availability wouldn't be adequate.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Doomhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/DoomSame name, totally different skills that in no way function the same or share any similarities outside of a one word name.

Tainted Shackles is strikingly similar to Binding chains.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tainted_Shackleshttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Binding_Chains

I would almost say this is similar if magical chain skills were a unique thing, heres a few:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chains_of_Lighthttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/EntangleOh, and rev has two..https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Forced_Engagementhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shackling_Wave

They also have an entire skill line based in spirit energies.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spectral

Now lets look at all the naming conventions and traits that have anything to do with Spirits and such.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Boon

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_weaponhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wrathful_Spirit

But if we're going to include Spirit Boon its only fair to include necromancer's spiteful spirit

The whole theme is channeling spirits. The spirits are then channeled and the skills we are left with are not "spirit named skills", they are the terrestial skills that the spirits we are invoking used when they were alive. the reason we don't have a bunch of skills called spirit strike, or spectral walk, or any of that is because none of the spirits and legends we are communing with are ritualists. That's the whole point. In this theory that revenants are the spiritual and thematic successor of ritualist we are assuming that we are not running around using channeling, restoring magic, or spawning power. In fact it's a different, almost advanced version of communing. Instead of summoning some paper thin spirit weakly into the material world, we commune the spirit into our own bodies and let them takeover. This spirit that takes over our bodies can be of any profession. That's why shiro has mobile, asssassin like skills. This is why you can't use the "well revenant barely has any skill names or anything from ritualist" argument. Shiro is not going to have any ritualist abilities because he himself was never a ritualist.

Our combat and utility abilities as well as traits are not ritualistic outside of a few mist-imbued weapon attacks. Why? well our trait lines go in accordance with the legends that are communed, let me repeat, communed, these spirits are communed into our bodies. So outside of invoaction there should be no "ritualist" type traits. That's because these traits coincide with other professions.

Instead of using ashes or weapons as a medium for channeling and communing, we now use our bodies as the medium. that's the ritual, thats the ritualistic sacrifice that the revenant makes. It allows itself to get partway possessed by a dead guy/gal in order to gain power. The way revenant then uses this legends/spirits skills is similar to when a ritualist would use the ashes or weapons of a canthan "legend or spirit" to use their skills are strengthen them, or even protect them. If ritualist had an ash skill for shiro I would suspect it would behave similarly to revenants elite jade winds skill.

@Lily.1935 said:

Read it. Again and again and again! Once you're done go away because you clearly have such a major bias that you can't see past your own nose. I'm done talking with you.Again none of those say communing from the Mists or channeling from the Mists, literally the boy died right next to her and never moved on to the Mists like a lot of spirit in game that never moved on and everyone can interact with...

Those are a desperate stretch to shorhorn the Necromancer as a ritualist.